Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256363 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Just seen the episode where the Enterprise is getting a Baryon sweep and Data practices small talk with that Starfleet officer.

The scene where he is mocking the Starfleet officer by practicing small talk on Crusher and Riker sounds like an ad lib because Frakes' laughing sounds completely genuine.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
From anything I've heard, impersonations are Spiner's strong suit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
From anything I've heard, impersonations are Spiner's strong suit.

if you watch that scene - it sounds like Frakes is actually laughing at Brent and not Riker laughing at Data if that makes sense.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »
Didn't really see that, but if you watch the scene immediately after, when PS tries to exit through a wall rather than a sliding door, you can see him start to crack up as he leaves shot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
Haha ! I'll have to check it out.

I love how they all get on in real life. It would be heart breaking if you found out they all hated each other.

Edit : watched that scene again and I stand by what I said and you see Patrick smile as he walks off screen but I wouldn't say cracking up :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:18:38 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
Watching the TNG episode right now where all the kids, and Wesley, are kidnapped by that infertile race.
What a shoddy plot. While the premise itself is not too bad (a race stealing children for procreation), the act of including Wesley, who at that point must be 16 or something, makes no sense. On top of that they give him the most sweeping permissions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
 :rollin

Just watched " The Chase. "

The scene where the Klingon captain challenges Data to what is ostensibly an arm wrestle and Data beats him instantly and immediately goes back to his work with that nonchalant look on his face.

So funny.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
Oooh, I love that scene. He immediately returns to typing on his pad.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
I liked when he got all pissy because Data was so materoffact about the bribe offer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
I liked when he got all pissy because Data was so materoffact about the bribe offer.

The biggest laughs on the show always come from Brent. His acting is just so perfect as Data. I can't think of anyone else who has portrayed an android so perfectly and convincingly.

Special mentions to Lance Henriksen as Bishop & Michael Fassbender as David.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
Darmok and Jelad At Tanagra !  :angry: :angry:!!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
Great episode overall. The premise is a bit sketchy though (how much information can you seriously transmit if even a simple concept requires a long-winded simile?).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »
I got my hands on the entire DS9 series a couple of months ago and finished watching the series recently. For any of you that might have some reservations about checking the series out, I highly recommend it. At times it's on par with TNG and at it's worst is still superior to Voyager. Sisko is a little bit over the top at times and it takes some getting used to, but I was thoroughly entertained with the series and will probably watch it all the way through again in the not too distant future.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »
Great episode overall. The premise is a bit sketchy though (how much information can you seriously transmit if even a simple concept requires a long-winded simile?).

I *knew* that the alien captain was familiar. had to look him up on line to find out he was Captain Terell (?) from The Wrath Of Khan.

Once you knew that - it was unmistakable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »
I got my hands on the entire DS9 series a couple of months ago and finished watching the series recently. For any of you that might have some reservations about checking the series out, I highly recommend it. At times it's on par with TNG and at it's worst is still superior to Voyager. Sisko is a little bit over the top at times and it takes some getting used to, but I was thoroughly entertained with the series and will probably watch it all the way through again in the not too distant future.

I plan to once I am done with TNG. :)

I put on Voyager every once in a while but unless it's a great episode - I just can't be bothered. None of the bridge crew have anything on their TNG counterparts.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:26 AM »

I plan to once I am done with TNG. :)

I put on Voyager every once in a while but unless it's a great episode - I just can't be bothered. None of the bridge crew have anything on their TNG counterparts.

Oh I'd take Tuvok whichever equivalent. And I'd definitely take the doc over his counterpart (I know he's not bridge crew though). Not sure if 7 of 9 has an exact counterpart, but throw her in for good measure too!
I also prefer Voyager's counterpart for Troi. And yes, I'm aware Voyager didn't have a ship councilor. :neverusethis:

So Kotowboy, going by that post, have you seen DS9 before?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2013, 06:34:08 AM »
I have. I used to watch it every week back when it was on BBC2. But once it started being a series arc and not individual episodes - i kinda gave up on it.

My friend and I in school used to talk about DS9 every week after it was on and always do impressions of Odo's annoyed grunt :lol

" Hmph ! "

From memory - Best DS9 episode I can remember is the one where that Cardassian janitor pretended to be an officer so he could get killed to make up for the atrocities against Bajor - great episode.

Worst episode from memory - Move Along Home. It's even worse than that Voyager episode with Michael McKean as a court jester.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2013, 06:36:41 AM »
Additional - If I was called

" Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi "

I would change it to Alexander Siddig too :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2013, 06:39:04 AM »
I didn't mind Move Along Home, although it seems most people dislike it. It wasn't one of the better episodes by any means, but I felt all of DS9 was pretty solid. The worst episode for me was the S7 episode where they play baseball instead of caring about the entire Federation being conquered. (I'm sorry for spoiling the cruddiest episode of DS9 in advance :P )

DS9 is well worth the commitment, and it just gets better and better (except for portions of S7). The Dominion arc episodes of S6 and S7 are some of Trek's best.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
I did like it in the beginning. I could never tell whether Avery Brooks was a good actor or not.

He over acted way more than Shatner ever did.

Although he may have improved - his acting in the pilot was pretty awful. I wonder how he got the part ?

Maybe he felt the same as Pat Stewart did in the first season of TNG - he thought it would fail and you can tell he wasn't really into it - and improved once the show was a success...?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »
His acting in the pilot when he's in the dream with his dead wife was a bit off the wall, but overall I think that's about how he was overall in the series.
I actually like the theatric over-acting for the captains. It was a bit hammy from Kirk considering the crap he was spouting, but it's also what makes these characters larger than life and memorable. The under-actors bother me more. I'M LOOKING AT YOU CHAKOTAY.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
Chakotay was relaxed and groovy but I wouldn't say he was a poor *actor* - as in he sounded plain bad...

He's probably just a chill guy in reality :P

Garrett Wang was probably worse. Of course none of them are in the same class as Patrick Stewart & Jonathan Frakes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2013, 07:25:11 AM »
Mr Kim was terrible too, but Chakotay wasn't great, especially when he tried to be forceful and get off his ass for once. He was more passable in the day to day stuff though.

The Doc was the major saving grace of the cast, and save it he did. :heart And Janeway was great too. Haters gonna hate. :hatersgonnahate:

But who can compare to Sir Patrick Stewart? The man is a god. A chrome domed god.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2013, 07:33:02 AM »
Janeway was pretty decent.

Plus you have to remember that shooting on episodes could take up to 18 hours a day.

By the end of it - they may have been a level of " let's just get this line then we can go. "

But yeah - from watching TNG a lot recently - i'd say that Frakes was almost as good as Stewart. He's really under rated as Riker.

Worf and Data were both awesome too provided they didn't stray too far from their character. Dorn and Spiner both had

perfect comic sensibilities & any humorous scene which involved either Worf or Data was usually hysterical.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
Riker was great. I always liked him. Data was perfect too.
I'm very mixed on Worf though. I thought he was a bit wooden, but it mostly worked for the character. And he certainly had his funny moments.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »
I was shocked when I heard Michael Dorns' real voice. It was almost nothing like Worf.

Obviously - Dorn was projecting a big deep baritone for Worf but his real voice is really different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIyam3Ivz9E

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
Yeah, that's always jarring. It's not just the depth, but also the more formal and deliberate vocal pattern of his acting vs natural speech. That's the standard approach for "aliens". They just speak more formally. :lol

It's the same with Christopher Judge (Teal'c) from Stargate. It sounds completely wrong to me to hear his normal voice, because his in-character voice was so deep and commanding.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
Plus Worf doesn't sound as American. He *almost* sounds as if he's putting on a sliiiight English accent.

Maybe to make Worf''s accent un-placeable ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
They definitely ease up on the American accent and make it a bit softer and neutral. It's a conscious thing. As silly as it is, that slight difference in accent helps it seem slightly less obvious that everybody is speaking the same language. You can't have an alien with a regional southern twang or something (although I'm sure there are some hilarious exceptions).

Assuming they're only speaking English via the universal translator, in theory it should have a broad and generic accent, right?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
I'm assuming that Worf can speak English seeing as he went thru Starfleet.

I always wonder how the Universal Translator works. Does everyone hear what the alien next to them is saying through their comm badges ? :P

p.s. yes I know it's just a quick and easy fix for saying " this is how all aliens can speak English " :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
The universal translator is one of those contrivances I find is just best not to question, and to just accept for what it is. They even see the person speaking English. I'm not buying any explanation for that. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »
Well at least they have an in-universe tech reason for it and don't just dismiss it like other inferior shows would.

besides - Worf *must* be speaking English for those times when he says a Klingon word to describe a situation and it isn't translated :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »
Well at least they have an in-universe tech reason for it and don't just dismiss it like other inferior shows would.

If that's a dig at Stargate, imma hunt you down and force you to watch it on repeat! (another example where I just have to accept the contrivance for the sake of fitting any sort of story into 45 minutes)

besides - Worf *must* be speaking English for those times when he says a Klingon word to describe a situation and it isn't translated :lol

There are plenty of similar situations that just don't work. And we know for a fact that the Ferengi of the show can't speak a lick of English from Little Green Men (which is a pretty neat episode too).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »
I really hated Riker at first. In retrospect, he's the only one of that entire cast with a shred of humanity in him. The rest are all superficial avatars of people.

Michael Dorn was a pretty bad actor. He's perfectly fine as Worf, because he invented the character. Anytime he was somebody else he was terrible. Almost all of the DS9 cast had that problem. That's why the mirror universe episodes all sucked. You could tell they were having a good time playing different versions of themselves, but they mostly sucked at it, honestly.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
I really hated Riker at first.

Admit it; it was the lack of beard, wasn't it?