Author Topic: Stream of Consciousness Appreciation Thread  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Stream of Consciousness Appreciation Thread
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for SOC around these here parts! In fact, a lot of people find it to be DT's most "boring" instrumental. 

I LOVE SOC, and I would definitely go as far as to say it's in my top 3 instrumentals by any band ever.  It uses the same riff throughout, but it never feels recycled or stale.  Instrumentally, it's brilliant! And when it reaches its crescendo near the end   :metal :metal :metal

It's one of the few instrumentals that I feel like "tells a story" in and of itself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Stream of Consciousness Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »
Damn good instrumental.  No way is it boring.  I wouldn't call it their best or their worst.  It's not as awesome as Erotomania or Overture 1928, but it's better than Raw Dog and The Dance of Eternity.  So yeah, a middle of the pack DT instrumental.  Yep, that sounds about right. :coolio

Offline Ad134

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
One of two 10 minute+ DT songs I have taken the time to learn on Guitar (the other being Lines in the Sand). One of my favourites of all time!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »
I like most of the instumental sections in DT songs a lot, but I don't like DT instrumentals. SOC is the only exception and therefore it is the best, forget the rest.  ;D

It's not boring and what makes it perfect for me is, that it's not an excuse for an ongoing wank-fest but actually a real song. The harmony guitar parts later in the song are just spine chilling.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
It's not truly bad, but it's never done much for me. It feels a little... Emotionless
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Some great parts, excellent solos but repetitive.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
This is my favorite DT instrumental and I'd love to hear more like it on the new album. I really dig the whole 'variations on a theme' vibe--a theme that was started on the previous song no less. I really love the soloing and feel they are really well crafted and tasteful.

Appreciated.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlastParadigm

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
The ending always brings chills down my spine.
That classical-oriented melody, with that harpsichord and guitar solo,  and the initial riff bringing an almost abrupt ending to the song... it's beyond amazing!
One of my favorites by DT <3

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »
An excellent instrumental, one of their best IMHO.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »
An excellent instrumental, one of their best IMHO.

This. I remember listening it to the first time on LAB...first: :omg: ....later....  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
I don't think it is their best instrumental, but it definitely kicks ass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
My favourite DT instrumental. Amazing.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »
Eargasm at 3:50

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »
Amazing instrumental. This thread reminded me how long I haven't heard it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
The drumming is outstanding.  In parts of SOC the guitar riffs are more simplistic giving the drums room to shine.  I miss MP (MP the drummer, not MP the personality!).

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
The drumming is outstanding.  In parts of SOC the guitar riffs are more simplistic giving the drums room to shine.  I miss MP (MP the drummer, not MP the personality!).

I want to hear MM play SOC..perhaps this upcoming tour (as being discussed in the new album thread). I have a feeling he'd blow us all away.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
one of my favorite DT songs since I found the band, hasn't fallen out of my top 10 ever.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
The song that made me listen to Train Of Thought in its entirety and therefore the song that made me a DT fan :hearts:

The main riff/melody still blows me away, just as it did the first time I heard it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
I first got a taste of DT through watching LAB, this song along with Trial of Tears cemented my love for their music. The riff I enjoy that it could be played endlessly and I'd still enjoy it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
I need to listen to it again.  I remember thinking that it had a different vibe from other DT instrumentals.  More cerebral or something, rather than trying to be all about musical pyrotechnics.  But I don't listen to Train of Thought much, so I haven't heard "Stream of Consciousness" in a while.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Definitely best DT instrumental. Love Petrucci ending solo, the main riff is so contagious, drumming are superb... Perfect.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
My favourite DT instrumental and a top 5 song in general. The melodies are possibly the most heart-wrenching in their entire discog. And the middle section suits the song like long hair for JP. And even when I'm not the biggest fan of Jordan, his work in the song is absolutely splendid. The string solo in the outro...  :heart. Oh, and the main guitar solo is my second fave (behind Lines in the Sand) DT solo. And the outro guitar solo is majestic, and the harmony which joins in the second time makes it even better. A masterful composition.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
I was hoping somebody would make this thread.   :tup

I love this song.  It's definitely my favorite DT instrumental, and a top 15 DT song overall, maybe even top 10. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
listened to this earlier while on a run, and all i can say is "meh". That first chord progression is cool, but it lingers on. and then its got all that medolically bulgarian style riffage which doesn't do anything for me at all. JPs solo is lolworthy (in a good way! freaking crazy man). and then theres nothing else really besides the awesome guitar duet thing, jordans organ sounds on that chord progression, and his string section sounding keyboard solo thing. I dunno... I don't see myself listening to this one again for a while...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
I really like the Live at Budokan version, the studio version just doesn't do it for me like the live version does. MP speeds it up a bit and I like it. The rest if the band may not have  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
I really like the Live at Budokan version, the studio version just doesn't do it for me like the live version does. MP speeds it up a bit and I like it. The rest if the band may not have  :lol

I just gave both of them a listen again and realized that I actually enjoy the live version quite a bit more. In the studio it sounds very impressive, but equally robotic. Hearing it live lessens that aspect considerably.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
Best Dream Theater instrumental, no contest.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »
I just gave both of them a listen again and realized that I actually enjoy the live version quite a bit more. In the studio it sounds very impressive, but equally robotic. Hearing it live lessens that aspect considerably.
Yeah, robotic is the word I was looking for. I was thinking sterile too. Especially the first half of it on the studio album, it sounds robotic, but comes alive on stage
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
Very good song. Not my fav DT instrumental, which would probably go to Erotomania or Ytse Jam. But, as Kev said, it easily beats out Raw Dog and TDOE. Possibly Hell's Kitchen as well. I would say this song has Jordan's best performance on the album. He really shines on this track. I actually came into this thread thinking that SoC was maybe a little underrated, but apparently I was wrong about that, with several people claiming it to be their favorite DT instrumental.

Anyway, I just listened to the song again, and here's a few points that I really liked. The keyboard run at 2:03. Seems to say, welcome to the song. From 5:33-7:32, I get a bit of a feeling of flowing water, hey, almost like a stream! Jordan's parts at 9:03 are  :omg: The unison at 9:55 is very nice, usually DT's unisons are more speedy and less melodic than that. I also find that the transitions in the song are pretty darn smooth.

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »
I actually came into this thread thinking that SoC was maybe a little underrated, but apparently I was wrong about that, with several people claiming it to be their favorite DT instrumental.

Well, keep in mind that this is an appreciation thread.  It's designed to focus on the positive more than the negative.  I know that there are quite a few people who aren't too fond of this song. 

But yeah, for me, this song is aces. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
Sure, I am not surprised that it's getting a lot of praise, just that so many find it to be their favorite DT instrumental. There's a lot of middle ground between not being fond of it, and it being your fav DT instrumental.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Rumborak, the audio quality is a little shaky, but I'm impressed with the cover! Thanks for sharing. What other songs has/does your band play?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
*note to self:  play this during the commute home...
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline krands85

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
Great song from a brilliant album. I'm always a little unsure what my favourite DT instrumental is, but I guess it probably is SoC when I think about it.

It seems like it should be too long for an instrumental and that it might drag at some points - but it never feels like that when I listen to it. Plus, JP's solo melts my face every time  :omg: ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww