Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 254226 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
Here's a discussion :

Which "Trek" series would you most like to be in for real ?

I choose TNG as the Enterprise D was the most advanced ship at the time and outside of any skirmishes and battles etc - was a luxurious flying hotel.

The quarters are massive compared to my apartment and you can replicate any food you want. You'd have it so easy.

Voyager looks small and claustrophobic by comparison.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »
DS9 because there are Ferengi to mop up the holosuites when you're done.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
Enterprise. NX 01

I love how primitive they are compared to the other series. True explorers. Like Luis and Clarke.

DS9 because there are Ferengi to mop up the holosuites when you're done.

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
I vote for TNG as well.  The Holodeck version of "Rock Band" would consist of actually jamming with famous musicians from any time in history, on actual instruments.  When that gets boring, there's the "Backstage at the Miss Universe Pageant, Safety Protocols Off" program for some amusement.  The only time I'd leave the Holodeck would be to eat and sleep.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
:lol its true that if people only used the holodeck for carnal reasons - there would just be "fluids" everywhere....

Even though the holodeck cleans itself.

Imagine programming an orgy or something and then you say " End Program " and you're just left with the physical remnants :P

" Err...holodeck clean....deep...deep clean....maximum setting."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »
DS9, in a heartbeat. TNG is too squeaky clean, I would develop fake Tourette's just so I could yell "Fuck! Shit!" down the hallways.
DS9 had the right amount of seediness to be interesting, but still tons of future amenities.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
If there was one character on TNG that didn't need to be there - it was Troi.

She did next to nothing except sense stuff or get mind raped :lol

She almost never went on away missions and they barely ever showed her counselling anyone.

Even in the films she was just sort of there in the background.

Nothing against Marina in any way but it's like they didn't really know what to do with her week after week.

If Troi was in her quarters - and she looked in the mirror - shit was about to happen.  :rollin

She barely even had any character arc either.

I totally agree. I also thought it was really annoying that later in the series, she was promoted to Commander, and thus outranked both Data and LaForge. Most of the scenes where her and Riker are being romantic were pretty bad, IMO. I also never really found her all that attractive, despite the fact she was intended to be the series' "eye candy". I mean, she's pretty and all, but she just doesn't do anything for me.

Her mother was even more obnoxious, though. One of the worst episodes I can recall is "Menage a Troi". Riker and Troi go down onto Betazed for a romantic getaway, Lwaxana is there for some reason, and then they get kidnapped by the Ferengi. Ugh.

In another episode, towards Picard has to basically beg Lwaxana for her help and tell her how much he misses her and all that jazz. Gotta admit that that part is pretty funny.

It's kind of odd, although I love The Next Generation, but it has a lot of characters I don't care for too much. The Troi's, Chief O'Brien and his useless wife, Alexander (ugh), and K'Ehleyr. I suppose the ones that I really like (Picard, Data, LaForge) balance things out.

Also, it might be blasphemy to say, but I've never been a big fan of Riker or Worf. Riker acts like a dick for seemingly no reason sometimes, and Worf is just a little too one dimensional. Code and honor, yeah, we get it. However, I do enjoy most episodes where Worf interacts with other Klingon's (not K'Ehleyr or Alexander). Redemption ftw.

Something I've noticed about Riker that's kind of funny, he has a tendency to walk with his head leading the way, so when he's turning a corner, his head is the first thing that comes around.  :lol

Btw, I just read on Wiki that Roddenberry originally planned to give Troi four breasts (:omg:), but Majel told him it was a bad idea. Ya think?  :lol

Oh, and I'd prefer to live on DS9.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
I love Riker. Or moreover - I love Frakes' acting.

I also love Burton's acting - he just seems so natural - like LaForge is someone you could be friends with.

Brent is probably 4th. McFadden is totally believable as a doctor and Worf usually provides most of the comedy.

I don't hate Wheaton as much as some people but he's a bit extraneous at times.

- - - - - - -

One thing that TNG does really well is make you *HATE* alien races. :lol

Like - The Ferengi will offer something only so they can get what they want in return and when picard sees through the charade - they got offended and say how dare you !!! :lol

Or any time someone is in Federation space unlawfully and they hail the Enterprise first and demand to know what they want.

:P So irritating - but so good. They know how to write really annoying aliens :lol

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
One thing that TNG does really well is make you *HATE* alien races. :lol

Like - The Ferengi will offer something only so they can get what they want in return and when picard sees through the charade - they got offended and say how dare you !!! :lol

Or any time someone is in Federation space unlawfully and they hail the Enterprise first and demand to know what they want.

:P So irritating - but so good. They know how to write really annoying aliens :lol

That's especially so with the Ferengi, Klingons, Romulans. I always found the Cardassians to be a reasonable race, despite the past hostility between the Federations and the Cardassians. The Klingons loved to hassle the Federation folks for being what they saw as soft, but they actually were helpful at times. The Ferengi were annoying for the reasons that you mentioned, and the Romulans came across as purely evil.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »
Brent is probably 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePPJxRXhT8

Watch Spiner's career die in that video clip.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2013, 11:38:02 PM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
DS9, in a heartbeat. TNG is too squeaky clean, I would develop fake Tourette's just so I could yell "Fuck! Shit!" down the hallways.
DS9 had the right amount of seediness to be interesting, but still tons of future amenities.

:lol But you have to pay for the holosuites. I'd go with TNG. They can be as squeaky clean as they want, as long as what happens in the holodeck stays in the holodeck.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
Brent is probably 4th.

I laughed harder than I should've at that.

As for where I'd like to be, I'd say DS9 for all the same reasons Rumby mentioned.  As for deep cleaning, I'm sure the holodeck can just use the transporter technology to get everything inside the room, and just dump it into space.  Of course, that would get the galactic environmentalists after the Federation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2013, 06:11:28 AM »
Brent is probably 4th.

I laughed harder than I should've at that.

As for where I'd like to be, I'd say DS9 for all the same reasons Rumby mentioned.  As for deep cleaning, I'm sure the holodeck can just use the transporter technology to get everything inside the room, and just dump it into space.  Of course, that would get the galactic environmentalists after the Federation.

Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »
I have to go with Rumby and and jingle on living in Deep Space 9. It'd be pretty neat, exploring a whole space station.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »

Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

So tempted to sig this.  Yup... had to do it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »
:lol I should be proud that the crowning achievement of my day is getting the term "space-smile" into someone's sig.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
I'm surprised Voyager never did an episode where someone has a holo-baby.

It couldn't be any more preposterous than some of their other stories.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »
I'm surprised Voyager never did an episode where someone has a holo-baby.

It couldn't be any more preposterous than some of their other stories.

Every one of the series had some equally preposterous stories. The closest I can think of is actually a pretty good episode where The Doc has a holo-family.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »
:lolpalm:

Oh, Voyager. . .

Did Rick Berman just go " fuck it " and just OK every script that came along ?!

Star Trek really took a nosedive in quality after DS9.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2013, 06:35:38 AM »
Have you even seen the episode? It's actually quite good (and as some fun trivia, has the voice actor for the mother from American Dad playing the Doctor's wife).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »
I don't think so - just in general - Star Trek really ditched the quality control after DS9.

All these people saying JJ "killed" Star Trek - when he bought to an even bigger audience than before.

It was Rick Berman & co that nearly killed it off for good.

I don't want to start another " it's just another summer blockbuster" argument but Into Darkness made more in it's opening weekend than Nemesis

made in it's entire run.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »
Making money =/= quality. All of the Transformers movies made double the money Into Darkness made, so that's a worthless argument (since I know that Transformers is top of your list of the million things you love to criticize). They're all just big dumb action blockbusters.

JJ didn't kill Star Trek, he just made it popular by making it not really Star Trek. I'll take Voyager over JJ's empty Big Mac of a movie franchise any day. Enterprise was the series that wore out the franchise and killed it off, and they didn't even really want to make that, the networks wanted that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:54:59 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »
I don't want to start another " it's just another summer blockbuster" argument...
^ Mainly because i've been a Trekker for almost 30 years and I loved both of them and i'm not alone in that. i know plenty of hard core Trekkers who also thought JJ's films were fantastic and that 2009 is as good as if not better than TWOK. I don't think it's better but it's up there...

it's what happens to Star Trek *after* JJ, Kurtzman And Orci that worries me.

Whether Paramount will just hand it to anybody or will they leave it for a long time until the right person comes along...

I don't want them to hand it to just anyone who really *will* just turn it into a

Zippy camera / slow motion walking away from explosions / sunglass indoors wearing / firing two phasers at once / close up shaky cam...

That is what I DO NOT want. :puke:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Anyway - it's obvious that we're never gonna reach an agreement on this :lol

Lets just end it. I love the last two films and really don't put them in the "just another boom bang summer blockbuster" category.

" The line must be drawn here. This Far. No Further . "

[ I love when Captain Picard gets passionate and starts shouting. Patrick's such a good actor . . ]

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
I'm hoping that after the current movies, they go back to a television series, that has nothing to do with the current movie crew.
Trek never worked anywhere near as well in movies as in shows, so I at least rank Trek 2009 pretty highly too despite my constant complaints about it (I wouldn't rank Into Darkness as highly, although it's still easily better than TMP, TFF and Nemesis for me).

I read that JJ wanted to create a new series and was shot down, and I'm glad. JJ's approach works well enough for movies, and if it helps revive the franchise on television, then it's all good. But I'm not a fan of JJ's idea of science fiction, and I hope he becomes more permanently involved with Star Wars, because I think he's perfect for that (and I don't mean that in any backhanded way either. I think his approach to Trek will make for great Star Wars movies).

I hope it doesn't take too long for them to bring Trek back to TV, because there's so little good scifi around these days (and I don't like Hollywood scifi at all). I also hope they have enough faith in it to create a new series, and not just reboot TNG or continue a rebooted TOS with a cheap cast or something like that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
Karl Urban has gone on record that he wants the next film to be "original" and to be an exploration movie with no villain.

I hope Orci & Kurtzman take this into account too. They were even considering that idea for the 2nd movie but Damon Lindelof apparently insisted on

bringing Khan into it [ Damon is reportedly not working on Trek 3 so maybe now they can finally do it ]*

Karl is by far the biggest Trekkie in the new cast so he knows his stuff.

I'm not sure where I rank Into Darkness at present. But 2009 is *easily* in my top 3.

But like you said - it's better than Motion Picture, Final Frontier & Nemesis by a mile.

* Bob Orci said that he resisted bringing Khan into the new movie and wanted him to just be "John Harrison". It would have made a much more satisfying movie. Just have him as a geneically enhanced super baddie - no need to make him Khan.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »
I just find it silly that they rebooted the franchise, giving themselves a 100% clean slate, and then they go and borrow plots and scenes straight from old Trek. The movie was not at all a remake of Space Seed of TWOK, but it still wasn't particularly fresh or original either.

The last two movies were successful enough that they should be able to try something a bit less wall to wall action and still get people to watch it, and do something without the typical villian. I remember reading about that too, where they said it wouldn't be a typical bad guy. One of my favourite Trek movies is The Voyage Home, and the "villian" of the movie is a giant space cylinder trying to find a whale! :lol TMP didn't have a traditional villian either, although bringing that up would not help my point....... :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »
That's why TMP and TVH stand out.

I would LOVE for a  JJ movie like TMP. A massive space epic into the unknown with messed up physics etc etc..

And they have to figure out how to escape from this entity / anomaly. . .

They can't seriously do the revenge film AGAIN

12. Khan
11.Nero
10.Shinzon
9.Ru'afo
8. Picard Vs Borg [ to some extent ]

They really NEED to do the space exploration movie - and the fact that they mentioned deep space exploration TWICE in "Into Darkness" gives me some hope of that.

If they have to do another action film - at least make it an all out war between Qu'onos and Earth. A really dark war film with space battles :) mmmm

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2013, 08:24:41 AM »
Mark your calendar Kotowboy, because I pretty much agree with that entire post.

I'd like to see a more classic and paced out Trek movie along the lines of TMP, but of course done well. I don't hate TMP, but it was one heck of a dull and boring movie imo, and I'd rank it as one of the worst. But the underlying idea is sound. And the empty revenge story is a worn out cliche at this point. Nemesis, 2009, Into Darkness, it's just stale. I don't even mind if they take a TOS episode and turn it into a movie, but choose one of the trippy ones with some funky space amoeba or something.

They ended the movie by starting the 5 year mission, so some generic vendetta against the captain or the Federation should theoretically be ruled out, I hope. I want to see the ship and the crew alone in the unexplored vastness of space, dealing with the unknown.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
I didn't actually know Abrams wanted to do a series and was shot down. I don't actually care enough about this film series to follow them that closely (I don't dislike them really, but they're mindless action films. Not much to write home about). I actually would have preferred a series though, because I think he would have taken a vastly different approach and put a lot more effort into plot, characterisation and emotional depth for a series - the two things that the films desperately need more of IMO. And again IMO, three things that were really good about the last Abrams television series, Fringe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »
I just think there's a lot more going on thematically and plot wise in the last two films that your usual gung-ho action film.

I really like how they didn't end (2009) with the crew exactly how they were at the start of TOS. They ended the sequel that way.

I thought it was quite neat that 2009 didn't end up with Spock & Kirk being best buds and Kirk the legendary captain we all know.

Most origin stories end with that "aha" moment of everything you know coming together.

We didn't get that until the very end of the 2nd movie., which I thought was cool. :)

* I know 1701 was modded at the end of Into Darkness - but I really want a new Enterprise at some point. Maybe somthing that's *between*

Constitution I & II designs as a nod to both ships.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
I'm suprised Q was never in any of the TNG movies. I imagine that could've been interesting

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
I'm suprised Q was never in any of the TNG movies. I imagine that could've been interesting
It could have been cool - but with Q - you can pretty much do anything but always have a deus ex machina to get you out of it - which would be a danger

of  any Q story.

What they could have done is have Q take them to the Theta quadrant or something and then lose his powers because of something there Q didn't know about - and then the rest of the film could be about trying to get back without Q's help and he has to learn to function as a member of the crew .

Why aren't I writing a Star Trek movie ? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
And both new movies were full of plot holes, showed a poor understanding of how the laws of physics and space work, and discarded character moments for big action scenes, many of which were there for the sake of an ADD Hollywood audience.

I'll grant you, they were marginally more involved than the average action movie, but that's really not saying a lot when you look at the standard of Hollywood these days. I've rewatched Trek '09 several times, and I'll rewatch Into Darkness once I eventually buy it, but compared to the best Trek has offered in the past, it's hollow entertainment to me.
They're not bad movies, but they could also have been so much more given what they had to work with.

Why aren't I writing a Star Trek movie ? :lol

I'm not even touching that one. :biggrin: