Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 381292 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
Why does anyone still follow this band?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »

For the same reason The Simpsons is still going despite not having a single good season this millennium - coasting on the strength of their old material / nostalgia. And they're still a very enjoyable live band despite half of the band being not particularly great.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
I like their music. 

:dunno:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1404 on: April 20, 2015, 12:21:53 AM »
I like their music too. Just not so much the little music they've released in the past 15 years. I still went to see them live a few years ago, and it was a great show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1405 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:56 AM »

For the same reasons people still follow DT, or believe that a new Tool album is actually coming, or like Blob said, people still watching Simpsons. Sometimes people are determined and don't want to give up. I definitely give some bands a pass despite really not being anything particular anymore, and it's like being a beaten housewife going back to an abusive husband. But that's the kind of determination you sometimes have as a fan.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1406 on: April 20, 2015, 04:28:05 AM »
Because it's impossible that people actually like the recent output of bands like DT and Metallica.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1407 on: April 20, 2015, 06:23:07 AM »
Sorry Jimmy, but that was incredibly patronising. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1408 on: April 20, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1410 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:27 AM »

It may sound cynical but that's how it is. :P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1411 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

Because they're still the greatest heavy metal band on the planet. Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger aren't that bad, Death Magnetic is great, and they're incredible live even with all of them in their 50's.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1412 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »

Anybody who follows DT and Metallica is like somebody in an abusive relationship? Ok.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1413 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »

It's not cynical, it's patronising.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1414 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »

Anybody who follows DT and Metallica is like somebody in an abusive relationship? Ok.

That's not really what I was saying. I think fanboys in general no matter what band we're talking about has a weak spot for something and might be overly forgiving to a dip in quality. For me, Metallica and DT are bands that have their good albums over a decade ago. For others, it might be other bands.

Whether you wanna call it nostalgia goggles or patronizing, I think it's something that applies to a lot of people. Opinions will always be opinions, but the way we form those opinions might sometimes be biased on other factors.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1415 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »

For the same reasons people still follow DT, or believe that a new Tool album is actually coming, or like Blob said, people still watching Simpsons. Sometimes people are determined and don't want to give up. I definitely give some bands a pass despite really not being anything particular anymore, and it's like being a beaten housewife going back to an abusive husband. But that's the kind of determination you sometimes have as a fan.

Dream Theater had 2 1/2 hiccups. Metallica haven't released a decent album since Load. Well, half of Load. That was almost 20 years ago. I'm a "singles" Tool fan, so that doesn't pertain to me. Opinions of course, but DT still release music consistently and although not all of it is the tits, they still produce some gems.

Because they're still the greatest heavy metal band on the planet.

Just because MTV shoved that down our throats doesn't make it true. Do they put on a good show? Sure, but they also can barely play their instruments anymore. The "greatest heavy metal band of all time" shouldn't be sloppy as fuck live and not be able to play shit they wrote 30 years ago that they've played over a thousand times.

My initial question can apply to Tool as well.

When the good music stops, I stop. There's plenty of the old stuff to listen to, all timeless. I stopped following The Offspring because they stopped making good music over 10 years ago. Old Metallica is great, but when they are constantly doing the shit they're doing with these "updates", why bother anymore?

And opinions and all that, but St. Anger is awful as is Death Magnetic. St. Anger was only made slightly enjoyable when those guys re-recorded it and cut out all the bullshit. Unfortunately the awful lyrics were still there. Death Magnetic was completely forgettable. ReLoad has one good song, and and it's the one everyone hates: Fuel.

And this a Metallica thread, so before anyone comes in with the whole "if you don't care, why are you here" bit, I've already said I like old Metallica. I couldn't help but read what was posted, but that doesn't mean I still follow the band. I simply roll my eyes and move on. I couldn't give 2 shits about a new Metallica album.

In fact, the only thing I care about right now, and really it's just curiosity is how the Ride The Lightning remaster is going to sound, but who knows if that's even going to happen. Clearly these guys don't really give a fuck. They're Metallica so they don't get deadlines. Any other band that tried to pull the shit they do would have been dropped from the label already. Or are they independent now?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: April 20, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »
They're on their own label now and Reload has several good songs.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1417 on: April 20, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
Good songs for curing insomnia.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
Sure, but they also can barely play their instruments anymore.

Come on, don't be silly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1419 on: April 23, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »
James is always on.
Rob is always on.
Kirk is hit-or-miss.
Lars is...  :mehlin
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1420 on: April 24, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
James is always on.
Rob is always on.
Kirk is hit-or-miss.

If Lars would stop using his china as a ride he would be much better. I love china cymbals but the way he uses it is overkill. Kirk also needs to lay off the wah. It's fine when he uses it in solos that already have it like Enter Sandman but it ruins solos like Creeping Death. And as you said, James and Rob are always spot on.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1421 on: April 25, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »
It was really only after St Anger he started going nuts on the china ride hey?  I don't mind it too much, I think it suits a lot of the songs

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: April 25, 2015, 05:15:03 AM »
I've probably said this before but drum sound aside - Lars' playing on St Anger is easily his best since

Puppets / Justice. Watch the rehearsal DVD. He's playing the shit out of his kit and actually being quite

creative. WTF happened in 2004 is a mystery...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1423 on: April 25, 2015, 05:57:08 AM »
Yeah, agreed.  The rehearsal thing is the best thing about that album, aside from SKOM which I think is an excellent documentary

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1424 on: April 25, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »

Why does anyone still follow The Rolling Stones?  (that one is lost to me)  A true fan, like a true friend, sticks with them during the bad times.  DM was a great return to form for me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1425 on: April 25, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
So what is everyone's favourite Met album for getting pumped? Mine used to be Ride, but I've found that Justice makes my bike ride home a lot faster.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1426 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »
MOP but AJFA is still my fave overall. MOP just has this scorching energy on Battery, MOP, DH, and DI.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: April 25, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »
Metallica post 2000 should be made into a study of " How not to succeed in the music business " or something.

• Not allowing a bass player to write music for the group or have any side projects thus giving him no creative output.

• Getting a documentary crew in to film you having a inter-band breakdown over 2 years.

• During which time you scramble to put together an album which is not only a shadow of your former selves but is widely regarded as one of the worst metal albums

ever.

• Releasing an extremely avant-garde experimental album that almost nobody enjoys.

• Staging not one but two eponymous festivals that only lose money.

• Releasing a 3D concert / narrative movie that isn't satisfactory on either level.

• Taking 7 + years to release a follow up to an album widely regarded as a return to form.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1428 on: April 25, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
So what is everyone's favourite Met album for getting pumped? Mine used to be Ride, but I've found that Justice makes my bike ride home a lot faster.

Despite Master of Puppets being my favorite album of all time, I would pick Black Album as the one that pumps me up, and specifically Sad But True.

-MirrorMask

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
SBT :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: April 25, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
SBT :metal

EASILY a top 3 Metallica song. The tempo is perfect on the album.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1431 on: April 25, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
James is always on.
Rob is always on.
Kirk is hit-or-miss.
James is great. Can't blame him for injuring his vocal cords in '90.
Rob is better than Jason but doesn't have the stage energy that the Newkid had. He's great too, though.
Kirk is a bit lazy with the wah. OK, a lot lazy with the wah. At least he's a better player now than in the end of the 90's.
Lars is awful. Just plain awful right now. Seriously how hard is to get Dave Lombardo or someone else to play the drums? He can play the last 3 songs if he wants to and tour with them.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

-MirrorMask

Offline 425

« Reply #1433 on: April 25, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
If Lars hears about this, he's going to take it as a compliment. Just watch.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »
Replace Lars with Portnoy.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"