Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379889 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4235 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
So you're one of those " everything after Justice is shit " guys ?

I personally think that Kill Em All is vastly over rated. It has a handful of good songs and a few lousy ones.

And a Bass solo taking up an entire slot ? Lolz.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4236 on: February 08, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
If you look at it through today's glasses it's easy to criticize; but 34 years ago I can see it shaping an entirely new way of thinking and playing rock music.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4237 on: February 08, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
I personally am with you guys, I'd be okay with not seeing songs like NEM, etc... my point was most of the fans that go to arena or stadium rock shows are casuals, and they do want to hear those songs.

If I saw a Metallica show with nothing but new tunes and deep cuts, I'd be pumped.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4238 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
So you're one of those " everything after Justice is shit " guys ?

I personally think that Kill Em All is vastly over rated. It has a handful of good songs and a few lousy ones.
Everything after Justice is not shit. TBA has aged wonderfully and there are many great tunes on it. Load has like 3 or 4 excellent songs and other than Fuel, Reload is a coaster. Same for St. Anger. Love Death Magnetic and really like Hardwired.

Kill 'Em All is not overrated. It kicked off an entire genre of music. It's certainly fair for an objective listener to like other album's songs over that one's, but KEA's impact can never be understated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4239 on: February 08, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
The one song they always play that I couldn't give a damn about is Seek and Destroy! I LOVE Metallica, I love Kill 'Em All and I've seen them live a few times but I just don't get the love for that song. If we're talking Kill 'Em All alone I'd rather see them play Hit the Lights, Motorbreath, Whiplash, The Four Horsemen and No Remorse over Seek and Destroy any day. I really don't see how it's become such a mainstay, there are so many other songs that I wish they'd play live. I know everyone will have that opinion on at least one of their live mainstays but still.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4240 on: February 08, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
No Remorse is definitely one song they don't play enough.

It's not even that hard compared to some of their other songs.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4241 on: February 08, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
If they could get it to sound consistently good live, I would love for them to play Metal Militia more often.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4242 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
The one song they always play that I couldn't give a damn about is Seek and Destroy! I LOVE Metallica, I love Kill 'Em All and I've seen them live a few times but I just don't get the love for that song. If we're talking Kill 'Em All alone I'd rather see them play Hit the Lights, Motorbreath, Whiplash, The Four Horsemen and No Remorse over Seek and Destroy any day. I really don't see how it's become such a mainstay, there are so many other songs that I wish they'd play live. I know everyone will have that opinion on at least one of their live mainstays but still.

+1000. S&D is so BORING and just DRAGS. Agreed on No Remorse needing to be played more. One of their heaviest songs.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4243 on: February 08, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

+1000. S&D is so BORING and just DRAGS. Agreed on No Remorse needing to be played more. One of their heaviest songs.

It is boring and I just don't like it the whole 'SEARCHIIIIINNNNGGGGGG................... *SEEK AND DESTROY*' crowd sing-along part. It does nothing for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4244 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
If they could get it to sound consistently good live, I would love for them to play Metal Militia more often.

Oh hell yes!!
 :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4245 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
I've posted this before but I'd rather swap the following staples for lesser played songs...

1. Enter Sandman for King Nothing

2. Nothing Else Matters for Mama Said or Hero Of The Day

3. Sad But True for Devil's Dance

I'd do that in a heartbeat. All of those lesser songs are amazing.

I also agree on S&D although I'm not a KEA fan at all. I think they got good with RtL and stayed good through half of Re-Load. Then shit...then shit...then marginally ok.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4246 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
Spun Hardwired again the other day in the car after not listening to it for a couple of weeks.  It's a really great album.  I think it will age tremendously well.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4247 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
  I think it will age tremendously well.

It sounds amazing, and I think that always helps the aging process.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4248 on: February 08, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
Hardwired ( imo ) doesn't have one shit song in 84 minutes.

Pretty amazing.

Especially since they wrote it in about half the time they wrote Death Magnetic.

I wonder if it has anything to do with James writing 90% of the music himself?

On Death Magnetic - every member contributed to every song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4249 on: February 08, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
Hardwired ( imo ) doesn't have one shit song in 84 minutes.

Pretty amazing.

Especially since they wrote it in about half the time they wrote Death Magnetic.

I wonder if it has anything to do with James writing 90% of the music himself?

On Death Magnetic - every member contributed to every song.

Murder One is the only average song, but decent enough not to skip.

If it doesn't have something to do with James being the main song writer, let's keep it that way I say.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4250 on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
I could do without the majority of disc 2, only Am I Savage and Spit Out the Bone do much for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4251 on: February 08, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
:o for a sec i thought you said Spit Out The Bone doesn't do much for you...

Seriously though - the section that starts " Stop breathing and terminate for me " is amazing along with that super melodic melody just before it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4252 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
Seriously though - the section that starts " Stop breathing and terminate for me " is amazing along with that super melodic melody just before it.

Definitely one of my fav parts of the whole album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4253 on: February 08, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »
Spit Out the Bone is easily the best song on the album closely followed by Atlas Rise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4254 on: February 08, 2017, 05:00:11 PM »
Ranking you say ?

- Gold Tier -

1. Spit Out The Bone
2. Halo On Fire
3. Dream No More
4. Moth Into Flame

- Silver Tier -

1. Atlas Rise
2. Confusion
3. Now That We're Dead
4. ManUnKind

- Bronze Tier -

1. Here Comes Revenge
- Lords Of Summer -
2. Hardwired
3. Am I Savage
4. Murder One

Pretty tricky. I do love Hardwired and Savage but there's no shite songs. it's just that every other track is better...

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4255 on: February 08, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
If I saw a Metallica show with nothing but new tunes and deep cuts, I'd be pumped.

AMEN

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4256 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Top level;

Spit Oout the Bone
Halo on Fire
Moth Into Flame
Atlas Rise
Now That We're Dead
Am I Savage

Middle Tier;

Dream No More
Hardwired
Here Comes Revenge

Bottom Tier;

Confusion
ManUnkind
Murder One

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4257 on: February 08, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »
Spit Out the Bone is easily the best song on the album closely followed by Atlas Rise.

You sir left out Moth In Flame. Those three are my absolute favs!!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4258 on: February 08, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
Spit Out the Bone is easily the best song on the album

I keep reading this everywhere, which only makes me not want to check out the rest of the album.  I mean, if that is the best thing on it, I can't imagine what the rest might be like. :eek :eek

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4259 on: February 08, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »

I keep reading this everywhere, which only makes me not want to check out the rest of the album.  I mean, if that is the best thing on it, I can't imagine what the rest might be like. :eek :eek

It's a good song, but doesn't sound much like the rest of the album. Check out Halo on Fire, totally different, and what I consider to a better song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4260 on: February 08, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »

First of all, I mentioned 3 really good ones above.

Secondly, like others have suggested, there are a few other good songs in it too. Be open-minded, man.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4261 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm with Adami. "Spit Out the Bone" has been anointed by many as the best since it's the "thrash" song, but it's not representative of most of the album. Plus "Halo on Fire" is better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4262 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
I am always open-minded when it comes to new music, especially by bands I am already a fan of, but I think I've heard three songs from this record and none of them made any kind of dent wth me.  I am trying to remember the 3rd, but I know there was another, besides Spit Out the Bone and that silly ass song with the teenage lyrics ("we're so fucked. shit outta luck." :lol :lol).

Online Adami

« Reply #4263 on: February 08, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxH5S9_A3M

There, took out the guess work.

If you don't dig it, you don't dig it. It's all good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4264 on: February 08, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »
I'll check it out. :coolio

Full disclosure: I liked Death Magnetic a lot when it came out, but I never listen to anything from that record anymore. I still think All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss are smoking tunes, but if I am in the mood for Metallica, I am going for Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets or The Black Album.

Online Adami

« Reply #4265 on: February 08, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
I'll check it out. :coolio

Full disclosure: I liked Death Magnetic a lot when it came out, but I never listen to anything from that record anymore. I still think All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss are smoking tunes, but if I am in the mood for Metallica, I am going for Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets or The Black Album.

I can't stand DM. At all. So when I say I love this album, it's from a guy who hasn't like a Metallica album for like 20 years. Of course, I really like Load/Re-Load, so take that for what you will.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4266 on: February 08, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
I am always open-minded when it comes to new music, especially by bands I am already a fan of, but I think I've heard three songs from this record and none of them made any kind of dent wth me.  I am trying to remember the 3rd, but I know there was another, besides Spit Out the Bone and that silly ass song with the teenage lyrics ("we're so fucked. shit outta luck." :lol :lol).

That lyrics came from Hardwired... Funny lyrics, but I still like that song.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4267 on: February 08, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »

I can't stand DM. At all. So when I say I love this album, it's from a guy who hasn't like a Metallica album for like 20 years. Of course, I really like Load/Re-Load, so take that for what you will.

I still like quite a few songs from those two albums combined, so that's cool.  I think Devil's Dance is one of their better best post-Black Album tunes, and while half of Load is shit, the other half is really good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4268 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
I stopped following Metallica after the Load/Reload era and not a fan of DM at all either, yet I really love this album.  Saying that, I think St Anger is a decent unique record too, so take out of that what you will.

Online Adami

« Reply #4269 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »
I stopped following Metallica after the Load/Reload era and not a fan of DM at all either, yet I really love this album.  Saying that, I think St Anger is a decent unique record too, so take out of that what you will.

St. Anger has its role. It's just a very specific role. When I am really angry and unfocused, that album is helpful. I'm just rarely angry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com