Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381844 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3885 on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
Maybe when the next album surfaces it could be a new classic like Master / Black.

That's not a when, that's an IF! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3886 on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:25 AM »
I feel this new album could shape up to be one of their classics. I like it as much as anything they've ever done. Very fun album to listen to!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3887 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:52 AM »
It's a great album for a workout in the gym, I'll tell ya that!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3888 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »
It's a very, very long interview, much of it focused on bees. For some reason I still listened to all of it. :lol

Listening to it now, it's a shorter interview by rogan standards :lol

Pretty good interview so far.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3889 on: December 19, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »
It's a very, very long interview, much of it focused on bees. For some reason I still listened to all of it. :lol

Listening to it now, it's a shorter interview by rogan standards :lol

Pretty good interview so far.

Listening too! Joe is really good...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3890 on: December 20, 2016, 04:42:38 AM »
Just finally got around to throwing my copy of disc 1 on today in the car.  Didn't have any expectations for this, but I really enjoyed it.  Atlas has some good melodies, Now That We're Dead, screams Load as does a lot here and the chorus is great.  Halo on Fire is killer too with the excellent Outlaw Torn style second half.  Solid, looking forward to the second disc.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3891 on: December 20, 2016, 05:20:57 AM »
Just finally got around to throwing my copy of disc 1 on today in the car.  Didn't have any expectations for this, but I really enjoyed it.  Atlas has some good melodies, Now That We're Dead, screams Load as does a lot here and the chorus is great.  Halo on Fire is killer too with the excellent Outlaw Torn style second half.  Solid, looking forward to the second disc.

Disc 2 is overall a lot more Reload. Mid paced and kinda experimental. But Am I Savage has the best riff on the album. You'll know it when you hear it.

Spit Out The Bone is amazing.

Confusion has a very And Justice For All verse riff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3892 on: December 20, 2016, 07:18:17 AM »

Disc 2 is overall a lot more Reload. Mid paced and kinda experimental. But Am I Savage has the best riff on the album. You'll know it when you hear it.

Yeah pretty much that. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the second disc wolf... Like Kotow said, it's very Load-Reloadish outside of Confusion (could have been on AJFA) and Spit Out the Bone (could have been on any of the first four albums).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3894 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »
Top 3 Hardwired To Self Destruct tracks...

1. Spit Out The Bone
2. Dream No More
3. Halo On Fire

If I had to choose a least favourite i'd cheat and say Lords Of Summer but actual non-bonus track = Murder One. I do like it but I enjoy every other song more.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3895 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
Here Comes Revenge is a favorite here at the moment. Love the build up from the end of the verse to the pre-chorus.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3896 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
According to Kirk - the weird intro to Here Comes Revenge is from a different song that they messed around with in Pro Tools and put on afterwards.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3897 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
Here Comes Revenge is a favorite here at the moment. Love the build up from the end of the verse to the pre-chorus.
I'm working on learning Here Comes Revenge through Rocksmith today. Man, I really need to get back into shape for this style of music. I worked through the first half the song and my right arm is toast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3898 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
ON a good day i can play Moth Into Flame's rhythm parts without stopping.

Atlas Rise! is fun but yeah my right shoulder hurts afterwards. Hitting the tarmac 18 months ago didn't help.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3899 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
I haven't played guitar regularly for years, so jumping right into these kinds of parts right away is a stretch. :lol Metallica always gets me back into guitar for some reason, though. When Death Magnetic came out, I was all over trying to learn those songs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3900 on: December 20, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
I think Moth is the trickiest song on the new album. Lots of fiddly parts.

Hardwired is the hardest due to the speed of it.

I don't find Spit out The bone too hard.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3901 on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Now That We're Dead was the first one I tried to play, because it sounded easy, and it was.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3902 on: December 20, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »
Top 3 Hardwired To Self Destruct tracks...

1. Spit Out The Bone
2. Dream No More
3. Halo On Fire

^This. Possibly in a different order though.

If every song on the album was as good as those 3, it would be an excellent album. As it is, it's just good imo.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #3903 on: December 20, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »
As said by many, this is at least a good album.

My absolute favs are:
Spit Out The Bone
Moth Into Flame
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3904 on: December 21, 2016, 04:42:06 AM »

Yeah pretty much that. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the second disc wolf... Like Kotow said, it's very Load-Reloadish outside of Confusion (could have been on AJFA) and Spit Out the Bone (could have been on any of the first four albums).

Cheers boys.  Still on disc 1, I think it's fantastic.  Will crack onto disc 2 tomorrow.  I shouldn't have a problem with the Reload references, I always found a lot of stuff on that disc to like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: December 21, 2016, 05:33:54 AM »

Cheers boys.  Still on disc 1, I think it's fantastic.  Will crack onto disc 2 tomorrow.  I shouldn't have a problem with the Reload references, I always found a lot of stuff on that disc to like.

Quick summary :

1. Confusion  - A lot of AJFA in the verse riff. Black Album chorus. A stomper. Should sound good live if they don't rush it.

2. ManUNkind - Swung rhythm. Cool bass intro. A funkier more upbeat version of 2x4 from Load.

3. Here Comes Revenge. More Black Album style goodness with Reload style weirdness in the intro. Wolf And Man type vibe.

4. Am I Savage. More swing ! Clean intro. Funky Wasting My Hate style main riff and *THAT* riff at 4:10.

5. Murder One. Most people's least favourite. not *bad* by any means. Just not a stand out.

6. Spit Out The Bone. It's as good as you've heard. Maybe not on first listen but it gets stuck in your head. Second fastest song on the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3906 on: December 21, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »

Yeah, I learned most of Atlas, but Moth has some tricky right hand stuff going on, it's hard to get perfectly tight.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3907 on: December 21, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »

Same here

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3908 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:27 AM »
5. Murder One. Most people's least favourite. not *bad* by any means. Just not a stand out.

I was listening to disc 2 on my drive into work and I really thought to myself that this is the only bad song on the album.  Some great songs mostly solid songs and then this one bad song, just my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: December 21, 2016, 09:16:41 AM »

Yeah, I learned most of Atlas, but Moth has some tricky right hand stuff going on, it's hard to get perfectly tight.

It's that awkward verse rhythm with that fiddly turnaround going right back into that awkward rhythm. Hardest thing on the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3910 on: December 21, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
It's that awkward verse rhythm with that fiddly turnaround going right back into that awkward rhythm. Hardest thing on the album.

Yup. It's frustrating too, because in terms of actual notes being played, it's pretty simple. But trying to play it over and over up to tempo, it's tough to play clean.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3911 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
First time I heard Atlas it sounded hella complex but it really isn't.

It's easier than Moth for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: December 26, 2016, 04:48:14 AM »
So Disc 2 isn't quite up to the quality of Disc 1, but with more listens, it's not far off.

Confusion is a solid Load and Black era offering and I can definitely hear the Justive influence too.  ManUnkind is one of the weakest, but is saved but some groovy riffing.  The melodies are lacking a bit though.  Revenge is becoming one of my favs and is a real grower.  Love the chorus.  Am I Savage I think is top 3 at the moment.  Not much to it, but can't get it out of my head.  When I first heard the riff everyone is drooling over, I thought, 'it's cool, but nothing mindblowing,' but then it gets stuck in my head and I just randomly can't stop tapping it, it's quite clever and brutal at the same time.  Murder One is meh and placed appropriately.  Bone is incredible, nothing more to say, what a song.  Love the Maiden style harmony in there and James' vocal melodies over that part are fabulous.

Terrific album from start to finish.  The only downside is Kirk, he's just a shithouse guitarist and the songs could be so much more with some thought, imagignation and technique put into the solos. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3913 on: December 26, 2016, 04:51:16 AM »
Terrific album from start to finish.  The only downside is Kirk, he's just a shithouse guitarist and the songs could be so much more with some thought, imagignation and technique put into the solos.

I have been pleading with Jaymz to get Skolnick in since the 80's but he won't listen :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3914 on: December 26, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »

I have been pleading with Jaymz to get Skolnick in since the 80's but he won't listen :lol

It's funny you mention that.  I actually thought a few times when listening to this album about how good it would be with someone like Skolnick behind the strings.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3915 on: December 26, 2016, 05:53:15 AM »
I was listening to the new album earlier today & this question popped into my mind: if this album had an instrumental, what track would you want it to be?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3916 on: December 26, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »
I was listening to the new album earlier today & this question popped into my mind: if this album had an instrumental, what track would you want it to be?

The outro to Halo On Fire would be a pretty cool climax to an instrumental.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3918 on: December 26, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
I'm waiting for tour dates. Can't wait to see these songs live, and to see what kinda visuals they come up with.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: December 26, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »
I'm waiting for tour dates. Can't wait to see these songs live, and to see what kinda visuals they come up with.

https://metallica.com/tour