Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 254733 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1085 on: April 15, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
I only know him from Boston Legal, and the episode of Stargate SG-1 "The Sentinel". I like scifi connections. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »
So, I finally got around to watching DS9 for the first time.  I just watched the episode "Who Mourns for Morn?", and I can't believe it took me this long to notice that "Morn" is "Norm" spelled backward.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »
Well not quite spelled backwards, but I think it was an intentional similarity.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: April 22, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
It's closer to Who Mourns For Adonais :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
It's closer to Who Mourns For Adonais :P

But who mourns for Morn?!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »
Well not quite spelled backwards, but I think it was an intentional similarity.

D'oh!  Should have actually looked at the words instead of having a Eureka! moment and immediately posting about it on the internet. 

But, yes, as you say, it does seem an obvious reference nonetheless.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: April 22, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
And who is Norm ?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1092 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
You might not know him, but he for sure knows your name. In fact, everybody knows your name.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1093 on: April 22, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Morn was a great character. There were always some great bits involving him. Worf cold-cocking him to impress Quark's wife. Jadzia wanting to bang him and getting turned down. In fact, as much as he was a reference to Norm he was also an offshoot of Kijé.

Kowtow, Norm was the resident drunk in Cheers. Didn't realize it before, but I suppose Cheers was an American phenomenon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1094 on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
Morn was a great character. There were always some great bits involving him. Worf cold-cocking him to impress Quark's wife. Jadzia wanting to bang him and getting turned down. In fact, as much as he was a reference to Norm he was also an offshoot of Kijé.

Kowtow, Norm was the resident drunk in Cheers. Didn't realize it before, but I suppose Cheers was an American phenomenon.

Man I forgot about all those episode with him.  I need to pick up the Blu Ray Series for DS9.

As for Norm,   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBbZ11d5LM

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1095 on: April 24, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »
I need to pick up the Blu Ray Series for DS9.

Not even anounced so far. A few FX clips have been recomposited in HD though and they look great (DS9 HD Clip).

And now for something completely different:
My Trek "cadet" and I successfully made it through the 20 TOS episodes I selected and the first six movies. The first leg couldn't have had a more beautiful, epic, and glorious ending than "The Undiscovered Country". She officially considers herself a fan by now. We'll get started with TNG on Saturday. Can't wait!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1096 on: April 24, 2014, 02:18:08 AM »
I'm still mad that TNG wasn't initially shot on film so yeah, we get HD, but it's in 4:3.  If only they hadn't shot the show on tape.

Even Seinfeld and Friends were shot on film which is why they can put out the full 16:9 HD versions, but TNG just feels so useless "re-mastered", like putting whip cream on a turd.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: April 24, 2014, 02:26:34 AM »
I'm still mad that TNG wasn't initially shot on film so yeah, we get HD, but it's in 4:3.  If only they hadn't shot the show on tape.

Even Seinfeld and Friends were shot on film which is why they can put out the full 16:9 HD versions, but TNG just feels so useless "re-mastered", like putting whip cream on a turd.

Every Star Trek series was shot on film (35mm), it was only edited on tape at the time for the sake of the visual effects. They then rescanned all of the film elements for the HD versions. Widescreen =/= film. Those are not related things. No show at that time was shot in widescreen, whether it was on tape or film.

I actually hate seeing Seinfeld on TV in 16x9 because that's not how it was originally shot or intended at all, so it's artistically compromised, with heads cropped too close to the top of frame etc. The remastered TOS on TV is even worse. Unwatchable. They could just as easily have put the new TNG in widescreen (and may even still crop it for new TV broadcasts as they did for TOS and Seinfeld), but luckily stuck to how it was supposed to be. That was a huge concern I had with them remastering the show in HD.

I wish people didn't have this strange mental block that widescreen is always better, even when it destroys the integrity of the art. If it wasn't shot in widescreen, it shouldn't be widescreen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:31:51 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:33 AM »
I need to pick up the Blu Ray Series for DS9.

Not even anounced so far. A few FX clips have been recomposited in HD though and they look great (DS9 HD Clip).

Greetings...
Nef

That's ok.  Now I can save for it since Paramount charges a Cardassian arm and a leg.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1099 on: April 24, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »

Every Star Trek series was shot on film (35mm), it was only edited on tape at the time for the sake of the visual effects. They then rescanned all of the film elements for the HD versions. Widescreen =/= film. Those are not related things. No show at that time was shot in widescreen, whether it was on tape or film.

I actually hate seeing Seinfeld on TV in 16x9 because that's not how it was originally shot or intended at all, so it's artistically compromised, with heads cropped too close to the top of frame etc. The remastered TOS on TV is even worse. Unwatchable. They could just as easily have put the new TNG in widescreen (and may even still crop it for new TV broadcasts as they did for TOS and Seinfeld), but luckily stuck to how it was supposed to be. That was a huge concern I had with them remastering the show in HD.

I wish people didn't have this strange mental block that widescreen is always better, even when it destroys the integrity of the art. If it wasn't shot in widescreen, it shouldn't be widescreen.

I agree with all of this.  Chopping the top and bottom off of a 4:3 picture and blowing it up to make it widescreen is just as bad as chopping the sides off of a widescreen picture to make it fit a 4:3 screen.

If you have an HDTV, it might look a little better, but to me it's the same effect as the loudness war with audio recordings.  The picture is bigger, and fills up that HDTV screen very nicely, but it's just like turning the volume up.  Yeah, you can hear it better.  Doesn't make the music itself better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: April 24, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
I want to get the 10 movies boxset. Then I can get rid of all my individual movies on DVD that don't match :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
I want to get the 10 movies boxset. Then I can get rid of all my individual movies on DVD that don't match :P

All of my DVDs are the newer releases, so they all match, although I got them all separately. It looks like the older releases got some better commentaries that my ones don't have though. Apparently one is done by Shatner and Nimoy? Instead I get some dudes from STXI doing commentary on FC when they had absolutely nothing at all to do with it. I hate that.
And also, there's the issue of whether you want the theatrical or director's cut of TMP.

I got STXI and ST:ID together as a double set, so those match too.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1102 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
The cut of TMP is no contest. The original made no sense at all. It was the director's cut that added a few things to make the story work. Besides which, I almost always opt for the director's cut in any of these discussions. The theatrical version is usually what the pencil pushers want. I want what the creators wanted to make.

Of course Star Wars is the exception.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
The cut of TMP is no contest. The original made no sense at all. It was the director's cut that added a few things to make the story work. Besides which, I almost always opt for the director's cut in any of these discussions. The theatrical version is usually what the pencil pushers want. I want what the creators wanted to make.

In the case of TMP, the original was incredibly rushed too, so I don't think it was what anyone wanted at the time. I have a newer release of TMP, and it's just the theatrical cut unfortunately, which may be the case with a complete boxset too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1104 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
Speaking of rushed cuts, I had only ever seen the regular theatrical cut of Dune. The other day I got it from a friend, and I guess that one is the extended version. Mind = blown.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1105 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
Here's something that had never occurred to me before, but probably happens quite a bit. I went back and watched the scene where Troi crashes the Enterprise in Generations. After they kill those awful Klingon bitches they're doing damage control, and they're all shouting like nobody could hear themselves think. Yet the only thing going on halfway loud was the score, which seems to be the thing they're having to shout over. Seems to be a common dramatic element that whenever there's danger about everybody has to shout at the top of their lungs, and it's usually the music they're competing with. Kind of reminds me of early Spock when he'd just randomly yell.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
I'd imagine getting pummelled with Kliongon torpedos / phaser fire might have been slightly noiseriffic.

But you reminded me of a dramatic device that occurs in films that makes no sense -

when two characters have to scream to be heard - until someone has to say something really poignant -

- then and only then the background noise suddenly goes absolutely silent and they can whisper poignantly to each other.

Then as soon as poignant message is delivered - background noise re-enters and characters continue to shout to be heard.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »
Here's something that had never occurred to me before, but probably happens quite a bit. I went back and watched the scene where Troi crashes the Enterprise in Generations. After they kill those awful Klingon bitches they're doing damage control, and they're all shouting like nobody could hear themselves think. Yet the only thing going on halfway loud was the score, which seems to be the thing they're having to shout over. Seems to be a common dramatic element that whenever there's danger about everybody has to shout at the top of their lungs, and it's usually the music they're competing with. Kind of reminds me of early Spock when he'd just randomly yell.

Who knows, maybe the music *was* playing at the time. Maybe it's like in Family Guy, where Peter has his own theme music wherever he goes.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1108 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »

Who knows, maybe the music *was* playing at the time. Maybe it's like in Family Guy, where Peter has his own theme music wherever he goes.
That'd be great. Like having high speed pursuit music that you could put on anytime things got hairy. I think The Simpsons did that gag once. "The hillbillies didn't start chasing us until you put on that banjo music!"

Somebody asked Bill Clinton what he missed the most about being the president and he said "music starting up every time I enter a room." Great answer.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
Sick with the flu and saw the 2 part with Spock on TNG on BBC America.  I love when Data used the Vulcan nerve pinch to Sela and then Spock's reaction.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
Sick with the flu and saw the 2 part with Spock on TNG on BBC America.  I love when Data used the Vulcan nerve pinch to Sela and then Spock's reaction.

Ha. Now I'm gonna have to watch it to see.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1112 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »

Thanks for the lesson on film/video.  I'm not sure where I heard/saw/imagined what I thought was true about the formats.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at Seinfeld cuz it doesn't look cropped but maybe I'm cherry-picking the "HD" episodes/scenes and not really thinking about it but they look great to me.

The "strange mental block" that 16:9 is always better comment is interesting, the keyword being "always".  Taking 4:3 and zoom-cropping it to 16:9, yeah, that's not so cool, but seeing Family Guy and Simpsons switch to 16:9 as of a few years ago has been a hugely refreshing upgrade but I wouldn't want to go back and blow up older episodes though.

So, for me, 16:9 (or wider) is the way things should be made now, and they are, but taking old 4:3 stuff and zoom-cropping it isn't the way to go.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1113 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »
I guess I must have done something right with my Trek apprentice. Even kicking off TNG with Encounter At Farpoint's slow story and wooden acting she instantly liked Q and we ended up watching 10 episodes from my TNG list pretty much back to back, ending with Yesterday's Enterprise and looking forward to the next batch. It's quite interesting for myself as well seeing the series condensed to major events and important pieces of background story. The only downside with this approach is that there are so many drama episodes when the lighter and funnier ones tend to be omitted. At least we had Deja Q for some good laughs. Next up Sins Of The Father, Sarek, The Best Of Both Worlds, so she's in for quite a ride. Can't wait to continue.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1114 on: April 28, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
Q was an interesting an somewhat bizarre character from the very beginning.  They toned him down quite a bit, made him more "human" as the series went on, and for a while I just found him annoying.  Some of the later Q stories were interesting, some were pretty lame ("Civil War").  I remember catching a rerun of "Encounter at Farpoint" one time and being struck by how weird Q was.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: April 28, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »
I loved what they did with Q between Farpoint & All Good Things - but then they threw it all away on DS9 & Voyager.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »

Just mocked up a teaser poster for Star Trek 3.

My idea is it should be called " Where No One Has Gone Before ".

• It ties in with Trek's 50th anniversary.
• It lines up with the start of the 5 year mission.
• It's kind of Star Trek's catchphrase
• It's better than trying to come up with " Star Trek....[something]. "
• I want the crew to end up in some weird area of space where physics makes no sense and everything is wrong.
• Basically I want a movie like the TNG episode " Where Silence Has Lease " :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1117 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
• I want the crew to end up in some weird area of space where physics makes no sense and everything is wrong.
• Basically I want a movie like the TNG episode " Where Silence Has Lease " :)
Fans of both the old and new ST would both love that, as would the critics. The masses would hate it and it'd end the franchise after losing a hundred million, therefore the studio would never, ever allow them to do it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: April 29, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
A hint to the next movie was revealed to be " A huge moral dilemma ".

Someone online ( maybe here ) said they should find a way to restore the original timeline at the point of divergence - therefore erasing the last 30 years of their history. Thereby saving both Romulus and Vulcan and getting Spock Prime back to where he belongs. Plus it would end the third film back in the original timeline - leaving the three JJ movies as their own - alt universe franchise - and someone else can take over...

Sounds cool but I dunno if they would just wind up saying "none of this ever happened" - although that would be pretty funny / clever from a writing perspective.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaj8wejtaijrmmu/WNOHGB%202.png

I quite like this poster. Didn't take long and I copied the credits from STID but I like it.

Nice and simple.