Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379760 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
AJFA would probably be my favorite Metallica album if it had better production.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
I agree. If it sounded lie either Metallica or Master Of Puppets and some of the songs were trimmed down slightly....

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
Hi guys ;D

1. Ride the Lightning
2. And Justice for All
3. Kill Em All
4. Master of Puppets
5. Metallica
6. Death Magnetic

I haven't listened Load, Reload and St. Anger entirely yet...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
Because you knew what it was at 9 years old.

Well, my 22 year old uncle who gave me the CD, laughingly explained what it was when he gave it to me. He also laughed his ass off when he also gave me Tool's Ænima and showed me the guy going down on himself.

so yes, I did know what it was.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
I was quite fortunate to not have a creepy uncle.

ESCAPE DEFENSE ACTIVATED.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Escape. I'll never understand the hate. It has great verse and chorus melodies, and is just killer all around. I wonder if Jon Schaffer likes the song...

Anyway, rankings:

Ride The Lightning
...And Justice For All
Master of Puppets
Metallica
Kill 'Em All.

Diarrhea

The rest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
I'm very old school when it comes to "the big four"....   And I hate people from other generations (for instance those people that only listen to classic rock) that do this, but I guess I understand how they feel.    Every single one of them lost a step entering the 90's.   Maybe that's why I started listening to college stuff.  It seemed more honest than what thrash had become.    I only really love Megadeth's first four albums....RIP was a step down from SFSGSW IMO...and then the wheels just completely fell of with CtE...which was just unlistenable to me.   Anthrax was one of the more consistent bands.   Their first three albums were dynamite...then they maybe did the "comic book humor" angle a bit too much for SoE, but it was still a good album.  But after that they came out with their two *best albums* in PoT and SoWN.  (if Metallica and Megadeth wanted a change of direction, they would have been better off going heavier).    Slayer was definitely the most consistent of the big four.   But it also never really went anywhere.   They kinda tried the nu-metal thing for one album, so I at least have to give them credit for trying.   But they were really a "one trick pony".   But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My Metallica rankings:

1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Kill 'em All
4. ...And Justice for All

5. Death Magnetic
6. St. Anger (I actually like SA quite a bit.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  SA was to TBA what a snarling angry rabid junkyard dog is to Paris Hilton's chihuahua.)

7. Metallica
8. Load/Reload
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »

10.Lulu. I don't consider this a Metallica album because it's a collab with Lou Reed. Has some genuinely good moments and nowhere near as awful as people make it out to be. Complaining about the vocals on a Lou Reed album is like complaining about the drumming on a White Stripes record.

This.  I haven't listened to much of this album, but from what I've heard it's more a Lou Reed album that happens to have Metallica as the backing band.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
That's what it is. Lou wrote all the lyrics and vocal melodies and even had a lot of the music already written. Metallica just beefed it up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »

6. St. Anger (I actually like SA quite a bit.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  SA was to TBA what a snarling angry rabid junkyard dog is to Paris Hilton's chihuahua.)

I love how pissed off St Anger is . And it's not fake. It's pure aggression and frustration on a CD. It's not for long term listening but every now and then it's perfect listening for shitty moods.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Master (my #3 album all-time)
Lightning (#16)
Justice (#48)
Metallica
Kill 'em All
Load
Death
Reload
St Anger
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Album rankings?  Alright.

Ride the Lightning
Load (No, I'm not kidding)
Master of Puppets
Metallica
... And Justice For All
Kill 'Em All
Death Magnetic
Reload
St. Anger
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »
Lou wrote all the lyrics and vocal melodies

wat

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 04:14:47 AM »
Lou wrote all the lyrics and vocal melodies

wat
Yeah, what vocal melodies? All I can here is a goat moaning while James is fucking up whatever's left of his vocal cords again, like he did with So What in the early nineties. "I AM THE TABLE!"  is possibly the funniest line on any album Metallica have made or appeared on though.

Ranking:

1. Master of Puppets
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Black Album
4. Ride the Lightning
5. Load/Death Magnetic
6. Kill 'Em All
7. St. Anger
8. ReLoad

MoP and AFJA are really close, but AFJA has production that's absolutely rubbish, and Orion > TLITD and Damage, Inc > Dyers Eve. Load and Death Magnetic are equally good IMO. Kill 'Em All is great but isn't as mature as anything ranked above it. St. Anger is also great but it definitely has some flaws: production, the ugly snare sound, and most of the songs could've been a bit better. ReLoad is just a pale shadow of Load, with only a few good/great songs and a lot of songs that I don't care about.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 04:28:50 AM »
My list is a little unusual, to say the least.

Black
Death Magnetic

Ride The Lightning
Master of Puppets

Reload
Kill 'em All
...And Justice For All
Load

St. Anger

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:13 AM »
LOL I AM TEH TABLEEEEEEE !!! OLOLOL

This joke has been beaten to death because people can't be bothered to find out the meaning behind the lyrics.

* However - at least the lyric isn't I AM THE POOF " :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:01 AM »
1. Black Album
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'Em All
4. ...And Justice For All
5. Ride the Lightning
6. ReLoad
7. Load

9. Death Magnetic
10. St. Anger.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:13 AM »
I love how pissed off St Anger is . And it's not fake. It's pure aggression and frustration on a CD.

Well said, buddie. Just listened to St. Anger in full for the first time in a while. Really good album. And I gotta say it's got Het's best vocal performance.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
I love how pissed off St Anger is . And it's not fake. It's pure aggression and frustration on a CD.

Well said, buddie. Just listened to St. Anger in full for the first time in a while. Really good album. And I gotta say it's got Het's best vocal performance.
Yeah, definitely!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 08:00:59 AM »
It's also pretty solid lyrically.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »

Yeah, definitely!

It's probably his most dynamic range on an album as far as singing, screaming and growling go but he does veer out of tune on many occasions. It does add to the whole vibe of it being spontaneous and raw though.

However - for best vocals on a CD i think Load takes the crown.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
I'm very old school when it comes to "the big four"....   And I hate people from other generations (for instance those people that only listen to classic rock) that do this, but I guess I understand how they feel.    Every single one of them lost a step entering the 90's.   Maybe that's why I started listening to college stuff.  It seemed more honest than what thrash had become.    I only really love Megadeth's first four albums....RIP was a step down from SFSGSW IMO...and then the wheels just completely fell of with CtE...which was just unlistenable to me.   Anthrax was one of the more consistent bands.   Their first three albums were dynamite...then they maybe did the "comic book humor" angle a bit too much for SoE, but it was still a good album.  But after that they came out with their two *best albums* in PoT and SoWN.  (if Metallica and Megadeth wanted a change of direction, they would have been better off going heavier).    Slayer was definitely the most consistent of the big four.   But it also never really went anywhere.   They kinda tried the nu-metal thing for one album, so I at least have to give them credit for trying.   But they were really a "one trick pony".   But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My Metallica rankings:

1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Kill 'em All
4. ...And Justice for All

5. Death Magnetic

7. Metallica
8. Load/Reload

I agree with a lot of what you say. Great to see the love for SFSGSW, an incredible album, but you've got to give RiP its due.

My rankings:

Kill 'Em All
Justice
Master Of Puppets
Death Magnetic
Ride The Lightning
The Black Album
Load
St. Anger
ReLoad

Have they really only made 9 albums? I over 30 years?? That sucks!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »

Yeah, definitely!

It's probably his most dynamic range on an album as far as singing, screaming and growling go but he does veer out of tune on many occasions. It does add to the whole vibe of it being spontaneous and raw though.

However - for best vocals on a CD i think Load takes the crown.

I think I'd agree with you on Load. His vocals are very melodic, and powerful and emotional on Load. That extends to some of Reload too, although Reload doesn't have as much of the good material on it imo.
The other contender for best Hetfield vocals would be The Black Album. He's singing actual melodies, and started layering vocals more, and still had the growly grit of the thrash era.

I don't agree on St Anger's vocals though. A lot of those vocals just make me wince. Too raw for my liking, with his voice cracking and breaking up and pitchy in many places. I get that's what they were going for, I just didn't like it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Funny thing is I rarely care for the "raw" sound of bands and I love guitar solos.

Any way. Time to rank 'em all.

1. Master
2. Magnetic
3. Justice
4. Anger
5. Lightning
6. Load/Reload
7. Black
8. Kill

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »
Whenever someone likes Death Magnetic, I die a little on the inside.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
Whenever someone likes Death Magnetic, I die a little on the inside.

Eh, even though it's a cheap imitation of their glory days, and the drumming and lead guitars are pretty bad, it's not St Anger levels of bad. I wouldn't put it in the ballpark of the first 5 albums though.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Quote from: Metallica haters before 2008.
Metallica should make music like their first 4 albums.

Quote from: Metallica haters after 2008.
Metallica is trying too hard to recapture former glory by ripping themselves off.

Don't seem like they can win.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
AJFA would probably be my favorite Metallica album if it had better production.

This. Jason Newsted was kept outside the studio  :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
I think Load/ReLoad are both the kind of albums I appreciate because the band did what they wanted to do themselves, and even though you can argue about the result (I don't think Load is better than any of RTL, MoP or AJFA), it was still a good release, and the band did what they wanted to do. With Death Magnetic, personally I felt like it just lacked any energy or creativity. It basically felt like the band forced themselves into the studio to make a record tailor made after what the fans requested, with no real interest in going down that road again. Whatever they said themselves, Death Magnetic to me feels a bit like when a director is almost forced to come back to a movie-franchise he has no interest in continuing, so the result is just something to "get it over with" and shut people up.

And at least Load and Reload had variety and were different. Death Magnetic is pretty much a carbon copy of the classic albums, except it is 50 times worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
I think Load/ReLoad are both the kind of albums I appreciate because the band did what they wanted to do themselves, and even though you can argue about the result (I don't think Load is better than any of RTL, MoP or AJFA), it was still a good release, and the band did what they wanted to do. With Death Magnetic, personally I felt like it just lacked any energy or creativity. It basically felt like the band forced themselves into the studio to make a record tailor made after what the fans requested, with no real interest in going down that road again. Whatever they said themselves, Death Magnetic to me feels a bit like when a director is almost forced to come back to a movie-franchise he has no interest in continuing, so the result is just something to "get it over with" and shut people up.

And at least Load and Reload had variety and were different. Death Magnetic is pretty much a carbon copy of the classic albums, except it is 50 times worse.

I can't really disagree with any of that, although I still felt the result of Death Magnetic was overall ok. The biggest problem was forcing the song lengths to be long JUST LIKE JUSTICE-AHHHH, except Lars and Kirk can't pull off instrumental sections at all anymore, and they sound like they're about to fall apart at any moment.
But a lot of the general songwriting is alright imo. The whole approach was very forced though, and I'd rather they just evolve to do whatever suits them now.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Yeah god forbid anybody "try hard."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Master of Puppets is one of my favourite metal albums ever. I'm not a fan of thrash metal, the only real contender for the best thrash album ever is Arise by Sepultura.

Ranks:
1. Master of Puppets (pretty much perfect)
2. Load (I don't dislike any songs, + two epic tracks, Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn)
3. ...And Justice For All (aside production, a good album)
4. Metallica (I used to love it, but some songs just didn't bear the time)
5. ReLoad (not bad, some great tracks, but some fillers)
6. Ride the Lightning (don't like the production, and there are some songs I don't care about (Fight Fire, Bells, Trapped))
7. Death Magnetic (not bad either, but too long)

I haven't heard Metal Militia, so I left KEA out. It would be between ReLoad and RTL. And I haven't heard St.Anger.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
Lightning
Puppets
Justice

Death
Kill'em
Black

Load / Reload (they aren't bad... just haven't listened really much)

LouLou
St Anger
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ...And Justice For All should be the top three (no particular order) for everyone.

But that's just my opinion..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
Justice would probably be in my top 3 if the production wasn't dreadful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
Yeah god forbid anybody "try hard."

I think Death magnetic went beyond trying too hard and into the realms of beating an idea to death until the initial spark which made it great was unrecognisable.

[ if you listen to "Demo Magnetic" - you'll hear that some of the songs were much better in demo form than on the final CD ]

They over analyse way too much and if you've been in a  band - you should know that the initial version of an idea is usually the best and if you force something to fit then it invariably ends up sounding weak and forced.

The best songs are the ones that seem to write themselves and are formed from pure inspiration - not hammered into some kind of usable shape over months and months.

Metallica just need to be more spontaneous in the studio and not re-work and re-work and re-work ideas until they're stale.