Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 382067 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4095 on: January 15, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
The difference is that Hardwired...To Self Destruct doesn't sound totally forced whilst Death Magnetic does. The Day That Never Comes was so blatantly trying to write another "One"

or "Sanitarium".

With the new album it seems like they've just written songs and kept the best 12 - no matter what style they are.

The lovely production helps a ton too. If the new one sounded as thin and as fizzy as Death Magnetic again - i'd probably have quit being a fan.

But the album is GREAT. Really renewed my love for the band.

Halo on Fire is like a Fade to Black / Sanitarium type song without sounding like it's trying to be.

Spit Out The Bone is leagues better than My Apocalypse.

There's even touches of Load and Reload on there. I'd say almost every album is referenced sonically bar St. Anger.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4096 on: January 15, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
I don't know.   When Confusion first came on, the intro sounded like a blatant attempt to re-do Am I Evil.  (which I realize was a cover, but Metallica made it famous)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4097 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
I don't know.   When Confusion first came on, the intro sounded like a blatant attempt to re-do Am I Evil.  (which I realize was a cover, but Metallica made it famous)

I feel like a lot of this album is tributes to their past and influences without blatant repetition.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4098 on: January 15, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
That's a very fuzzy and extremely subjective line.

The only difference I see in the approach to HW vs DM so far is the better production.   ....maybe a strong argument could be made for overall stronger material.  But I think they are very similar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4099 on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »
Better vocals w/ harmonies

Better guitar sound

Better drum sound.

Much better arrangements.

Solos mostly better. There's nothing as bad as the atonal garbage on End Of The Line. Lot more melodic on the whole.

Some of James' best lyrics since Load.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4100 on: January 15, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Metallica setlist with nothing played from MoP

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2017/mercedes-benz-arena-shanghai-china-43f8a3c7.html

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4101 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Metallica setlist with nothing played from MoP

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2017/mercedes-benz-arena-shanghai-china-43f8a3c7.html

A bit of a bummer....but it gives me hope that maybe we can have a setlist with nothing from TBA someday.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: January 15, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
Yeah If I ever saw Metallica - i wouldn't cry if they dropped The Black Album regulars.

Instead of Sad But True - Dream No More or Devil's Dance

Instead of Nothing Else Matters - Mama Said

Instead of Enter Sandman - King Nothing or Confusion.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4103 on: January 15, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
As much as I love TBA, I agree those could use a break. It would really shake things up!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4104 on: January 15, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
I saw Metallica only once and missing Nothing Else Matters was the least of my complaints (well, actually I haven't had really any).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4105 on: January 15, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
I wouldn't focus on albums, but the songs played from albums.

Plenty of songs from TBA that are completely ignored. I'd be cool with them dropping Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Roam and Sandman for a while, but songs like Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man, The God that Failed and so forth would be cool additions.

Same with any other album, do a double date in a city and on the second date, drop the huge hit songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4106 on: January 15, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
That's my biggest problem with them, they don't switch it up with the setlists. They keep playing the same songs over and over, while a lot of the deep cuts get ignored. Now is the best time to do that, since they have a new album out. Play more new songs and bring some deep cuts to life (Fixxxer!!!)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4107 on: January 15, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
That's my biggest problem with them, they don't switch it up with the setlists. They keep playing the same songs over and over, while a lot of the deep cuts get ignored. Now is the best time to do that, since they have a new album out. Play more new songs and bring some deep cuts to life (Fixxxer!!!)

I agree, but they proved (with those by request shows) that the fans attending the shows really just want to hear those big songs and nothing else.

I personally say screw them, but that's probably not a smart career move.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4108 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
They never play the exact same set twice but they do have "slots" for x type of song which rotates.

Such as song 15 is always a cover and 4 is a ballady one... Song 14 is always a thrasher for instance.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4109 on: January 15, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »

That's an awesome setlist. The Chinese may be up to something with censorship, force the band to play something more unique.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4110 on: January 15, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »

That's an awesome setlist. The Chinese may be up to something with censorship, force the band to play something more unique.

They won't let them play Master of Puppets due to the subject matter.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4111 on: January 16, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
Because they don't want people to hear a message about how drugs are bad and they ruin you?  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4112 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:38 AM »
Because they don't want people to hear a message about how drugs are bad and they ruin you?  :biggrin:

They interpret it as being about government so they censor it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4113 on: January 16, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »
I gave the album a couple good listens when it came out. Now tonight I have it on as background music while I play Warcraft. It has grown on me. :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4114 on: January 16, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »
Halo on Fire and Now That We're Dead sounded pretty tight on those LiveMet videos!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4115 on: January 16, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
Halo on Fire and Now That We're Dead sounded pretty tight on those LiveMet videos!

Haven't watched NTWD yet. I thought Kirk was excellent on Halo. What a great song. That ending :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #4116 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
I love the new album. LOVE it. I liked Death Magnetic, too. But this new one...LOVE IT.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4117 on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »

Haven't watched NTWD yet. I thought Kirk was excellent on Halo. What a great song. That ending :hefdaddy

Yeah Kirk sounded really good at the end of Halo, he was playing really well (by Kirk standards).

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4118 on: January 16, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
But DM had much more so speed. It's a speed/thrash metal album, while HW is more just a traditional metal album like TBA. At least that's how I categorize it all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4119 on: January 16, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Yes it did.

For the sake of it.

Almost none of the fast songs on Death Magnetic had any swagger or groove to them. The All Nightmare Long demo was way catchier because they played it a tempo

that worked for the riff.

That Was Just Your Life was so fast live that James could barely sing it.

By comparison - every song on Hardwired is as fast as it needs to be to give the riff the best feel.

https://youtu.be/jdYW93poJsE?t=51s

^ Check this out. I get goosebumps every time I hear this riff. It's amazing. But on the album it's lost ALL of it's strut.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4120 on: January 16, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »

^ Check this out. I get goosebumps every time I hear this riff. It's amazing. But on the album it's lost ALL of it's strut.

Yeah that riff works so much better at that tempo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4121 on: January 16, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »

Yeah that riff works so much better at that tempo.

It dates back to the St. Anger Presidio sessions. It also shows up again in a slightly different form on Spit Out The Bone in the " The Flesh Betrays The Flesh " part.

Check it out.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4122 on: January 16, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »

It dates back to the St. Anger Presidio sessions. It also shows up again in a slightly different form on Spit Out The Bone in the " The Flesh Betrays The Flesh " part.

Check it out.

Another refreshing thing are the couple vocal harmonies that are scattered throughout. DM could have used those.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Yes. James is great at harmonies and there's NONE on Death Magnetic. Horrible brittle production plus squashed reverb-free vocals = UGH.

I've heard vocal stems from Death Magnetic and James still has all the power and grit - but it's been robbed by the production.

EDIT : https://youtu.be/YmZ44oakyZM?t=1m27s

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4124 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
Hardwired is probably a better album overall but I thought DM had some better ideas/riffs on it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4125 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »
I felt like on Death Magnetic they were doing an impression of a Metallica album.

On Hardwired they were a well oiled machine.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4126 on: January 16, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
Almost none of the fast songs on Death Magnetic had any swagger or groove to them. The All Nightmare Long demo was way catchier because they played it a tempo

I'm afraid I don't agree. I mean, it's fine, but it does feel a bit sluggish. I much, much prefer All Nightmare Long.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4127 on: January 16, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
It only feels sluggish because you've heard the fast version.

I heard this riff in the Some Kind of Monster movie in 2003 and I loved it slow.

:)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4128 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
The thing about Metallica is that you could take any song's riff and speed it up or slow it down, and it'd still be pretty cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4129 on: January 16, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »

I'm afraid I don't agree. I mean, it's fine, but it does feel a bit sluggish. I much, much prefer All Nightmare Long.

Agreed.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.