Author Topic: [Movie] The World's End (spoiler free)  (Read 3843 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
[Movie] The World's End (spoiler free)
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
While The World’s End is an incredibly distinct movie that stands out on its own, it’s hard, if not impossible not to compare it to  Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, especially after the three films had been dubbed, “The Cornetto Trilogy”. That said, certain aspects of this review will examine the film on its own merits, while others will compare and contrast it to its predecessors.

While I really want to address the plot, or the direction it took, I certainly don’t want to spoil it. So let me just say this: This plot really has some over the top twists and turns. Be prepared for ANYTHING. If this film had been written by anyone else, I highly doubt they could have pulled a story like this off without effectively jumping the shark and completely breaking the suspension of disbelief. However, this is Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg we’re talking about.

In case you don’t know, the premise of the film starts out benign enough. Gary King (Pegg), a middle aged man who never grew up, wants to reunite with his estranged high school friends, to tackle a challenge that he never got to complete in high school: Visit twelve pubs, and have a pint of beer at each one. While the friends don’t remember Gary in the best light, he is manipulative enough to convince all of them to come along on this mid-life crisis of a journey, and thus, the five friends set out to visit their home town for the first time in many years. The whole first act unravels rather slowly, taking its time to build the characters and their interrelations. If you don’t have patience in this music video driven generation of film-making, you might find the beginning dragging a bit, but if you appreciate good film-making and storytelling, then you should have no problem with it. Once the plot starts rolling, however, it picks up and escalates at an exponential rate, turning this grounded comedy drama, into a comedy drama sci-fi action thriller. There is no other way I could possibly describe it.

If you’re familiar with Edgar Wright’s work, or were at least a fan of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, then you should take comfort in enjoying the quick-witted, subtle yet fast paced humor that this film delivers. The characters are relatable, though perhaps not quite as memorable as the ones in Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Nevertheless, if you’ve watched those two films, as well as Edgar Wright’s 1999 TV series, Spaced, then you should see plenty of familiar faces that by now, feel like old friends and family.

The most unexpected aspect of this film had to be the climax and denouement. It’s really impossible to see it coming, so as I said before: Be prepared for anything.

If I had to mention a negative aspect of this film, it definitely has to be the action sequences. I think it’s about time the use of shaky camera during action sequences had been banned from cinema all together. But since this isn’t primarily an action movie, it did very little to take away from my enjoyment of it.

When compared to the grand scheme of the Cornetto Trilogy, The World’s End is lacking the subtle, nerdy pop-culture references of Shaun of the Dead, and the thrilling action and in your face jokes of Hot Fuzz. However, what it does bring to the trilogy is the most well put together plot, with by far the most epic ending out of the three. On its own merits, The World’s End should be watched by people who know what they’re getting themselves into, because what seems like a fairly down to earth film at the beginning grows into something so over the top, that even the most obnoxious of, "I knew he was the bad guy all along" type of people, probably won't be able to predict how it ends. And yet, when I think about it, it really does make sense.

The World’s End is a highly entertaining adventure that throws away the rules and combines child-like creativity, with sophisticated writing and story structure. It has plenty of comedy to retain the casual viewer, but it’s the film buffs and fans of Edgar Wright's work that should really be pleased and entertained by this film in all its insanity.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: [Movie] The World's End (spoiler free)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:19:11 AM »
A bit of a late reply, but nice review. I haven't seen this film yet but I'm a fan of Pegg's work, so I really want to.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
I really enjoyed it, its a good take on small town nights out which can be a bit like that (although not QUITE as weird!), and I generally like pegg's stuff as he has a nack of tickling my funny bone!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
Also a late reply, I just saw this the other day and i thought it was a fantastic conclusion to the 'Blood and Ice Cream' trilogy.  I agree with you on your comparison to the earlier two, it wasn't quite as funny or as outlandish as the first two but I think the story alone was miles ahead.  I thought there was considerably less of the 'obvious foreshadowing' that the first two had, but I imagine there would be something there were I to rewatch, which I definitely see happening soon.  A great film, and a great review!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »
Also a late reply, I just saw this the other day and i thought it was a fantastic conclusion to the 'Blood and Ice Cream' trilogy.  I agree with you on your comparison to the earlier two, it wasn't quite as funny or as outlandish as the first two but I think the story alone was miles ahead.  I thought there was considerably less of the 'obvious foreshadowing' that the first two had, but I imagine there would be something there were I to rewatch, which I definitely see happening soon.  A great film, and a great review!
I agree with you, I saw this film a couple of weeks ago and it really lived up to my expectations! The drunk acting was brilliant too!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
Me and a few friends saw this movie as part of the cornetto trilogy. 20$ to see all 3 movies and got a worlds end t-shirt with it. Most fun I think i've ever had at the movies.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
This is my favourite of the three.

I think it contains both Simon and Nick's best acting to date.