Author Topic: One Last Time appreciation thread  (Read 1857 times)

Offline BlastParadigm

One Last Time appreciation thread
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
Why was this not created already?

I find this song to be an amazing and quite needed passage between TDOE and TSCO, toning things down quite gradually.
My favorite part has to be from the "Coincidence I can't believe. As my childhood dreams slowly come true" part until the end. There's something about that part, I dunno.

Appreciate it, I guess.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: One Last Time appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »
I love Jordan's piano playing in the intro, the chorus (or whatever the "one last tiiiiiimeeee" part is called) gives me chills and the ending is awesome. Definitely one of the best songs on SFAM and massively underrated!

Offline JPX

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
Awesome track, beautiful melodies.

:metal

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
One Last Time is one of my favorite songs of my favorite DT album. It works perfectly as a transition from TDOE to TSCO, but it is not just a transition, the melodies are beautiful, James performance is outstanding and i love Jordan's work all over the song, specially the intro and that "Coincidence i can't believe" part is one of the SFAM highlights for me. Even if it works best in the context of the whole album, i love to hear it also standalone (strange although it seems).

Offline BlastParadigm

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
Even if it works best in the context of the whole album, i love to hear it also standalone (strange although it seems).
I also love to hear it standalone.
It works great both in context of the album and standalone, in my opinion.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
My favorite song on SFAM for sure.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
This song is extremely underrated and is one of my favorites from SFAM

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
I love it but wish it was longer.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
I see what you mean about wishing it was longer, seeing as it's so awesome, but I really have no problem with the length.

Beautiful piano intro (and outro!). MP and JP don't seem to get too much credit for good back-up vocals, but I think they do a really good job on this album, and this song. "Faaaaade awaaaayyyyy".

Nice and tasty guitar solo, doesn't seem to get much praise, JM lays down a really sick bassline under the solo as well.

My favorite part has to be "An open door, I walk on through...". That part never fails to give me goosebumps.

Awesome song, probably my second favorite on SFAM, behind Beyond This Life.

*appreciates*
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
Great song. I love how it parallels the ending of Metropolis Part 1. The Strange Deja Vu reprise is great too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »
Listening for the first time now.

It is beautiful.  The  drumming (interesting, kinda "not tight" - don't know how to express)...I love it.  The bass line   :hefdaddy

I know this is no-brainer for all you guys, but for newbie me -- Jordan's playing always blows me away.  I trained as a classical pianist and he is breathtaking.

Gorgeous tune!!!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
Awesome track, beautiful melodies.

:metal

Definitely a top 10 song for me, and a top 3 ballad.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?