Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379776 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #385 on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
I feel like - when people talk about Kill - Justice that Metallica and Load should be included too.

People just automatically dismiss Load & Reload as being in the same ballpark as St. Anger.

Like - " Of Course Load & Reload are shit ".

It's like everyone just says every odd-numbered Trek film is shit - when that includes TMP, Generations and 2009 - which are all fine films and that doesn't include Nemesis - which is universally seen as the worst one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #386 on: October 03, 2013, 07:02:59 AM »
I feel like - when people talk about Kill - Justice that Metallica and Load should be included too.

People just automatically dismiss Load & Reload as being in the same ballpark as St. Anger.

Like - " Of Course Load & Reload are shit ".

It's like everyone just says every odd-numbered Trek film is shit - when that includes TMP, Generations and 2009 - which are all fine films and that doesn't include Nemesis - which is universally seen as the worst one.

I definitely include The Black Album with the first 4 albums (and think it's better than all of them), but Load and Reload I'd put in a group of their own. They're not the same era or strength as the first 5, but they don't deserve to be lumped in with St Anger by any stretch either.

And it bugs me when people say something to the effect that DM is their best album since AJFA. Um no. The Black Album kicks the shit out of it. The Black Album is a very well crafted accessible metal album, that is much more complex and layered than a lot of people give it credit for. DM is poorly done recycled thrash.

And TMP IS shit. :lol But we already have another thread for that. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: October 03, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
Metallica has great songs - immaculate production - great playing from everyone - nice overdubs and guitar harmonies.

DM Is mostly decent songs with awful production, sloppy playing from everyone except james & rob and terrible solos / no vocal harmonies.

Unforgiven III has that orchestrated intro but it's still the worst song on the album / worst unforgiven ( in my book ).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: October 03, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »
The lack of vocal harmonies is a big one to me. It makes the songs feel incomplete and raw. Obviously they were going for the raw thrash sound, so that's just personal taste, but that's a big one for me.
The Black Album and Load/Reload have a lot of harmonies for Metallica, and that's why I prefer a lot of those songs over their other material. They feel like developed songwriting, with a strong sense of musicality and melody, and not just grunting out an E (which Hetfield had mastered!)

But I only listen to the GHIII version of the album, so the production is just fine. The album was very well recorded, with good guitar and bass tones, and a nice natural drum sound. Unfortunately what ended up on the final album is unlistenable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »
The studio diaries for DM made it sound like it was going to sound fantastic. Such a shame they fell at the final hurdle after all that good work.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »
And it bugs me when people say something to the effect that DM is their best album since AJFA. Um no. The Black Album kicks the shit out of it. The Black Album is a very well crafted accessible metal album, that is much more complex and layered than a lot of people give it credit for. DM is poorly done recycled thrash.

Yeah, just because Black Album is more "mainstream and acessible" and DM is "thrash (pretty poor, generic and recycled), they dismiss the better songwriting of the first.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
I like The Memory Remains, come at me bro
To add to this, not only do I really like it, the video is by far my favorite Metallica video.

I just loved that whole 360 swing thing! It just looks so cool.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
Watching the movie again, this time with Trujillo in San Antonio, Totally unplanned, pretty cool. Trujillo did a little introduction and now we're waiting for the movie to start.best thing about this is the crowd I met and hanging out with here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
* POSSIBLE SPOILER *

Someone mentioned online that the guy's name is Trip because he takes a drug at the start and hallucinates the entire thing.

Slow Start : https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=metallica2013.htm

Offline TL

« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
Slow Start : https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=metallica2013.htm
Not really. That total is only up to Wednesday, and it didn't hit wide release until Friday. From the information given there, including the daily numbers, it looks like it actually had a pretty good per-screen average.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #395 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »
Ah, the Trip thing does make sense. Why else would that scene be there?

Anyways, the movie was pretty good. I enjoyed the stage gimmicks, and most of the regular movie scenes were pretty entertaining, although they basically made no sense. The concert footage was well captured, and the 3D was amazing. It really added a lot of depth.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: October 07, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »
Lars @ BFI London Q&A  Highlights :

No Thru The Never Tour til After the next album.
•The Thru The Never DVD will feature the entire concert filmed for the movie PLUS the entire narrative seperate from the movie.
•2014 is all about the new album.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:31:27 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #397 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »
  • I still haven't nor will I ever practice

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
 :tup He definitely practices. He was never that great to begin with but his playing on the 2012 Black Album anniversary tour compared to the 2004 World Tour was like night and day.

I don't want this to just turn into a Lars sucks thread - but he has admitted to practicing a lot more than usual lately. He'll never be 1988 Lars ever again but he was never that great to begin with [ by his own admission ].

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #399 on: October 07, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
Pretty much, I still wouldn't call him a great drummer but at least he's a lot better than in the early 00s.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 07, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBaTbAP-Pu8&t=3m5s

They're pretty solid here except for Kirk's solo.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Everyday I'm thankful that Kirk left Exodus. He's really a detriment these days.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
He's responsible for helping to write Creeping Death and Enter Sandman but his live solo playing is just non existent.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
Even his solos on Death Magnetic were just not terrible at best.
I'm not saying he hasn't put out great stuff, their past albums speak for themselves, but he's really bad these days.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
Lars has improved in terms of stamina/speed I think, but he still has no sense of timing. He needs to practice with a metronome and re-learn his own music on a technical level. He botches every fill, and every pause just ends up equally short because he doesn't count it out, and the tempos are always just as fast as he can manage, because faster is apparently more thrash or something.

When I saw them live a year or two ago, it felt like the band had just learned to work around his problems and play in time with him regardless of how out of time he was.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Back to the front next album.

It's pretty much written in stone that they'll be working on the next album for the vast majority of next year.

Lars mentioned in the Q&A that they will be going into the studio in November / December.

If we take the studio turnaround of Death Magnetic as a template - the next album could be out at the end of 2015 at the latest.

Pretty sure they entered the studio Spring 2006 for DM and it was finished spring 2008 for a September 2008 release.

The Metallica forum is full of people saying " lol 2020 for next album!!!111!!!111 " But I can't see it taking as long as DM took. If they don't do as many Escape From The Studio mini-jaunts then the turnaround will be much quicker.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
Lars has improved in terms of stamina/speed I think, but he still has no sense of timing. He needs to practice with a metronome and re-learn his own music on a technical level. He botches every fill, and every pause just ends up equally short because he doesn't count it out, and the tempos are always just as fast as he can manage, because faster is apparently more thrash or something.

When I saw them live a year or two ago, it felt like the band had just learned to work around his problems and play in time with him regardless of how out of time he was.

Usually when that happens it means it's time to get a new drummer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
I hope they go with a decent producer again this time.

Rick Ruin just turns up once a month and go Yep or Nope and takes all the credit.

They need a decent producer who will help them write the best material - not just say " Do Master Of Puppets again " then goes to a BBQ.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 07, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
 :omg: Oh God - i want this rumour to be true !!!!

Word is going around that Kevin Shirley will produce the next album !

•Lars said that the most recent iron Maiden album is a big clue to what their big announcement will be tomorrow.
•Kevin is "moving to California for a while"
•Kevin produced mixed their recent Deep Purple cover - so they might have liked his work .

:hefdaddy Please let this be true. A Metallica album produced by Kevin Shirley would be amazing. The next best thing to Steven Wilson doing it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:27:44 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
:omg: Oh God - i want this rumour to be true !!!!

Word is going around that Kevin Shirley will produce the next album !

•Lars said that the most recent iron Maiden album is a big clue to what their big announcement will be tomorrow.
•Kevin is "moving to California for a while"
•Kevin produced mixed their recent Deep Purple cover - so they might have liked his work .

I hope that's true. Kevin Shirley knows how to get a great heavy mix, and I'd be confident in him getting Metallica sounding their best.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
Plus FII & Joe Bonamassa albums all sound great.

If Kevin could bring that Ballad Of John Henry sound to Metallica - all's good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
Plus FII & Joe Bonamassa albums all sound great.

If Kevin could bring that Ballad Of John Henry sound to Metallica - all's good.

I'm not familiar with Joe Bonamassa, but he has an excellent track record with DT imo, and the latest Journey album sounds excellent. If anyone can make Metallica sound good again, it's him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 07, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
Listen to the JB song " The Ballad Of John Henry ".

or even " Black Lung Heartache "

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #413 on: October 07, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
Driving in car... Unforgiven comes on radio. Sabrina (11) this she hears "Never free lemonade so I dub thee unforgiven"

I can't unhear it now...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »
Enter Sandman :

Dream of War. Dream Of Liars. Dream of Dragons fire.

AND OF BAKED APPLE PIE !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
Listen to the JB song " The Ballad Of John Henry ".

or even " Black Lung Heartache "

Just checked out Black Lung Heartache. Great sounding production. Check out City of Hope or Edge of the Moment by Journey. A great drum and bass sound on that album.

So how reliable is this Kevin Shirley rumour? I'm going to be really disappointed if it turns out not to be true now. :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #416 on: October 08, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »
Hmmh. I don't really like how Iron Maiden albums produced by Kevin Shirley sound. But then again, he produced FII, so he's not that bad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: October 08, 2013, 05:45:40 AM »
I'd love it to be true but it probably isn't.

Mind you - when Rick was rumoured to be producing DM - everyone thought it would be false.

Whoever does it - they seriously need to make a good sounding album again.

Black thru S&M all sounded fantastic.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: October 09, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
METALLICA's Lars Ulrich has acknowledged in a new interview with U.K.'s Kerrang! magazine that the band's next studio album is unlikely to arrive before 2015 at the earliest. The drummer explained: "Obviously, there are a lot of people asking where the next record is. We're going to make another record, but like I said before, we don't really feel this kind of… what's the word? I guess 'responsibility' is probably the right word. We don't feel this inherent responsibility to just churn out records whenever people want them. [Adopts a sarcastic voice] 'I'm sorry! Let me slap myself on the wrists and go make a record for you!' We'll get 'round to it again."

Haha.. douche, just say you dont wanna do it.
Full article
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »
Well it's a double - edged sword.

If they go in the studio and churn out records willy-nilly every year for the sake of it - then we get albums with a few great tracks and a lot of filler.

( load / reload )

If they feel compelled to take their time and stock up on great material first and get around to it when they feel ready - so be it.

At least they're not like TOOL who keep promising a new album every year but never seem to produce one.

At least Lars tells it like it is - if he says there won't be an album til 2015 then it will be out in 2015.