Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381236 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
I would've picked something like Disposable Heroes - deep cuts off the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBPln1a2dk

This is an awesome version of that song.  :metal  Enjoy !

Cool - thanks.   Not sure if there's enough bass in there  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
Here's a random set I'd like;

Blackened
Frayed Ends of Sanity
Master of Puppets
Whiplash
Thorn Within
The Struggle Within
Invisible Kid (yeah, that's right)
The Thing That Should Not Be
The Shortest Straw
Ain't My Bitch
Astronomy
Creeping Death
Sanitarium
Unforgiven II
Bleeding Me
The Call of Ktulu
Damage Inc.

Fight Fire With Fire
One
Fade to Black
Battery

I'm in  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #562 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:19 AM »
https://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=61

Very predictable. Frayed Ends WAS #10 but now it's slipping down rapidly and surprise surprise - Sad and Sandman are both there.

sigh...

Take Frayed Ends out of that poll and you have a very ordinary Metallica setlist. Well done everyone. :slowclap:

You have the opportunity to hear ANY Metallica song you want and you vote for the ones they play most frequently.
Disgusting. Not enough rarities in there. I'd actually want a song or two from St. Anger in there.

I never got the hype for Sad But True.

It's good on the album but it's never good live.
Indeed. I love it on the album but it just lacks a punch live.

Here's a random set I'd like;

Blackened
Frayed Ends of Sanity
Master of Puppets
Whiplash
Thorn Within
The Struggle Within
Invisible Kid (yeah, that's right)
The Thing That Should Not Be
The Shortest Straw
Ain't My Bitch
Astronomy
Creeping Death
Sanitarium
Unforgiven II
Bleeding Me
The Call of Ktulu
Damage Inc.

Fight Fire With Fire
One
Fade to Black
Battery

:hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2013, 03:58:31 AM »
Looking back at that set I wrote, I like it.  It has a couple of the classics in there but lots of rare songs and songs that you wouldn't think of.  Seems to flow okay too.  Even throwing the odd Thorn Within and Invisible Kid would work well mixed in the set.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »
Finally watched Some Kind of Monster in it's entirety. Wow, that's a long haul....but somehow I manage to regain some respect for the guys for sticking to their guns. Found myself rooting for them in the end....sappy me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
I like how it kinda lightens up for the final act. Although i'd have preferred their original idea which was to make a film about making an album.

Although they kinda did that with Mission Metallica.

However - my one niggle is that - at no point did anyone explain exactly "why" St Anger sounds so uncompromising.

It was supposed to sound like a band making their first album - but in this day and age - anyone can afford decent production.

Some of the extra footage on the DVD is better than the actual film . Like the Ja Rule scene. Just a load of absolutely talent-free

spongers sitting around gambling while their vocalist just shouts some shit into a microphone. :lol classic comedy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #566 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »

Very predictable. Frayed Ends WAS #10 but now it's slipping down rapidly and surprise surprise - Sad and Sandman are both there.

sigh...

Take Frayed Ends out of that poll and you have a very ordinary Metallica setlist. Well done everyone. :slowclap:

You have the opportunity to hear ANY Metallica song you want and you vote for the ones they play most frequently.
Well yeah, that's the whole problem with this "by request" thing. You just get a generic setlist of all the popular stuff that they play all the time anyway.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #567 on: December 03, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
I would've picked something like Disposable Heroes - deep cuts off the classics.
Brilliant choice.

I thought this voting thing would be the opportunity for some hard core fans to pick some slightly more obscure songs yet fan favorites, but no, same old stuff. Quite disappointing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:58 AM »
Pics and setlist from their Antarctica gig yesterday:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/metallica_perform_in_antarctica_official_photos_and_setlist_available.html

Can't believe they didn't play Trapped Under Ice.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #569 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:35 AM »
lol Antarctica? Wow.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #570 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
lol Antarctica? Wow.

Penguins are Metallica fans too! :JayOctavarium: :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
I can't believe they actually did it.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #572 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
Officially in Dethklok territory. I hope they play on the top of a volcano next.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:49 PM »
On the top of?

Try in.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: December 09, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
Metallica doing a tour inside active volcanoes in 2016.

The Fight Fire With Fire Tour.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
No
Jump In the Fire Tour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
 :metal Gimme Fuel

Gimme FIRE !!!

WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING INA VOLCANO LARS ?!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #577 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
No
Jump In the Fire Tour.

Set list, of course, doesn't include Jump In The Fire.

Actually, this would be a dreadful idea. They've been obsessed with stage sets falling apart and (since Hetfield's mishap with the pyro) things being on fire in the show since the late 80s. They'd cause the volcanoes they were playing in to erupt and bury the audience in six foot of ash.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: December 09, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Sounds pretty damn metal to me.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #579 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:57 AM »
Btw, judging from those pics, Hammet's getting grey....although it suits him, somehow... :D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: December 10, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »
:lol i'm pretty sure Hetfield is totally white now under the hair dye .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #581 on: December 10, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »
Full set:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7USiW1LQCU

Guitars kept going a bit out of tune, but I guess when it's that cold, there's not much you can do about stuff like that.  Overall, pretty cool performance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: December 14, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
FUCK YES METALLICA IS COMING DOWN TO BOGOTA

I also found this James' quote about Load:
I'm still happy with 'Load' but I've stopped listening to it. It came to a point after recording it that I just couldn't stop listening to it because it was so powerful, but after a year or so of it was like "Well, that's enough!". I wish that I could play more songs of it, like "Bleeding Me". We like that song, we like to play it and it's pretty intense but back when we did the fan reaction was kind of "Bluuuuuh" so we stopped playing it. People could start asking us "Why don't you play 'Bleeding Me' anymore?" and we could answer it's their fault".

What do you think?

Offline Cable

« Reply #583 on: December 14, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

sigh...

After the song shuffled on today (with the crazy bass cover/boost from GH), it really is a shame this has NEVER been played live. Wouldn't the intro chants be killer live? I didn't think the song was *that* hard, but then again, I'm not a drummer and it probably is for Lars.
---

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: December 14, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »
Wouldn't the intro chants be killer live?
They are. They play the intro in most of their shows to get the people sing along. Then they play something else, usually the cover song of the concert.

On the other hand Here's the Buenos Aires poll

mitebcool

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: December 14, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »
Woah.   :omg:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #586 on: December 14, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »
Check the other polls. The Buenos Aires one will probably also turn into a greatest hit show like others, given time. It's just ridiculous.

Offline Cable

« Reply #587 on: December 14, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
Wouldn't the intro chants be killer live?
They are. They play the intro in most of their shows to get the people sing along. Then they play something else, usually the cover song of the concert.

Ahh. That's a nice little, lame twist; the song we never played to get excitement, then into a cover when we have 9 albums of original content!  :facepalm:
---

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: December 14, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Check the other polls. The Buenos Aires one will probably also turn into a greatest hit show like others, given time. It's just ridiculous.

I know I'm the odd one out here, but I'm afraid I honestly don't see what's so ridiculous about it.  Having seen a number of the live hits myself, I felt they were excellent choices for the live atmosphere, and I don't blame people for wanting to hear them. 

Here's the way I think about it: if you're going to your first Metallica concert and you desperately want to hear the hits, should you vote for more obscure choices just to be cool, or should you vote for what you actually want to hear?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #589 on: December 14, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »

I know I'm the odd one out here, but I'm afraid I honestly don't see what's so ridiculous about it.  Having seen a number of the live hits myself, I felt they were excellent choices for the live atmosphere, and I don't blame people for wanting to hear them. 

Here's the way I think about it: if you're going to your first Metallica concert and you desperately want to hear the hits, should you vote for more obscure choices just to be cool, or should you vote for what you actually want to hear?

I see your point there.  Then again, to some that haven't seen a Metallica show, but have seen a lot of live footage and proshots of them playing the greatest hits songs, I can understand it if people want to see them play something a little more obscure which may make their 1st experience more special.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #590 on: December 15, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »

If I'm going to see ANY band live, whether it's for the first time or the tenth time, I want to hear a mix of songs from across their catalogue. That Knebworth list only includes one song post-Black Album, which is a cover song. That's incredibly narrow and boring.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: December 15, 2013, 02:35:13 AM »
Well, just to clarify, I'm not trying to say that you guys are wrong for wanting to hear more variety.  I just think it's kind of natural that the results of a poll like this are going to lean toward the already established live favorites. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: December 15, 2013, 04:50:14 AM »
For me - i've heard so many Metallica live recordings from their website that If i saw them for the first time - i'd want mostly rare stuff. That would make it that more special that you got to hear those never-played songs and not Sad, Seek, Sand AGAIN.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Not Marco Minneman, goddamnit!
« Reply #593 on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »
Seek and Destroy would be a good song if it was by AC/DC but, for Metallica, it's bland even when compared to the rest of KEA. I can sincerely say that everything other than Hit the Lights and Metal Militia is better than it. Some days I even like MM better too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #594 on: December 15, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
Just watched a few moments from the Antarctica gig. James Hetfield still got it! I expected much less, considering the age. Still a powerful voice, still quite a lot of range! And 'Fade To Black', he still has good pitch control as well!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .