Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381772 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2485 on: August 23, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »
I have no idea what you mean by that, but it doesn't matter.

So since a solo album is not going to be discussed, how much of the new record do you think will be played live? Metallica, as we've seen, do not venture too far off from a steady setlist ,and there's no room for that many new songs. So how many do you think will show up? Which current staples do you think might be replaced?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »
James will never do a solo album whilst Metallica still exists and they played every song from Death Magnetic live at least once.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2487 on: August 23, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
Alright, two questions in a row shut down as quickly as possible.

I'll just stick to reading this thread for a bit apparently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2488 on: August 23, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »
I was talking about this with my brother the other day. I really do hope the new album is good but I'm also kind of looking forward to the day Metallica call it quits as a band and James can finally spread his wings and release something outside of Metallica, either a project with some other artists or some solo stuff. I think that will genuinely excite me more than any Metallica album could at this point.

Maybe just me though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: August 23, 2016, 06:01:36 PM »

:facepalm:

No I answered them. With facts. Get off your high fucking horse. You're not a Moderator. Stop acting like one.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2490 on: August 23, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I have no idea what you mean by that, but it doesn't matter.

So since a solo album is not going to be discussed, how much of the new record do you think will be played live? Metallica, as we've seen, do not venture too far off from a steady setlist ,and there's no room for that many new songs. So how many do you think will show up? Which current staples do you think might be replaced?

Hard to tell at this point. Lars just told Rolling Stone that these songs in general are shorter than the songs on DM, so maybe they can fit more in one setlist. But it's a double album. Something's not right here  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
Imagine a radio edit of Hardwired.

The big gap between "We're so ***.....*** out of luck " :biggrin:

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2492 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »
They did debut it on the radio station here in Minnesota but I'm not sure if it was online or actually on the radio. I didn't hear the interview so I don't know if it was an online exclusive or not.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: August 23, 2016, 11:44:39 PM »
So, I'm watching a youtube of Hetfield performing such acoustic show by himself, and man it's awesome.

Would any one else dig an acoustic solo hetfield album? Maybe not 100% acoustic, but definitely mostly.
I would absolutely dig that sort of thing. Hetfield branching out from Metallica in general would be very interesting to me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2494 on: August 23, 2016, 11:58:39 PM »

:facepalm:

No I answered them. With facts. Get off your high fucking horse. You're not a Moderator. Stop acting like one.
Er, no you didn't. You answered different questions, and did so in quite an abrasive manner. People don't need to be moderators to ask someone else to treat them with respect. This isn't the Kotowboy thread.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: August 24, 2016, 12:16:23 AM »
I quite like his acoustic rendition of Motorbreath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVNWcLG15M
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2496 on: August 24, 2016, 04:29:45 AM »
I have no idea what you mean by that, but nothing else matters.

FTFY.

To actually answer your questions, Metallica will probably play most of the new record if not all of it throughout the tour. As far as what classics get replaced, I personally have been looking at setlists from the World Magnetic tour to get an idea. Seek & Destroy, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets, One, Enter Sandman, Sad But True, and Nothing Else Matters will most likely be played at every show and possibly Fuel as well. Fade to Black, Creeping Death, Battery, and The Unforgiven should show up in a setlist more often than not. Everything else will probably be played a couple of times during the tour but won't appear often with the exceptions of Hit the Lights, Ride the Lightning, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Blackened, Wherever I May Roam, and The Memory Remains which will fall somewhere in between common and rare.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2497 on: August 24, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Catching up on the thread.

A Hetfield acoustic, singer/songwriter type solo album would be incredible. Automatic buy from me.

I'd guess there might be some acoustic guitar layers on the new record, but probably not a full acoustic song.

I heard the debut of Hardwired on the radio station, they edited out the curse words in the chorus, it sounded hilarious, WE'RE SO------------ , ---------- OUT OF LUCK

I'd guess on the tour to support the new album they consistently play 5 of the 12 tracks. Probably not the same 5 every night, they'll switch it up like they did for DM but I can't see them surrendering more than 5 songs in the set list. It seems like they are under the impression they HAVE to play what they consider classics, which is a growing list.

Personally, I think the only classics Metallica feel like they need to play every night should be: MoP, One, ES, NEM. That's it. Everything else should be considered very optional.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2498 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45:53 AM »
If you are on the fence about buying the 3 CD edition of Hardwire..., may this can help. Metstore aswered me about it:

"Hello,

We apologize for the delay. The riff originals are early demos of songs, not strictly limited to instrumentals.

Thank you!

Regards,

The Metallica Store
369 B Third Street
PMB #194
San Rafael, CA 94901 USA
FAX: (415) 458-1752
www.Metallica.com

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 6:40 AM
To: order@metallica.com; order@metclub.com
Subject: About the third disc of Hardwired...

Before I buy it, I would like to know if these "riff origins" songs are instrumentals with full band or just demo guitar riffs? Thanks!

André"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2499 on: August 24, 2016, 06:47:53 AM »
So I guess it's different from that youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8xipvEWQjc, which would have more sense if the third disc was a DVD, of course.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2500 on: August 24, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
Songs which feature acoustic guitar.

Metallica have never ever done an acoustic ONLY song.

Or even a mostly acoustic song would be good. Like I said, Mama Said is the closest they've come. I mean, Unforgiven III had a piano intro, you wouldn't call that a piano song.

I'm just saying, I bet James has written some great songs just him and an acoustic guitar. I'd love an album of that. Whether or not a song or more on Hardwired has an acoustic track or features an acoustic part is not at all what I'm talking about.

Adami, I'm with you 1000%.   James and a guitar, something like Chris Cornell's Higher Truth.  I'd buy that immediately, just on principle. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2501 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »
I worked with a guy that was a huge Gov't Mule fan, and he let me borrow a CD that had James Hetfield on a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiyABMgJMo

Het comes in on the 2nd verse. Always thought this was cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:43 AM »
Just imagine how many Hetfield songs we'll never hear because they weren't "metallica" songs.

And of course that stupid " no side projects " rule.

Although Rob still plays with other bands so who knows.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2503 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
As I mentioned to b_f on FB recently, if your bass is slung lower than where Florida is on a map of the US, you might be Robert Trujillo.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
FUCK ME!  I just listened to Coz's link and let it play, and the next song is even MORE KILLER HET!

Waylon Jennings' Outlaw Country CLASSIC as done by James (interpolating a little "Dukes of Hazard").  That gave me chills.   This is some evidence that Metallica is holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXAV56e7c

(Another good comment:  "wow. what a great fuckin job. rocked them country titties right outta their tops.")

And the NEXT song is proof that he can sing:  Deep Purple's "When A Blind Man Cries":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIY8x5gy7w

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2505 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:36 AM »
I've been waiting for 20 years for a Hetfield solo album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2506 on: August 24, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
Personally, I think the only classics Metallica feel like they need to play every night should be: MoP, One, ES, NEM. That's it. Everything else should be considered very optional.

I would probably agree with that (even conceding on Nothing Else Matters, which I was never much of a fan of until recently, but it's classic status is undeniable).

But hey, I have only see Metallica once, back in 1998, and the set list was:

Breadfan (cover)
Master of Puppets
Of Wolf and Man
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Bleeding Me
Nothing Else Matters
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Wherever I May Roam
One
Fight Fire with Fire

Low Man's Lyric/Four Horseman (acoustic)
Motorbreath (acoustic)
Sad But True
Enter Sandman

Creeping Death

Getting Of Wolf and Man, Bleeding Me, Creeping Death and The Thing That Should Not Be was pretty awesome, even if that concert did make my ears bleed. :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: August 25, 2016, 03:26:10 AM »
FUCK ME!  I just listened to Coz's link and let it play, and the next song is even MORE KILLER HET!

Waylon Jennings' Outlaw Country CLASSIC as done by James (interpolating a little "Dukes of Hazard").  That gave me chills.   This is some evidence that Metallica is holding him back.

(Another good comment:  "wow. what a great fuckin job. rocked them country titties right outta their tops.")

And the NEXT song is proof that he can sing:  Deep Purple's "When A Blind Man Cries":

Fun Fact : James played every instrument on " This Outlaw Bit ".

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2508 on: August 25, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
When a Blind Man Cries is awesome. The first guitar solo might be my favourite solo that Kirk has ever done, it's actually really good and tasteful.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: August 25, 2016, 03:38:59 AM »
Fun Fact 2 : because James recorded all rhythms on The Black Album and also played the solo on Nothing Else Matters ...

Kirk did not actually record a single note on the studio version.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2510 on: August 25, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
Fun Fact 2 : because James recorded all rhythms on The Black Album and also played the solo on Nothing Else Matters ...

It's amazing how much more infinitely melodic that solo is than any solo that Kirk played on TBA besides The Unforgiven. Same goes for James' solos in Master of Puppets and Orion for that album as well as his solo in Suicide & Redemption for Death Magnetic. And at this point in their careers, James' technical chops are far beyond Kirk's as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2511 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »

Breadfan (cover)
Master of Puppets
Of Wolf and Man
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Bleeding Me
Nothing Else Matters
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Wherever I May Roam
One
Fight Fire with Fire

Low Man's Lyric/Four Horseman (acoustic)
Motorbreath (acoustic)
Sad But True
Enter Sandman

Creeping Death

Getting Of Wolf and Man, Bleeding Me, Creeping Death and The Thing That Should Not Be was pretty awesome, even if that concert did make my ears bleed. :lol :lol

That's a pretty killer set Kev, good stuff.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2512 on: August 25, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »
I worked with a guy that was a huge Gov't Mule fan, and he let me borrow a CD that had James Hetfield on a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiyABMgJMo

Het comes in on the 2nd verse. Always thought this was cool.

I bought the NASCAR compilation "Crank It Up" for this song alone (because James was on it... had never heard it before). The rest of the CD is actually pretty good (rare tracks from Staind and Tantric were on it, and a lot of the other tracks were rock covers from bands of that time). But this was always one of my favorites on the CD, for obvious reasons. James is good on everything he does.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »

Fun Fact : James played every instrument on " This Outlaw Bit ".

Where can I get that? (I can Google it, but you seem to know about it...)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2514 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:04 AM »

It's amazing how much more infinitely melodic that solo is than any solo that Kirk played on TBA besides The Unforgiven. Same goes for James' solos in Master of Puppets and Orion for that album as well as his solo in Suicide & Redemption for Death Magnetic. And at this point in their careers, James' technical chops are far beyond Kirk's as well.

Kirk seems to be one of those guys that thinks "the weirder it is the better it is" and "the weirder I am, the better I am" and I hate that mentality.  Someone go tell Gilmour he sucks because he's not "weird enough".    Lukather is another one.   Thousands of solos that are singable on the radio, and he's legend.  I'd love for Kirk to actually LISTEN to the underlying track and try to build something on it for once. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2515 on: August 25, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
Kirk seems to be one of those guys that thinks "the weirder it is the better it is" and "the weirder I am, the better I am" and I hate that mentality.  Someone go tell Gilmour he sucks because he's not "weird enough".    Lukather is another one.   Thousands of solos that are singable on the radio, and he's legend.  I'd love for Kirk to actually LISTEN to the underlying track and try to build something on it for once.

In regards to the bolded - to my ears, he successfully did that on some of his leads all the way up through the Loads. Those first 7 albums in their catalog, he has some solos that sit perfectly with the rest of the music.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

The song or that info ?

Song dunno but one of the moderators on the Metallica Forum confirmed that James played everything on the studio version of " This Outlaw Bit ".

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2517 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
A reviewer named bimu on Metal Archives said this in his review of the new song:

"I’d been trying to come up with a word that would adequately describe my feeling towards this song, I knew it was there, but it kept eluding me. Finally, I got it: it’s ‘stock’. Stock riffing, stock imagery, stock attitude, stock lyrics. Seriously, if there ever was a Metal Song Generator™, once you included ‘thrash’ as a prerequisite, it would spew out something like this."

That describes perfectly how I feel about Hardwired.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2518 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:54 PM »
The guy is pretty much dead on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2519 on: August 25, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »

The song or that info ?

Song dunno but one of the moderators on the Metallica Forum confirmed that James played everything on the studio version of " This Outlaw Bit ".

Here's the official announcement on Metallica.com that confirms that James played all the instruments.

https://metallica.com/blog/news/345727/james-on-waylon-jennings-tribute-album