Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 254677 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
I actually liked the Geordi/Data thing. Bashir/O'Brien picked it up later, but TNG was the first to portray the most basic relationship of them all; friendship. All the other relationships always had some angle to them, most of them sexual. Whereas realistically, most human interactions rely on friendship, not sexual interest.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
When DS9 first started, I checked it out.  It felt like a weak spin-off from TNG, which it was, and TNG was also still on the air, so I gave up on it.  My understanding is that DS9 eventually found its feet and is now regarded quite highly, and I hope to someday get around to watching it all.

This to a "T"  I watched a few episodes here and there over the years, but never followed it the way I did TNG.  jingle.son is of the age now where I think I'm gonna try to make it a habit with him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
I actually liked the Geordi/Data thing. Bashir/O'Brien picked it up later, but TNG was the first to portray the most basic relationship of them all; friendship. All the other relationships always had some angle to them, most of them sexual. Whereas realistically, most human interactions rely on friendship, not sexual interest.
I disagree. The Kirk/Spock/McCoy thing was based on friendship more than anything else. Particularly by the time the movies came around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
Not to me, honestly. Whatever happened between Kirk/Spock/McCoy was interesting, but I don't know what friendships work that way. Geordi/Data was the "live and let live" that defines friendships.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #249 on: August 17, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »
Nobody here is likely to say that Voyager was as good as DS9 (except maybe Blob). That said, the first 9 episodes of Voy were better than DS9's.

Nah, as a whole, DS9 was clearly the best Trek series imo, but I still prefer Voyager for individual episodes. I think being serialized is a double edged sword in that regard. It makes for a better and more cohesive series, but I also find it's not as interesting when you take an episode out of that context. DS9 had very few really bad episodes though. I'd say only a handful at most.
That said, it still has plenty of amazing individual episodes too, I just find that I generally prefer Voyager for that purpose. Slightly better highers to me, but much more frequent lows.

The first season of Voyager was enjoyable, but extremely formulaic. I thought DS9 started off strong even from the start though.

Not to me, honestly. Whatever happened between Kirk/Spock/McCoy was interesting, but I don't know what friendships work that way. Geordi/Data was the "live and let live" that defines friendships.

I never fully accepted the Kirk/Spock/McCoy thing. There was Kirk/Spock, there was Kirk/McCoy, but I never really believed there was a strong friendship between Spock/McCoy. McCoy was too much of a genuine dick to him constantly. I always got the impression that if Spock wasn't in such control of his human emotions, he would have just decked him. The '60s had a lot to learn about acceptance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
When DS9 first started, I checked it out.  It felt like a weak spin-off from TNG, which it was, and TNG was also still on the air, so I gave up on it.  My understanding is that DS9 eventually found its feet and is now regarded quite highly, and I hope to someday get around to watching it all.

When Voyager started, it was the only Star Trek, and it was new.  It was exciting, with the promise of new adventures in the fare quadrant and all that.  I somehow watched all seven seasons of Voyager in original broadcast, even though sometimes it seemed like I was disappointed at least as often as I was impressed.
I was the exact same way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »
SO - Bill Shatner replied to me on twitter last night...

But then hundreds of people just replied to it and as I was included in the mentions - My mentions page was inundated with people trying to get a reply

from the Shat.   :mehlin Kinda annoying. But cool that Bill tweeted me. Third time I've got a reply from him :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Man, Gates McFadden's makeup is always so heavy handed.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »
She's always confused me.  Sometimes I think she's kinda hot, but then I think it's probably just the makeup.  I try to imagine what she'd look like without all the makeup, and cannot.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Remember the Crusher/Troi yoga session??

*sigh*

I'll be in my bunk...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PetFish

« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »
The Original Series - I never got into it.
The Next Generation - I was all over it.
Deep Space 9 - I was so-so for it.
Voyager - I really enjoyed it after Seven came on board.
Enterprise - I never got into it.

They just started Voyager again from the start on Space (Canada) and they just showed The 37's... pretty much the DUMBEST first 8 minutes in TV history.  The entire episode, while having an interesting premise, blew it on every level.

But back to the dumbness.

While flying around they encounter an old truck floating in space so they beam it aboard and begin to try and figure out what it is.  Without quoting lines of *cough* dialog, here are the lowlights of poor history edumacation in the future:

- They basically act like a bunch of aliens making first contact with some unknown object

- They don't know what gasoline is/was (except Paris)

- They don't know what an internal combustion engine is/was (except Paris)

- Paris, who knows the make/model/year/everything about the truck seems bewildered when looking for the keys (not that he can't find them, but that he has to think hard about what "keys" actually are)

- Janeway has no clue what make/model are, sure there's no Apple or Microsoft in the future (right?), but with history and basic intelligence people can figure it out

- Paris knows what an AM modulator is (AM radio) but when it plays the ... - - - ... Torres has to run it through something to figure out it's an ancient Earth distress signal called an "S.O.S."

- Janeway, not having a clue what "make/model" means, somehow goes Dick Tracy and deduces by the mud and the alfalfa seeds and the accurate smell-identifying of horse manure, not cow or chicken, but horse manure, that this is a farmer's vehicle

- Harry ACTUALLY THINKS this is an early hover-car

- When Paris starts it it backfires and they all HIT THE DECK cuz, you know, they have no idea what an internal combustion engine is

- There's a lot more dumbness but this is enough... and it's just the first 8 minutes.

So in the future, in history class, it seems they completely skip over the entire industrial revolution and even go so far as to try and wipe it from our minds.  Everyone knows about horse-drawn carriages but then there's nothing until warp drive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:18 AM »
Considering it's 300 or so years in the future, and they're so far removed from our time and technology, some of those seem right to me. And some of them are stupid. Even if they had learned about cars, are they really going to know well what an old engine sounds like, or that it can backfire and make a bang noise? Very unlikely. I'll give them a pass there.

Harry Kim is still a dipshit for not recognizing a wheel though. Unless they had BTTF2 style hovercars that still drove, which would count as an early hovercar. Let's just assume he's a dipshit though. And make/model should be pretty universal, even in a time when there's less focus on companies and profits.

And they should definitely know what an internal combustion engine is, and what "gasoline" is. It's already been in use for over 100 years in almost every vehicle ever made. I'd say that warrants a mention in any cursory history lesson. :lol Especially focusing on technology, and propulsion.

Morse code has been officially not a thing for a while now, although I'd expect SOS to remain part of the culture anyway, given how simple it is to implement in any situation. I could go either way on that one.

But yeah, that is a really stupid episode. The show gets so much better once it hits S3 and especially S4. So I'm not defending that episode.

I do really hate when they randomly happen upon something from the alpha quadrant (like Klingons), or even worse, Earth. What are the odds? 1 in a bazillion trillion. And I disliked Tom Paris's apparent interest in Earth's past. It was a really contrived way to shoehorn familiar crap in there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
:lolpalm: Voyager.

I have to see this episode now...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2013, 05:28:56 AM »
- When Paris starts it it backfires and they all HIT THE DECK cuz, you know, they have no idea what an internal combustion engine is

No knowledge of combustion engine but they know what a gunshot is?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:32 AM »
Totally gonna watch this later. ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2013, 06:58:56 AM »

They didn't say anything at all about gunshots. They heard loud repeated noises, and it caught them off guard and they ducked and looked around. That's all that happens. If anything, not recognizing a sound like it makes it more of a scare.

Totally gonna watch this later. ;D

Just to criticize some more?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »
NO THATS YOUR JOB.  :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
Meanwhile

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
Back to the episode...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »
Is that Tackleberry ? :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

Actually, that was a pretty funny joke. Everybody hit the dirt except Tuvok who went straight into phaser mode.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Tuvok was actually pretty cool.  I remember when Voyager first hit the air, it was right when we were supposed to stop using the word "black" and instead say "African-American", which would have made Tuvok an "African-American Vulcan" which makes no sense at all.  He was a black Vulcan.  Some people just needed to deal with that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
I was under the impression that "black" was perfectly fine and "coloured" was the one to avoid.

..Apart from the obvious, sadly still used words...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
Also - I watched " The '37s ".

Whilst I do agree with what everyone said about it - it was by no means the worst Star Trek episode i've seen.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
I was under the impression that "black" was perfectly fine and "coloured" was the one to avoid.

..Apart from the obvious, sadly still used words...

In the 80's, in my little sector of the world (U.S. Midwest), you were definitely not supposed to say "black".  It was "African-American".  But even black people thought the whole thing was stupid and "black" was okay again.  It only lasted a few years or so, but it was a movement.

I always think of Lou Reed's song "Walk on the Wild Side" where the colored girls sing "Do, do do, do do, do, do do, do, do do, do do, do, do do, do".  That was 1972, probably the last time "colored" was used.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »

So how big is Voyager ? Not very big according to this ! :p

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
https://www.startrek.com/database_article/voyager

An Intrepid-class vessel capable of holding 200 crew members, the U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 is one of the fastest and most powerful starships in Starfleet.
Although only 345 meters long, about half the size of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D, Voyager is more technologically advanced than previous Starfleet vessels. Superbly equipped for exploration and research, Voyager has an equally impressive array of defensive and offensive weapons, making it ready for action.
The U.S.S. Voyager is the second of only four Intrepid-class starships built by Starfleet to date, launched in 2371 on stardate 48038.5.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
It looks tiny in that pic though. Like there's only a few metres between Janeway and the ship.

I know it's tv but they could have made it look like it was a spaceship.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Yeah, they certainly should have added some kind of forced perspective for scale. Presumably the ship is a very, very long ways away, but there's no way to discern that.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Shoulda put some random person under the saucer section or something for reference
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
Well assuming the white squares on the hull are windows - people should ba just a bit smaller than that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I'm a bit picky about things looking the right size.

That's why I loved when Vengeance crashed - the saucer was next to all those buildings and it looked f---ing gigantic.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
Shoulda put some random person under the saucer section or something for reference
You probably wouldn't be able to see a person from the range that the ship needs to be.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
OK, here's an interesting discussion: What Star Trek characters have sung on the show, both TV and movies?
Data (Insurrection)
Picard (Insurrection, the TNG episode where he gets replaced with a copy)
Worf (Insurrection, and Melota!!)
Spock several times, and along with Bones and Kirk (row row row...)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »
Pretty sure Riker has but I don't remember when

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"