Author Topic: What we do for animals, eh?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline adameastment

What we do for animals, eh?
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:15 AM »
So, my dog is an idiot. He went out with a friend yesterday and stayed with her whilst we were out.

He comes back this morning, after I missed him (he usually sleeps with me in bed). But I get up come downstairs, and he goes up. My mum has a wooden floor on her bedroom (which we hear a tick tick tick when he walks on), then a thud. And a squeal.

He'd jumped about 15ft down out of the window, had to go to the vet (which cost me £160) and no broken bones and hopefully no lasting damage. So, he has got away very, VERY lightly. My mum owes me lots of money (I have paid for Iron Maiden, train tickets, hotel etc all on my card - will have to get a monthly payment set up lol :P) but my doggy is fine which is the main thing.

Here he is doped up on morphine:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: What we do for animals, eh?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »
I'm glad your pooch is OK.  I've got two of them myself and they're like my children.  And yeah, within reason I'd pretty much do anything for them.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:38:38 AM »
I'm glad your pooch is OK.  I've got two of them myself and they're like my children.  And yeah, within reason I'd pretty much do anything for them.

My only concern was getting him to the vet, I would do anything for my dog because he's almost one of my best friends :P dunno what I'd do without him to be honest. But I'm really glad that it's looking only to be muscle damage on his front paw, otherwise we would have been looking at vet bills in the thousands.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
You have a most adorable labrador. Glad it is well.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
Glad to hear the guy is ok man. They're always so cute when they're drugged up  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
Glad to hear the guy is ok man. They're always so cute when they're drugged up  :lol

If you only had a Nicole for all the times you've heard that!?!?

True... Animals are part of ones family. We'd do the same for them as we would our own children.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Glad to hear the pup is okay, that's scary when they do shit like that. A friend of mine was telling me her dog jumped out her car window as they were going about 30 MPH and ended up fine but that she pretty much though he was roadkill. Which I thought was pretty dumb of her to do...I mean, yeah, let 'em stick their head out the window...but never put the window all the way down, they're not smart enough to resist the urge to jump out and 'fly'.

As for the topic title. Yeah. I'd pretty much destroy the Earth and everything in between if it meant saving my precious pup. Now I'm not sure why destroying the Earth would save him but...hey, maybe he is like, the cure for cancer, but they need to harvest all his blood; then I'm all, fuck you fuckers, you can all die, this pup is mine. And then I kill everything and sleep with my puppy on a floating star.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
You have a most adorable labrador. Glad it is well.
He isn't actually a Lab (although I would love one!) he's only a little Patterdale Terrier but he is an adorable dog :D

But yeah, I'm so glad he's good. We have to make a vets appointment tomorrow or get him to the 24hour vet if things get worse, not looking forward to taking him tomorrow because of any potential bad news... I wish he could talk though 'cause then we'd know exactly what happened whether he wanted to jump out or whether he just wanted to watch out the window and overshot it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Glad to hear the pup is okay, that's scary when they do shit like that. A friend of mine was telling me her dog jumped out her car window as they were going about 30 MPH and ended up fine but that she pretty much though he was roadkill. Which I thought was pretty dumb of her to do...I mean, yeah, let 'em stick their head out the window...but never put the window all the way down, they're not smart enough to resist the urge to jump out and 'fly'.

As for the topic title. Yeah. I'd pretty much destroy the Earth and everything in between if it meant saving my precious pup. Now I'm not sure why destroying the Earth would save him but...hey, maybe he is like, the cure for cancer, but they need to harvest all his blood; then I'm all, fuck you fuckers, you can all die, this pup is mine. And then I kill everything and sleep with my puppy on a floating star.
[Off-topic spoiler]

You just now described the ending of The Last Of Us. I hear you though, I also had gladly demolished the earth for my pup.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
Re: OP... guess he was one of the puppies on acid

:lhk:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
Yeah... the things we do for animals   :\

Glad your dog is alright.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »
Glad he is okay. I have 1 cat and 2 dogs and they all have me wrapped around their paws.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »

From your emoticon, I suspect we may have similar attitudes on this.   ;)  I love animals and have had every sort of pet.  But they ain't people.  They are here for me, not the other way round.

That said, I , too, am very glad adameastment's dog is okay.  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »

From your emoticon, I suspect we may have similar attitudes on this.   ;)  I love animals and have had every sort of pet.  But they ain't people.  They are here for me, not the other way round.

That said, I , too, am very glad adameastment's dog is okay.  :)

Maybe my emoticon wasn't the best for describing my attitude, as it is actually quite different  ;D

It was more of an expression of sarcasm, as I see 'the things we do for animals' to be very different from the sentiment expressed by the OP. I find it funny how much people will do for their pets, while also consuming other animals for pleasure. It vexes me when I see people getting really defensive over battered house pets, while also consuming, and in turn supporting, factory farmed animals. Not that I support hurting domesticated dogs, I just have trouble understanding the different standards we have for the treatment of different animals. Of course, most dog's dont have a whole lot of meat on them anyways, so maybe a better example would be horses (which I believe cannot be raised for food legally in several states).

Just food for thought from a vegetarian, is all. /endminirant

Offline sueño

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
Ah.  Animals is tasty,  tho. 

Confirmef meatatarian, here.    :azn:

Which is why they ain't people.    :xbones
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
Ah.  Animals is tasty,  tho. 
So I've heard. But most people I know wouldn't eat their dogs, even if they were tasty. Seems like a missed opportunity  :laugh:

Offline adameastment

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 06:43:15 AM »
I agree it's a strange thing to do to care so much for a dog or a cat and yet eat battery farmed chickens or whatever, but that's just the way things have turned in the modern era.

But back to the topic, just got back from the vets and she wants to do an xray tomorrow and make sure there isn't anything broken there, she suspects he might have had a dislocated shoulder that I might have inadvertently put back into place when I picked him up yesterday. He's got some pain killers now so he's going to feel a bit better. It's just a concern than he isn't weightbearing too much yet on his paw. So, we shall see, if he needs a cast he'll be in it for around 6 weeks.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
I paid over 3k when my dog Stella was diagnosed with cancer.  Had part of her bottom jaw removed to get all the cancer out.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
My brother-in-law spent $5000 on surgery for his German Shepard.  It was a really, really nice dog.  But it was also 11 years old and had major problems with its hips.  Dysplasia. 

After surgery there was very little improvement and the dog was quite obviously still in a lot of pain, so my brother-in-law decided to put her down.  That was a rough week for him.  He felt terrible.  Not because of the money but because he couldn't save his dog and in the end he just ended up putting her through more pain and suffering than she needed to be put through.

That's why my wife and I both agree that if/when our dogs come down with any major illness in their 11+ years, we'll probably just put them down. 

Offline adameastment

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
My brother-in-law spent $5000 on surgery for his German Shepard.  It was a really, really nice dog.  But it was also 11 years old and had major problems with its hips.  Dysplasia. 

After surgery there was very little improvement and the dog was quite obviously still in a lot of pain, so my brother-in-law decided to put her down.  That was a rough week for him.  He felt terrible.  Not because of the money but because he couldn't save his dog and in the end he just ended up putting her through more pain and suffering than she needed to be put through.

That's why my wife and I both agree that if/when our dogs come down with any major illness in their 11+ years, we'll probably just put them down.

German Shepherds are difficult dogs to actually get it right, medically-wise. Ozzy (my doggy) grew up with a German Shepherd we had owned since she was about 3 years old. The only problem was she also developed difficulties with her hips as she got to about 12 years old, we decided it was better she got put down than putting her through surgery because she didn't have any control of her back end (which included all her "faculties") it's not nice to put a dog through that, the same for a person really.

But I'm paying for most of this for my mother really, due to the fact she's not got a lot of spare cash and she can pay me back over the next 6 months or so, I'd rather be in an overdraft/have to pay off a credit card than see my mum not be able to afford to eat.

Offline sueño

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
Such a good son!   :heart :tup