Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379734 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »
Eh, I don't care. Death Magnetic's my favorite Metallica album (I'm not joking, the first five albums are 50% listenable each and the Load albums are awful) so I'm already satisfied and I'll take whatever at this point.

I will never feel like my Metallica opinions are weird ever again. 

:lol

I'd be very disappointed if this next album just ends up being DM2, because they really need a different approach, and it needs to be better. And having remotely listenable production would be a plus too.

They should really listen to some modern and good-sounding metal albums to grab some inspiration sound-wise.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2013, 11:26:35 PM »
They should cover DT's cover of Master of Puppets.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2013, 12:54:54 AM »
If we get good solos and nothing hillbillyish ala the loads, I'll be a happy camper.

We won't :(

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2013, 03:23:42 AM »
If we get good solos and nothing hillbillyish ala the loads, I'll be a happy camper.
I don't think we'll get hillbilly stuff. But we'll get shitty solos probably. And uninspired drumming.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2013, 03:30:38 AM »
I don't think we'll get hillbilly stuff. But we'll get shitty solos probably. And uninspired drumming.

I'd settle for uninspired drums, I'd just be thrilled if they were played in time. And I'd settle for hillbilly solos, for the same reason. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2013, 03:49:53 AM »
Apart from the horrible production (GH3 rip for the win), Death Magnetic was a great return to form, dunno what all the fuss is about.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2013, 04:03:26 AM »
I love DM, but it's not as good as the first 5 albums. The songs are sometimes too long, the solos are cool but often have a lot of wah, and the drumming is really boring. And of course, the production was Rick Ruined.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2013, 04:38:30 AM »
I definitely prefer it to the first 2 albums. The ones I definitely like more than DM are MOP, AJFA and Load - possibly the Black Album as well, but I'm not sure.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2013, 04:43:41 AM »
I definitely prefer it to the first 2 albums. The ones I definitely like more than DM are MOP, AJFA and Load - possibly the Black Album as well, but I'm not sure.

I'd say MOP, AJFA anc the Black Album are better than DM, but other than that, it's pretty damn good.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2013, 04:46:44 AM »
Apart from the horrible production (GH3 rip for the win), Death Magnetic was a great return to form, dunno what all the fuss is about.
This. I also enjoyed the solos quite a bit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
I'd rank all of their albums above DM except for St Anger. Load and Reload aren't classics, but I still love a lot of those songs more than anything on DM. Even the best songs on DM have too many faults imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
With a little bit more work - That Was Just Your Life, Cyanide & All Nightmare Long could have been Metallica classics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
the first five albums are 50% listenable each and the Load albums are awful

In what way are the Loads awful ?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
the first five albums are 50% listenable each and the Load albums are awful

In what way are the Loads awful ?

The sarcastic response is "every way"  :lol

The more honest response is: they're two albums full of Metallica becoming a full on boogie hard rock band. And they weren't very good at it. I know, it's cool now to look at the Loads and find diamonds in the rough, but they're not there. Metallica is a heavy metal band, and the Loads saw Metallica run as fast away from being a heavy metal band as was humanly possible. And that's not even getting into the absurd image changes the band went through at the same time, which just made the overall experience that much worse. Metallica spent from 1995 to the release of Death Magnetic basically denying they were Metallica, and the Loads were the worst symbols of that notion. Uninspired, bland songwriting, attempts to be something they utterly weren't...hell, that's enough reason to say the Loads were awful right there.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2013, 07:07:27 AM »
 :angry: btw. It's not *COOL* to say you've always liked the Loads.

I HAVE always liked them. I played Reload to death when it came out.. I can barely bring myself to put on And Justice For All.

However - it is *COOL* to habitually bash the Loads along with everyone else who wanted The Black Album part 2.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
With a little bit more work - That Was Just Your Life, Cyanide & All Nightmare Long could have been Metallica classics.

I agree with that. I also think the Judas Kiss would be a total home run if they took out the attempted instrumental section. None of the songs on the album warranted being that long, but the riff/verse/chorus of The Judas Kiss are excellent imo.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »

I HAVE always liked them. I played Reload to death when it came out.. I can barely bring myself to put on And Justice For All.

However - it is *COOL* to habitually bash the Loads along with everyone else who wanted The Black Album part 2.

I enjoy Load, there are some great songs on there, but the problem with both albums is: there is way too much filler. Load's good tracks save it, but most songs on Reload fall into the "filler" category IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »

I enjoy Load, there are some great songs on there, but the problem with both albums is: there is way too much filler. Load's good tracks save it, but most songs on Reload fall into the "filler" category IMO.

That's about how I feel about it. Between those two albums is a lot of my favourite Metallica music (especially Load), so I don't think they deserve hate simply due to not being thrash/metal. They do however still deserve criticism for being two hugely padded out albums that would have worked much better as one.
If they were total crap, I wouldn't care, but there was definitely potential their for them to become one really strong album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
Thing is, even keeping just the good songs from both albums, I more than fill one CD. So while Reload especially has quite a bit of filler, there's still a ton of great music across the two albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »

Wait.

Hang the fuck on.

Did you just suggest that it's wrong for someone to say it's COOL to like the Loads, and then come right back and say that the dissenting opinion is the very evil you just decried? Even if that opinion was held like mine (and just about every other Metallica fan I personally know IRL) since 1995?

That's kind of funny.  :rollin

If it's wrong of me to think that someone liking the Loads is just being cool, it's just as wrong to accuse someone who sat in his car in 1995 when Until It Sleeps debuted on the radio and feeling my excitement disappear as I realized I thought the song flat out sucked is hating it because they think it's cool to hate on it. I will say that I have known more people who thought the Loads sucked based on their merits as music than those who loved them until the past few years, where suddenly the albums appear to be being judged in a vacuum where everything surrounding them is thrown aside (I think a lot of it had something to do with St. Anger, where a lot of people went "yeah, these albums weren't that bad after all!" but that's just a guess.) The Loads have evolved into some sort of noble, albeit failed experiment, but most of the people I know never liked the Loads because they thought they sucked. I will admit that a lot of the places I go to, the love the Loads get feels like bandwagon jumping, so I apologize if I let that color how I address it here. But yeah, if I can't get on someone for thinking they're just being "cool", the opposite holds true.

The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:09 AM »
Ugh. TL;DR.

I'm saying it was trendy to say the Loads were shit but now people are coming around to them whereas i've always liked them...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
Thing is, even keeping just the good songs from both albums, I more than fill one CD. So while Reload especially has quite a bit of filler, there's still a ton of great music across the two albums.

Even RTL had filler and that was only 8 songs.

I bet if Ride had 14 songs it would have a ton of filler on it too.

But most of my favourites from the Loads are on ReLoad.

Devils Dance. Carpe Diem Baby. Wild Things. Fixxxer. Attitude.

I even like Bad Seed - because it has that awesome swing to it. I'm a drummer :lol sometimes I like a song purely for it's groove and feel.

Which was partly the problem with Death Magnetic - the songs were played to be fast at the expense of feel.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »

Even RTL had filler and that was only 8 songs.

I bet if Ride had 14 songs it would have a ton of filler on it too.

But it didn't.

To me, both Loads have a handful of enjoyable songs, but an awful lot of dreck, too.  And most of those enjoyable songs cannot touch the best material from the 80s and The Black Album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
I'm with Kotow on that point, RTL definitely has some pretty dull songs. But at the same time, I do appreciate how original and influential they were at the time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
Ok, out of curiosity, a poll for everybody: which songs on Load and Reload do you consider to be filler?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I hate the word filler, as it implies that the band just threw it on the album to fill up space, instead of just calling it a song you don't like. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »
Ok, out of curiosity, a poll for everybody: which songs on Load and Reload do you consider to be filler?
From Load:
 - Cure (despite the groovy opening riff)
 - Thorn Within

From Reload:
 - Better Than You
 - Slither
 - Bad Seed
 - Attitude (still enjoyable though)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
I hate the word filler, as it implies that the band just threw it on the album to fill up space, instead of just calling it a song you don't like. 

True, I generally don't use the term very much, but I guess I feel it applies with Load and especially Reload. I don't think they were intended as filler, but it's just how they feel to me. I think it's the combination of the fact that the albums are quite long, and that the songs in question don't really bring anything new to the albums - they are similar to other ones but not very good and do feel as though they're just filling up space.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
From Load:
 - Cure (despite the groovy opening riff)
 - Thorn Within

From Reload:
 - Better Than You
 - Slither
 - Bad Seed
 - Attitude (still enjoyable though)

I don't think Load has any filler. I love Cure and Thorn Within. ReLoad, though, has the songs you mentoined and Prince Charming (which is still good though). How they've won a Grammy for Better Than You is beyond me. Oh wait, I forgot the Grammy Awards were just commercial crap. Never mind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
I think Ronnie is by far the worst song on either record.  Even when I liked Load a lot when it first came out (a feeling that didn't last long, but hey, I had just gotten into Metallica), I thought that Ronnie sucked major swamp water.  That guitar lead is just so annoying.  It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
From Load and Reload I only like 5 songs:
Ain't My Bitch
Bleeding Me
Wasting My Hate
The Outlaw Torn
Fuel

That's it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Onno

« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
Ronnie is fucking awesome  :biggrin:

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

I use that word to imply that there is a difference between a bad song and filler. Bad songs annoy you, you want to a void them and sometimes skip them if you listen to a whole album. Filler songs don't do much for you, but you don't mind them when you listen to an album.

Offline Onno

« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »

I use that word to imply that there is a difference between a bad song and filler. Bad songs annoy you, you want to a void them and sometimes skip them if you listen to a whole album. Filler songs don't do much for you, but you don't mind them when you listen to an album.
This, and for me the word 'filler' implies that they could have been left out and I wouldn't have minded.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
I stand by my opinion that the weakest songs on Reload are better than the weakest songs on Load.

For example - I much prefer a song like Better Than You to Poor Twisted Me.

Better Than You is simple yes but at least it doesn't sound like a jam that's come out of trying out a delay pedal ( PTM ). . .