Author Topic: Lacuna Coil 7/25/09  (Read 7633 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Lacuna Coil 7/25/09
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:03 AM »
I went to this show with somewhat low expectations.  This is a band I like, but do not love.  What I expected was a decent performance and an okay time.  What I got far exceeded my expectations.  The performance was incredibly tight, enthusiastic, and great in just about every way you could possibly expect a concert performance to be.  This was the best time I've had at a concert in quite some time.

Recap:

Myself and another forum member who will remain anonymous unless he chooses to chime in arrived in Reno/Sparks a little after 4:00 p.m.  After driving a bit to scope out the venue and get our bearings, we retired to In N Out Burger for a light pre-concert meal.  We got back to the venue about 5:30 and saw some of the bandmembers hanging around outside.  Chriz was on a cell phone by the front door, and Andrea, Maki, and Chris were over on the side of the venue by the tour bus.  No sign of Christina or Maus.  We talked to the band for a few minutes and took a few pics.  

Into the venue when the doors opened at 7:00.  The club was a bit of a dive, but was pretty good sized and had a pretty good stage setup.  Opening acts were Dommin, Seventh Void (a band put together by the guitarist and drummer from Type O Negative), and Kill Hanna.  Seventh Void were decent.  They reminded me of sort of a screamier version of Soundgarden, and I mean that in a positive way.  They put on a good show.  The other two bands were basically generic emo bands.  Dommin did nothing for me whatsoever, but I applaud them for putting on a high energy show.  I hated absolutely everything about Kill Hanna.  Well, their drummer was entertaining to watch.  But otherwise, even though I will almost always stretch to try to find something positive to say, I found nothing redeeming about these guys whatsoever.  And their whole attitude and persona were so offputting that, along with the music being so bad, I just can't find anything good to say.  Worst live music I have ever witnessed in my life in any genre, and that includes amateur acts and rap music.  I feel that I owe my ears an apology for making them witness this act.  Anyhow, on to the headliner.

First off, I can't imagine being in a better spot.  Personally, I like getting as close to the stage as possible at a lot of shows.  Sometimes I don't if there is going to be a super wild pit because, while I like to get into the show and jump around a bit, I also want to actually be able to see and enjoy the show.  The crowd in this place, honestly, was great.  They were super into the show without getting nuts.  This enabled us to get right in the very front.  We were right up against the stage, slightly to the right of center (which ended up being directly in front of Andrea and about 3-5 feet to the right of Christina for most of the set).  The set list was directly in front of me:

Good set list.  I don't know that I could have picked a much better one if I got to hand pick every song myself.  

As I mentioned above, the performance was really tight, the band was energetic, and they all really seemed to be having a great time.  There was a lot of handslapping with Andrea, and the other band members moved around the stage quite a bit and gave us some attention as well.  Maus was the only one who didn't really move.  He stayed over at stage right the entire night, so we didn't have any interaction with him at all.

Again, it was super cool being right up front.  Not only were the views great, but we just felt so much like part of the show.  At one point, Make was standing right over me, one foot propped up on the monitors in front of us, chugging away on the bass.  I mouthed the word "pick" and made a picking motion with my hand, obviously asking whether I could have a bass pick.  He winked and nodded, and then kept playing.  I figured he was going to finish the song, and possibly give me the pick he had.  Toward the end of the song, he went back to his side of the stage, and then came back over to my side with a handful of picks after the song ended.  He walked over to me and put one right in my hand before tossing the rest out to the crowd.   :tup

There was another cool moment later in the show where Christina was thanking the audience for supporting them and for coming out and seeing them.  After the cheering from the audience died down, I screamed as loud as I could, "Thank you for coming to America!"  I wasn't sure my voice would carry loud enough for them to hear, but apparently, I did it at just the right moment and was louder than I thought, because she looked right at me, said "you're very welcome," and then came over and gave me a big high five after introducing and beginning the next song.  

Lots of other cool moments as well, but I'll only mention on other one.  I really wanted to get one of Criz's drum sticks.  I was hoping to have caught him outside the venue with the others before the show, and I was going to just ask him for one (or a pair).  Unfortunately, after we were done talking to Andrea, Maki, and Chris, he had apparently finished his phone call and went back inside.  But at the end of the show, he began walking from the left side of the stage to our side, tossing out sticks.  His second to last one went way over my head, and there was no way I could grab it.  He was walking past, going to throw the last one over to the right side of the stage when I screamed his name as loud as I could and waved for him to toss it my way.  He stopped, looked at me and smiled, and then tossed it high in the air directly over me.  All kinds of hands went up, and I jumped like Kobe going for a rebound, and managed to snag it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:45:55 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Lacuna Coil 7/25/09
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »
Well, I'm not familiar with any of those bands, but it sounds like you had a great time.

:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
Very cool recap.  I'm a big Type O fan so I follow the stuff that the band members do and Kenny and Johnny's 7th Void album is really good.  Glad u kind of liked them.

Wish Lacuna would come around my area, would definitely like to see them live.
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Yeah, they weren't bad at all.  I didn't notice during their set, but apparently, Lacuna's crew had been messing with them, so they decided to mess with Lacuna during their set.  I can't remember what song it was, but Kenny got on a moving dolly, and Johnny was pushing him accross the stage while he "surfed."  Christina was totally into her singing until he was right behind her and she realized there was some sort of commotion.  She started laughing while trying to sing her lines, and then went over and danced with him as he was being pushed off the other side of the stage. 

A few moments later, he came running back out and stage dove.  It made things interesting, to say the least.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Well now I regret not going when they were in Portland. I didn't go because me and my friend who were interested didn't want to have to sit through Kill Hanna.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
I didn't go because me and my friend who were interested didn't want to have to sit through Kill Hanna.

Yeah, that was painful.  Literally, since I stood there front row and my knees ached.  But once Lacuna Coil took the stage, it was a great payoff after having to stand through that hideous set by Kill Hanna.  They should kill off the band.

The drummer was pretty good, and the lead guitarist could play, but the songs...ugh.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
I am kinda dissapointed of their last albums. Especially after Comalies  :-\ But as a person who saw them live! Great indeed.  :tup

And this setlist killer, glad you have a great time  :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »
Heh.  Just saw the video for I Like It.

https://www.emptyspiral.net/ilikeit.html

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »
Ah wonderful set indeed. I saw them in Sparks a couple of years ago. They are quite an amazing live band. I don't like Shallow Life but Comalies and Karmacode were a big part of my musical life when I was developing my interests. My aunt and uncle really like them and I got my dad into them. I also saw them at Ozzfest 2006.

Glad you made it that concert and got such an interactive experience with them.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
I think lacuna coil forgot they created two albums called in a reverie and unleashed memories

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »
I think lacuna coil forgot they created two albums called in a reverie and unleashed memories

Yeah, that really has been a complaint of mine.  The last two times I saw them (June 1, 2006, and now, July 25, 2009), they played 75 minute headline sets.  I realize that in order to tour, the promoters essentially need a package of bands that will draw some people, but come on.  We didn't need three openers.

You could have tossed Dommin right out the window and given those 30 minutes to Lacuna to do a true headline set...giving them opportunity to play some of the cuts off their first few records.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
It's great to see the band enjoying themselves, despite my ahem.. feelings towards their latest two albums. But hey, they are still enjoying it, and I definitely enjoy aspects of their new albums at times.

edit: however, that music video for I like It did make me chuckle  :lol

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »

Yeah, that really has been a complaint of mine.  The last two times I saw them (June 1, 2006, and now, July 25, 2009), they played 75 minute headline sets.  I realize that in order to tour, the promoters essentially need a package of bands that will draw some people, but come on.  We didn't need three openers.

You could have tossed Dommin right out the window and given those 30 minutes to Lacuna to do a true headline set...giving them opportunity to play some of the cuts off their first few records.

all bands need is one or two openers. that way the headliner gets longer

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
two songs a night from in a reverie and unleashed memories is all i ask.

Offline faemir

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
I'm posting this image for two reasons. 1) you double posted 2) it's funny and I needed an excuse

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
Damn Bosk, that sounds like you had a great time! I saw Lacuna Coil back in Ozzfest 06 or 07, I forgot which, and they put on a very good show. I did the same thing you did when Cristina was thanking the crowd, except I yelled it in Italian. Luckily, she heard and I got a wink and a high five. I melted on the spot, man. You have no idea now big of a crush I had on her at the time. Highlight of the day haha

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »
Yeah, it really was great.  They have got to be one of the most "friendly" bands out there, whether they are interacting with fans offstage, or even during the show for that matter.  That, to me, just makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable and memorable.

Offline faemir

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 12:17:51 PM »
@bosk1 what is your opinion on the latest two albums anyway? (and perhaps equally, their older stuff?)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
I don't have the first album or the EP.  The first album I got from them was Comalies, and I love it.  Not flawless, but a really solid album.  My favorites are Swamped, Daylight Dancer (which is good live, but isn't as good as I thought it would be), and Tight Rope.

Karmacode has some truly brilliant moments, but doesn't feel like a strong album.  I like the added heaviness.  And the songs are catchy.  The only problem is, about half way through the album, it just feels so samey and doesn't go anywhere else that it loses steam.  I still have a problem remembering the names of the songs, if that is any indication.  So, in short, really REALLY good songs, but too samey and not enough variety across the album.  The songs that are in regular rotation in their live sets come across as some of their most fun in a live setting.  But the Depeche Mode cover bores me to tears.  I was initially really excited that they did a metal cover of a DM song.  But after a few listens, I quickly tired of it when I realized it isn't that metalled up at all, and that they don't really take the song anywhere new.

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was for the new album after hearing Spellbound.  Such a good song!  The problem is that it is, by far, the strongest track on the album.  There are some other shining moments, and little on it that I would classify as "bad."  But it is a lot more "pop" or "alternative rock" than I was hoping for.  But after seeing them live, as I suspected, the songs sound heavier live and are a lot of fun.  Not a bad album, but I felt it was a step backward in musicianship in exchange for a step forward in commercial accessibility. 

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
The thing about the new album is the songs are just too damn short for Lacuna Coil's style. Their kind of songs need length to fully develop and the title track is the longest song at a scant 4 minutes. A good portion of the songs seem rushed, I think that's the main problem that us old school fans have. The band seem to have taken a more mainstream path with Karmacode and follow it even more with Shallow Life. While that's not always a bad thing to take a more mainstream path (though it's percieved that "going mainstream" is bad by most fans of music) it simply doesn't fit Lacuna Coil.

Oh and Bosk, you have to get Unleashed Memories. It's definitely better than the last two albums. To Live Is To Hide and Senzafine are among my favorite Lacuna Coil songs.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:56:58 PM by Zeltar »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  The single biggest problem with the band's current direction is that it is not likely to lead to Christina marrying me anytime soon.  But the second single biggest problem is probably what you said.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 01:05:39 PM »
 :lol Dude, we can dream.

You know what I have to do? Meet her after one of the shows and have a full conversation with her in Italian. That will most likely get me on her good side and hell, she might even remember me as that kid with the poofy hair that can speak Italian. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
I don't speak Italian.  But luckily, I speak the international language of...\m/

EDIT:  By the way, why didn't you go to the show at Slim's last night?

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
 :metal :metal

I really wanted to go but I'm grounded for the rest of the summer. The only concert I'm allowed to go to until the end of the summer is Dream Theater, and that's only because my dad's going like usual. If it weren't for that, I definitely wouldn't have gone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 01:24:08 PM »
Bummer.  But I'm sure you deserved it, so...  :p

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
Yeah I did deserve it, the reason I got grounded was out of pure carelessness. :sadpanda:

So are you gonna pick up Unleashed Memories any time soon?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
Most likely.  But given that I have a large amount of money I need to spend on Ytsejam releases, it may end up getting put off a while.  Depends on how much money I can raise on Ebay in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »
Bummer.  But I'm sure you deserved it, so...  :p

:lol Yeah he deserved it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »
Oh alright well when you do pick it up I'm sure you'll love it. It's their most melodic album, the heaviness of their later stuff is present in only a few of the songs. And the re-issue has Italian versions of Senzafine, Halflife, and 3 other songs which make those songs like, 20 times more badass. :metal

Offline faemir

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
Oh alright well when you do pick it up I'm sure you'll love it. It's their most melodic album, the heaviness of their later stuff is present in only a few of the songs. And the re-issue has Italian versions of Senzafine, Halflife, and 3 other songs which make those songs like, 20 times more badass. :metal

You speak so much truth in this thread it's scary. :tup

Offline Mr. Mackwo

• Original Dt.org follower, now new DT.org member!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »
Thanks Bosk, for an excellent review.  I'm glad you had a good time. I've been wanting to see them live for awhile and seeing how energetic you say they are, it should be fun!  :metal Oh and I noticed that the song "Our Truth" was the closing song. Any reason they played it last? is that considered to be their most popular song? Anyways thanks again!  ;D

-Mackwo
SO SAY WE ALL!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »
Heaven's A Lie is probably their biggest, most classic song.  But Our Truth was the big single from the last album and was a good closer on the last tour, so it looks like they've just carried that forward.  And it makes more sense to have that as a closer than Heaven's A Lie, since it has a more aggressive tempo.  A slower mid-tempo song to close out a show doesn't really end the show on a big enough note, IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »

Picked up the reissue that includes the Halflife EP demos on it.  I like.  I'm surprised at how metal this is.  For some reason, I thought they were going to be a lot more goth sounding on the earlier stuff and a lot less metal.  This is really good.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »

I saw Lacuna Coil with Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, and Disturbed. I thought they were the worst act. They were just not into it. Plus, she kept saying the city's name wrong, which pissed me off, and the other acts were awesome.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:41:17 AM by 73109 »

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

I saw Lacuna Coil with Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, and Disturbed. I thought they were the worst act. They were just not into it. Plus, she kept saying the city's name wrong, which pissed me off, and the other acts were awesome.

My best friend went to Music As A Weapon 4 and he thought Lacuna Coil just didn't have enough time to play. I heard they only had 25 minutes which i just think is BS. That's probably why they were a disappointment.
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes