Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256563 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
I saw this cat on Instagram and it's doing the Commander Riker eye squint. :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2013, 07:53:06 AM »
Except Voyager didn't really have interesting characters to balance that out except for maybe Tuvok, the Doctor, Seven and (depending upon the day of the week) Janeway. Torres was alright too, I guess, but Chakotay, Kim and Paris were incredibly boring and wasted potential. When you think about it, that's about the same amount of boring to not boring that TNG had.
Which is still more than the interesting characters TNG had. Piccard and Data are the only two really good ones, and the only one that actually has real human personality is Riker. Worf didn't become worth a shit until DS9, really, and he was always a bit of a pussy for a Klingon. Geordi, both Crushers and the TNG O'Brien were all worthless and Troi might be the worst ST character ever. Paris was decent, although I agree with Rumbo about the silly Tores thing (although that's not even in the same universe as Worf/Troi). Kim actually demonstrated some real character development over the series.

Add to that, there's something to be said for an overriding purpose. Voyager always had one distinct goal. TNG was whatever inane situation the writers felt like spewing out. Usually related to Roddenberry's silly notion, arrogantly spouted by Piccard about mankind's need for fulfillment and betterment. Q should have left Enterpirse in the Delta Quadrant with the Borg during the second season to let that big ship of families struggle back home. Might have made them more human and less pious by the end of it (the handful of them that survived, at least).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
Bart, I'm not saying this to be a dick, really.  It's because I really am curious, and the answer isn't obvious to me.

You always spell the name of Patrick Stewart's character as "Piccard".  You do realize that it's "Picard", right?

Your attention to detail regarding all things Star Trek is impeccable, so it seems to me that it must be intentional.  I just can't figure out why.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
 :omg:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
Truth be told, I'm one of the worst spellers on the board. I rely heavily on spellcheck, and until Bosk adds the good captain to the dictionary, I take my best guess. It always makes me pause, actually, but since my way just looks more, correct, I go with it.  :lol

edit: you might also have noticed that I frequently mix up forms of their and there. Obviously I know the difference, but I type faster than I think and if something isn't underlined in red I tend to let it fly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
Fair enough.  I thought maybe it was intentional to denegrate his character or something, but that didn't seem to be the case.  The standard American English spelling rules (for which there are countless exceptions) say that it should be a double "c" so it's totally understandable.  I guess I've never noticed your other misspellings.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
So...

At the recent Star Trek convention in Las Vegas - They voted Khan best Star Trek film and Into Darkness worst.

You'd have to be some kind of idiot to think that Into Darkness was the worst Trek film so far with Search For Spock and Final Frontier in the canon.

An idiot. Or a nerd. A stupid fat nerd. basically the sort of person that goes to a Star Trek convention dressed as a Klingon.

:biggrin:

Search for Spock, Insurrection or Final Frontier are far worse films. Both on an entertainment and technical level.

- Whatever you think about Into Darkness - there's just no way that it's the worst Trek film so far.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:41:49 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
Do I sense some bitterness? :biggrin:

I like Search For Spock, aside from not being able to take Doc Klingon seriously. Final Frontier was terrible, but I enjoyed it for the camp value far more than I enjoyed Into Darkness as a serious film.

I think I'd get along well with this crowd. :hat I really don't see an issue with considering Into Darkness the worst Trek film. On some levels I very much agree, even though I think there are other worse Trek movies.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
I just don't think Into Darkness is the worst Trek film on *any* level.

I simply cannot sit through Insurrection because it just feels like a 2 hour TV episode.

Almost nothing happens until right at the end and it drags quite a lot.

- Something I noticed recently - out of the TOS & TNG movies - both era's have had 2 films directed by their respective First Officers.

Nimoy - Search For Spock & Voyage Home

Frakes - First Contact & Insurrection.

Stewart was wise not to direct a Trek film historically :lol

[ STID isn't even out to buy yet - give it a couple of years and see how well / badly it stands up ]....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:48:25 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
Into Darkness has a stupid plot with a ton of holes. It has no concept of the most basic understanding of physics that I'd expect from any self respecting scifi movie/show. They rebooted the most iconic Trek villian of all time and turned him into a personality-less generic enemy as uninspired as Nemesis and Star Trek 2009, and was only Khan by name. They lifted scenes from old Trek.
There are plenty of levels where Into Darkness could be considered one of the worst Trek films. I think it deserves the backlash for the incredibly poor and insulting decision to re-use "Khan" alone.

And my gosh, I don't know what's worse. When you quadruple post, or when you just keep editing the same post and piling more and more in. Just pick a thought, and stick to it! You're like me at age 4 when I was drinking far too much red cordial. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
You're taking a bunch of Star Trek fans and asking them to pick between a bad Trek film and a Trek themed Summer-blockbuster. Of course they're going to vote the way they did. Ask them to compare it to The Transformers or something and you'll get the vote you wish for, but the reboots have so little in common with the originals that it's not really valid to try and compare them on even terms. As others have said, they're really Trek in names only.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2013, 01:07:54 PM »
Started DS9 now.

Watching it chronologically instead of dipping in and out like with TNG ( seen em all so often ).

On Episode 3 now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
DS9 has started well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:44:10 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
Started DS9 now.

Watching it chronologically instead of dipping in and out like with TNG ( seen em all so often ).

On Episode 3 now.

DS9 becomes more and more serialized as it goes on, so you kind of have to watch it in order starting around season 3 or so.

Regarding that movie poll, I'd say Nemesis and the Final Frontier are worse than Into Darkness.  Into Darkness had me incredibly angry in the theater though.  The Red Letter Media reviews of it are pretty spot-on in examining all the places it went wrong.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
Just watched Elementary Dear Data. Great episode, but damn is Geordi's cold annoying. :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
Started DS9 now.

On Episode 3 now.

As skydivingninja also said, DS9 really has to be watched in order anyway. I actually don't find it that enjoyable to pick and choose individual episodes from DS9 anyway, but there is a huge payoff for watching it all in order. :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »
SO the Duras sisters were in DS9 episode 3 - obviously before the events of Generations a year later :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »
They sure got around, didn't they?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
Just picked up The Best of Both Worlds on Blu-Ray.  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
I seriously want to see TNG in remastered Blu Ray but I don't own a Blu Ray player and it would cost a shit load to get the entire series on Blu Ray.

:( Maybe one day in the future if I ever start making some actual money.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
The Duras Sisters were terrible characters. Including them in Generations was perhaps the biggest blunder of a fairly average film.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
The Duras Sisters were terrible characters. Including them in Generations was perhaps the biggest blunder of a fairly average film.

But you got the satisfaction of Riker blowing them away.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »

Oh that's a big call there. Including the original cast was definitely the biggest blunder to me. They ended on such a good note with TUC, then they kill off Kirk in a lame and pointless death.
The Duras sisters served very little purpose, but I could tolerate them if the rest of the movie was excellent.
I still enjoy the movie though. There were some good character moments in there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
I still prefer Generations to First Contact. Blasphemy I know.

I can also tolerate Nemesis a lot more than Insurrection.

:lolpalm:

The guy with the Dude avatar from the Big Lebowski is gonna kill me. .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
There was a discussion here a while ago about whether a starship can have an "aft nacelle". . as Khan put it . .

I wanted to post then but didn't. Was gonna say that twice in that film you can hear people mention the aft nacelle.

When Scotty gets into the Vengeance hangar - you hear someone say something about the aft nacelle.

I wonder if Orci, Kurtman or Lindelof put them in the script as an in-joke.

Seems a bit odd referring to an aft nacelle twice in the film and about two seperate ships... Maybe they mean the impulse drive ? 

Haha - in Episode 3 - Quark wasn't allowed to look at a display of DS9 on his computer and in episode 4 Tosk could ask the computer exactly where all of DS9's weapons were stored from his quarters.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:44:50 PM by Kotowboy »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Nacelle isn't specific to any one type of engine. It's simply a covering for engine parts. The casing of a wind turbine is a nacelle. I imagine in Khan's case he was referring to the impulse nacelle. I would agree that you couldn't have an after warp engine, but that's a whole different thing.

And if I recall, Quark had access codes for every bit of the station, anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
And if I recall, Quark had access codes for every bit of the station, anyway.

He "acquired" access codes that gave him a higher clearance than Odo. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
I see what you mean about Q going back to being insufferable on DS9.

On TNG - you got the impression he was only being annoying to show The Enterprise crew something about themselves as humans to help them grow.

But on DS9 he's just Encounter at Farpoint Q all over again.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
Started DS9 now.

On Episode 3 now.

As skydivingninja also said, DS9 really has to be watched in order anyway. I actually don't find it that enjoyable to pick and choose individual episodes from DS9 anyway, but there is a huge payoff for watching it all in order. :tup

I think it's that time of year where I rewatch all of ds9

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »
Sounds like a good enough reason to me. :hat

I just saw this linked from the Star Trek FB page.
https://www.startrek.com/article/breaking-bad-gets-its-trek-on

I've never watched Breaking Bad, but I'll ignore the countless mistakes in the dialogue for the sake of a funny animation.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
9 Episodes into DS9 and it's already pissing over Voyager.

I don't think Voyager ever had this many decent episodes in a row :P

I really like all the characters and the stories so far.

7 seasons is a lot to get through though !

I'm watching one or two episodes a night at the minute to avoid getting tired of it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Nobody here is likely to say that Voyager was as good as DS9 (except maybe Blob). That said, the first 9 episodes of Voy were better than DS9's.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
When DS9 first started, I checked it out.  It felt like a weak spin-off from TNG, which it was, and TNG was also still on the air, so I gave up on it.  My understanding is that DS9 eventually found its feet and is now regarded quite highly, and I hope to someday get around to watching it all.

When Voyager started, it was the only Star Trek, and it was new.  It was exciting, with the promise of new adventures in the fare quadrant and all that.  I somehow watched all seven seasons of Voyager in original broadcast, even though sometimes it seemed like I was disappointed at least as often as I was impressed.

Voyager's first nine were better than DS9's first nine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
" Move Along Home " is better than I remember....

I just prefer the characters on DS9. Quark and Odo are like a hilarious bickering old couple.

Auberjonois and Shimerman are fantastic actors.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
Some of the characters are better and some aren't. Sounds like Star Trek.

One thing I will give credit to is that DS9 was cognizant of bringing up character relationships. Aside from the Picard/Data thing, there really wasn't much bonding going on that was worth a damn. Nobody gives a damn about Geordi and Data; hell, nobody gives a damn about Geordi at all. I've said all along that you could have blasted almost any of those characters, and that includes Picard, out of an airlock and the show would have gone right on along with nary a hiccup. With DS9 you had the Cisko/Old Man dichotomy. You had Odo and Quark. Bashir/Obrien. Worf actually stood out for being the loaner, which made him a better character.

The problem with DS9 was all related to when it was trying to be just more ST. It's not good as base sci-fi. It had to break completely the hell out of the ST mold to really hit it's stride, and then it just bolted.
E.F. Benson