Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381823 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4480 on: February 16, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
I feel like a lot of the prices are because Metallica are going crazier and crazier with their stage show.

Personally, and I know this is the age of huge elaborate stage shows and people love them, I think Metallica should go back to what they did in the early 90's. Get the big thing in the center, a few screens maybe, and just rock it out. Let their charisma get everyone into it, it's not like they're lacking in that.

Not just Metallica, Avenged too.  There was an article I linked in the A7X thread about how they envisioned a bigger show with cirque du soleil dancers.  I don't know if that'll happen for this tour or not, but both bands have stated they are shooting for big stage shows.

That's unfortunate. I remember watching the Bing and Purge dvd's and man, it's just so simple and so amazing. Just a band playing on a cool unique stage bringing tons of energy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4481 on: February 16, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
I feel like a lot of the prices are because Metallica are going crazier and crazier with their stage show.

Personally, and I know this is the age of huge elaborate stage shows and people love them, I think Metallica should go back to what they did in the early 90's. Get the big thing in the center, a few screens maybe, and just rock it out. Let their charisma get everyone into it, it's not like they're lacking in that.

I feel it's all Lars that decides these choices. I bet the other guys didn't really want to play the Grammy's. I mean he attended an event which he then met Lady Gaga...

I understand Metallica is big, but in no way will I pay these prices to see them...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4482 on: February 16, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

Not just Metallica, Avenged too.  There was an article I linked in the A7X thread about how they envisioned a bigger show with cirque du soleil dancers.  I don't know if that'll happen for this tour or not, but both bands have stated they are shooting for big stage shows.

That's unfortunate. I remember watching the Bing and Purge dvd's and man, it's just so simple and so amazing. Just a band playing on a cool unique stage bringing tons of energy.

Well, if they are playing huge stadiums, they kind of need to do more than just play on a stage.  No one can see them  :lol Although I'd love a stripped down heavy metal show, it's just not the reality of the band or most of these big bands anymore. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4483 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »

Well, if they are playing huge stadiums, they kind of need to do more than just play on a stage.  No one can see them  :lol Although I'd love a stripped down heavy metal show, it's just not the reality of the band or most of these big bands anymore.

It was great Seeing Mastodon on the Uproar tour, they just had a sheet of The Hunter and their simple amps set up. Then after you got Amon Amarth with their big ass ship. Sadly, Mastodon didn't get much response, but Amon Amarth opened with a big boom and smoke and all that.

Which brings me to say, I wish bands would do the simple setup.

Why is it OK for Ax7 to do Cirque De Solie but not Queensryche?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4484 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »

---------------------------------------------------------

The Making of AM I SAVAGE ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66uuNlnUDsk

----------------------------------------------------------

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4485 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
Metallica's stage shows don't change much. The end-stage now has a much bigger screen behind them, but otherwise it's actually far more sparse than what they were using in 03. I'm pretty sure their round stage for DM was the same they were using back in the Load days, as seen in Cunning Stunts. Ticket prices increase because people will pay it and because they spend money like you wouldn't believe. Their tours "hemorrhage" money.

The only way I could see the VIP packages being worth while are for festival shows, like the older Summer Sanitarium tours. If there are five or six bands access to The Rubber Room is invaluable so you can sit them out in comfort. In this case, if you don't want to see the opener you can just get there late.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4486 on: February 16, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
Their tours can't be that bad since World Magnetic was the 18th highest grossing tour of all time in 2010.

It's dropped out of the top 20 now though but still...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4487 on: February 16, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »
Their tours can't be that bad since World Magnetic was the 18th highest grossing tour of all time in 2010.

It's dropped out of the top 20 now though but still...

Well, duh. If they're charging those prices and people just "take my money" attitude. Of course they're gonna be the highest grossing tour. Doesn't mean it's good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4488 on: February 16, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Didn't say anything about good.

Barto said their tours haemorrhage money.

Which doesn't line up with being the 18th highest grossing tour of all time.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4489 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
Didn't say anything about good.

Barto said their tours haemorrhage money.

Which doesn't line up with being the 18th highest grossing tour of all time.

Well you haven't looked at their expenses.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4490 on: February 16, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »
Right. That's the difference between gross and net.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4491 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
U2's 360 Tour is the highest grossing tour of all time at $750m.

Hard to believe that a gross of $750,000,000 doesn't turn some kind of profit !

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4492 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
I put the blame solely on the stadiums for high prices. Chicago Bears suck ass, but tickets are still way too expensive.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4493 on: February 17, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
Got my tickets for the MetLife show. Can't wait!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4494 on: February 17, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »
Got my tickets for the MetLife show. Can't wait!

:metal :metal :metal

I'm pumped, I'm in section 225A which is dead center both vertically and horizontally.  I'm going to try to remember to check ticketmaster again today for the general sale to see if I can snatch a GA seat for the Colliseum show.  It's not convineint for me, but if I get the ticket I can decide if I want to go or not, I'm sure I can sell if I don't think it makes sense to go, but that expereince in an Arena after talking about it here has made me want to see if I can make it work to be there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4495 on: February 17, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »

I'm sure it did turn a profit. Very likely a huge profit and the same with Metallica. Not sure what the point is here. Maybe the tour turned a half-billion dollar profit. And if Bono has to have fresh squeezed virgin's blood flown in from Scandinavia to bathe in each morning, maybe it only turns $496,000,000 profit. Still a pretty good profit despite squandering money foolishly.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4496 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
I'm curious how much it costs Metallica to lug around a physical therapist and a nutritionist everywhere they go, but that's probably the least of their financial worries.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4497 on: February 18, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
I'm curious how much it costs Metallica to lug around a physical therapist and a nutritionist everywhere they go, but that's probably the least of their financial worries.

DT used to have a chef and a masseuse during the later MP days.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4498 on: February 19, 2017, 04:43:43 AM »

Two extra seats on the plane... Hmm I just had a thought though... Do the entire crew stay in hotel rooms ? That can't be cheap.

150 hotel rooms for every tour date.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4499 on: February 19, 2017, 04:50:03 AM »
Don't a lot of the crew bunk up on tour buses or something?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4500 on: February 19, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Don't a lot of the crew bunk up on tour buses or something?

Most of the crew does. I can't speak for Metallica but I worked at a Basketball arena that doubled up as a concert venue for three years. A lot of bigger acts would have chef's, masseuse, manager on a separate, nicer bus.

There were also instances where things would be put in the rider and the promotions and arena staff would work to get what the bad wanted.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4501 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
Got my GA ticket for Arlington. Can't wait.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4502 on: February 20, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
Grabbed tix for Philly on May 12th.  I think we're in the final row of the stadium but we're in there.  Plus, we're meeting up with some friends of mine from college that I haven't seen in probably 10 years.  Can't wait!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4503 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »
As much as I want tickets to see Metallica, I think the only big show I am going to go see this year is going to be Roger Waters at the Staples Center.

The sound will probably be better anyways. lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4504 on: February 20, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »
I'll check stubhub a couple days before the show. If there is anything even the slightest bit reasonable, then I will try and go and consider myself lucky. The tickets prices as they are right now are absolutely not happening

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4505 on: February 21, 2017, 01:18:29 AM »

It's U2 they need a lot of money to pay all those session players playing the real music under the stage..... ;D

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4506 on: February 21, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
I'll check stubhub a couple days before the show. If there is anything even the slightest bit reasonable, then I will try and go and consider myself lucky. The tickets prices as they are right now are absolutely not happening
The Phili show looks to be selling for shit and there are a whole lot of uppers available on Stubhub, so you might do alright there. You won't get good seats but get-ins might well run under face value.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4507 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
I'll be curious to see how these shows sell. If they sell them out, good for them. I'm thinking this tour would probably be better suited for arenas not stadiums, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4508 on: February 21, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Last time they came to Omaha they couldn't even sell out our modest Arena.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4509 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
The Phili show looks to be selling for shit and there are a whole lot of uppers available on Stubhub, so you might do alright there. You won't get good seats but get-ins might well run under face value.

I think they fucked the pricing in some of the uppers.  I was looking at the one arena show and the uppers were the same price as the floor, in the corner of the arena.  Made no sense.  The cheap tickets were sold, but you could still find an expensive upper ticket.  I don't know why someone would pay 160 for a top of the rafters in the corner seat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4510 on: February 21, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
I'll be curious to see how these shows sell. If they sell them out, good for them. I'm thinking this tour would probably be better suited for arenas not stadiums, but maybe I'm wrong.
The new album is well liked and, more importantly, the tour's getting a ton of promo. I think they'll sell out plenty of them and come close in most others. Since they're playing end-stage rather than in the round they only get about half the stadium capacity at these gigs.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4511 on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
The new album is well liked and, more importantly, the tour's getting a ton of promo. I think they'll sell out plenty of them and come close in most others. Since they're playing end-stage rather than in the round they only get about half the stadium capacity at these gigs.

Ah, I missed that part. I foolishly assumed they were playing in the round like they just did in Denmark.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4512 on: February 21, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
Also, for the Stadiums, they are playing with another really huge american metal band.  I think the vast majority of these shows sell well.

The arena show I am referencing is also in the round though and is only Metallica. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4513 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
So I saw somewhere on FB (some metal news site, not sure which one) that James pretty much shot down any idea of remixing AJFA, saying (paraphrasing here) - each record is a snapshot of history, and they don't want to erase history. I replied with something along these lines:

Not sure why Metallica and its fans can't have both. Next year is the 30th anniversary of And Justice for All. A landmark record for Metallica and loved by millions. For years, the biggest complaint was that they did Jason wrong by lowering his incredible playing so much that you can't hear it.

Why wouldn't you rectify it by issuing a 3CD anniversary edition of AJFA, with disc one being the original album, remastered; disc 2 being a 2018 remix of the album that brings the bass up, and showcases the incredible work of Jason; and disc 3 being a mix of demos, live versions from that eras, and if they exist, alternate takes?

They've done similar releases for the earlier albums. Why not with Justice?

I just hate that mentality by James. I get it -- erasing history is a big no-no. But it's not like you can only have one or the other. No erasing is necessary. Just add to the collective that is Metallica, and right a wrong that people have known about for 30 years. The beauty of being as successful as they are, is that you have the opportunity to do anything you want. No one would want to erase history. But making it a special bonus disc, as a part of a package? It's a no-brainer. They own all their recordings. No label will get paid. Just them. If there was any time to do something like this, it's now, when they are at another commercial peak. Just such a dick move not to do this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4514 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
They might do it on the hush-hush like with the Death Magnetic remaster on iTunes.

They didn't announce that it was cleaner - they just put it up there for people to find.