Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256476 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2030 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
to bring Trek back to TV in a way it’s never been done (as a modern, premium cable format series with a modern dramatic structure) and to touch on current themes, sociopolitical topics and new sci-fi ideas that Trek hasn’t been able to address for the past 10 years.
While I've enjoyed some of the "modern, premium cable format series" a great deal, that's not what I'm interested in seeing in ST. Sounds to me like he's wanting "grittier," just like the rest of today's society, and I've always thought part of the appeal of ST was that even when it was very serious, it was still felt very much like fantasy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2031 on: June 19, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
Time for Blob to make a Lego Star Trek show.

Make it so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2032 on: June 19, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
to bring Trek back to TV in a way it’s never been done (as a modern, premium cable format series with a modern dramatic structure) and to touch on current themes, sociopolitical topics and new sci-fi ideas that Trek hasn’t been able to address for the past 10 years.
While I've enjoyed some of the "modern, premium cable format series" a great deal, that's not what I'm interested in seeing in ST. Sounds to me like he's wanting "grittier," just like the rest of today's society, and I've always thought part of the appeal of ST was that even when it was very serious, it was still felt very much like fantasy.
Funny, I didn't get "grittier" from that at all.  Not sure where you got it.

He mentions "current themes and sociopolitical topics" which is exactly what TOS did.  No reason to read "grittier" into that at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2033 on: June 19, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
Funny, I didn't get "grittier" from that at all.  Not sure where you got it.

He mentions "current themes and sociopolitical topics" which is exactly what TOS did.  No reason to read "grittier" into that at all.
That's just how I interpret "modern, premium cable format" and "modern dramatic structure." I also suspect that's what it would take for it to fly, nowadays. But hey, maybe I'm completely off base here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2034 on: June 19, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »
I don't like this idea, and I don't think it would happen anyway. CBS have turned down countless pitches, so I don't know why this one would be any different.

But Trek has to return to TV at some point.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2035 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
What is left to cover in terms of topics that haven't already been done, though?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2036 on: June 20, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »
CBS have turned down countless pitches, so I don't know why this one would be any different.
At a guess, I would suspect that, since his original idea (and website) were called Star Trek Beyond, which is the same title that has been rumored for the next ST film, this retitling to Star Trek Uncharted and the chance for a pitch are connected with him giving them rights to that title.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: June 29, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
Sorry Blob & El Barto but Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto have signed up for Star Trek 4.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2038 on: June 29, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
Sorry Blob & El Barto but Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto have signed up for Star Trek 4.
That news doesn't disappoint me in the slightest. Just because they haven't done anything with the franchise thus far doesn't mean that they can't or won't. I think those two in particular have a lot of potential if they ever make real sci-fi, ST stuff. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: June 29, 2015, 02:48:03 PM »
For all we know - Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek 4 will be amazing .

There's no Orci, Kurtzman or Lindelof for starters

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2040 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »
I hope so.

But I will believe it when I see it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2041 on: June 29, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
For all we know - Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek 4 will be amazing .

There's no Orci, Kurtzman or Lindelof for starters
Hence me not being bothered by the announcement of Pine/Quinto. If the franchise continues to blow it doesn't really effect me and if it suddenly turns great, well, great. Like Hef, I think that's very unlikely, but I'd rather they keep trying than not, I suppose.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2042 on: June 29, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
The whole "#WeWantWorf" thing is definitely just a flash in the pan.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: June 29, 2015, 11:45:52 PM »
I hope so.

But I will believe it when I see it.

That.
And in terms of casting, I think both Pine and Quinto are great, so if by some miracle they can make a movie with a decent script, there is potential there.

The whole "#WeWantWorf" thing is definitely just a flash in the pan.

Remember the thing to have Frakes direct the next Trek movie? Yeah.......

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2044 on: August 11, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: August 11, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
Star Trek Deep Sea 9

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2046 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
Man, if you're one of those guys do you really want to be cooped up for six days on a boat full of treckies? Treckies die-hard enough to drop a grand minimum for the experience?
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
They can always segregate them ! It would be just what Gene Roddenberry would have wanted !

Man, I read the synopsis for a TNG episode because I wanted to watch one whilst I ate dinner. I started it and realised it was the bloody Orient Express Holodeck episode...

YAWN. Skip thanks.

Whenever they do " Holodeck Go Fuck Up " episodes - they've never once done where it's genuinely fucked up and the laws of physics and euclidian space no longer apply.

No. It's always just a teensy bit odd in an old timey setting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: August 13, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
Man, if you're one of those guys do you really want to be cooped up for six days on a boat full of treckies? Treckies die-hard enough to drop a grand minimum for the experience?

That's a great point. It's difficult enough to put up with one of me. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2049 on: August 15, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »

Man, I read the synopsis for a TNG episode because I wanted to watch one whilst I ate dinner. I started it and realised it was the bloody Orient Express Holodeck episode...

YAWN. Skip thanks.

Whenever they do " Holodeck Go Fuck Up " episodes - they've never once done where it's genuinely fucked up and the laws of physics and euclidian space no longer apply.

No. It's always just a teensy bit odd in an old timey setting.
If you're talking about Emergence, it's truly one of the most awful things they've done, but it doesn't have anything to do with The Orient Express, other than featuring a train.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
It's terrible. Should have stayed a mystery and not had the holo deck at all.

Just working out that aliens has made the ship self aware and were using it to get home.

Holo deck episodes are always awful. Always.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2051 on: August 17, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
On Star Trek, they sometimes dance.

Star Trek Pump up the Volume MARRS

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I remember that song as being one of the final songs I heard before we moved from the UAE in 1988.

Another video I remember from my time in Dubai is Squeeze - Hourglass

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2053 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the only Trek name on that cruise is John deLancie? That's a lot of dough just to see some badly put together props on a cruise ship.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the only Trek name on that cruise is John deLancie? That's a lot of dough just to see some badly put together props on a cruise ship.

While John Delancie is great and all, if I'm being stuck on a cruise with a bunch of other obsessive nerds, I'd need some bigger names, at least main cast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2055 on: August 19, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
???

Aside from Shatner:
Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek: The Next Generation, Robert Picardo from Star Trek: Voyager, James Darren from Deep Space Nine, Denise Crosby from The Next Generation plus John de Lancie from TNG, Voyager and Deep Space Nine will all be part of our inaugural journey.

I'm curious if Shatner is actually on hand for the whole thing. I sort of figure he'll chopper in a couple of times throughout the trip. Or, he'll stay in the presidential suite with his own private deck and just wave down at the riff raff.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »

While John Delancie is great and all, if I'm being stuck on a cruise with a bunch of other obsessive nerds, I'd need some bigger names, at least main cast.

You could be the king of all nerds though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: August 20, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »

You could be the king of all nerds though.

The real king of nerds wouldn't be on a cruise ship. He'd be rotting away in front of a computer wallowing in his own filth!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:45 AM »
From your upper desk room with a view of the ocean. :lol

I have the urge to watch the SNL skit, "Love Boat: The Next Generation" now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: August 20, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
I have double curtains to block out any pesky photons, so for all I know there may already be a view of the ocean out there. :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: August 21, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
Watched 2x Voyager .

Fury : Awful CGI when Kes is walking through Voyager.

& I forget the name but the one where there's a subspace tunnel controlled by an alien race so Voyager lands on a planet and yadda yadda revives aliens after 900 years.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2061 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
Watched 2x Voyager .

Fury : Awful CGI when Kes is walking through Voyager.

& I forget the name but the one where there's a subspace tunnel controlled by an alien race so Voyager lands on a planet and yadda yadda revives aliens after 900 years.
Not sure if you have a point to make, but the second one was Dragon's Teeth; not a bad episode. I liked that the aliens were upfront about thinking Neelix and all like him are fucking morons.

I think Fury was just an excuse to have Jennifer Lien on the show again before they wrapped it up.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: August 21, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
Fury was quite bad from what I remember, but Dragon's Teeth was fairly good. Not one of their best, but I know I liked it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: August 22, 2015, 02:03:03 AM »
No point to make. Just watched them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
The Star Trek: Renegades fan film has finally come out. Um, yeah.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM