Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379767 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3815 on: December 07, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »
Ok my ranking as of right now....

1. Master of Puppets
2. Metallica
3. Ride The Lightning
4. Hardwired
5. Load
6. Reload
7. And Justice For All / Death Magnetic ( both good albums with sucky production )
8. Kill Em All
9. St. Anger

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3816 on: December 08, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
1. Metallica
2. Ride The Lightning
3. Master Of Puppets
4. ...And Justice For All
5. Hardwired... To Self-Destruct
6. Load
7. Death Magnetic
8. Kill 'Em All
9. Reload
10. St Anger
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3817 on: December 08, 2016, 12:23:49 AM »
I can't really do rankings very well, so my top 3 will all be interchangeable.

1/2/3. Black Album, Justice, Puppets
4. Ride
5. Load
6. Hardwired
7. Reload
8. Kill 'Em All
9. St. Anger
10. Death Magnetic
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3818 on: December 08, 2016, 02:30:26 AM »
My ranking, with spaces in between the tiers.

01: Master of Puppets (This will never change. Ever.)
02: ...And Justice For All (Ditto for this.)

03: Death Magnetic
04: Kill 'Em All
05: The Black Album
06: Ride The Lightning
07: Hardwired...To Self Destruct

08: ReLoad
09: Load
10: St. Anger (This and Load switched places recently.)
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3819 on: December 08, 2016, 02:34:27 AM »
1. Master of Puppets

2. TBA

3. Ride The Lightning

4. Hardwired

Not all that fussed about any of the rest bar the occasional listen and a  few standout songs (the top three listed there , esp the top 2,  are classics IMO).   The only album of theirs that I find unlistenable is St Anger but nothing outside those top 4 would get a rating of > 7.5/10 from me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:45:01 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3820 on: December 08, 2016, 04:11:49 AM »
1. Master of Puppets

2. TBA

3. Ride The Lightning

4. Hardwired

:tup

I think Hardwired will stay around #4 or #5 as times goes on. I think people will come to appreciate the slower songs more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3821 on: December 08, 2016, 05:09:40 AM »
Still haven't had any time to even listen to the new album.  Rankings seem positive though.  I might just pick it up on the weekend.  No new releases this back end of the year and haven't bought a new album for quite a few weeks so I'm starting to get a bit edgy cause of it.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3822 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
So I got bored and came up with a setlist that I'd like to see for the Worldwired tour, while trying to keep it realistic:

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Cyanide
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Moth Into Flame
Now That We're Dead
Dream No More
Sad But True
One
Fixxxer
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Halo On Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Whiskey In The Jar
Seek & Destroy
Creeping Death

Spit Out The Bone

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3823 on: December 09, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
Edited without any consideration for being realistic  :metal

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Damage Inc.
Moth Into Flame
Now That We're Dead
Dream No More
Sad But True
One
Fixxxer
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Halo On Fire
Unforgiven II
Harvester of Sorrow

Whiskey In The Jar
To Live is to Die
Creeping Death

Spit Out The Bone
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3824 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:54 PM »
Edited without any consideration for being realistic  :metal

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Damage Inc.
Moth Into Flame
Now That We're Dead
Dream No More
Sad But True
One
Fixxxer
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Halo On Fire
Unforgiven II
Harvester of Sorrow

Whiskey In The Jar
To Live is to Die
Creeping Death

Spit Out The Bone

Yes. Better.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3825 on: December 10, 2016, 03:56:03 AM »
Can I give it a shot?

Hardwired
Atlas, rise!
Master of puppets
Trapped under ice
Spit out the bone
Moth into flame
The Day that never comes
Of wolf and man
The Memory remains
Unforgiven II
Hero of the day
Halo on fire
Nothing else matters
Enter Sandman
---
Whiskey in the jar
One
Seek and destroy

Here's the thing. I can see some of the Load/Reload songs returning to the set, since those albums are gaining appreciation as years go by, and some 80s songs finally taking a break because enough is enough. This is me predicting it more than wishing in, though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3826 on: December 10, 2016, 05:12:34 AM »
This is the playlist / setlist I've made for when I go to work. Not being content with just making playlists, I organize them as setlists, so that I can listen to an imaginary show. The time it takes for me to make the round trip is 90-95 minutes, so with all the pauses between songs and live endings you get roughly a 2 hour show with this one. Of course I'm bound by time contraints, and songs I've put in recent playlists that I remove since I like to keep things fresh.

Anyway, here's my go, influenced by the live bonus songs of the deluxe version of the album:

The Ecstasy of Gold (intro)
Hardwired
Creeping Death
The Four Horsemen
Moth into Flame
Fade to Black
Atlas, Rise!
One
Turn the Page
Halo on Fire
Sad But True
Spit Out the Bone
Master of Puppets
Enter Sandman
----------------
Last Caress
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Metal Militia
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3827 on: December 10, 2016, 05:16:44 AM »
The problem with only having 10 albums in 35 years is that if you made a compilation of album tracks - the production and James voice would vary tremendously.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3828 on: December 10, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »
Of my compilation the studio tracks are the new ones, The Memory Remains, Sad But True and Last Caress. Everything else is a live version, both for the novelty of it and because being live songs they're played faster and I can gain some minutes to fit in the overall time. So basically I hardly hear young Hetfield  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3829 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
Here's the thing. I can see some of the Load/Reload songs returning to the set, since those albums are gaining appreciation as years go by, and some 80s songs finally taking a break because enough is enough. This is me predicting it more than wishing in, though.

That would be awesome, since the Load/Reload songs match the new album quite well, with the groove and whatnot. The DM tour was exclusively new stuff and 80's songs, so it would be nice to have that balance.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3830 on: December 10, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
Speaking of setlists, this is the only Metallica show I've ever attended:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2011/arena-concerti-fiera-milano-rho-italy-1bd361b8.html

The Ecstasy of Gold
Hit the Lights
Master of Puppets
The Shortest Straw
Seek & Destroy
Ride the Lightning
Through the Never
All Nightmare Long
Sad But True
The Call of Ktulu
One
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Blackened
Fade to Black
Enter Sandman
=============
Die, Die My Darling (Misfits cover) (with Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax)
Damage, Inc.
Creeping Death

Not THAT bad for my first and only Metallica concert, uh?  ;D :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3831 on: December 10, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Speaking of setlist, this is the only Metallica show I've ever attended:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2011/arena-concerti-fiera-milano-rho-italy-1bd361b8.html

Not THAT bad for my first and only Metallica concert, uh?  ;D :metal

Goddamn!!! I've seen them 3 times but that setlist destroys all the ones I saw! I am jealous, sir.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3832 on: December 10, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
I know! First time I see them and I immediately get The Call of Ktulu among other things!

Furthermore Creeping Death is my favorite song by them and I knew they often opened with it, or played it second. When the show was done I had long resigned that they wouldn't play it, and when James did the "You count in the next song" game calling the audience to shout "1,2,3,4", as I knew it often happened with Creeping Death, I remember being frozen in anticipation and when the song started, I literally screamed of joy jumping to hug a taller friend who was there with me. It was a glorious moment  ;D

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3833 on: December 10, 2016, 09:37:39 AM »
RTL is my favorite album of all time, so for them to casually play over half the album, it would make me go crazy!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3834 on: December 12, 2016, 04:11:39 AM »
RTL is my favorite album of all time, so for them to casually play over half the album, it would make me go crazy!

Ditto

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3835 on: December 12, 2016, 04:24:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7TvWdVXoD8

The Making Of " Now That We're Dead ".

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3836 on: December 12, 2016, 07:18:01 AM »
These 'making of' videos always make me appreciate song more, I'm glad they did it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3837 on: December 12, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »

Awesome video, I'm starting to wonder if some of my issues with the guitar solos on this record are Kirk and his playing or with the choices and directions of others (Lars and Greg). I liked some of the stuff he laid down in this video way more than what made it on to the album.

I'm wondering if he came in, did a bunch of passes, and then left. After he was gone Lars and Greg cut those takes together and made stuff they liked. If that's the case, shame on Kirk for not having a more invested interest on what his solos would be on the record.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3838 on: December 12, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
I've read elsewhere that James has said that Kirk is totally un-interested and disconnected in the studio. Lars and him will be discussing something and Kirk is just reading and not participating.

Maybe he just isn't into it anymore and treats it more like work rather than his hobby.

- - - - - -

Also - everything about this album cycle has been great ( long wait aside ** ) - I love how they dropped the info for the new album, the first single and video all in one day like BOOM.

Plus a 3CD edition of the album with Lords of Summer as a studio quality bonus track for those that wanted it - and it's on the bonus disc for people who don't want it on the album etc...

A music video for every song - and a making of for every song.

Actual music aside - i'm not sure what else anyone could want.

BUT if I did have to pick something - I was hoping for a live-in-the-studio playthrough of the whole album as a DVD again :)

--------

** - But as I always said - the long wait will be worth it if the album is great - which to me it definitely is. It pretty much ticked all my "expectation" boxes...

PLUS - weirdly - the actual studio time for Hardwired is A LOT LESS than it was for Death Magnetic.

Death Magnetic - entered the studio Late 2005 - Album Late 2008

Hardwired - Entered the studio late 2014 - Album out late 2016.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3839 on: December 12, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »
I've read elsewhere that James has said that Kirk is totally un-interested and disconnected in the studio. Lars and him will be discussing something and Kirk is just reading and not participating.

Maybe he just isn't into it anymore and treats it more like work rather than his hobby.

Yeah maybe that's just it, it's just disappointing because there have been a couple of these making of videos in which some of the stuff that was left on the cutting room floor sounds better than what was used. I guess that's what happens when a drummer is editing together guitar solos.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3840 on: December 12, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
It makes sense since Lars doesn't play a melodic instrument - he goes by feel or vibe.

He must think a particular solo feels right rather than being melodically supportive.

- - - - - -

The one thing the internet has done is to make bands create deluxe editions of their albums as a carrot to buy rather than download.

I don't remember anywhere near as many "Special Deluxe DVD editions" of albums before illegal downloading really took off.

You bought the CD and that was that.

1 single four months before the album. Then the album. Then nothing for 2 years :P

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3841 on: December 12, 2016, 12:37:48 PM »

Awesome video, I'm starting to wonder if some of my issues with the guitar solos on this record are Kirk and his playing or with the choices and directions of others (Lars and Greg). I liked some of the stuff he laid down in this video way more than what made it on to the album.

I'm wondering if he came in, did a bunch of passes, and then left. After he was gone Lars and Greg cut those takes together and made stuff they liked. If that's the case, shame on Kirk for not having a more invested interest on what his solos would be on the record.
I'm loving the making of videos. And I kind of agree with you here. It seems like the others have a lot more influence on what actually ends up on the record than Kirk does, solo wise. Which is fine, but it means that some of the blame for lackluster soloing has to fall on them, not Kirk.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3842 on: December 12, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Which is fine, but it means that some of the blame for lackluster soloing has to fall on them, not Kirk.

Spot on, that's where I am at now, having watched all these making of videos, or at least all the one's they have released so far.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3843 on: December 13, 2016, 02:09:45 AM »
What I'm especially seeing, and it sort of surprised the hell out of it after the whole St. Anger/Some Kind of Monster ordeal, is how much fun they're still having as a band. Plus the enthousiasm for the the new material (rightly so). Plus no f'in Bob Rock to frack things up.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3844 on: December 13, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
. Plus no f'in Bob Rock to frack things up.

:lol Oh it's THIS old chestnut.

Right - Bob Rock came in as a producer and told JAMES AND LARS what to do. And they totally went for it because they had to ?! The production on St Anger was 100% Bob Rocks idea and HETFIELD AND ULRICH HAD NO SAY . In no universe is this remotely close to being accurate.

Not to mention that Metallica, Load, Reload, Garage Inc are some of the best sounding rock albums ever.

:rollin.

If anything - Rick Ruin fucked everything up by making them sound the worst they'd ever sounded on an album and just getting them to go backwards instead of forwards.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3845 on: December 13, 2016, 04:01:38 AM »
Plus no f'in Bob Rock to frack things up.

ikr, I hated it when Bob Rock injected liquid at high pressure into subterranean rocks, boreholes, etc. so as to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas. Easily the worst part of Reload.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3846 on: December 13, 2016, 04:06:01 AM »
Plus no f'in Bob Rock to frack things up.

ikr, I hated it when Bob Rock injected liquid at high pressure into subterranean rocks, boreholes, etc. so as to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas. Easily the worst part of Reload.

He was on a mission to get the best sounding rock he could.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3847 on: December 13, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »
:clap:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3848 on: December 13, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
God, I'd love if Bob worked with Metallica again. I think the new record sounds pretty good sonically, Greg did a good job in that department, but Bob is more willing to take these guys to task and history has shown us that's exactly what they need sometimes. Anyone who has watched documentaries and footage of Bob working with the band knows that he pushed each member in different ways in order to serve the song the best. He wasn't deciding what the song should sound like, he was hearing the song, reacting to it, and pushing each member to deliver for the song.

Placing the blame on Bob for the shift in style and sound in the 90's and beyond is simply wrong, it's been discussed so much over the years that James and Lars wanted to go that direction. All Bob did was make suggestions when he felt he could (which he admitted wasn't a ton) and made the band sound their absolute BEST in studio.

The sonic quality of TBA, the Loads, Garage Inc....Those are some of the best sounding metal/rock records I have ever heard.

Offline Art

« Reply #3849 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
TBA is, for me, the best sounding metal record ever. So yeah, Bob Rock must know what he was doing.