Author Topic: [Music] Star One - Victims of the Modern Age  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Reviewed By: Nick
Artist: Star One
Album: Victims of the Modern Age
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2010
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Victims-Modern-Age-Star-One/dp/B0042RSMFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287093674&sr=8-1

Much has happened since the crew of Star One touched down on Earth for a series of concerts in support of the first album, Space Metal. Star One mastermind Arjen Lucassen has since put out two Ayreon albums, created two new projects, and made multiple treks through Europe with Stream of Passion. All this would find Arjen exploring many new musical grounds, and would also allow him to work with over twenty new vocalists. I suppose after awhile it’s normal to want to return to familiarity, and to a small extent that’s what Arjen has done with the new Star One album, Victims of the Modern Age.

The album sees the return of the debut’s star cast of vocalists which includes Russell Allen, Damien Wilson, Dan Swano, and Floor Jansen, and in addition we see a return of the general heaviness found on Space Metal. However there are certainly things that do not return, such as the raw, poppy moments like in the chorus of the songs “Songs of the Ocean” or “Intergalactic Space Crusaders”. It’s not to say the album isn’t catchy; however it’s done in a much heavier and darker fashion than on the first album. Victims also  boasts some brand new sounds from Arjen, most notably the opening guitar riff to “Human See, Human Do” which sounds like nothing Arjen has done to date.

The synth leads on tracks like “Digital Rain” and “Cassandra Complex” compliments an aggressive guitar style that smacks of the best moments of Deep Purple’s career. And while Arjen stepped up to the plate and delivered some of the best keyboard and guitar parts of his career the all-star roster of vocalists lived up to their reputations and gave 110% to the album. Each singer has their own moments to shine, as well as times when they play off one another in harmonious bliss like in the later parts of “It’s Alive, She’s Alive, We’re Alive”. In addition guitarist Gary Wehrkamp and keyboard wiz Joost van den Broek provided thrilling solos which are sprinkled throughout the album, and I can honestly say that for all he’s done with Arjen I think drummer Ed Warby opened up a new dimension in his playing to compliment the new musical ideas that were thrown into the mix.

While Victims of the Modern Age has a signature sound to it and some familiar voices I think most will be somewhat surprised with how very fresh this album sounds. One of my only complaints about the Guilt Machine album was that much of it sounded like 01 part two, and thankfully that is not the case this time around. I can easily see tracks like “Earth That Was”, “Victims of the Modern Age”, “Human See, Human Do”, “24 Hours”, and “It’s Alive, She’s Alive, We’re Alive” all going down as some of the best songs Arjen has ever written. And yes, I realize I just named half the album, it’s that good. The bar was set quite high by the first Star One album, but it was topped by fresh songwriting, amazing lead work on both guitars and keyboards, and excellent contributions from every musician involved.

Nick’s Rating: 10/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kala1928

Re: [Music] Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:09 AM »
Not on spotify yet :( you had a prerelease of a press-release of some sort?

Offline MuumiPeikko

• The New Migrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
I made pre-order at Arjen's store... They'll send it on last week of October, and delivery estimate to Russia 3 weeks as minimum... So, I hear not sooner then month after.  :-[ Before it don't wanna spoilers, except full-length tracks  :P After I hear it - I'll read this review :)
I know the truth is out there.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »
Kala, I received a promo of the album.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:44 AM »
Great review, looking forward to picking this one up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:26:18 AM »
Listened to the free stream thing. Maybe I just haven't given it time to sink in, but so far this album doesn't do much for me. Better than 01011001 obviously, but in a very non-progressive way. I just feel like there's nothing on this album I haven't heard Arjen do already time and time again.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »
I just got this album. I love it actually.

A lot better than the first Star One album, and I liked that one too. It's finally actually agressive and not pussy agressive. The riffs are great, vocals are great, leads are great, drumming is great. And finally an Arjen album that isn't 95% recycled material.

My only complaint is the drum mix. They were too queit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »
I just got this album. I love it actually.

A lot better than the first Star One album, and I liked that one too. It's finally actually agressive and not pussy agressive. The riffs are great, vocals are great, leads are great, drumming is great. And finally an Arjen album that isn't 95% recycled material.

My only complaint is the drum mix. They were too queit.

yeah, I've listened to it a couple of times and it's nice to finally hear Arjen doing something heavy.  Much better than the first album and songs like 24 Hours and the Human Do one are amazing.

A big step up from 01110011001(?) too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
I haven't read through all of the lyrics yet, but so far I've noticed he's used the following movies.

The Matrix
Escape form New York
A Clockwork Orange
Serenity (which doesn't even take place on earth)
And umm I think that's all I got so far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
I know Planet of the Apes and 12 Monkeys are two others.

Offline Adami

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
I know Planet of the Apes and 12 Monkeys are two others.

Oh yea duh to planet of the apes.

I figured 12 monkeys would be one of them, but which?

Also, which one is Cassandra Complex?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 04:37:14 AM »
Wiki breaks it down as;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victims_of_the_Modern_Age

* Down the Rabbit Hole - Introductory Song/The Matrix (In allusion to Alice in Wonderland)
    * Digital Rain - The Matrix
    * Earth That Was - Firefly / Serenity
    * Victim of the Modern Age - A Clockwork Orange
    * Human See, Human Do - Planet of the Apes
    * 24 Hours - Escape from New York
    * Cassandra Complex - 12 Monkeys
    * It's Alive, She's Alive, We're Alive - Children of Men
    * It All Ends Here - Blade Runner
    * As the Crow Dies - The Road
    * Two Plus Two Equals Five - Nineteen Eighty-Four
    * Lastday - Logan's Run
    * Closer to the Stars - Gattaca

I was actually listening to this album in the car today and I must say the production sounded amazing.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
I still haven't managed to get my hands on this album  :sadpanda:

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
I still haven't managed to get my hands on this album  :sadpanda:

It's not as fun/catchy as the last album. But if you want something darker and heavier, this is it.

I actually just listened to Space Metal again last night. Some good songs, but also some boring songs....like the Star Wars one, meh. And Damians performance on VOTMA blows away his Space Metal performance, as does Dan Swanos.

And Live on Earth blows away Space Metal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
Live On Earth is the only one I have right now, I have no idea what happened to Space Metal (I can't even remember it, I think I only listened once). Either way, I'm gonna try give this new one a shot.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »
My dad played this album in the car a few days ago, and even though i thought it was decent/ok-ish, it isn't really my cup of tea.
But i've always disliked Ayreon, and i consider this to be progressive music kinda "one step in the wrong direction" from what i like, if that makes any sense.
So i didn't really like it that much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 02:57:23 AM »
My dad played this album in the car a few days ago, and even though i thought it was decent/ok-ish, it isn't really my cup of tea.
But i've always disliked Ayreon, and i consider this to be progressive music kinda "one step in the wrong direction" from what i like, if that makes any sense.
So i didn't really like it that much.

I think you Dad rocks harder than you do!!