Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379733 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
[if you listen to "Demo Magnetic" - you'll hear that some of the songs were much better in demo form than on the final CD]
I never paid much attention to Demo Magnetic, but as a result of your comment I listened to bits of songs from it and found that for example BB&S is much better on Demo Magnetic than on the final CD. Wow, that's cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 05:41:49 PM »
The demo for All Nightmare Long has WAY more groove than the final version.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
I listened to most of Demo magnetic and was glad that I didn't feel like I had to turn the volume down.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
I listened to most of Demo magnetic and was glad that I didn't feel like I had to turn the volume down.

Because the songs are better :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
1. MoP
2. AJFA
3. RTL
4. S/T
5. ReL
6. Load
7. DM
8. Kill
9. St. A

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
And Justice For All is one of my favorite albums of all time and is my favorite Metallica album. RTL and MOP are right there with it but I just prefer AJFA.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
I'm very old school when it comes to "the big four"....   And I hate people from other generations (for instance those people that only listen to classic rock) that do this, but I guess I understand how they feel.    Every single one of them lost a step entering the 90's.   Maybe that's why I started listening to college stuff.  It seemed more honest than what thrash had become.    I only really love Megadeth's first four albums....RIP was a step down from SFSGSW IMO...and then the wheels just completely fell of with CtE...which was just unlistenable to me.   Anthrax was one of the more consistent bands.   Their first three albums were dynamite...then they maybe did the "comic book humor" angle a bit too much for SoE, but it was still a good album.  But after that they came out with their two *best albums* in PoT and SoWN.  (if Metallica and Megadeth wanted a change of direction, they would have been better off going heavier).    Slayer was definitely the most consistent of the big four.   But it also never really went anywhere.   They kinda tried the nu-metal thing for one album, so I at least have to give them credit for trying.   But they were really a "one trick pony".   But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's funny, I pretty much agree with all of this now, but felt pretty differently at the time. I listened to SFSGSW a couple of weeks ago and still think it's their best album. Pretty much the only one I listen to anymore. Thought it week when it first came out. PoT and SoWN are the only Anthrax albums I still listen to, despite StD being a seminal album for me growing up. Side two of AtL is pretty solid, as well. Can't stand The Black Album, and while I like Lode and ReLoad a good deal, it's pretty much a different band altogether for me. Slayer just became to samey for me. Everything up to SitA is great. After that I couldn't tell you one album from another.

As for Metallica, the one thing I want to know is WTF they haven't released a remastered AJFA yet.

And just to annoy the youngsters here in the new thread:

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya...I officially hate you now.   :angel:  (j/k my friend)

I had tickets to see Metallica open for Ozzy in Seattle in July of '86.   My friends and I had heard that Ozzy was getting booed off the stage by Metallica fans, and we didn't dig "The Ultimate Sin" at all...or the hairspray look he had adopted, so we were going to go to the show and join the fun and hope we could get a few extra songs from our new favorite band....

Ozzy cancelled the show.   The official reason was "laryngitis", but I have my doubts.   The rumors were that Metallica fans were dominating the shows, and the backlash against the glam movement was beginning.   In any event, I know that we were not the only show that was mysteriously cancelled on that tour.

That would have been the last time anyone in Seattle would have seen Cliff alive.    He was killed just two months later.    Our only consolation was that they came back to make up for it...only this time they were HEADLINING.    (and I don't care what James said about GnR opening up the way to sell out arenas....that's complete BS.   They sold out the arena in Seattle in Dec '86!!)

I was at that show.   Metal Church opened, and it was about Jason's 12th(?) show.    Fantastic show.   Great times.   Still probably the greatest Metallica show I ever saw.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »
Don't recall ever seeing Metal Church open for them (although my memory of that era is spotty, at best). I did see John Marshall play rhythm guitar for Metallica on two different occasions, though. Of all of the bands I've seen over the years, Metallica is where I always wind up with the most interesting stories.

Aside from those two shows, I spent all of the first Dallas Justice show at the barricade. Newstead gave me beer during the first beer break. During the second beer break I reached for another and he kicked my hand and said "don't be greedy!" He did give me a pick later, though.

During a later Summer Sanitarium gig, Hetfiled wasn't even in the country. They had a variety of guest singers come out, and Kid Rock's midget was running around the whole show screaming "yeah motherfucker!" in that little midget voice of his. Immediately after that stadium tour, as in 2 days after, they played two makeup gigs in Dallas and packed every single piece of their stadium rig under the shed at Starplex, and everything that couldn't fit went out on the lawn facing back in. Only show I've ever been to that was too loud for me. During One, the explosions would go off, and they were completely silent because the prerecorded gunfire and helicopter noise totally drowned them out. About halfway through I went out to the lawn for a while, and even that was so loud I went to the outer concourse for a couple of songs. Ears rang for 10 days after that. I was on the floor during the Theater of Pain Tour when Motley Crue claimed to break the world record for SPL at a rock concert, and that didn't come close to what Metallica did in an outdoor venue; not by a longshot.

Got to see another Sanitarium tour from on stage a few years later. During Fuel and Nothing Else Matters my host took me back to sit behind the drum riser. I'd been over in the VIP section where things were relatively calm, and he called me over just as Fuel started up, and they had flames erupting all over the stage like the inside of a V8. People are walking around like it's just no big deal at all, and I'm hunched down covering my head like the world's on fire. My host tells me "now don't move--anywhere!" Yeah, no shit.  :lol

There's actually a small, onstage dressing room immediately behind the drum kit where they can go for water, or to tend to their monitors and such, and they had a Make A Wish dying kid in there who got to see the whole show from 3' behind Ulrich. Thought that was pretty nice of them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
As for Metallica, the one thing I want to know is WTF they haven't released a remastered AJFA yet.

it's been remastered many times, they just don't advertise it. for instance, the label reissued all the albums for a Japanese release a few years ago (i think they were mini-LP sleeve replicas, or another one of those garbage cash grab sort of things) and they were all remastered to be approximately as brickwalled as St. Anger — it sounds awful, especially AJFA.

i'm pretty sure they've just been remastering the exact same needle drop used to press the first CD editions of the first four albums, too, which doesn't help anything.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
There is supposed to be one Japanese import that stands out above the others, but even that's supposedly halfassed. The annoying thing is that it wouldn't take much effort for them to do it right. Hell, amateurs are doing mixes of the first two tracks from Rock Band that sound better than any official release.
E.F. Benson

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2013, 03:27:43 AM »
What AJFA really needs is a remix, not a remaster.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »

That, although it would certainly need a better mastering to boot, because it's wonked in both.

The remixes people have done from the GH stems sound a ton better, although still a bit amateurish, and not the whole album. I would kill for a good version of that album, because the bass adds a lot. It's not just doubling the guitars.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2013, 08:20:56 AM »
Metallica just need to be more spontaneous in the studio and not re-work and re-work and re-work ideas until they're stale.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
 :facepalm: I FUCKING hate when people "disprove" your argument by presenting the WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
1. Load
2. MoP
3. Lightning
4. Black Album
5. Reload
6. Justice
7. DM
8. Kill
9. St. Anger

Offline Onno

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »

Oh Kirk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

I knew it would be that clip.

Sometimes rhythms take a while to get into your brain. If it's a weird pattern that doesn't accent in the logical places then it can be really confusing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

Oh Kirk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

I knew it would be that clip.

Sometimes rhythms take a while to get into your brain. If it's a weird pattern that doesn't accent in the logical places then it can be really confusing.
Yeah, I think we already discussed that clip some time (well, a lot of time) ago in the previous thread.

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, and even Pantera killing the glam metal movement is one of my favorite parts in music history  :metal

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
Pantera was certainly a double agent in that war :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
Let us be thankful that Het never fucked his voice up as badly as Phil Anselmo has.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, and even Pantera killing the glam metal movement is one of my favorite parts in music history  :metal

Not to forget:

Raven
Overkill
Testament
Fates Warning
Exodus
Voivod
Kreator
Destruction
Sodom
Venom
Exciter
Dark Angel
Death
Nuclear Assault
Flotsam and Jetsam
Hirax
Sacred Reich
Trouble
Candlemass
Hallow's Eve
S.O.D
M.O.D
and Vio-Lence

Good times....   :angel:

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
I don't yet have Reload or St. Anger, but figured I'd go ahead and post my list and create some controversy now.

1. Ride the Lightning - Perfect fusion of energy and melody. Not a single bad song (Escape is awesome go away), and Ktulu, Fade and Bellz are all among their best.
2. Death Magnetic - Combines the technicality of the 80s releases with maturity. Again, no bad songs (My Apocalypse is awesome go away) and The End of the Line, The Day that Never Comes and The Unforgiven III (really) are favorites. Production sucks but there are... alternatives.
3. …And Justice For All - The production is bad and Eye of the Beholder really isn't that special, but One and To Live Is To Die are top-notch for the band.
4. Load - The Black Album is more consistent, but this one has higher highs with Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn, which are both among the band's best. Poor Twisted Me and Wasting My Hate didn't really need to happen, though.
5. The Black Album - It is what it is. 12 excellent songs. I love Nothing Else Matters regardless of how often it's played and The Unforgiven through NEM is a GREAT run.
6. Master of Puppets - Sue me. Puppets has Thingy, Sanitarium and Orion going for it, but… Where did the melody go? Ride was a clinic in how to do a very heavy style of music with some great melody, and aside from Orion, this album almost entirely lacks in it.
7. Kill 'Em All - There was a time when I swore THIS was my favorite of theirs. But that was my (fortunately brief) "Only tr00 metal" period. Kill shows promise and you can definitely see Ride and Justice and all the other greats in this album, but it is not nearly at their level. The outright juvenile lyrics also grate.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
I do like the Unforgivens.  I actually prefer II to I and III is pretty good as well.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
II is the best themforgivens  :metal

III should have been left off Death Magnetic and they should have worked a bit harder on Just A Bullet Away

Offline 425

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
I think if anything from Beyond Magnetic should have made the album, it should have been Rebel of Babylon. But the 10 songs on the album are the 10 best of that 14, I think. Just barely.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
At least DM gave us All Nightmare Long & That Was Just Your Life. Two future Metallica classics. Cyanide was a very good intro to the album too.

Although I can't recall if they debuted Cyanide live before or after they released The Day That Never Comes.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
Personally, I've come to really like Unforgiven III.  It's not nearly as good as the other Unforgivens, but it's good enough that I would rather have it than anything from Beyond Magnetic. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
Unforgiven III is my favorite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Unforgiven III is by FAR my least favourite song on Death Magnetic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »

Your memory has a strange way of warping history.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.