Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 379740 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2940 on: September 27, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
Liking it better than Hardwired at this point, but it's once again pretty standard thrash fair, which by no means is bad. In fact, it's pretty damn decent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2941 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
I have just now finally heard Moth Into Flame. Wow, I think it's an awesome tune. Kirk reminds me of Jannick Gers here.

Love it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2942 on: September 27, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Good song but the guitar tone..  :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2943 on: September 27, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »
....is fine ?

Compared to Lords Of Summer or Death Magnetic it's great.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2944 on: September 27, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
I loved the tone they had on DM, it was very bright. But this one kicks ass too!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »
It was bright due to digital distortion on the final mix.

It also sounded weak and brittle.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2946 on: September 27, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
I like the singing part of the chorus and that's it in the whole song. Either a) what the fuck happened to this band? or b) what happened to my taste?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2947 on: September 27, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
  Either a) what the fuck happened to this band? or b) what happened to my taste?

That's how I felt in 1991!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2948 on: September 27, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »
Like this is just so boring to me. DM was too. Load and Reload were pretty great and I loved RtL, MoP, and AJFA. Thought TBA was ok. I just don't know...

Might be Het's voice is no longer working for me. I don't know what it is. I just know I'm less than impressed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: September 27, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »

That's how I felt in 1991!

Oh you're one of those :lol

They're in their 50s. They can't make Master Of Puppets again. This is the best they've sounded in over 15 years. If you want the same shit over and over go listen to Slayer or AC/DC or Motorhead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2950 on: September 27, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
I'm just happy to have them rocking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2951 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
Today is the 30th anniversary of Cliff Burton's death.

Was just about to post this.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2952 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »

He still is and always will be my all time favorite bassist. The influence he has had on my playing is immesurable. I would not be playing bass today if it wasn't for Cliff.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online kaos2900

« Reply #2953 on: September 28, 2016, 06:25:25 AM »
I still think the question of what would Metallica be today if Cliff didn't die is the biggest mystery in modern music history. Would he have stayed in the band? Would the black album have happened? Would Metallica be as big as they are?

Offline Evai

« Reply #2954 on: September 28, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »
Liking the new track a lot more than DM! Kirk actually playing something melodic without it sounding bad is nice.

This is all I could think of at first though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWCMRm2hrcQ
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2955 on: September 28, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »
I still think the question of what would Metallica be today if Cliff didn't die is the biggest mystery in modern music history. Would he have stayed in the band? Would the black album have happened? Would Metallica be as big as they are?

Well, I think the overall scheme of things wouldn't have changed. Death makes someone immortal and flawless so to speak, imagine Elvis dying at 27, he would be an iconic legend more than he already is and nobody could ever picture him fat and struggling to sing.

Back when Metallica were young and hungy kids taking the world by storm, who could have imagined the fearless leader James Hetflied cutting his hair? who would have thought the other mind of the band, Lars Ulrich, could become so enraged at Napster?  and who wouldn't have laughed at the idea of the solo master Kirk Hammett being sloppy and with eyeliner?

Nothing tells us that Cliff would have stayed "true to Metallica's heart" or whatever, he could have grown tired of the music like Kevin Moore and leave of his own account for all we know. He was a young boy like everyone else, who now are married family men. Like the others changed, so probably he would have.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2956 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »
Not sure how the balance of power was back then in the band. Pretty sure Hetfield/Ulrich called the shots, but their direction in the 90's might have differed a little. Who knows really.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
Pretty sweet setlist from the club show last night in NYC:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2016/webster-hall-new-york-ny-73fde2b9.html

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: September 28, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Liking the new track a lot more than DM! Kirk actually playing something melodic without it sounding bad is nice.

This is all I could think of at first though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWCMRm2hrcQ

I love Dream Theater but Moth is a much better song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2959 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
Lol I wish Metallica could still write a song even half that good. Moth to a Flame ain't close.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2960 on: September 28, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »
Pretty sweet setlist from the club show last night in NYC:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2016/webster-hall-new-york-ny-73fde2b9.html

Yup, that is an awesome set list! Good stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2961 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
Constant Motion is an ok song on an ok album that owes a huge debt to Metallica.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2962 on: September 28, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Constant Motion is an ok song on an ok album that owes a huge debt to Metallica.

I could say the same about many Metallica songs from the past 20 years. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2963 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
You're right. many metallica songs sound like metallica :neverusethis:

Offline 425

« Reply #2964 on: September 28, 2016, 10:30:50 AM »
Well, now I want to hear Dream Theater play Constant Motion but with Hetfield doing MP's vocals.

And I like Constant Motion. I know that means I have bad music taste in the eyes of DTF, but I think it's a good track. One of their best? No, not at all, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2965 on: September 28, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
Well, now I want to hear Dream Theater play Constant Motion but with Hetfield doing MP's vocals.

And I like Constant Motion. I know that means I have bad music taste in the eyes of DTF, but I think it's a good track. One of their best? No, not at all, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

I enjoy it plenty as a fun little throwaway track. To me it's the music equivalent of a summer action movie in that there's fun stuff in there but no real substance.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: September 28, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »

I enjoy it plenty as a fun little throwaway track. To me it's the music equivalent of a summer action movie in that there's fun stuff in there but no real substance.

+1 on CM being a fun song

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2967 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
Back on the forum after a while! Hey there.
This song revived my hopes for the album, really. Hardwired was too 'edgy' in my opinion. But this takes the modern Metallica sound and gives a wave of fresh air to it, i think. Either that or it's a freaking fun track. I don't know, each track from 'Death Magnetic' onward is fun for me.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2968 on: September 28, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »
I think both of the new songs so far are OK. Only issue I had with Hardwired is some of the silly lyrics. Moth is alright. I don't go gaga just cause they had some melody in the chorus, cause I actually don't much care for the melody used there. To me its blander than the verses where as someone mentioned before, even though James isn't singing with much melody there's groove to it. Overall not bad but they'll always have huge expectations for every song and release.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2969 on: September 28, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
Lol at those saying the song is too thrashy. Yeah, parts of it have sixteenth notes instead of quarter notes. BIG FREAKING DEAL. It doesn't have to plod along with quarter notes for 6 or 7 minutes like a Pink Floyd song to be good. Playing sixteenth notes adds energy and oomph. Also count me among those who liked the solo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2970 on: September 28, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »
I loved everything Kirk did except the solo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6p1Ck0ab80

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2971 on: September 28, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »

He still is and always will be my all time favorite bassist. The influence he has had on my playing is immesurable. I would not be playing bass today if it wasn't for Cliff.

Is that a small scale bass or was he just an exceptionally large man?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: September 28, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2973 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:26 AM »

Is that a small scale bass or was he just an exceptionally large man?

He was tall (even taller than Hetfield) but the bass also looks small due to the angle the picture was taken at.

I loved everything Kirk did except the solo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6p1Ck0ab80

:rollin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:59:29 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2974 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:53 AM »
Triple post for triple effect?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。