Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379766 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #665 on: January 02, 2014, 03:30:23 AM »
Sure, I know. Maybe I should have said "I haven't heard any nu-metal that sounds anything like St. Anger". I think that regardless of whether you like St. Anger, you'll have to admit the sound is kind of unique. They might have wanted to make something like the nu-metal trend going on back then, but they have created something that has some influences from nu-metal but really doesn't sound like it at all. I don't see it as an attempt to make a nu-metal album and failing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #666 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:53 AM »
I haven't heard any nu-metal that sounds like St. Anger.

“and failed"
Er, no.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like St. Anger, but it has nothing to do with nu-metal, and I have absolutely no idea why you would think that was what they were going for.

I think they wanted to go for a garage rock vibe - raw and simple. If that's what they wanted then they got the right sound, so fair play to them, I just don't really enjoy the songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #667 on: January 02, 2014, 06:28:37 AM »
KILL KILL KILLL KILLLLL !!! KILLLL AAIIIIIIIII KILLL !!!!! KILL KILL !!!!!!!!!

:metal DROP C TUNING ! ARE WE BR0000TAL Z YET !!! KILLLLLL

Compelling argument.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: January 02, 2014, 08:56:33 AM »
Compared to The Outlaw Torn or f.i.x.x.x.e.r which is just masterful in every way it sounds embarrassingly childish.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #669 on: January 02, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
I'll throw my support toward those who think it sounded like nu-metal. I listened to that "genre" for a few years and nu-metal was the first thing that came to mind when I heard SA.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jammindude

« Reply #670 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
I haven't heard any nu-metal that sounds like St. Anger.

“and failed"
Er, no.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like St. Anger, but it has nothing to do with nu-metal, and I have absolutely no idea why you would think that was what they were going for.

I think they wanted to go for a garage rock vibe - raw and simple. If that's what they wanted then they got the right sound, so fair play to them, I just don't really enjoy the songs.

I never saw any correlation to nu-metal at all.   When I think of "nu metal", I think of bands like Korn....and there was always a bit of that "electronic element" thrown in.   For me, that's one of the defining characteristics of "nu-metal" because it's one of the things that set it apart from other metal bands at the time.    Not that it hadn't been done before...but Korn really popularized it as a sound.

I don't think SA had any elements of that whatsoever.   Just sounds like an attempt at the "garage band" sound. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #671 on: January 02, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
I guess if I listen hard enough I can hear some of the nu-metal influences, but I still don't think SA sounds all that nu metal at all.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #672 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
St. Anger isn't nu-metal.

It's Metallica's attempt to be nu-metal.

There's a difference. The thing that throws people off is the god awful production values. But basically it's Metallica trying to write an album that appeals to those nu-metal kids out there with their angsty angry lyrics and their lack of guitar solos which ran head on into the decision to make it sound like pure D shit.

You gloss that up with a good production and trust me, you'll see where people are coming from. 
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #673 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
I'd much rather have an album of " Outlaw Torn " and " Mama Said " than fake aggression like on " All Within My Hands " ...

How is the aggression "fake" and how are you able to tell it's fake?

KILL KILL KILLL KILLLLL !!! KILLLL AAIIIIIIIII KILLL !!!!! KILL KILL !!!!!!!!!

:metal DROP C TUNING ! ARE WE BR0000TAL Z YET !!! KILLLLLL

Compelling argument.

I'd say so. and I'd also say Kotowboy is my personal favorite at, and objectively winning, this thread.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #674 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
I don't think of St. Anger as nu-metal. I believe one of the main reason it's sometimes called nu-metal is because of the lack of solo's. St. Anger is well know by many as being an album where Metallica chose not to perform guitar solo's.

I kinda see why some may accuse it of being nu-metal. But at the same time i really don't believe it is. The garage band sound of it is not something you hear in nu-metal. Nu-metal usually has very polished and deeply crushing heavy and simple riffs. This is not St. Anger. But i can see why someone might say it.

And i don't think of St. Anger as being a super artistic record. Just a more experimental record then usual that took a risk.

I love the term Art-Rock and Art-Metal. This is not Metallica, but they've done a few things that are around the Art-Rock neighborhood ;p The orchestra performance i have not heard except No Leaf Clover. But with this and Lulu, Metallica shows that they are more ambitious in the artistic expression area then most other popular metal and rock bands.

But I call Lulu an Art-Rock album. Just listen to it. Metallica is quite and artsy band sometimes. I wonder what they'll do in the future. Clearly they still have a strong desire to create music and are more willing then ever to  do new things.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #675 on: January 02, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Huh, "artsy" is not a term I think I've ever heard applied to Metallica... :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #676 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:55 AM »
I really don't think that SA und Lulu are disliked due to being so "artsy" (which they honestly aren't) and different, but simply because of the terrible songwriting and lyrics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: January 03, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »

I'd say so. and I'd also say Kotowboy is my personal favorite at, and objectively winning, this thread.

I cannot, and therefore won't, understand that sentence.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »

I seem to recall a lot of Some Kind of Monster blabbing about how happy and calm they all are, and Hetfield directly saying how you don't need to be angry to write angry music.

That was Lars yeah. Which made no sense to me. How can you say that you can make aggressive music without feeling aggression when you've clearly been at each other's throats for the past 2 years ? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #679 on: January 03, 2014, 07:01:46 PM »

I seem to recall a lot of Some Kind of Monster blabbing about how happy and calm they all are, and Hetfield directly saying how you don't need to be angry to write angry music.

That was Lars yeah. Which made no sense to me. How can you say that you can make aggressive music without feeling aggression when you've clearly been at each other's throats for the past 2 years ? :lol

Because they set their anger free. SET IT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*sloppy double kicker*
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cable

« Reply #680 on: January 03, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
Medium tempo riffs, with a share of them being on one string. Chords rarely venture away from the lowest two strings. Said riffs are on lower, drop tuned guitars (a first and only time in their career), and the aforementioned solos being absent. These are all things associated with numetal, and the style was finishing its run of main popularity during the sessions.
---

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #681 on: January 03, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
You know.  All of this talk about St. Anger makes me want to listen to the album again.  Maybe, it is not as bad as I thought it was the last time I played in its entirety. Famous last words.

I think the one problem I had with the album is that the album kinda dragged on and made some of their songs a heavy chore to listen to. 

The opposite can be said about Death Magnetic since songs like That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss, and The End of the Line, amongst others, despite being 7-8 min. songs, were so very enjoyable that it did not feel like the song length.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #682 on: January 03, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
You know.  All of this talk about St. Anger makes me want to listen to the album again.  Maybe, it is not as bad as I thought it was the last time I played in its entirety. Famous last words.

I think the one problem I had with the album is that the album kinda dragged on and made some of their songs a heavy chore to listen to. 

The opposite can be said about Death Magnetic since songs like That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss, and The End of the Line, amongst others, despite being 7-8 min. songs, were so very enjoyable that it did not feel like the song length.

While not as bad as St Anger, I felt DM was very padded to artificial song lengths. All of those songs could have been killer 4-5 minute songs in the vein of the Black Album, but then they often have those sloppy instrumental sections that add nothing to the song, and are difficult to listen to for me.
As I said, it's not as bad as St Anger in that regard, which had no variety at all, but to me it was still one of the biggest flaws of DM.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cable

« Reply #683 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
I get both points. While I have heard the whole album, I only bought two songs. This Was Just Your Life I feel could go longer, or doesn't drag. I love the verse riff and verse melody.

The other song I bought, My Apocalypse, defiantly does have an awkward instrumental section Blob. And the song is on the short end in the scope of the album!

---

• DT.net Member
« Reply #684 on: January 03, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #685 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
black_floyd just took the lead.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #686 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
I think Death Magnetic was a result of and a response to all the criticism for St. Anger. And i remember when St. Anger was first announced it was described as being raw, heavy, gritty etc. I remember a lot of their critics being like 'hey, this may be good. Maybe they're back'. And yea, it sounded as if it was gonna be like the early albums. Of course it wasn't, but the description they publicized still describes what we did get. I find this interesting, because Metallica has heavy, thrashy, gritty music in them, and St. Anger was just a different approach to this raw garage sound they've always had. So many doubted the fact they could still play classic thrash metal.

Who was it in Metallica that said Korn was the future of metal? It seemed like that was true for awhile, but definitely not anymore. I do find it funny how when asked Lars mentioned the Arctic Monkeys as being one of his favorite current bands, cuz you KNOW he is aware of the backlash he would get. But seriously though, what bands are these guys fans of an admire right now? I'm sure they have mentioned newer bands they like. Anyone know?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #687 on: January 03, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »
James has spoken well of Dehaan.

Offline Onno

« Reply #688 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:32 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #689 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »
I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good. Too bad they had to spoil it by putting a cover on it that looks like a female reproduction organ on the front of it.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DT.net Member
« Reply #690 on: January 04, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »
Death Mingenetic

Offline NotePad

« Reply #691 on: January 04, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good. Too bad they had to spoil it by putting a cover on it that looks like a female reproduction organ on the front of it.

Yes!!! That is exactly the thought i had the first time i saw the cover!

It was literally the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #692 on: January 04, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »

You guys have *serious* issues.    You're equating a vagina with A COFFIN SHAPED GRAVE. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #693 on: January 05, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »

You guys have *serious* issues.    You're equating a vagina with A COFFIN SHAPED GRAVE.

Makes me wonder if NotePad was being sarcastic.

I only see it if I force myself to anyways. Can't say I've ever heard this comparison anywhere. :|

• DT.net Member
« Reply #694 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:14 AM »

Offline Onno

« Reply #695 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:40 AM »
What the hell  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:27 AM »
:zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:52 AM »

Funnily enough I saw a coffin in a grave surrounded by magnetic field lines in dirt.

:dunno:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #698 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »

Like throwin' a hot dog down a hallway...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #699 on: January 05, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
Someone needs to do a study on the merits on the cover of Death Magnetic as a Rorschach test.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.