Author Topic: Who should be my 2000th artist?  (Read 7485 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Who should be my 2000th artist?
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
I was going to investigate, but when last.fm lists the very first genre as "post-rock", I'm reminded of how I kicked off my first roulette.... "don't expect to get much love from death metal, electronica or any genre requiring "post" or "core" in its name" :lol

Weather Systems is so heavily influenced by post-rock I sometimes recommend post-metal-lite bands to people who like Anathema :corn
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
Are you familiar with Krokus? If not try "Screaming in the Night" or "Night Wolf"

The only thing I know of them is their Ballroom Blitz cover.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »
If you scrobbled 2000 artists on your own, without a need for a recommendation, why do you need one now? It is just a number anyway. I'd say keep doing what you did.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
It's a fun way to get recommendations.   Something you might not find out there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
Leather Heart https://youtu.be/ejXx78oiSc0

*clicks* .... Me likey

If you scrobbled 2000 artists on your own, without a need for a recommendation, why do you need one now? It is just a number anyway. I'd say keep doing what you did.

Actually, MANY of those 1,987 (ooohhh... nugget!) came from recommendations from someone - a metric shit ton from DTF'rs.  Sometimes I like to get advice from friends.  Guess that seems strange to some.

:dunno:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
  - a metric shit ton from DTF'rs.  Sometimes I like to get advice from friends. 

There is no place like DTF. I'm thankful everyday for it.

When it comes to discovering music, I think it's a great place to be. Everyone that I generally consider my DTF friends, and even those who aren't have each turned me on to something along the way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:47:00 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »
I know right?  Stuff like this is the reason I have the quote that I do in my signature

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
I fucking knew it!

Asshole. I take all that nice stuff I said back! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
I fucking knew it!

Asshole. I take all that nice stuff I said back! :lol

:footloose:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
Oh, I saw it coming, but I clicked anyway.

Is nothing sacred? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2017, 08:05:01 PM »
Just be happy the Sexy Kip pick you so love was not posted. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
We're probably safe as long as Wolfking doesn't see this thread.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
 :lol

I'm interested in Chad's pic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:13:54 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Who should be my 1000th artist?
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2017, 10:00:21 PM »
No, I've just never them, but I've seen them mentioned around here. So I was curious.  :)

Yeah but then you accidentally the whole thing you dumbfuck

Offline Lethean

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2017, 12:29:59 AM »
So I'm new here (posted in the beginning of the year but then mostly stayed away to avoid the "beyond" spoilers from the I&W tour), but this thread looked interesting so I checked it out.  Could it be that you have never scrobbled Katatonia?  I would highly recommend them as your 2000th artist.  I would go with the latest album, The Fall of Hearts, just because they have such a large discography that it might be better to jump in with where they are now and then if you like them, work backwards.  It's also arguably the proggiest.  On the other hand, The Fall of Hearts perhaps requires more time to get into than some of their more immediate stuff, so I could point you to some popular tracks instead - Forsaker, July, My Twin, Lethean, Leaders, Evidence, Buildings, Criminals, Day and Then the Shade, Soil's Song, etc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »
I've sampled some Katatonia over the years, and what I did hear/listen to just didn't float my boat.  I could try to revisit.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I started going through that list but since there doesn't seem to be a way to order that alphabetically I'll keep suggesting without checking. Have you listened to Sound of Contact? They have only 1 record so far but it's a good one

Yup... I've got a couple of their songs on a sampler CD.  Pale Blue Dot is a great song.

My favorite from them.

How about junius? Days of the fallen sun might be your cup of tea

I was going to investigate, but when last.fm lists the very first genre as "post-rock", I'm reminded of how I kicked off my first roulette.... "don't expect to get much love from death metal, electronica or any genre requiring "post" or "core" in its name" :lol

still will investigate

Yeah, do that, don't get distracted by the post whatever you might find there because this doesn't sound like the post-rock post- metal that I've listened to.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
Since Train of Naught isn't in this thread, I will recommend this band instead.

Chad, try the band called Artificial Language. They released their debut album this year, and Train recommended it to me, and I've been listening to it for five days like non-stop.

Artificial Language - The Observer

Give the first three tracks (the very first one is a brief intro) a try, it'll give you a pretty good picture of the album and if it's up your alley or not. The album itself is quite short, it's like 40 minutes long.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
another band to consider is Kobra and the Lotus.  They have a new album out titled Prevail I.  I've really liked what I've heard.

bonus points because they are Canadian.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »
And it doesn't hurt that Paige is smokin hawt.  I've listened to the singles that came out just ahead of the album, and liked them well enough ... just some oooomph missing from Paige's delivery.