Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379768 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #420 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »
Lars is entirely right on that point. They should make music when they want to make music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: October 09, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
I am a fan that feels they do have a responsibility. Sort of. Responsibility probably isn't the right word, but sometimes you've gotta look at yourself through the fans eyes.

And while they do rotate their set;lists, I feel like they've been playing the same set for the last 7 years or so. C'mon!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: October 09, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
I'm a fan that doesn't give a flying potato fuck how often they make albums but don't appreciate the snob douchebagery of Ulrich's attitude towards the fans who do.
On the other hand here's how Hetfeild responds to the new record question.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
"Hopefully" start "sometimes in the spring".  :lol

I'm pretty much done with Metallica.

If the next record is great - fantastic. But if it's a stinker - I think they should really call it a day. If it takes them another 7 years to release album #11 then they will all be pushing 60 by then.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
They were one of the first metal bands I got into, and I still like their music a lot.  Justice is my favorite...I like how the sound is so "brutal"...my best way of describing it.  Plus it helped me get over a bad breakup, I blasted it in my ears a lot, it kind of numbed me.  Ride is #2, I like the dark vibe of it and the cover, and I don't mind Escape.  I gotta say DM is #3, it's a good mix of new and old.  Load and Reload are just OK to me, they're not as hardcore as the earlier albums.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
I like Load & Reload a lot more than most Metallica fans.  I don't mind spinning some of St. Anger now and again and Death Magnetic is just "decent".

But with all their extra-curricular activities - they're slowly becoming more and more of a laughing stock.

They're going to be remembered as the St. Anger 3d movie and Lou Reed album band instead of the Master of Puppets and Black album band.

Offline TL

« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
Hey Lars, I don't think Metallica is at risk of 'churning out records'. It's just a baffling silly thing for him to say, given their output these days. I could see him saying that if they fans were demanding a new record every year or two. However, it's more the fans wondering out of curiosity if they're working on anything, given it has been five years since their last release, and they're saying it will probably be six or seven by the time it's said and done.

Obviously a band has no obligation to the fans to put out records, but when you're only putting out a record every six or seven years, it's not unreasonable for people to ask when you're releasing new material.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
Metallica "churning out records"???  What a joke.  They can't stop touring long enough to make an album, where DT makes an album every 2 years and we never hear of them being broke.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
Metallica "churning out records"???  What a joke.  They can't stop touring long enough to make an album, where DT makes an album every 2 years and we never hear of them being broke.

DT's business model is a shining example of how to run a band. This is why they've continually grown in popularity for their 30 year career.

If they're not in the studio making a record - they're touring or an album is imminent. There's always something going on with them.

Metallica are either doing mini-tours every so often, doing some bizarre pet project or doing nothing.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #429 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they opened a sports bar chain called The Wing that Should not be.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »
Metallica Anal Bleaching Cream : Whitened is the end !

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #431 on: October 21, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
So I was watching this ungodly motherfucker of a video the other night, and something occurred to me. Newsted is the original Portnoy. They both quit. They were both replaced by somebody vastly superior in terms of talent. Both bands took a devastating hit in their live show because of the intangibles that both brought. I really haven't been able to look at either band in the same light with the new guys. No point in having a Portnoy/Mangini discussion; that things been beaten to death elsewhere. Anybody here really think Metallica is the same band with Trujillo, though? The guy's 10x the bass player Newsted was, but that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not Metallica anymore, AFAIC.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
Rob might play with his fingers but jason had fucking loads more attitude and could do back up vocals.

Mangini is technically better than Portnoy in every way. ( as far as actual ability & technique goes ).

When Jason left - Metallica did nothing for two years, then released the SKOM movie, released St. Anger, Lulu, Thru The Never and Death Magnetic.

When Portnoy left - Dream Theater carried on writing and releasing great albums as if nothing had happened.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #433 on: October 21, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
Rob might play with his fingers but jason had fucking loads more attitude and could do back up vocals.

Mangini is technically better than Portnoy in every way. ( as far as actual ability & technique goes ).

Well you mentioned vocals for Newstead, which is an area that they are lacking now without MP.

But really, I don't see a comparison. They both quit, that's about it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TL

« Reply #434 on: October 21, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
In both cases, I'd say it was sad to see the old member go, but in both cases, they brought in someone fantastic.
I would say that DT has done a better job in carrying on as far as new music output goes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #435 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »
I love Jason as a person and a bass player....but the material Metallica released with him was, to me, the most subpar material.   (with the exception of AJFA, which was not as good as the previous two albums, but was their last GREAT album)

I had really hoped he would go back to F&J at some point.    THAT would have been incredible, and I think it may have taken F&J to a whole new level. 

I had high hopes for his stint with Voivod, but that was disappointing.   And don't get me started on that supergroup....disaster.

Jason is an awesome guy, but he's made some incredibly poor decisions after leaving Metallica. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
I always thought Jason should front a band but it's a shame that it took him ten years to get around to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Bart, I thought about your post and I hear what you're saying, but I don't really look at it that way. Jason was cool and all, but Trujillo has enough old school cred, and I think has has a better chance of keeping them honest. The problem that is plaguing the Trujillo era is the lack of material. He's been in the band for ten years and they've made one album with him. I'm actually taking it over at least two of the four Jason albums.

And J Dude, I thought F&J lost more when Troy Gregory left them than when Jason left. Their album this year was very disappointing considering Gilbert, Carlson, and Kelly Smith were all back.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #438 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »

And J Dude, I thought F&J lost more when Troy Gregory left them than when Jason left. Their album this year was very disappointing considering Gilbert, Carlson, and Kelly Smith were all back.

But Troy left a long time ago just as Jason was really hitting the big time with Metallica.   It would have been more ideal if he had returned when he left Metallica around 2000.   If that reunion would have happened, he would have been on the albums from My God going forward. 

But even if he would have still decided to do the thing with Voivod...having him on the last couple of F&J released I think would have been really cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Yeah it would've. But Jason Ward had been there since Troy left. Bass isn't their problem.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #440 on: October 22, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
Bart, I thought about your post and I hear what you're saying, but I don't really look at it that way. Jason was cool and all, but Trujillo has enough old school cred, and I think has has a better chance of keeping them honest. The problem that is plaguing the Trujillo era is the lack of material. He's been in the band for ten years and they've made one album with him. I'm actually taking it over at least two of the four Jason albums.
Respectfully disagree. The lack of new material doesn't explain why their old songs no longer have any balls when they play them now. Part of that is that they're old and they're complacent; not Trujillo's fault. At the same time, I have to wonder if they'd be old and complacent with Newsted still in the band. I saw Newsted essentially front that band during a Summer Sanitarium show, and it was intense as all fuck. Four years later I saw them with Trujillo and it was pretty subdued and lacked liveliness. Quite frankly they seem bored when they play now; just going through the motions.

Well you mentioned vocals for Newstead, which is an area that they are lacking now without MP.
Which led to a switch to a click-track to accommodate sequenced vocals. While I seem to be the only one that cares about that, it is nevertheless a significant change in how they approach the live aspect of their band.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2013, 04:21:03 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »
GIMME FUEL !

GIMME FIRE !

GIMME GLOVES, HAT AND JACKET !

Offline dparrott

« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
more like gimme fuel FOR my fire

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: October 24, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #447 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
https://www.kerrangradio.co.uk/music/news/metallica-to-play-antarctica-this-december/

Metallica to play in Antarctica?

Is it just me or does this sound like something directly out of a Metalocalypse episode? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #448 on: October 24, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
...aaaaaaaaaaaand Metallica have just announced it on their website & Facebook. DAFUQ

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:10 AM »
What the factual uck.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #450 on: October 24, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
And the audience will hear it through headphones - no amplification.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #451 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
What's hilarious is that Fall Out Boy thought of it first.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline makleod

« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
So I was watching this ungodly motherfucker of a video the other night, and something occurred to me. Newsted is the original Portnoy. They both quit. They were both replaced by somebody vastly superior in terms of talent. Both bands took a devastating hit in their live show because of the intangibles that both brought. I really haven't been able to look at either band in the same light with the new guys. No point in having a Portnoy/Mangini discussion; that things been beaten to death elsewhere. Anybody here really think Metallica is the same band with Trujillo, though? The guy's 10x the bass player Newsted was, but that just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's not Metallica anymore, AFAIC.

That 1989 Seattle show is the best concert DVD hands down.  Metallica was at the top of their game.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #453 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »
those late 80s/early 90s live shows were off the freaking hook awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #454 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »

That 1989 Seattle show is the best concert DVD hands down.  Metallica was at the top of their game.

I went to both nights....those shows were amazing.   (it was filmed over two back to back nights)