Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379701 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #455 on: October 24, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
And Justice for All... on the radio on my drive home from dinner. Fuck Yea son!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #456 on: October 25, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
So I was watching this ungodly motherfucker of a video the other night, and something occurred to me. Newsted is the original Portnoy. They both quit. They were both replaced by somebody vastly superior in terms of talent. Both bands took a devastating hit in their live show because of the intangibles that both brought. I really haven't been able to look at either band in the same light with the new guys. No point in having a Portnoy/Mangini discussion; that things been beaten to death elsewhere. Anybody here really think Metallica is the same band with Trujillo, though? The guy's 10x the bass player Newsted was, but that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not Metallica anymore, AFAIC.

That 1989 Seattle show is the best concert DVD hands down.  Metallica was at the top of their game.

Yup, I was just coming into the thread to post this but saw you beat me to it. Hetfield from 85-89 is absolutely untouchable.

Offline makleod

« Reply #457 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
So I was watching this ungodly motherfucker of a video the other night, and something occurred to me. Newsted is the original Portnoy. They both quit. They were both replaced by somebody vastly superior in terms of talent. Both bands took a devastating hit in their live show because of the intangibles that both brought. I really haven't been able to look at either band in the same light with the new guys. No point in having a Portnoy/Mangini discussion; that things been beaten to death elsewhere. Anybody here really think Metallica is the same band with Trujillo, though? The guy's 10x the bass player Newsted was, but that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not Metallica anymore, AFAIC.

That 1989 Seattle show is the best concert DVD hands down.  Metallica was at the top of their game.

I went to both nights....those shows were amazing.   (it was filmed over two back to back nights)
Interesting!  Had no idea the Seattle show was over two nights...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: October 28, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Yeah if you watch Seattle Binge and Purge- Guitars and clothes change during songs.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
So Het went jamming with some kids. And sang Enter Sandman. In the E tuning. Holy shit, did he just travel to 1994? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSsK5OZvWw

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
How awesome would it be to see them start playing all of their pre-Load stuff in E again? A boy can dream.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #461 on: November 12, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
So Het went jamming with some kids. And sang Enter Sandman. In the E tuning. Holy shit, did he just travel to 1994? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSsK5OZvWw

I love the top comment -
"the drummer is still better than lars." :lol
The sad part is that the drumming on this song actually is better than Lars manages on that song. Rock solid.

That whole thing was great to see. Original key, no pitch correction, presumably no (or little) practice with these kids. Strangely, Hetfield's pitch was much better when he was using more growl, than when he tried to sing it cleanly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »
Holy shit, after hearing that I've just realised how much better the guitar sounds in E tuning. Wow. And his vocals sound great! Why don't they just play everything in the tuning that it was recorded in?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »
I guess because they're always on the road it's easier for Hetfield's voice if they're toned down... or something.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 13, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
It's because Lars can't keep up.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #465 on: November 13, 2013, 07:21:20 AM »
lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #466 on: November 13, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »
Holy shit, after hearing that I've just realised how much better the guitar sounds in E tuning. Wow. And his vocals sound great! Why don't they just play everything in the tuning that it was recorded in?

Well being on tour singing for over 2 hours every other night is a little different than singing one song, one night and thats it.  They've been playing a half-step down for years now to, I guess, making it a little easier on James' voice.  The funny thing is, a half-step isn't that much, so I don't know how much easier that actually is on his voice, maybe he feels more comfortable singing in that key now, since they have been doing it so long.  This recording being in E does sound really cool though, and I agree, it totally reminds me how much better the guitar part sounds in E rather than Eb.

It's because Lars can't keep up.

:lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
I wonder if the Antarctica gig will get a frosty reception...

:neverusethis:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:19 AM »
I'd be surprised if they don't play Trapped Under Ice.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
I'd be surprised if they don't play Trapped Under Ice.

Surely it's a no-brainer. But this is the band who played in Mexico for 8 nights and played the same set each night AND played THEIR OWN FESTIVAL named Orion and DIDN'T PLAY ORION.

:clap:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
Lest we forget Through the Never not being in the movie of the same name? All we need now is a tour called "St. Anger."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »
And

" The New Album ".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: November 22, 2013, 04:43:58 AM »
Lars : " If the 90s were our "slump" then i'm fine with that ".

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that 2000 onwards is Metallica's worst period so far.

- St. Anger - an almost universally panned album.
- Some Kind Of Monster - hilarious and entertaining - if only in a voyeuristic and schadenfreude kinda way.
- 2004 world tour - unbelievably sloppy performances all round.
- Death Magnetic - a decent album - but nowhere near their best by any means - suffers from abysmal sound.
- 3D movie - the movie nobody wanted and almost nobody went to see.
- Lulu - not as bad as it's reputation & not a bona fide Metallica studio album but still a blot on their already filthy copybook.

What say you ?

Compare that to 1991 - 1999 - where they put out The Black Album and from 96 - 99 put out four albums in four years.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2013, 05:17:39 AM »
I agree, the 2000s is their slump.

The '90s kicked off with their most successful album by far, which they toured for years. Then they released a double album (which while not great, is still miles better than anything that's come since), and there was Garage Inc (the new material, obviously) and S&M, which were both alright.

Since 2000, they've recorded 2 albums universally considered dog shit, and another that is a poor rehash of music from their prime that only highlights that they're not in their prime any more, and a doco movie that shows how far they've fallen.

The 90's was not up to their '80s stuff overall, but in comparison to what they've done since, I'd gladly have that back.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2013, 05:22:20 AM »
I remember when the 'black album" came out almost all the diehard Metallica fans I knew called it a sell out and now they'd give anything to have that sort of album as a new release  :biggrin: Same sort of thing happened with Queensryche Empire.

Personally I rate Master of Puppets much higher than anything before or since.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2013, 05:24:10 AM »
I loved being a Metallica fan in the 90s.

They had this cool swagger that the SKOM movie utterly destroyed. Cunning Stunts was my first live Metallica experience and at the time - it sounded absolutely flawless to me and I pretty much watched it to death  -

- to the point where if the sound was down and I saw 5 seconds from the concert I knew what song and what line was playing :lol

I played Reload to death in 1997 - whilst playing Tomb Raider on ps1 and it just seemed to work.

S&M blew me away too. The idea of a Metal band and an orchestra. It just seemed to be so obvious.

I disappear was the last remnants of that era of Metallica. From then on it was just one "wtf?!" after another.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
If we're doing "decades" Then surely 1983 - 1993 is the best decade since it includes all their best albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #477 on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
SKOM was an embarrassment, and is cannot believe they did a behind the scenes movie like that.

It was incredible footage. I really felt bad for Kirk during it.

The best part though was Rob's audition.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2013, 05:37:15 AM »
I wish they'd gone with the original idea - which was to be a making-of the new album documentary.

I'd have enjoyed that. The parts in the movie where they're actually working on music and recording are the best IMO.

I know James wanted Metallica to be seen "as real people" - but they ( meaning James and Lars ) came across as

extremely spoiled. Not least in the radio section where they don't understand that they get played on this one station so they have to

do a jingle for them in return. :lol

" What ? They won't play our music unless we do something for them ?! Let's write a song about this ! "

• DT.net Member
« Reply #479 on: November 22, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
Compare that to 1991 - 1999 - where they put out The Black Album and from 96 - 99 put out four albums in four years.

That's quite a stretch. Load and Reload are one album's sessions. You already know that so I'm not pretending that you weren't aware but just highlighting that fact as a backdrop for the rest of my point. Half of Garage Inc. was rereleased covers from earlier in their career which I'm pretty certain you're aware of as well considering how much you like them. S&M, while a fantastic performance which I love to this day, includes exactly two new tracks and -Human is quite ho-hum anyway. No Leaf Clover is swell though.

In total, we have one original album which was admittedly (by Lars in an interview in the mid-90s) stretched into two so that Metallica could more quickly fulfill their current (at the time "current") contractual obligation and negotiate a new deal. Many bands write two albums or more worth of material for a single album and have the good sense to trim it down to make a stronger single album. Metallica opted to not do that and the legacy of those two albums, by and large, is that most people legitimately like 5-10 songs from those 27 and have a fairly negative view for the majority of the remaining tracks. Also, most folks seem to only have that "Wow!" feeling toward like 3-5 of those songs.

So, the point I'm trying to establish is that the "four albums in four years" angle is, at best, one bloated album, other bands' songs, and a live album with one good new song (once again, an excellent performance though.)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #480 on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »
Yeah, Metallica is a sinking ship now..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: November 23, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »
:tup
The whole " we're got 5 new songs....we'll start writing soon....after this movie.....around christmas....in the new year.....in spring.....after the antarctica gig....."

I'm usually quite patient but they really don't want to make a new album.

If they'd split in 1999 - S&M would have been the perfect send off with none of the shit that was to come.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: November 23, 2013, 03:08:14 AM »

So, the point I'm trying to establish is that the "four albums in four years" angle is, at best, one bloated album, other bands' songs, and a live album with one good new song (once again, an excellent performance though.)

It's still a better run than anything they've put out since.

If I had to choose between erasing from existence Load, Reload, S&M and Garage

or

St Anger, Death Magnetic, Lulu & Thru The Never 

- I know which i'd choose.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:18:20 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #483 on: November 23, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

It's hilarious that you think arguably the biggest rock band on the planet is a sinking ship. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #484 on: November 23, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

It's still a better run than anything they've put out since.

If I had to choose between erasing from existence Load, Reload, S&M and Garage

or

St Anger, Death Magnetic, Lulu & Thru The Never 

- I know which i'd choose.

I'd erase everything from Load to St. Anger myself. But I'm that cantankerous bastard who was actually around in the 90s when Metallica was anally raping their legacy on a regular basis in every interview, so I might not be the best judge.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #485 on: November 23, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

It's hilarious that you think arguably the biggest rock band on the planet is a sinking ship.

Then its one gigantic sinking ship.

Sadly, its what I feel about Metallica. Death Magnetic was ok, I enjoy a few songs, but I don't think they can do that again. Also, I don't consider Lulu a Metallica album. Its a Lou Reed album Feat. Metallica, NOT a Metallica album feat. Lou reed..you don't know how much it bugs me when people consider that album theirs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jammindude

« Reply #486 on: November 23, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
They may not be a sinking ship *financially*....but I think BJ was referring to Metallica on a CREATIVE level.

And on that point...I wholeheartedly agree. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: November 23, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »
Yeah. Metallica was their last truly great album. L&R had some great songs stretched over two albums and then they were truly out of ideas. They've been running on fumes since then. Taking an average of 6 years between studio albums.

And yes - Lulu was mostly Lou Reeds idea. And it was his album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #488 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
They may not be a sinking ship *financially*....but I think BJ was referring to Metallica on a CREATIVE level.

And on that point...I wholeheartedly agree.

Exactly....it was cool getting another Fade to Black with the awesome One outro.

Offline TL

« Reply #489 on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
I've heard on a few occasions that basically, Het would like to record more often, and that basically Lars dragging his feet keeps that from happening. These rumors are probably exaggerated because of what a lot of people think of Lars at this point, but it seems like something with an edge of truth to it.