Author Topic: So Far On Vacation this week......  (Read 3597 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
So Far On Vacation this week......
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
 We have been at the Lake of the Ozarks since last Saturday morning enjoying some good old 'do whatever we want' time. It's been 'eventful' to say the least. On Sunday while docking the Pontoon boat my Father in Law NAILED the dock going about 10 mph.....as he drilled it, he threw the boat in reverse (about 3 seconds to late) and the force of the blow and reverse in direction sent my 7 year old son head over heels off the front of the boat into the water. He had his life jacket on and didn't hit anything on the way in....so after he surfaced he just had a huge 'WTF Just happened to me look on his face' and I pulled him out with no further issues.....other than watching my mother in law scold my father in law, that was funny.

Then this morning, in the hectic chaos of 16 people (yes 16...all my wife's side of the family  :() my three year old gets out the front door and no one noticed until my brother in law saw him on his vehicles back up camera directly in the path of his car while leaving for the store :omg: Talk about thanking GOD for technology and watching out over the little buggar.....and talk about feeling like a utter failure as a parent.  :'( I don't waste time on the 'what if's' of situations like that, I just thank God that there is no 'what if' and learn from it and try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

And then, today my sister in law had an idea being that we all were going to be here....we bought white shirts and dresses and had a photographer come over to take a bunch of 'family' pics. It went very good...up to this point:

:\  You can see me (4th adult from the right) and my wife (first woman on right) Screaming for our three year old son...the little guy near the bend in the dock. My brother in laws wife grabbed him for us the second we screamed for him, it was just scary for a good three seconds cuz we couldn't see him. Take a good look at everyone and you can see my sister in law laughing her a$$ off....not even concerned her nephew could have been under the friggin' water!!!!
  But, we all were fine and have been sitting here getting texts/e mails and Facebook comments from everyone....i'm just glad no one was hurt. So there's my vacation synopsis and we still have to make it to Sunday.

Oh, and I was able to go golf as well...

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: So Far On Vacation this week......
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
 :lol sounds like it worked out nice. that bridge picture is perfect.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
I think the bridge picture turned out better than a happy family photo would have   :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
I think the bridge picture turned out better than a happy family photo would have   :lol
the photographer sent us this pic right after he got home because he wasn't even sure he took one it happened so fast. We took probably 40?? other pics....all types of combinations but you're right.....this IS the photo of the session. Like I said, it's funny now and a funny story....but I'm just glad nothing 'bad' happened.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm glad nothing happened. I'm just cracking jokes. You guys have great balance
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm glad nothing happened. I'm just cracking jokes. You guys have great balance
Once it 'bottomed out', it felt for a moment like it was going to tip forward a bit when we were all scrambling around....it felt weird. I was all good once I knew my little guy was safe.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Given that everyone is okay, that bridge picture really is totally awesome.

But the worst part had to be getting soaked in the Ozarks.  I have been to the Ozarks many times, and the water is pretty disgusting, especially near the edges, so, yuck. :lol :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
That bridge photo rocks (since everyone survived rororo).
It's not just a photo of your family, it's a photo of a family moment with an interesting story behind it to tell. That picture tells more than a thousand words!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »
But the worst part had to be getting soaked in the Ozarks.  I have been to the Ozarks many times, and the water is pretty disgusting, especially near the edges, so, yuck. :lol :lol

The saving grace here is this cove where my in laws condo is at is a good half mile from the 'main' channel. It's very calm and has a small creek that comes from the hills so there is a nice 'current' that keeps the water moving out to the main channel. But, even with that being said it is 'lake' water......

Given that everyone is okay, that bridge picture really is totally awesome.
Yeah, the feed back from my sister in laws Facebook page has been the same sentiment. A common theme is people are laughing at the fact my wife and I are apparently the only ones who were concerned about anything, my sister in law is laughing hysterically and my mother in law is still 'posing' for the picture.

That bridge photo rocks (since everyone survived rororo).
It's not just a photo of your family, it's a photo of a family moment with an interesting story behind it to tell. That picture tells more than a thousand words!

Yeah, this is a moment in time that was captured just at the right moment and will be difficult to forget.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
Y'all really need to make this the cover of your family christmas card.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
I'm fairly certain that has been decided already. I mean, you almost have to.....

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
:floydapproves:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »

Glad everyone is ok. That photo is beyond epic, ya just can't write shit like that. God bless family moments. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
I may mark this day on my calendar.... :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
Oh, and I was able to go golf as well...

someone better use this as caption pic.

Great story Gary.  Seems as though your little guy wasn't too concerned.  "Don't worry pops, I got this".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
Great story Gary.  Seems as though your little guy wasn't too concerned.  "Don't worry pops, I got this".
He handled it great. No crying at all...was just like you said. "No big deal". His cousin cried for 5 minutes after cuz she was so scared but I think Luke is subjected to far worse from his older brothers so it rolled right off his shoulders.

My sister in law sent the pic into 'Ellen' because apparently she shows funny family pics a lot. It's been pretty entertaining reading the responses to the pic on everyones Facebook pages....even the photographer posted it on his and reading random people's comments on it has been entertaining.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
Too bad you don't have the dock episode on video, you could send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos and win some serious scratch  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
We forgot to ask, but...

I'm fairly certain that has been decided already. I mean, you almost have to.....

..please tell me you did this!!! :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Never saw this thread, so sorry for being late, but where you really fucked up was agreeing to pose for that picture in the first place. Some family member floats the idea to all dress the same and pose for a family picture, I'm going to politely decline before heading off into the woods to burn one. Although truth be told, in my family there would be more people joining me than posing for the picture.

The boat story's great, though. If it were a rental pontoon boat, I'd have "inadvertently botched the docking" as well. I was always that guy at the go-kart track that's "stop" by plowing full speed into the kart that parked in front of me. Hopefully a friend, but a stranger was usually just as amusing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
Haha. That reminds me of when we used to do family vacations with our Uncle Joe, Aunt Kathleen and their six kids/my cousins, and the one year when did it at the Ozarks (where Gary's pics are from), and the one night, four of us did the go-karts, but in a torrential downpour.  I still can't believe they let us go when it was raining that hard, but we went round and round for a good 10 minutes or so with the rain just crushing us. I think I was probably 16 or 17 at the time. So much fun. :coolio :hat

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »

I love how the first kid from the right has a facial expression that says "are we done taking pictures yet?"  :lol Glad everyone's okay.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
It looks like a forced baptism.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
Talk about a ''Bridge Over Troubled Water" moment. Very glad no one was injured.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
I think my favorite thing about that amazing photo is the older lady about to take that girl down by her hair.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
Oh my god this is a classic...you should blow that pic up and frame it...hang that shit over the mantle in the living room.
Priceless. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »
WE MUST CAPTION THIS!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi