Author Topic: please give me some female artist recommendations  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: please give me some female artist recommendations
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »
A more serious suggestion: Kate Havnevik.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
inb4 Scorp: The Dresden Dolls. They are piano rock/dark cabaret duo with Amanda Palmer on vocals and piano and Brian Viglione on drums.

And of course, my all-time favourite vocalist, Agnete Kjolsrud. She has sang on Animal Alpha, which is maybe more rock oriented, but has influences from various genres and is now vocalist in Djerv, a hard rock/black metal-group.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 05:45:51 AM »
I second Portishead and The Gathering. I also recommend the first Antimatter album Saviour: there are some male vocals in a couple of songs, but the rest of the vocals are completely handled by two female singers.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 07:56:07 AM »
I like The Dresden Dolls, but I am finding Amanda's solo albums to be much more my taste.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
Right now, i can't get enough of WITHIN TEMPTATION.  I love their later stuff.  Their last album, "The Unforgiving", is outstanding in my book.  Good symphonic rock.

But if you like Kate Bush, you should check out Happy Rhodes.  She can sound a lot like Kate, but has a HUGE range, like 8 octaves.  She covers Kate on occasion (plenty of clips on YouTube).
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Rhea's Obsession, if you want something a little different and trippy. They only made two albums, but I absolutely love them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANtGn9lPUgw
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
Joni Mitchell (my favorite is Hejira, excellent jazzy folk)

I listened to Hejira. I really like the jazzy folk sound you mentioned. My only complaint would be that it sounds a bit samey after a while, particularly her singing style. I didn't listen to the lyrics too carefully, but from what I caught she sounds very much like a storyteller, definitely a plus for me. I'll add her to my list of artists to come back to for a more in depth look.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:56 AM »
2 of my favs
Evanescence(Amy Lee)
Halestorm(Lizzie Hale)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Susanne Sundfør (her music is kind of electronic w/ orchestral parts - check out The Brothel, it's excellent but hard to describe)

Just listened to The Silocone Veil, because The Brothel is not on Spotify. YES YES YES YES! Definitely my favorite so far, of the suggestions of sampled. As you said, hard to describe; a consequence of its unique sound. It's full of great ideas, musically, and the execution is stellar. I'm definitely going to be listening to this again  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
Susanne Sundfør (her music is kind of electronic w/ orchestral parts - check out The Brothel, it's excellent but hard to describe)

Just listened to The Silocone Veil, because The Brothel is not on Spotify. YES YES YES YES! Definitely my favorite so far, of the suggestions of sampled. As you said, hard to describe; a consequence of its unique sound. It's full of great ideas, musically, and the execution is stellar. I'm definitely going to be listening to this again  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Glad you liked her! She's seriously underrated (at least here in America). Wait till you hear The Brothel; it's a phenomenal.

Check out this song that she did with M83:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhHZaJAfFsI

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »

That's fantastic! I'm incredibly attracted her voice, and now her body too   :heart

Kate Bush (Hounds of Love is great)

I also just gave her a listen. Spotify let me down, once again, not having Hounds of Love. So I went for her most recent album, 50 Words For Snow. I'm not sure how it compares to her older stuff, but I found it quite pleasant. Very piano heavy, which I appreciate as an aspiring pianist. I'll still check out Hounds of Love, when I get the chance.

Sarah Fimm now!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

That's fantastic! I'm incredibly attracted her voice, and now her body too   :heart

Kate Bush (Hounds of Love is great)
I also just gave her a listen. Spotify let me down, once again, not having Hounds of Love. So I went for her most recent album, 50 Words For Snow. I'm not sure how it compares to her older stuff, but I found it quite pleasant. Very piano heavy, which I appreciate as an aspiring pianist. I'll still check out Hounds of Love, when I get the chance.

Sarah Fimm now!
Hounds of Love is the only album of hers that I have, but I've read mixed reviews for 50 Words for Snow.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Sarah Fimm (I only have Nexus, but its a great, mellow poppish singer-songwriter)

This one really tickled my fancy. It's a captivating, dream-like listening experience. It has a great flow to it, with consistent (but not redundant) delivery. Two thumbs up!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
Delain (April Rain and We Are The Others)
Neverstar
Trillium
Harvest (Mentioned above)
Missy Higgins
Amanda Somerville

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
iamthemorning (one of my favorites...piano led "chamber" rock; debut is name-your-price download: https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/)

Another spot on recommendation! Touching II is superb, by far my favorite of the album. With that being said, they're all good songs. The intermissions do a great job of setting the tone and bridging the rest of the pieces.  :tup
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:25:41 PM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
Damn you Ruba I was going to suggest Dresden Dolls - and damn you Ville for Portishead.

Well, that's basically what I can recommend, though I'd also throw in a mention for Grayceon, female-voxed cello-driven post-metal. I can also only second Jimmy's suggestion of Susanne Sundfor, her album The Brothel is pretty much perfect.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
iamthemorning (one of my favorites...piano led "chamber" rock; debut is name-your-price download: https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/)

Another spot on recommendation! Touching II is superb, by far my favorite of the album. With that being said, their good songs. The intermissions do a great job of setting the tone and bridging the rest of the pieces.  :tup
I love the whole thing but Burn is my favorite track. Their new album is my most anticipated release of 2013 (ahead of DT12!). Glad you liked them!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Can I chime in on The Gathering?

What an incredible and underrated band.  I really need to get more of their stuff.   I have Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet?, If_Then_Else and the live album Superheat.   There's not a single thing I don't love, and I have no idea why I don't own more.

Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are more metal, simple straightforward. 

How to Measure a Planet is by far the most experimental of the bunch, and easily my favorite.   Please find "Probably Built in the Fifties"...my favorite song from the album.   But the album is full of mellow, experimental Pink Floyd-esque type material as well.   If you want to hear that side, check out "Frail (You Might As Well Be Me)". 

If Then Else is really cool as well.  I think the sound shifted to a bit more of a blend between the experimental "Planet" and the more straightforward earlier albums.

(and I almost forgot...they do have two earlier albums with male lead singers.  I own one of them, but it doesn't even sound like the same band.  Doom metal with cookie monster vocals....stay away from them.   I don't mind those type of vox...but even for that genre, they are not good albums.  For me, the band did not really begin until they got Anneke (their first female lead singer))
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »

What an incredible and underrated band.  I really need to get more of their stuff.   I have Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet?, If_Then_Else and the live album Superheat.   There's not a single thing I don't love, and I have no idea why I don't own more.

Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are more metal, simple straightforward. 

How to Measure a Planet is by far the most experimental of the bunch, and easily my favorite.   Please find "Probably Built in the Fifties"...my favorite song from the album.   But the album is full of mellow, experimental Pink Floyd-esque type material as well.   If you want to hear that side, check out "Frail (You Might As Well Be Me)". 

If Then Else is really cool as well.  I think the sound shifted to a bit more of a blend between the experimental "Planet" and the more straightforward earlier albums.

(and I almost forgot...they do have two earlier albums with male lead singers.  I own one of them, but it doesn't even sound like the same band.  Doom metal with cookie monster vocals....stay away from them.   I don't mind those type of vox...but even for that genre, they are not good albums.  For me, the band did not really begin until they got Anneke (their first female lead singer))
You need to check out Souvenirs ASAP!! You Learn About It and Broken Glass are two of my favorite Gathering songs. Also, Home is a great album even though it's a bit more poppy.

Here's a stream of Souvenirs, if you're interested.
https://thegathering.bandcamp.com/album/souvenirs
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:14:56 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:43 AM »
and damn you Ville for Portishead.
Adace was first, I was just seconding his recommendation :D

*snip*

I like the debut, but then again I've only heard it, Mandylion, Nighttime Birds and The West Pole. Of course death/doom isn't for everyone...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:04 AM »
+1 for Amanda Palmer, Cat Power and Heart.

+Lots for Kate Bush - The second "Sky of Honey" disc of Aerial is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Would add Touchstone - they're metal with a bit of emo/goth and a bit of prog thrown in.

A lot of the female artists I listen to tend to be from the folk/country side of things. Check out Tift Merritt, she has the most amazing voice, is an incredible songwriter and a fantastic performer who plays a mean piano. Go see her live if you get the chance, coz her studio albums just don't do her justice. She's also one of the loveliest people you could ever meet. Also check out Eve Selis, who is also phenomonally talented and equally nice. She has two great guitarists in her band (Mark "Twang" Intavaria and Cactus Jim Soldi) who rival anyone else you've heard. In a fairer world both of these ladies would be huge stars and household names.

Also recommend Alison Krauss, Holly Williams, Shelby Lynne and Elizabeth Cook.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
All of the afore mentioned and I will add all about eve I always likey their dreamy gothic pop:-)
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:32 PM »

Just got turned on to these guys through another avenue.   

WOW! 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Blood Red Shoes
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »
I only follow one major female-fronted band and that's Halestorm and I think they're probably a safe bet for me to listen to.  Lzzy is a great vocalist and talented musician, as well.  Even if their lyrics have a lot of innuendos and you have to try your best to not interpret their songs as a sexy song to fully appreciate the song and the meaning.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:17 AM »
Tori Amos.

Probably the only female solo artist that I enjoy.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »
A few:

Joanna Newson
PJ Jarvey
Bjork
Joni Mitchell
Patti Smith
Tori Amos
Janelle Monae

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »
Oops shit yeah I forgot about PJ Harvey .  :blush :metal

Stories From The City is a brilliant album.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 01:19:09 AM »
One of the most consistent female artists ever  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jsem

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 03:37:25 AM »
I'm thirding Hiromi Uehara.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:30 AM »
Well here's the Gentleman's Punk/Rock Female picks you might be interested in checking out (because reasons)
Joan Jett
Bikini Kill
Brat Mobile
Le Tigre
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »
I'm gonna say it and I'm not even ashamed.

Vixen.

Saw them at M3 last year and they're still hot and they still sound amazing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
I'm thirding Hiromi Uehara.

Oh man she rules. Wu Man is pretty interesting stuff too, specifically Pipa From A Distance. It's not really got any vocals, but has noises like you've never heard before.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

Just got turned on to these guys through another avenue.   

WOW!
Even though they've only released one album, they're one of my favorite new bands. Make sure you check out their new album which is coming out later this year! Gavin Harrison is playing drums on it. Hopefully their fan base will grow after this album is out as they really do deserve to be much more well-known.

Recently, I got the Ane Brun's It All Starts With One. I've only listened to it once, while falling asleep, but it was a really nice, mellow album.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:47:09 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline jsem

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
Iamthemorning is brilliant stuff.