Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381365 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4130 on: January 16, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

:emo:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4131 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
Yeah, I understand the whole not liking the tempo to be fast for the sake of being fast, but the studio version All Nightmare Long works better and gets the adrenaline pumping which works for me, personally.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4132 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
It's all situational for me, sometimes pushing the tempo up is great, other times it needs to sit back. In this case, I agree with Kotow (and ANL is one of my favorites from DM) that riff just grooves really well at that slower tempo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4133 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
It's all situational for me, sometimes pushing the tempo up is great, other times it needs to sit back. In this case, I agree with Kotow (and ANL is one of my favorites from DM) that riff just grooves really well at that slower tempo.

People on my list of enemies

125. Mikeyd23  :hug:

- - - - -

It's such a shame though. They obviously worked hard on Death Magnetic. They spent even longer writing and recording it than they did for hardwired. If only it had the same production...

They'd have more than made up for St. Anger in a big big way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4134 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
 :lol

125?! Long list buddy!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4135 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
Haha. I hesitated for ages typing that thinking what would be the funniest number. :p

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4136 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
Nailed it!  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4137 on: January 17, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
So yeah Hardwired is probably my 3rd favourite Metallica album since Kill Em All is way too old and bad sounding for me . Plus James vocals are not the best.

Ride The Lightning is great but I'm not a huge fan of Escape or Trapped Under Ice.

Master Of Puppets is flawless to me. That's why it will always be #1 on my list.

And Justice For All suffers from bad sound - James grunting his way through all the songs and overly long songs. Plus I don't really like To Live Is To Die.

Metallica sounds great all around and there's no track on it I skip.

Load and Reload are both very strong in their peaks but both have very low lows. I never listen to Poor Twisted Me or Ronnie.

I do like Reload as it has a touch of experimentation on like Low Man's Lyric and Where The Wild Things Are and Carpe Diem Baby which I love.

St Anger - well. Good in small doses when you're in a shit mood. Bad sound - although mastered quite well actually. Bad vocals, drum sounds

( albeit a stellar performance from Lars - his most inventive and creative drumming on an album since AJFA. He's on fire. )

Death Magnetic - terrible audio. A partial return to form. the iTunes Remaster sounds much better but still a mid tier album for me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4138 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Yeah I've been thinking about this lately too, and maybe it will change over time, but right now I'd put HW behind only RtL, MoP, and TBA. It's really good in my book.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4139 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
I know a lot of people slag the 2nd disc as being slow and mediocre but I don't agree. There's nothing I skip.

Even if you add Lords Of Summer into the mix. That's 84 minutes of music with barely a weak moment.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4140 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
Spun this a few times over the weekend, definitely still really liking it. Sometimes a band puts out a new album and I like it at first because I'm happy to get new material, but over time the luster fades. Not the case at all here. Dream No More, Halo on Fire, and Spit Out the Bone are still definitely my top 3. Like most of the bonus material too, but James sounds terrible on Metal Militia

Also, Kotowboy, we're going to have to have a discussion about you not liking To Live is to Die. Dat middle section! All the feels.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4141 on: January 17, 2017, 09:43:02 AM »
Yes it did.

For the sake of it.

Almost none of the fast songs on Death Magnetic had any swagger or groove to them. The All Nightmare Long demo was way catchier because they played it a tempo

that worked for the riff.

That Was Just Your Life was so fast live that James could barely sing it.

By comparison - every song on Hardwired is as fast as it needs to be to give the riff the best feel.

https://youtu.be/jdYW93poJsE?t=51s

^ Check this out. I get goosebumps every time I hear this riff. It's amazing. But on the album it's lost ALL of it's strut.

But my point is that Hardwired isnt really the return to "classic" Metallica like so many are saying. because isnt Classic Meta!lica the Thrash era? (the Pre-Black album stuff) So many seem to forget that They returned to thrash with DM, the Banget review for example.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4142 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
But my point is that Hardwired isnt really the return to "classic" Metallica like so many are saying. because isnt Classic Meta!lica the Thrash era? (the Pre-Black album stuff) So many seem to forget that They returned to thrash with DM, the Banget review for example.

Stylistically, HW pulls from their entire catalog, from KEA to DM. I'd say from a quality perspective, it's a return to classic Metallica, meaning it's (IMO) a higher quality record in terms of songwriting, performances, production, etc...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:53:01 AM by mikeyd23 »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4143 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »

Stylistically, HW pulls from their entire catalog, from KEM to DM. I'd say from a quality perspective, it's a return to classic Metallica, meaning it's (IMO) a higher quality record in terms of songwriting, performances, production, etc...

KEA ;) ;)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4144 on: January 17, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4145 on: January 17, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
I see it quite a lot actually :biggrin:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4146 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm what interested to hear everyone's opinion after a year of the release, cuz I still think the album has the 'new car smell' to it.
I want to place this one ahead of Kill and Justice, but part of me thinks that's wrong, cuz the first 5 albums have such a 'sacred' status to them hahaha.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4147 on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
For me it's ahead of KEA because of rough production and amateurish writing and lyrics. It's ahead of Justice simply because of production. The songs on Justice are incredible but I'm not a fan of the sound, therefore I don't listen to it as much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4148 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
It's in the top 5 best sounding Metallica albums for sure.

[ in no particular order ]

1. Metallica
2. Garage Inc Disc 1
3. Reload
4. Load
5. Hardwired To Self Destruct.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4149 on: January 18, 2017, 06:05:10 AM »
Metallica just debuted Confusion in Beijing. Hoping we get that for the MetOnTour video ! :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4150 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »
Metallica just debuted Confusion in Beijing. Hoping we get that for the MetOnTour video ! :)

That's the first song they played from disc two as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4151 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »
Yep.

"...::) Huh. So far Metallica hasn't played anything from disc two...they must think it's as shit as we all do....oh......"

Disc two has Confusion, Here Comes Revenge, ManUNkind ( a great song ) and Spit Out The Bone.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4152 on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
Yep.

"...::) Huh. So far Metallica hasn't played anything from disc two...they must think it's as shit as we all do....oh......"

Disc two has Confusion, Here Comes Revenge, ManUNkind ( a great song ) and Spit Out The Bone.

And a top three song on the record for me, Am I Savage?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4153 on: January 18, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »
I'm going to guess that over the course of the year, they will play every song from the album and every song will get a live video as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4154 on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
I'm going to guess that over the course of the year, they will play every song from the album and every song will get a live video as well.

I expect so. I don't think they'll tease the fans by debuting a song and put up Sandman as the live vid.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4155 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »

I expect so. I don't think they'll tease the fans by debuting a song and put up Sandman as the live vid.

:lol Looking forward to seeing a video of Confusion live. Not the best overall song from the new record (IMO) but it has some fantastic riffing including that main AJFAish riff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4156 on: January 18, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »

:lol Looking forward to seeing a video of Confusion live. Not the best overall song from the new record (IMO) but it has some fantastic riffing including that main AJFAish riff.

Yea totally.  You can add me to the group of people who think disc 2 is fairly weak, however, I will gladly take any live video of those songs.  I just love seeing bands play different songs.  However, if it were a show I attended, I'd be bummed if say I got ManUnkind instead of Halo on Fire or something similar, but that's bound to happen with any touring band who rotates songs in a set.

I just want them to announce a NA tour

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4157 on: January 18, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I just want them to announce a NA tour

Same here, they are doing a good job mixing up the sets so far and including a good amount of new stuff...

Here's the set from China yesterday:

Hit the Lights
Atlas, Rise!
King Nothing
The Memory Remains
(followed by Kirk's solo)
The Unforgiven
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Harvester of Sorrow
Confusion
(live debut; followed by Rob's solo)
Halo on Fire
Sad But True
Wherever I May Roam
For Whom the Bell Tolls
(followed by Kirk's second solo)
The Day That Never Comes
Creeping Death

Encore:
One
(with Lang Lang)
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

I'd freaking love to see that set!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4158 on: January 18, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
If you can buy individual songs I might buy the first show of the tour as that sounded great and a couple of debuts...Then just get the HW songs individually.

I'm also really looking forward to the live Blu Ray of this tour. That new intro with the extended HW and video looks amazing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4159 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I'm also really looking forward to the live Blu Ray of this tour. That new intro with the extended HW and video looks amazing.

Have they stated anything about making one?  I would certainly be interested.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4160 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
I would imagine so.

There were FIVE for the Death Magnetic tour :p

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4161 on: January 18, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
Mikeyd, that setlist is killer. I'm seriously thinking of seeing them if/when they hit the States.  It depends on the venue, but...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4162 on: January 18, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »
Mikeyd, that setlist is killer. I'm seriously thinking of seeing them if/when they hit the States.  It depends on the venue, but...

For sure, if they hit up Pittsburgh I'll try my best to go.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4163 on: January 18, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
I will be at the Hong Kong tomorrow. I expect a similar setlist like their concert in Seoul, Korea. Check out that here: https://metallica.com/tour/26153

I think this is even better than the Beijing one.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4164 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
Two Kirk solos, good lord.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.