Author Topic: Devon Graves Thread (Psychotic Waltz, Deadsoul Tribe, Shadow Theory)  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Appreciate this awesome band. For those of you who don't know them, you may be familiar with their lead singer Devon Graves, as he guested on Ayreon's The Human Equation. They play a sort of progressive metal, though beyond that, I find their style a bit hard to quantify.

So listen to 'em. You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:23:23 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Psychotic Waltz Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
I've been suckin their dick since 2000. Much love to them, especially A Social Grace.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Hmm, I need to get that one. I only have Into The Everflow and Bleeding.

They're supposed to be working on a new album, though I'm not sure when it's being released.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »
I've heard all 3 of their post-ASG albums and like them fairly well but consider them to all be on a tier well below ASG. For your sake, I hope you'll have the same reaction cuz, if so, that'll mean ASG will eviscerate your urethra with its awesomeness.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »
That sounds painful.

:metal

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »
Love this band. :metal Into the Everflow is my favourite, but A Social Grace is not far behind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:44:51 AM »
You got me as a fanboy. Went to see their reunion tour last year. They´re working on a new album, btw. And all of their old stuff is reiussued on Metal Blade.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:08 AM »
been a fan for many years. Into the Everflow is probably my favorite.

The song "My Grave" sounds a lot like Jethro Tull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJcRzfurefQ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
So the new record is supposed to come out late 2013.

Quote from: Psychotic Waltz
Recently reunited San Diego-area progressive metallers Psychotic Waltz have just returned from performances at Rock Hard and Keep It True festivals, as well as their first-ever headlining shows in Greece. The band is now back at home and has started the songwriting process for its fifth studio album (and the group's first record since 1996) for a tentative late 2013 release.

Psychotic Waltz reunited with its original lineup (vocalist Devon Graves, guitarists Dan Rock and Brian McAlpin, bassist Ward Evans and drummer Norm Leggio) early in 2011 after a break of nearly fifteen years. The band took part in the Power Of Metal tour of Europe in April 2011 alongside Nevermore and Symphony X, marking a triumphant return to the scene, and the first time the five founding members had been on the same stage since 1995.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »
This boners me verily.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
had been aware of this band seemingly forever...got the title track of Mosquito from a sample cd circa 13 years ago. always loved the song but wasnt as blown away by anything else i checked out (to be fair, never gave too much of an effort). after some further digging about 2 years back, i became interested enough to order all 4 albums. for some reason, i only really got to know ASG and Mosquito. i should dust off the other two and give em a go, here.

was actually thinking last night how one of the songs by my 'current musical obsession' sounds like it could totes be a psychotic waltz cut.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Devon Graves Thread (Psychotic Waltz, Deadsoul Tribe, Shadow Theory)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
Edited this to include other Devon Graves projects. Anybody else heard these?

I got Deadsoul Tribe's A Murder Of Crows, where Devon played pretty much all the instruments, and I'm really enjoying it so far. He had another project after DST called The Shadow Theory that featured Kristoffer Gildenlow and Johanne James (of Threshold). I have that album as well, but never cared for it much. I'm thinkng I should revisit it now, though.

Anybody else listen to any of Devon's projects?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
I have both Mosquito and A Social Grace on CD, but never really gave them a fair chance. Didn't really like it, never listened to them again, although I loved them playing live on Symphony X / Nevermore tour in 2011. I'll give it another try.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Devon Graves/Buddy Lackey is one of my top 5 artists, for a long time running. Dead Soul Tribe and Psychotic Waltz are bands I just keep going back to listen to.

Do you have the rest of DST? January Tree and The Dead Word are more or less on par with A Murder of Crows while further exploring the tribal 'sound' Graves was after. That stretch of releases were some great years to be a fan.

Not mentioned yet, he also has a Buddy Lackey release between his Psychotic Waltz and Dead Soul Tribe years. Not the first place to send newcomers, but like Shadow Theory it's something you want to check out if you're a fan.

...and A Social Grace isn't my favourite of the Psychotic Watlz releases, but plenty of fans do think it is. Into the Everflow is my favourite.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
I do not yet have the other DST releases yet, though I've heard some of January Tree. Of the Psychotic Waltz albums I've heard, Bleeding is definitely my favorite. I enjoy Devin's more restrained vocal style on it.

Elite, I'd recommend you give the albums another listen. The ones I have I did not like at all the first time I heard them.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
If you're curious, check out a review I co-wrote with Lady Obscure about January Tree: https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/dead-soul-tribe-the-january-tree/

It includes a brief review on the whole of Dead Soul Tribe's discography.

The site also had a feature on A Social Grace: https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/psychotic-waltz-a-social-grace/

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
From their FB page:

Quote from: Psychotic Waltz
Happy New Year!
I know it's been quiet from us but 2013 we have been working on the new disc .
The songs we have are very Psychotic!
We took some time off for the holidays to be with family .
I just want to say on behalf of myself and PW thanks for liking our band and hanging in there with us.
Cheers a to you , we love you all and we're glad you are all still with us.
God Bless and Happy New Year!!
Norm

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »
Heyyyy, just checked out psycho waltz album #1. Fucking great stuff! Thanks for making the thread.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »
No prob bro, glad you're enjoying them! To be honest, I still haven't heard their first album. The reissues (almost they only way to get ahold of the albums) are done in an odd way, one of them has #1 and #3, and the other that I have has #2 and #4. I'll hear the others someday. :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
super old 5+year bump.

Psychotic Waltz sign to Inside Out, new album in 2020

https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic/photos/a.427085880438/10157500857540439/?type=3&theater

Legendary US progressive metal band Psychotic Waltz OFFICIAL are pleased to announce their signing to InsideOutMusic for the worldwide release of their first new studio album in 23 years.

The band is now entering the studio with engineer Ulrich Wild and will see Jens Bogren (Opeth, Fates Warning, Arch Enemy, etc.) taking care of mixing duties for the their fifth full-length, to be released early 2020. Re-releases of the entire PSYCHOTIC WALTZ catalogue will follow through InsideOutMusic as well.

The band comments:
“We could not be happier about joining the InsideOutMusic roster! We are very excited to soon be sharing our upcoming 5th album with everyone, and it’s also great that we will be able to make our back-catalog available once again. Thanks to all of the patient fans and to everyone at InsideOut for believing in us and giving us the opportunity to do this right.”

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ will next be appearing at both the US and European editions of ProgPower festival and have also added a few special club shows in Germany with support by Ghost Ship Octavius to their trip. See all upcoming dates here:

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ – Live 2019:
4-7th September – Atlanta, GA, USA – ProgPower USA
2nd October – Berlin, Germany – Badehaus
3rd October – Hamburg, Germany – Knust
4th October – Bochum, Germany – Matrix
5th October – Baarlo, The Netherlands – ProgPower Europe
6th October – Mannheim, Germany – MS Connexion Complex

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Really been getting into Psychotic Waltz lately. I picked up Mosquito and Bleeding in the past month. And I have albums from Deadsoul Tribe, and the Shadow Theory record as well.

Looking forward to the new PW.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »
Amazing news. I thought the band was dead for good.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 04:58:11 AM »
Finally we're getting somewhere,about 2 years ago i saw them live in Amersfoort Holland.They played a new song from the new album.They asked not to film it or put it on youtube which didn't happen i believe.Seems we're getting a new album now ....

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 08:43:16 AM »
Interesting. I have never heard any of the PW material but I was a huge Devon Graves/Deadsoul Tribe fan. The DST albums were pretty solid. I didn't enjoy The Shadow Theory. Haven't played that album in ages. I should revisit to see what I didn't like about it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
definitely check out some of the Psychotic Waltz stuff goo-goo.

Given your love of Fates Warning , I would think albums like The Social Grace and Into the Everflow might work for you.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 04:40:48 AM »
Beyond excited we're getting a new album. This is one of my all time fave bands.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
bump.

"The-God-Shaped-Void" coming out on February 14th

https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutMusic/photos/a.427085880438/10157948475025439/?type=3&theater

Full original lineup and the first new album in 23 years

The 1st single comes out next Friday December 13th.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
Good stuff. I see they only have the digital pre-order up at Amazon. I'll pre-order the CD when it gets listed.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
Artwork is fantastic as always, and I'm really digging the song they released. Devon's always had such an interesting and unique vocal style, even if I don't always like everything he does. Going to try and remember to pick this up when it comes out.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »
CD is finally up for pre-order at Amazon for those who still get physical editions.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
I will wait for the release. The artwork is awesome.