Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256369 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1890 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:38 AM »
Yeah, it will be

1. Here we are exploring
2. Wait, something happened
3. Look it's another bad guy with plans for galactic domination
4. Lens flares/other visual effects & explosions
5. Kirk bangs an alien and the good guys win

Isn't that every Star Trek Movie? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1892 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
I didn't know Pegg was co-writing it. That's what I get for missing staff meetings, I suppose.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: March 27, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »
So now we have :

• Kurtzman & Orci OUT

• JJ Abrams OUT

• An actual Star Trek fan writing it.

We just need a better director. I hear the director of Tron Legacy and Oblivion is doing a Gran Turismo movie ...

WRONG WAY ROUND ! Get him to direct Star Trek and tell Justin Lin to fuck off to GT.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1894 on: March 27, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
^^ Well, Disney just announced that the director for TRON: Legacy, Joseph Kosinski, is returning to direct TRON 3, which will start shooting later this year

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1895 on: March 28, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »
Justin Lin isn't a horrible director.  If he gets good material to work with, he'll be fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:47 AM »
Justin Lin isn't a horrible director.  If he gets good material to work with, he'll be fine.

Exactly what i was thinking. He's done more than just F&F. He probably makes those films the way they are because that's the type of ilm they are and they call for a certain style.

If he's a big Trek fan it could be all gravy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1897 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:29 AM »
I think there's more to it than being a Trek fan, but we'll see. If the script is good, and it doesn't get mangled in filming and editing, it could turn out good.
I'm certainly more positive about Pegg writing it at this point than I was initially, I just hope his good intentions don't get put through the Hollywood grinder.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1898 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic. It seems Pegg is aware of the shortcomings of the previous movies.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1899 on: March 29, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »
Pegg writing is definitely good news.  Him and Karl Urban seem to be the two people most involved in the new Trek films that have the fullest understanding of what ST is really about.  Not that I really have a problem with flashy action and lensflare, but a story beyond "Bad guy with big, evil-looking spaceship wants revenge because reasons" would be nice.

As for Justin Lin, I have my doubts but I'll give it a chance.  Trek doesn't really seem like his forte but who knows, maybe he will surprise us.  I certainly agree Kosinski would be a much better choice, as I'm actually rather fond of both Tron:Legacy and Oblivion (even if T:L was basically a Tron-themed 2 hr Daft Punk music video with a cameo by The Dude), but at least having Pegg writing gives me hopes for the new film, regardless of the director.  As long as Lin knows how to make a movie and leaves the script in the hands of someone who knows Trek like Pegg, I think it would be a decent flick.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1900 on: March 29, 2015, 10:01:18 PM »
I have no idea who Kosinski is, other than the hapless assistant of the Traveler. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1901 on: March 29, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
Which might actually make for an interestingly discussion: If the new movie *had* to be a continuation of an existing episode (TOS, TNG, VOY, anything goes), which would it be?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »
It can't really be a continuation given that it's a new universe, but if you mean based on an episode, I could have seen them using the Borg. A simple enough idea to give them free rein. I've also thought that the mirror universe would be a badass idea. There are plenty of possibilities there.

Or Spock's Brain. Still better than Into Darkness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1903 on: March 29, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »
I would have bet money on the Borg until I realized that Pegg was writing it. Don't think his inclination would be to something that obvious. However, despite being slightly more optimistic because of the writing, my concerns about the studio still prevail. I'm not sure they'd produce the script a real ST fan would want to write.

And how 'bout:

Amok Time II: Ston's Revenge
This time it's logical

A Taste of Armageddon: The Main Course
After Enterprise leaves war breaks back out with conventional weapons (finally killing the Popping Jay Fox). After a couple of weeks the Emenians and the Vindakarins realize that it's Kirk and the Federation that screwed them. They raise havoc across the Federation until Kirk plots and schemes a way to pit them back against each other. 

Another Piece of the Action

Kracko and Oxmyx meet the Orions. The rest writes itself.

Hell, that last one could actually work pretty easily. They never even have to mention Kirk's interference if they don't want to. The Horizon left THE BOOK and some other federation yahoo clumsily gave them a communicator, and the next thing you know they're operating a mafia across 18 systems.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Star Trek: Arena

Because if you're going to write yet another movie with a big bad guy, you may as well make him a giant lizard man.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1905 on: March 30, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
According to Simon Pegg, if Idris Elba was casted, he won't be playing a Klingon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ibnbGP-hG4

Right...just like how Cumberbatch wasn't Khan, and how no one saw that a million miles away  :yeahright

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:23 PM »
They'll cast him as a red shirt and the joke will be on us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1907 on: March 31, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
They'll cast him as a red shirt and the joke will be on us.
Most badass redshirt ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1908 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
They should make a movie with an incredible lineup of top actors, and they all die as redshirts in the opening scene :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1909 on: April 04, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: April 04, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
They should make a movie with an incredible lineup of top actors, and they all die as redshirts in the opening scene :lol

Just like the TV show with Leslie Nielsen, Police Squad.  The killed every special guest for every episode. :lol  Don't miss this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCBj7z7Afs

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1911 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »

Just like the TV show with Leslie Nielsen, Police Squad.  The killed every special guest for every episode. :lol  Don't miss this link.

Don't recall that they did that. Honestly, though, never cared much for the show.

Interesting side-bit: the reason Leslie Nielson was so good at that was that he had absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. The ZAZ guys were pretty clear that he never got anything and never understood what they were trying to do, which is what made him so perfect for the part.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1912 on: April 06, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Yep, Leslie Nielson's characters were always the straight guy, completely unaware of his own cluelessness and the insanity around him, much of which was caused by himself.  That's why it worked.

Same with Peter Graves.  I remember seeing an interview with Peter Graves about Captain Oveur from "Airplane!" and how first of all, he had no idea why they would want him to be in a comedy, since he definitely was not known for his comedic chops.  One of his friends, a fellow actor (I forget who), told him that the secret to comedy is that the characters don't know they're in a comedy.  You play it completely straight, and that's what makes it funny.  It made no sense to him, but he decided to at least check out the script.  What?!  An airline pilot asking a little boy about Turkish prisons and gladiator movies?  People would think he's some kind of homosexual pedophile.  But his friend told him that that's what's so funny.  Nobody could ever imagine Jim Phelps saying that, so it's perfect.  So Graves did it, and still had no idea why it was so damned funny, but people loved it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1913 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
Dear Lord.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: April 06, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »

Don't recall that they did that. Honestly, though, never cared much for the show.

Interesting side-bit: the reason Leslie Nielson was so good at that was that he had absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. The ZAZ guys were pretty clear that he never got anything and never understood what they were trying to do, which is what made him so perfect for the part.

I was only 6 episodes but the Shatner one always stuck out for his overacting of course.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1915 on: April 06, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Yep, Leslie Nielson's characters were always the straight guy, completely unaware of his own cluelessness and the insanity around him, much of which was caused by himself.  That's why it worked.

Same with Peter Graves.  I remember seeing an interview with Peter Graves about Captain Oveur from "Airplane!" and how first of all, he had no idea why they would want him to be in a comedy, since he definitely was not known for his comedic chops.  One of his friends, a fellow actor (I forget who), told him that the secret to comedy is that the characters don't know they're in a comedy.  You play it completely straight, and that's what makes it funny.  It made no sense to him, but he decided to at least check out the script.  What?!  An airline pilot asking a little boy about Turkish prisons and gladiator movies?  People would think he's some kind of homosexual pedophile.  But his friend told him that that's what's so funny.  Nobody could ever imagine Jim Phelps saying that, so it's perfect.  So Graves did it, and still had no idea why it was so damned funny, but people loved it.
Graves figured it out eventually, as did Lloyd Bridges. According to ZAZ it was Robert Stack who straightened them out. "Guys, we're the joke here." After that they both got it and ran with it. Stack got it all along and thought the whole thing was awesome.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1916 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »
It's not new or anything, but I recently read William Shatner's book Shatner Rules, and I've gotta say it was hilarious.  I recommend it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: April 06, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »
I've loved every book by Shatner I've read.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1918 on: April 06, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »

Graves figured it out eventually, as did Lloyd Bridges. According to ZAZ it was Robert Stack who straightened them out. "Guys, we're the joke here." After that they both got it and ran with it. Stack got it all along and thought the whole thing was awesome.

I can see that.  Robert Stack also played a straight guy, but compared to the other guys, he seemed a bit more hip, just a bit cooler and more likely to see the bigger picture.

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:44 AM »
I knew what date that was posted before I even clicked it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1921 on: April 07, 2015, 01:51:43 AM »
I knew what date that was posted before I even clicked it.

And I didn't even realize it. I thought that it might have been a false story/rumor, but I didn't realize it was an April Fool's joke. I apologize. If you guys want me to delete it, just say so.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1922 on: April 08, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
Man, seeing Rene Aubergenois in the full Odo makeup while talking in his normal voice is 18 kinds of incongruous. We're all used to him be the grizzled character now, but back then he looked a bit softer and actually fits the completely unmenacing voice of RA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu9d2e9Pj6Y
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: April 08, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
I'm not used to hearing him talk like that in any role. :lol
I'm rewatching Boston Legal, and he's basically human Odo in that. And in Warehouse 13 he was wacky gruff instead of angry gruff. In Stargate he was desperate gruff. As Pepe Le Pew he was French gruff. There's a bit of a pattern here.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
How about Benson? :lol