Author Topic: Dark Castle's Top 50 V1.5(Return of the Booty Shorts) #19, 11 have NSFW Covers  (Read 13845 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Hey guys, how's it going? Last year I attempted to have my own Top 50 that I had to stop due to school, and I feel like my Top 50's changed enough to just start over, ARE YOU GUYS READY?
There'll be some that are familiar, but there will be a lot of new, more diverse entries. I guess it'll still be heavy on the Metal, but there's a lot more than just that, that I'm looking forward to sharing.
So without further ado, let's get this started!

50. Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)

Daft Punk start off the list with their fantastic album 'Discovery', an album that holds many fond memories of mine and an album that still wows me to this day. I first heard this album as a freshman in highschool, I'd just discovered I was a metalhead and I was just starting to explore that realm when my best friend at the time showed me Daft Punk. He showed me "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" and "Around The World", I knew that I had to find an album, and I found this album. The first listen through pretty much sealed the deal for me, and I went on to overplay the hell out of my cd, to the point where it now fucks up on "Heroes" non stop. I hear a lot of people telling me "DUDE, HOW IS HOMEWORK NOT YOUR FAVORITE?" And the answer is, Discovery was there for a lot of moments, my first camping trip with an old girlfriend, there for my breakup with said old girlfriend, and many late night drives. For that, and the wonderful music that makes up the album, I will always cherish it.

Favorite Tracks: Digital Love, Harder Better Faster Stronger, Heroes, Face to Face
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:42:32 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Dark Castle's Top 50 V1.5(Return of the Booty Shorts)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
Following with supreme interest, and that Daft Punk album is amazing. I'm not sure what's my favourite, actually, but it's not Homework, either, so consider yourself in good company, I suppose. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
49. Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)

Around October 2011, the first girl I could say with certainty that I loved and could spend the rest of my life with parted ways with me after being together for some time, and it crushed me. I pretended to get over it, just so I wasn't the mopey guy nobody liked hanging around with, but I felt hollow. I felt like the colour had left everything. A bit dramatic I suppose, but hey I'm that kind of person I guess, even if I don't show people that side of me much :P Where Weather Systems came in, I had started walking around the town where I attended University, aimless, thinking about life, and in South Dakota, Winter stretches it's lovely bleakness well into May most years, so it got pretty bleak at times heh. I'd seen everybody posting about them here, and had friends who were big fans so I picked up Weather Systems. Man, the emotions flowed out. "Untouchable Pt.1 & 2" hit me in the heart, and the following songs did as well. The incredibly emotional lyrics and vocals synced in with me, and this album was kind of my therapy, to get back into world as a truly happy person. This album helped me mend bridges with the lass, and she's now one of my best friends and I feel blessed to have such an incredible person as her as a friend. This album means so much to me, and it's comprised of fantastic music. Whenever I'm feeling down, or it's a stormy day, which there's no shortage of in Florida, I like to pop it in and just soak in the emotions.

Favorite Tracks: Untouchable Part I & II, Lightning Song, Internal Landscapes

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
Love love love Weather Systems!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »
Weather Systems is one of my favorite albums. It's incredible.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
never really given Daft Punk much of a chance, I'll give a listen to some of those tracks you mentioned.

Weather Systems is awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
48. Metric - Fantasies (2009)

I went to see Scott Pilgrim with my best friends when it came out, and I absolutely adored the song "Black Sheep" so I went and found out who actually wrote it, and that's how I found Metric. I found the album "Live It Out" first, and was instantly hooked. This album is chock full of dark tunes that pack a punch that all the while manage to sound dazzling, which is why it's my favorite. Emily Haines has a distinct voice that I've always thought dazzled the most on this album. Songs such as "Gold Gun Girls" pummel along with the electronic embellishes that they'd use much more expansively on their newest record 'Synthetica' while songs such as "Sick Muse" showcase Metric's chops for quirky songs with a dark edge.No stories about this album impacted me or anything of the nature. It's just a damned brilliant indie rock album from a band that continue to evolve and play around with their sound.

Favorite Tracks: Help I'm Alive, Sick Muse, Gold Guns Girls, Gimme Sympathy

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
I bought Fantasies a few years ago and listened to it a bunch of times. I really liked it but I pretty much completely forgot about it. I'll have to give it a listen again soon.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
47. Blood Stain Child - Epsilon (2011)

Remember this one? Blood Stain Child from Japan blend electronic/rave and melodic death metal in a radular combination that's unrivaled. This was an band I discovered thanks to Decibel, which as of late I fell out of reading, which was more due to Barnes & Noble decided to drop rather than getting bored with it, anyways... Sophia has a wonderful voice that is accompanied by a competent harsh vocalist, leading to a nice mix of vocal styles. The guitars are probably my favorite thing about the album though, they seem kind of hidden in the mix, and not in the way that you can't hear them, but they don't draw all attention to themselves and are absolutely amazing when they do force themselves to dazzle. And dazzle they do during solos. Not overly flashy, but damned solid and memorable, the solos wow, all the while still not commanding complete attention. This album has served me as great music for studying, road trips, and on dates  :hat
If you're into melodic death metal, and like bands experimenting, Blood Stain Child don't disappoint one bit. I also find it very cool that one of the guitarists is transgender and busts out bitchin guitar solos to the dismay of homophobics/idiots/insulting term to people that are ignorant.

Favorite Tracks: Forever Free, Stargazer, Dedicated To Violator
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:01:39 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »
I've heard about Epsilon but I dismissed it as being too sugaryweird for me. I know their early stuff was basically Japanese Children Of Bodom.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
46. Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (1999)

Mcleodgaming Forums, freshman in highschool, that's where I was in life when I heard of Children of Bodom. Before that, I'd ditched country fully about a year before that, and was into Ozzy, Metallica, and Motley Crue, pretty much whatever my dad played on roadtrips and what was on Guitar Hero. On MGF, I had a friend with similar musical tastes and one night he sent me a link asking me if I thought the band was nu-metal, as some idiots as he put it told him they were. So I open up the link and boom "In Your Face" comes up and I'm blown away. I didn't know what to think at first, as at that point I still maintained I didn't like Harsh Vocals, but I absolutely loved them and wanted more. Over the next few months I collected all of their albums at that point at the local F.Y.E. and my first album that I acquired was 'Hatebreeder'. It's an amazing sophomore alone considering there's a common term in the musical business called "The Sophomore Slump", but even considering that, it's a classic in my eyes. Flawlessly fusing Power Metal frills with Black Metal/Melodic Death temper, Hatebreeder pushed the genre forward. Alexi Laiho is an incredibly talented guitarist and the rest of the group are damned talented as well. Songs lay it on thick with a ill, sinister, mood that drips from the album. Keyboards are laced in with surgeon precision and further pushes the setting. This album was my early highschool obsession, I was the kid sitting in the back at Theatre rehearsals waiting for the Director, sitting in my own little Lake Bodom. To me, this is their Masterpiece, and while I think they've continued to release great albums, this one will sit at the top for sentimental reasons, and the fact that it kicks ass and doesn't apologize for it.

Favorite Tracks: Bed of Razors, Towards Dead End, Black Widow, Children of Bodom, Downfall

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
Perfect disc, best COB album ever, and exactly the correct top tracks. Bed of Razors and Black Widow, especially, are some of my favourite Bodom tracks.

I give this update three thumbs up. :tup :tup :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Dark Castle's Top 50 V1.5(Return of the Booty Shorts)(#47-46)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
Hatebreeder was one of my favorite COB albums when I was still a fan of them :tup

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
<3 Anathema, and I may have to get hold of Blood Stain Child. It sounds wierd enough for me.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
45. Overkill - Ironbound (2011)

A band that's often overlooked in the books of Thrash, Overkill come in at 45, and it's with an album that made a large splash in 2011. Ironbound pumps me up so much it's just ridiculous. The breakneck drumming, the ripping riffage, and Bobby Blitz howling over the top gets my blood coursing and ready for a biking session that pushes me to the limit. If I'm being honest, Overkill's earlier albums were hit and miss for me, it just didn't seem to gel, but over these last few years they've been on fire and have released a handful of thrash gems. Not only that, but they sound completely unique in my opinion from the other thrash giants and that never hurts. If I could kick Megadeth and Anthrax out I'd gladly put Exodus and Overkill in the big 4, as they obviously deserve, and continue to outshine their "bigger" contemporaries. If you're looking for some workout music or get the fuck pumped up music, or even some background music for hanging out, you really can't go wrong with this album or their last few and newest as well.

Favorite Tracks: The Green and Black, Ironbound, The Goal is Your Soal

Offline adace

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Overkill :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
44. The Strokes - Angles (2011)

Last year, my best friend got the game Rock Smith(the one where you plug an actual guitar in and essentially learn how to actually play the songs) and that became his big obsession. Through that he found The Strokes, and after awhile finally got an album, and he forced me to play it over whatever metal cd I purchased that day, and I'm glad he did, as Angles is an incredible album. It's like an explosion of the 80's pop/electronic/rock sound and it's done gloriously. Everytime I listen, I'm singing along, as the songs just swell up inside and burst with energy. Guitars are layered and harmonized to perfection and make me want to air guitar non stop. This album is a sorely needed breath of fun and nostalgia and I can thank a videogame for showing my friend this wonderful band and compelling him to actually spend money for once.
I haven't explored their past catalog much, but this record and Comedown Machine are absolutely radular and I implore you to jam out and have some fun

Favorite Tracks: Machu Picchu, Under Cover of Darkness, Two Kinds of Happiness, Call Me Back

Offline adace

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:24 PM »
^Yeah, that's a pretty fun one. Probably my favorite Strokes album.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
43. Indian - Guiltless (2011)

Relentless, Punishing, Unforgiving, these are some adjectives that correctly associate themselves to Indian, a "black metal  with a bit of sludge" band who hail from Chicago. I first listened to these guys on the toilet at work :hat, and man I made sure I bought this album after hearing "No Grace". This album is insane, it's intense and I worry for the instruments that are obviously taking physical abuse. Just listening to the drummer beat the shit out his kit makes me ache a bit, and the vocals command attention, berating you with pure unadulterated hate. "Supplicants" is the only song that gives the listener a break, a small 2:27 break at that compared to the others songs running times, which are double or triple that. And that last part is where Indian truly succeed. The song lengths are absolutely warranted and I couldn't imagine taking anything out of the songs, they're perfectly constructed beatdowns that I love to take.

Favorite Tracks: No Grace, Guiltless, Supplicants, Banality

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Weather Systems is good  :tup.

I used to like Children of Bodom, but I can't stomach Laiho's voice nowadays.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
Discovery and Weather Systems are awesome. Never listened to the rest though...

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
I'm going to laugh when the albums I bought from your last list aren't on this one  :lol

Oh well, I still have liked everything you've recommended me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
42. Born of Osiris - The Discovery(2011)

Probably one of the biggest surprises of 2011, Born of Osiris shocked metal fans everywhere with this stunner, including myself. I'd never been a big fan, they just hadn't caught my interest, but from the first song "Follow The Signs" I was hooked. The album features some absolutely stunning guitar work, dropping my jaw to the floor at many points. The band utilizes two vocalists, one who gets the deeper growls, while the other tackles the higher howls, which I'm very glad, as it would have gotten boring if they'd only stuck to one dynamic in the vocal department. The genre would fall under djent metal, but don't let that stop you if you're not the usual fan of djent, this album is definitely worth checking out, and I feel like Born of Osiris aren't done surprising people.

Favorite Tracks: Follow The Signs, Recreate, Behold
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:58:30 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
41. Soilwork - The Living Infinite(2013)

Just a quick note before the writeup:You're going to see some recent albums, just know that I can hear an album once and can consider it amongst my favorites. This isn't the only one, in fact some are quite high, but I earnestly believe they deserve their rankings, any who, back to the write up!

Coming off of "The Panic Broadcast" and personnel changes, Soilwork faced a daunting task to top The Panic Broadcast and keep the train rolling. Not only did they laugh at the challenge by exhaling pure confidence, they also announced "The Living Infinite" would be a double album. Well, at least to me they destroyed any expectations and released their best album(s) yet. Chock full of memorable songs that go through a wide spectrum of emotions, Soilwork spent the month of March and April dominating my car stereo, and now that I've got the record on vinyl, the home invasion shall begin. There is no filler, and considering there's 20 songs, that's fucking extraordinary. I can't wait to see how they plan on topping this, because, they just might have to do a triple album to even begin topping this masterpiece!
Favorite Tracks:Spectrum of Eternity, This Momentary Bliss, The Living Infinite I, The Windswept Mercy, Long Live the Misanthrope, The Living Infinite II, Parasite Blues, Owls Predict, Oracles Stand Guard

Offline adace

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
TLI is already one of my top 5 melodeath albums. Great pick :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »
that is the second 2013 album to be mentioned in a top 50 list so far (Sketchy - Steven Wilson/The Raven)

Just a quick note before the writeup:You're going to see some recent albums

ha, I was about to mention that so far this list includes:

1999 - 1
2001 - 1
2009 - 1
the 2010s - 7!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
40. Parkway Drive - Deep Blue (2010)

Extremely underrated, and rad as fuck, Parkway Drive close out the 40's. Hailing from Australia, these guys have every right to feel pissed off about life, I mean everything's trying to kill them and they're plagued with Vegemite. All seriousness though, this is a heavy, heartfelt record that is about searching for truth in a world devoid of it. One of the first bands I got into after being obsessed with Children of Bodom, the music is pummeling metalcore that masterfully deploys parts that most band waste or don't know how to use properly. The biggest example being breakdowns, where as many bands use breakdowns as a crutch for songwriting, Parkway Drive use them to further enhance a song, and by that I mean it's not them going into a minute long breakdown, but rather using the breakdown to further enhance the song. I guess I can't explain it very well, but if you listen, you'll see what I mean. The lyrics and vocal delivery also wowed me, the lyrics them self reminded me of my relationship with my biological father, one line from the song "Unrest" "You can win the ratrace, but you're still, nothing but a fucking rat" just made me think of how obsessed my bio dad is with making a pyramid scheme business work, and how much I've come to distance myself from him when back in the past when he focused on his trucking and getting a dream gig of driving a tour bus and how that all had shattered when he found out I didn't want to do what he wanted to do, even if I didn't end up being a wealthy person.

If you're a fan of bands like Killswitch Engage, I get the feeling you'll like these guys.

Favorite Tracks: Unrest, Sleepwalker, Karma, Home Is For The Heartless

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Never heard of them, but it sounds intriguing. I'll check it out.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
39. Skeletonwitch - Breathing The Fire (2009)

The band who I bought my first pair of booty shorts from, Skeletonwitch are one of my favorite bands, and their brand of blackened thrash annihilates all competition, and theirs a lot of great blackened thrash bands out there. I discovered them the day of my friends play, and before heading to school to go see the play I went out and bought this album and "Beyond the Permafrost". It took me awhile to truly appreciate "Breathing the Fire" though, for awhile I considered Beyond the Permafrost to be the better album, but eventually BtF's cold atmosphere came around and made me blush like a schoolgirl saying "onee-chan". Chance's raspy vocals are fucking perfect, on album and live. They're commanding, understandable, and vicious. Guitars are calculated insanity, which I like a lot, as well as the solos, which they take time to write and make them the best they can be. Songs are concise, punches to the stomach that never feel to short, and never linger, these guys truly have writing songs down to a tee. Last of all, their guitarist Scott Hendricks endorsement of the booty shorts is warranted, they are indeed very comfy.
Favorite Tracks: Submit to the Suffering, Released From the Catacombs, Crushed Beyond Dust, Blinding Black Rage, Gorge Upon My Soul, Repulsive Salvation

38. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

By just a hair my favorite Pantera album Cowboys From Hell, barely nudging out Vulgar Display Of Power, places in at 38.  This was the second album with Phil Anselmo, and by the time this album was recorded, his underground extreme metal tastes and influences had started to seep into the band.  A HUGE step from Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell is an album chock full of classic tracks, and favorites of mine.  Phil Anselmo was recruited for his Halford-esque wails, but brought a gruff, tough vocal style to the band, and he employs both all over this album, Halford-esque rising up especially in Cemetery Gates, and Cowboys From Hell employing his growls that I love.  Dimebag Darrell had one of the best tones in Metal and it still is one of the best tones ever, and he really dazzles on this album, from album opener Cowboys From Hell to the beautiful playing and solo of The Sleep.  His tone was almost indescribable, but it was like a drill, boring into your ear, leaving a permanent reminder of how awesome it was.  Vinnie Paul isn't really extraordinary, and I don't really like him as a person, but his drumming is like Lars Ulrich, it gets the job done and works for the band.  Something that sets this from the rest of their albums in my opinion is that while it set them in the direction they went onto in the 90's, there's still flashbacks to their glam metal days, but instead of being groanworthy glam, they meld it flawlessly with their new style and the songs just work.  I know for a lot, either Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven are considered their best, and while I love them, Cowboys From Hell just has something that the others don't to me.

Favorite Tracks: Cowboys From Hell, Cemetary Gates, The Sleep, Primal Concrete Sledge
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:24:29 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
37.Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Volume I: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness(2005)

It took a couple of years to really check these guys out, but after hearing "Welcome Home" I wanted to hear more. And when I finally picked this album up I was not disappointed. This album held my car stereo hostage for the longest time last Summer, and I played it over and over and over. Top notch songwriting coupled with talented musicianship, this slice of proggy rock/metal is a wonderful album to spend time with. There's so many things you don't hear the last time you listened that pop out, an example being the guitar solo in "Welcome Home", it took a few spins until I noticed the second guitar completely wigging out behind the main solo and I absolutely love it.
Favorite Tracks: Always and Never, Welcome Home, Ten Speed(Of God's Blood and Burial), The Willing Well

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
No fan of Coheed - Claudio's voice just isn't my cup of tea, and even then, I don't find the music that interesting, but Cowboys from Hell is amazing. Not sure how I missed that one. :metal :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
Claudio's voice just isn't my cup of tea

It is a peculiar voice, so I can see how it would be hit or miss. I'm just glad it's hit me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Scorp, I'd recommend you give Coheed another try. I hated Claudio's voice the first time I heard it, but now Afterman is one of my favorite albums.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »
good point ^^

I too had a lukewarm response when I first started listening to their stuff.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
36. Cephalic Carnage - Mislead by Certainty(2010)

Calculated insanity, Cephalic Carnage take your brain, violently shake it for awhile, and put it back in your head, leaving you to try and make out what the fuck just happened. One of my first ventures into grindcore, Cephalic Carnage excel at proggesive grind, and it's their best album yet. While they were a gateway for me into more extreme metal, I still consider them one of the best extreme metal bands out there. Songs like the opener "The Incorrigible Flame" stun, showing off amazing musicianship and technical skill, while other songs like "Pure Horse's" grind the fuck out and leave you rattled. If you're looking for some music that will challenge you, then you can't do much better than these guys.
Also, closing track "Aeyeucgh!" is so accurately titled it's ridiculous.
Favorite Tracks: The Incorrigible Flame, Abraxas of Filth, Raped by an Orb, Ohrwurm, Repangaea, Aeyeucgh!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:51:40 AM by Dark Castle »