Author Topic: The Chicago Discography  (Read 62069 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Chicago Discography
« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
So it's not just me.  Thank you both.  I was afraid that people actually liked these guys.  I mean, I'm sure a lot of people do, but wow, I'm honestly not sure why.

Yeah, Jason's fine on his own songs.  He just can't bring himself to sing someone else's melodies.  Same with Bill.

Bobby and Jimmy (funny how they still call each other that) both have said how much Keith Howland reminds them of Terry.  Me too.  I thought he was fine when I saw him, though I admit that I had no idea who he was and "fine" in this context basically means that he didn't annoy me the way Bill and Jason did.  I seem to think that Bobby Lamm sang Terry's part during "Dialogue" though, not Bill.  I remember noting that there was at least one song besides "Colour My World" that Terry originally sang, which Bobby now sings.  I know they did "Wake Up Sunshine" which I've always liked, and of course "Saturday in the Park", but those are Lamm songs anyway.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »
right there with you guys.  Can't stand Jason singing Peter's stuff.  His live vocals have always kind of annoyed me anyway.

Howland is awesome as far as I'm concerned.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline sueńo

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #352 on: November 13, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
The cover is gorgeous...

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
Wow, that is.  It's looks very "Autumnal" though, which is kinda wacky since the release date is Christmas.  Actually, a Christmas release date is kinda wacky, too.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #354 on: November 17, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
Sometime past while lurking I had previously read through this thread in the early stages of its creation and was intrigued by Orbert’s very well written and entertaining reviews.  Mention of shifting time signatures in the early albums instantly whetted my appetite to hear this band with fresh ears.  It also made perfect sense to me that whatever 80s soft rock perceptions that many will have of Chicago (personally I have unhappy memories of endless dentist chair sits and long suffering carpool rides to-and-from school), that conventional wisdom would have it that Chicago, like Genesis, were once a “serious” band (back in the days of yore when such things were important). And naturally, as all such things were done in Rock & Roll History, along with every other band that ever existed, Chicago would inevitably walk the same cheese-drenched path that was the fate of any respectable 70s band still intending to pay the bills in the 80s. Chicago’s weapon of choice in those tough times would be the power ballad. Fair enough. Some people love that style of music and Chicago certainly must have done it well (and with gloriously blaring horns to boot!).  I can only imagine how that period of Chicago must have been the soundtrack for numerous first slow dances and teenage romantic crushes.  I can see how that would make that music special and irreplaceable to many people. More power to you!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
So.....backward in time so many weeks ago....

I was at the local Barnes and Nobles record section looking through the “D”s for Dream Theater’s new album, and I saw just a glance away, in the “C”s that they had both Rhino releases of Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago. So I grabbed the new Dream Theater and, with Orbert’s write-ups still fresh in mind, also decided to grab CTA (as it was only around $8 which is cheap in Barnes And Noble’s terms considering how typically overly-inflated most of their prices are) thinking “What great luck!” finding the 1st album without even really trying within a week of becoming curious.  I wasn’t immediately won over by what I heard, but I was instantly impressed by the quality on all fronts of this eclectic blend of styles, reminiscent in its diversity to the other prog bands that I had listened to religiously during my teens (you know the usual...Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, etc.). This music was somehow strangely familiar and yet at the same time brand new to my years.  It made me recall yet another time in the past....at some point I think I was 12, and huge into the Beatles, when my cousin had tried to impress upon me the importance some of the early recordings of this band (it may have even been the same album!), but I didn’t really get it at the time; probably because I didn’t really understand or appreciate jazz then and had also yet to become taken by 70s progressive bands.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
With CTA I wasn’t really sure if I liked this band yet, but I certainly enjoyed it enough that the next time I was back in at that same Barnes and Noble’s about week or so later, I had to check the “C”s in the music section  and much to my delight...Chicago was still there! I think Chicago [II] “won me over”. Needless to say, I had to move on to III (I ordered the Friday Records release with the extra 2 tracks). I’m not sure if I like this one as much as II, but it still has many magical moments along with other things that just grab my ear and refuse to let go. I’m still digesting it, but all the same I’m realizing at this point that I really dig this band’s music. And I probably will just keep going in order (as I always do these things) moving on to Carnegie Hall...and since Kath seems my favorite writer so far (IMO writes the most uniquely put together = thereby inherently proggy songs) it stands to reason that I’ll probably end up checking out all the stuff either up to XI (or whenever Cetera starts to get so annoying that it makes it too distracting to enjoy the rest of the music anymore).

Offline Lupton

Re: Chicago (1970)
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
(Perhaps he'd recently caught Led Zeppelin's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" or Procol Harum's "Simple Sister" -- both of which have very similar riffs -- on the radio.)

Once, when I was driving through Ohio a decade or two ago I heard, "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", "25 or 6 to 4", and another song with the same basic riff (not the Procol Harum one, a Jeff Healey song maybe?) all in a row.
Let’s throw George Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” into the pile while we’re at it.

You know...for a guy who really doesn’t care what time it is he seems awfully hung up on his clock reading either 3:35 or 3:34 AM in the morning. This Lamm fellow seems to have a thing with numbers in general:
Questions 67 and 68
Poem 58
Someday (August 29, 1968)
25 or 6 to 4
It Better End Soon (1st Movement, 2nd Movement, 3rd Movement, 4th Movement)
Flight 602
... just from the first three albums

Offline Lupton

« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
Because obviously it would be too easy to mistake a rock and roll band for a bus company and accidentally buy a record album when you meant to purchase a ticket to Wheeling.

:lol

Thanks for this thread and all the write-ups Orbert!  Some fine work here. I will be returning to your reviews to compare them with my own findings as my journey continues forward. For now I want to give the first three albums more time to settle and then...on to Carnagie Hall!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
Hi Lupton, and welcome aboard!  Thanks for the kind words.

In some ways, Terry was my favorite writer, for the same reasons you mentioned.  His approach was different.  He was one of the only members of the band without any formal musical education, which in this case was a plus.  He had no predefined ideas about how music "should" be written, and thus was free to just put chords and melodies together that break boundaries.  Lamm and Pankow were more prolific, and also wrote some great stuff, but it was great in how they bent conventions and broke open the standard forms.  Terry just wrote what he felt.

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" is not a statement that Robert doesn't care about time.  It's that he doesn't understand everybody else's obsession with it.  When people ask him what time it is, he asks if anybody really knows what time it is.  It's philosophical, rhetorical, not interrogative.

I caught "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the radio recently, and noticed that descending riff in the ending.  Yet another song that uses it.  But it's a pretty common riff.

So anyway, it's great to have another Chicago fan on board, but I actually came back here to post a bit more about the new single.  It was just a happy coincidence that Lupton had posted his comments.

Click either of these to biggify them:

Chicago had said something recently about finally embracing technology.  There's a YouTube video made this past summer of the horn section recording in a hotel room while on tour.  Looking at the credits here, it seems they're running with it.  Drum parts recorded live, brass recorded somewhere and sometime else, bass recorded here, percussion recorded there.  Sounds like a true Frankenstein of a production.  Reminds me of the stuff Frank Zappa used to do.

But what has me concerned is that for the first time as far as I know, James Pankow is not involved.  Walt has taken some time off from the band in recent years, and he's not here on sax.  But James has always been the trombonist and arranged the horns.  He does neither here.

With Terry gone and Peter alive but with no intention of returning to Chicago, at least we had Robert Lamm and the original horn section all these years.  Two very key parts of their original sound.  Looks like we're down to just two original members now, including just one horn player, at least on this single.  Ouch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #360 on: November 17, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
I did here a link to some rough demos Orbert and they seemed to embrace and old style of music.

Well the link is dead but they talk about it here.

https://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/04/04/hear-demos-of-two-new-chicago-songs-somethin-comin-i-know-and-watching-all-the-colors/

And welcome Lupton!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lupton

« Reply #361 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
Thanks for the nice welcome Orbert and kingshmegland!  :)

I’ve really enjoyed reading everybody’s comments in this thread. (and where-ever else I’ve lurked and read on this board for that matter)

Offline Lupton

« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2013, 04:41:44 PM »
In some ways, Terry was my favorite writer, for the same reasons you mentioned.  His approach was different.  He was one of the only members of the band without any formal musical education, which in this case was a plus.  He had no predefined ideas about how music "should" be written, and thus was free to just put chords and melodies together that break boundaries.  Lamm and Pankow were more prolific, and also wrote some great stuff, but it was great in how they bent conventions and broke open the standard forms.  Terry just wrote what he felt.
That makes a lot of sense.  I'm still reeling from the curve ball he threw on III as compared to II.  We get mostly soulful nitty-gritty rock-n-roll stuff like “I Don’t Want Your Money” and “Off to Work” and then he pulls out that short section “Dreamin’ Home”.  Good God! Those chords!   :hefdaddy

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" is not a statement that Robert doesn't care about time.  It's that he doesn't understand everybody else's obsession with it.  When people ask him what time it is, he asks if anybody really knows what time it is.  It's philosophical, rhetorical, not interrogative.
Oh sure that makes sense too. It was not my intent to criticize Lamm.  He has very recently become sort of a newly found musical hero to me (as the rest of the band [including Cetera] are now too). I just find it funny that in one song he’s disparaging the concept of time, and then in another the chorus is a statement of time. He’s having to answer the question he doesn’t want to answer (even if the lady happens to be pretty  ;))

I’m just riffing. Finding stuff that’s funny to me in things that are [meant to be/are really] deep or profound. It's only for a laugh.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
That's cool.  It's all good.  I love talking about Chicago.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #364 on: November 17, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
I'm glad to see this thread back up, as I've been in a massive Chicago kick the past week or two and I'm forgetting how much I'd loved this band 3 or 4 years ago when i first got into them.

It's funny though recently I've finally been getting around to albums I'd ignored for so long (Chicago X, Twenty 1, VIII, 13, XIV, and somehow I'd never heard 17 until recently) and even the weaker ones (21, and XIV have songs that I just love).

I'll always hold CTA through XI up as their best works for the most part but I can't really find much in their catalog I don't at least enjoy some of (never listened to the Christmas albums though, and don't really intend to)

All this talk of a new album has gotten me hopeful for something that's at least good, because I enjoyed some of XXX even though parts of it felt very stale.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »
(Perhaps he'd recently caught Led Zeppelin's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" or Procol Harum's "Simple Sister" -- both of which have very similar riffs -- on the radio.)

Once, when I was driving through Ohio a decade or two ago I heard, "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", "25 or 6 to 4", and another song with the same basic riff (not the Procol Harum one, a Jeff Healey song maybe?) all in a row.
Let’s throw George Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” into the pile while we’re at it.

That was the 3rd song!  Specifically, Jeff Healey's cover version.

Offline sueńo

« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2013, 02:21:44 AM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »
Ha ha, that was great!  I grew up with Tom Jones and his weekly TV show.  I probably saw that performance when it first aired.

Gotta love how everything on TV was lip-synched back then, and they made no effort to hide it.  No wireless mikes, hell, no microphones of any kind anywhere.  But whatever.  He obviously had recorded the song at some point, the horns cooked, and they even had a guitar solo.  ♫♫

Offline sueńo

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
Yeah, I've seen a little bit about that.  I'll check it out, of course.  It looks like it could be really good.

Offline sueńo

« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
They are also gonna be playing Carnival cruises this year!

https://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/22/3886282/carnival-cruise-lines-announces.html

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
"Now" Chicago XXXVI (2014)
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
Discography Thread Resurrection!!

Because they went and released a new album.

"Now" Chicago XXXVI (2014)

Keith Howland - Guitar, Vocals
Tris Imboden - Drums
Robert Lamm - Keyboards, Vocals
Lee Loughnane - Trumpet, Background Vocals
James Pankow - Trombone, Background Vocals
Walt Parazaider - Saxophone, Background Vocals
Lou Pardini - Keyboards, Vocals
Walfredo Reyes, Jr. - Percussion
Jason Scheff - Bass, Vocals

----------

Now  5:03
More Will Be Revealed  5:11
America  4:04
Crazy Happy  5:02
Free At Last  5:13
Love Lives On  5:21
Somethings' Coming, I Know  3:48
Watching All The Colors  4:15
Nice Girl  4:02
Naked In The Garden Of Allah  4:24
Another Trippy Day  4:04

First impression: Hmm, pretty good.  That opening track with the strings and semi-disco sound (or whatever that was) kinda scared me, though.

Second impression: Wow, lots of horns; that's cool.  And they've still got it, and even sound different sometimes.  Pankow's obviously been experimenting and/or has learned some new tricks in arranging them.

Third impression: Man, Keith Howland's guitar sounds great.  Like Terry would if Terry was still around.  Ah, that's right; Keith literally grew up listening to Terry Kath, and he was hired because he sounds like Terry.  I'm glad he's still with them.

Fourth impression: Okay, I'm just gonna skip that first song from now on.  I really can't stand Jason Scheff or his shitty ballads.

Fifth impression: This is a great album, improved considerably by starting with Track 2 and going from there.  It sets a completely different tone, focusing on the guitar and the horns, the rock and roll.  The other ballad makes a nice contrast, coming halfway through the album.  I don't know why they feel the need to start each "side" with a ballad, especially now that no one from the 80's or 90's cares anymore, and the rest of the album is rock and roll.

----------

I ripped it lossless to my iPod and have been listening to it pretty much non-stop for the past four or five days.  I miss the old days of listening while absorbing the credits from the liner notes, but this is cool, too, because it allows me to listen to the music and focus on that without thinking about who wrote what and who's playing what.  I did a quick skim through the credits when I opened it and saw that there are individual songwriting, playing, and production credits for each song.  This reflects how the album was made, which was rather unconventionally.  More on that later.

It's growing on me, as you can tell.  And really, that opening title track is really deceiving.  A flourish, a piano glissando, and strings hit you first, followed immediately by horns that sound great, in a mellow Sinatra kind of way, then Jason Scheff's "kinda like Peter Cetera but whinier and no balls" lead vocals come in and you think you've made a horrible mistake.  And you have.  You forgot to skip the first track.  Remember to skip that track, and you'll be fine.  I'm actually keeping this on my iPod, but without the title track.

Chicago's website and message boards have been very busy the past year or so, as news of the band working on a new album trickled out.  How were they making a new album?  Aren't they on tour right now?  What will it sound like?  Who's even in the band any more?

And the title of this one is different.  They've kept the Roman numerals, since it's their thing, but also added a title, in quotation marks, and up front.  The proper title of this album is "Now" Chicago XXXVI.  Weird huh?

But it also makes a statement.  This is how Chicago sounds now.  This is what they are now.  This is how they do it now.  They still tour pretty much constantly, doing hundreds of shows a year, so they developed a studio-quality mobile recording setup that they can take with them on the road.  They record tracks in hotel rooms and people's houses, and it sounds great, and it all gets cleaned up in production anyway.  They call it "the Rig".

Here's the thing, though.  Walter Parazaider, original woodwind player and often considered the founder of the band, does not tour with them all the time.  He was sick for a while, and has taken some time off.  Also, in at least one of the countless interviews over the years that always ask the same questions, the answer was "We thought we'd be retired by now. No one thought we'd still be doing this 40 years later."  I'm sure that's true, but the more people ask, and the more they have to think about it and answer it, the more often it's gonna hit them: I'm 70something years old.  I should be home playing with my grandkids and chilling and enjoying life, but I'm still working.  It's the greatest job in the world, playing music, but I still do it and I do it every night, and I'm getting really old.

These guys were playing sold out shows in Carnegie Hall when I was growing up, and I'm old, so what does that make them?

Anyway, the point is that despite the official band roster I've given above, taken directly from the CD jacket (alphabetized to make it consistent with other discographies), Walt Parazaider isn't on this album very much.  Each song has individual writing and playing credits, as they were recorded in bits and pieces while on the road (and sometimes in the studio), and since Walt wasn't on the road most of the past few years, that's not him on saxophone.  James Pankow, who always arranged the horns for all songs, doesn't do that anymore either, and doesn't always play trombone here.

In fact, if you read the credits carefully, only half the songs are played by Chicago and only members of Chicago.  That opening sappy 80's-sounding ballad by Jason Scheff is just him, Howland on guitar, and a bunch of session guys.  Lamm, Pardini and Loughnane do some vocals.  Those aren't Chicago horns (which is why they sound so different) and that's sure not them on strings.  That's also why I have no trouble skipping the title track.

The real opening track is "More Will Be Revealed", a Lamm song featuring mostly the actual band Chicago.  Ray Herrmann is credited on saxophones, and he's the guy who tours with them when Walt's not with them, so I'm sure we're listening to horns recorded on the road.  But it's a good song, and it's actually Chicago "now".

"America" is deceiving.  A Lee Loughnane composition, it starts with the words "America, America is free. America, America is you and me" being sung in lush major-seventh harmonies, and critics have already blasted it for being the obligatory ultra-patriotic song that's so common nowadays.  But that's because they stopped listening once they heard that.  That's the refrain, and it's meant to be ironic.  The first verse follows immediately:

The dream is fading before our eyes
Take some time to revive it
"We the People" must start right now
Don't expect our leaders to show us how
They don't have a clue what to do

Yeah, kind of a different message there.  A good song, mostly Chicago, except Lee is the only Chicago horn player.  Session guys on sax and trombone.

"Crazy Happy" is a Scheff/Lamm collaboration.  They share lead vocals, and Scheff not only plays bass but also keyboard bass and some regular keyboards.  Same sax and trombone player as on the previous track (Larry Klimas and Nick Lane, respectively) but otherwise Chicago.

"Free At Last" is old-school Chicago.  A Keith Howland song, featuring his awesome Kath-like guitar and actual Chicago horns.  Okay, mostly.  Herrmann on sax, but remember, that's as close as we usually come these days.  Horns are arranged by Pankow, so they sound great, like Chicago.  I should mention that Pankow doesn't seem to be the sole horn arranger anymore.  Most of the horn arranging credits go to Lamm and Loughnane.

"Love Lives On" is the other Scheff ballad.  I'll probably nuke this one from my iPod, too.  Scheff, Imboden on drums, Pankow and Loughnane on horns, the rest are session guys.  Really, what is the deal with recording an album, calling it Chicago, and having half the songs basically solo tracks by individuals and whoever they felt like getting?  If Scheff wants to make a solo album and fill it with his crappy ballads, let him.  Why muck up Chicago albums with them, when Chicago doesn't even play on them?  Oh yeah that's right, because no one would buy a Jason Scheff solo album.  They'd sell even worse than Peter Cetera solo albums did, and people actually liked him.

"Something's Coming, I Know" is another Lamm song, and it's all Chicago, including Walt on sax.  A little bit cheesy, but it sounds great, and I love hearing those horns.

"Watching All The Colors" is a Lamm song from another side of his writing book, the psychedelic side.  But it's good, and it's all Chicago once again.

"Nice Girl" is a Howland/Scheff collaboration, and once you know that, it kinda sounds like it.  Howland's the rocker in the band, and that balances out Scheff's wimpiness.  Catchy song, poppy but with some nice guitar work and their "road" horn section.

"Naked in the Garden of Allah" is weird song, but kinda cool.  Another Lamm experimental thing, its lyrics are sparse and impressionistic, but the idea seems to be that we are all the same, all children of whatever creator we may believe in, however we perceive Him to be, and really, getting along shouldn't be that hard.  This concept is reflected in the title itself.  All Chicago, plus a session guy named John McFee on fiddle.  Yes, fiddle.  It's an interesting addition, and sounds cool.

"Another Trippy Day" is Lamm being not-so-serious again, and having some fun with vocal effects.  It's listed as a "bonus track" which doesn't seem to mean a lot when the album is only released on CD anyway, but whatever.  All Chicago, plus John Van Eps (who has co-writing credit) on synths.

----------

Listening to this album multiple times before digging into the credits turned out to be a good thing.  I likely would have focused too much on who's playing, or not playing, on individual songs, and tried to hear differences.  Instead, I was able to enjoy an album of great music and not worry about that.  It does bug me that it says Chicago on the cover and some members of the band don't feel compelled to actually record their songs with the band Chicago.  Each member also has production credit on their own songs.  You'd think that this would result in a disparate collection of songs with no cohesive sound to them, but the results are remarkably consistent.  What part of the process is that, the mastering?  I don't know.  But somewhere between recording each of the individual tracks and putting a final version of the album together for CD cutting, somebody made it all sound really good and consistent.  It sounds like an album that shows off the different sides of a band, which it is.  And I probably should stop making such a big deal about all the session guys appearing on all the songs.  Looking at it now, it's not that many, and it does add some color and variety to the songs.

Overall, I like it.  It's a good album, and a good Chicago album.  No, it's not 70's Chicago.  That band is gone, that time is gone.  But this is a good representation of Chicago now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:59:55 AM by Orbert »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Chicago Discography - "Now" (2014)
« Reply #372 on: July 19, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
Sounds great, I will check it out!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #373 on: July 19, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
Bought it on release day, still need to hear it. I have it as Chicago XXXVI: Now in my iTunes. I hate the way the band stylized it.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #374 on: July 19, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
Same here.  Chicago XXXVI: Now.  It's a happy coincidence, but I've always found it kinda cool how Roman numerals end up in the correct order when you alphabetize by them.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #375 on: July 19, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Had no idea they had an album coming out. Cool.

Of course, since I am such a fan of Orbert's discography threads, anything new in one of them-will the new Yes get the same treatment?-is always a plus  :hefdaddy
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #376 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
Fear not, I'll be adding a write-up on the new Yes album to that discography as well.  But I'm pretty busy again this week, with another gig coming up, so I don't know when.  I still have a lot of listening to do.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
ok, Orbert.  I know this is related to Chicago 17, but bear with me as this is the kind of thing that is right up your alley.

Every version of "Only You" that I've heard begins immediately with the drum beat and synth bass.  However, I was listening to the hi-rez version I got from HD Tracks and there is a 5-second horn swell before the drums and bass come in.  Have you heard both of these versions?  It's a small thing, but it does add a bit more character to the song.
Winger would be better!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
The only version I've ever heard is the (I suppose) the "regular" album version from Chicago 17.  A horn swell leading up to it sounds cool, and I'm sure it does add a little something.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »
Followers of this thread might be interested in this interview on That Metal Show (of all places) with the daughter of Terry Kath about her upcoming doco .  Not the deepest interview of all time but interesting nonetheless. 

https://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks/interview-with-michelle-kath

I need to review this thread at some point - Chicago got a runner up mention (#51) in my Top 50 and are one of the very few 60's/70's bands that played a part in my childhood.   I need to educate myself a bit more on the early stuff - I have maybe 10 albums of theirs but with a band like Chicago that's just scratching the surface.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
hey Orbert, were you aware that this existed?

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Quadio-Disc-Blu-Ray-Audio/dp/B01EWGTEGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475891841&sr=8-1&keywords=chicago+quadio

seems to be every Chicago album that had a quad mix, now on blu ray. CTA, II, III, V, VI, VII, IX (greatest hits), and X

new boxed set that includes quadraphonic and stereo mixes in high resolution 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio on nine Blu-ray Audio discs

Housed in a rigid two-piece box, nine albums are presented in sleeves that replicate the original release down to the last detail, including mini posters, and the iron-on that came with Chicago VIII. To ensure optimal sound quality, Rhino has remastered each album in both its original quadrophonic and stereo mix on each disc
Winger would be better!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #381 on: October 07, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »
I saw some advertising for that a while back, and got very excited.  Then I saw the prices for the box, and was somewhat less excited, but still interested to read the reviews.  Reviews are mixed.  There were apparently some "technical issues" with some of the pressings, supposedly one of the discs is actually mono or something like that; it's actually been a little while since I read the reviews so I don't remember exactly, but apparently there were some real problems.  As for reviews, some people raved and others pointed out specific things that were bad, so my enthusiasm waned.  I remember seeing "missed opportunity" more than once, but also people pointing out that this is probably all we're going to get, so take it or leave it, depending on how hardcore of a fan you are, and what your finances allow.

I'm building a small collection of Blu-ray, DVD-A, 5.1, 4.0, and whatever "other" formats are out there, and would really love to get this, but I wanted to wait until they got the bugs worked out, then I kinda forgot. :(  I hope there's still some out there.  It would also be nice if they were released individually, but who knows?

Have you heard anything about the set?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
honestly I just stumbled across this collection today and I've only read those amazon reviews, which for the most part are glowing, although one or two do mention a possible mastering error.

I guarantee this set has been discussed ad nauseam over at the Steve Hoffman forums.  Might be worth it to try to find the thread where it is being discussed for a more detailed discussion and any possible fixes that have been made.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »
as I suspected, here is the 57(!) page thread on this set alone.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/quadio-chicago-bluray-box-set-announced.531917/
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
ok here's another one you may already have heard about, Orbert.  I know you are a fan of Steven Wilson's work with the Yes catalog.  Now he is doing something with Chicago.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there will be a surround mix.

A 2017 stereo version of Chicago II, an album that still sounds like nothing else.

Originally issued in 1970, Chicago's second album brims with confidence and inspiration as it draws on everything from ambitious orchestral music to heavy rock.

Chicago II has been remixed before, but never like this. For the first time, a stereo remix from the 16-track multi-track tapes made it possible for Steven Wilson to bring out elements that were muffled or submerged in the mix. The result is a stereo version of Chicago II that boasts a clarity and punch it didn't possess before.

Pre-order for 27th January release.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/99/8237/
Winger would be better!