Author Topic: What made you become a member at DTF?  (Read 3607 times)

Offline mellotron_scratch

Re: What made you become a member at DTF?
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 05:09:31 AM »
I like message boards, and I was just getting into DT so I checked to see if they had one. They did.
That's it.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me too.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »
I became a DT fan in 2005. Used to go in the old chat room on DT.net, and eventually in 09 I found the forums. I came here to spread my happiness and cheer with all who breathe!
:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
YesFans used to be much, much cooler, like five or six years ago.  But a bunch of the really cool people left, and some of the more dickish people have relentlessly stayed on.  There's still some cool people left, but it's not like it used to be.  It didn't help that Yes took a huge break, and after going years without any new music to dissect, it did get boring, which is why so many people left.

Plus the forum itself is such a trainwreck. There are billions of subforums, it's impossible to follow anything.

That's a valid complaint, and I agree with it, but what I've discovered is that it doesn't matter past the first day.

With any forums, my starting point is the Control Panel (here at DTF it's "Show new replies to your posts").  First thing I'm interested in is the threads I'm following, and there they all are.  After that, I use New Posts ("Show unread posts since last visit") to see what's been posted lately.  Doesn't matter what subforum they're in; there they all are.  I prefer forum software that lets you "subscribe" to a thread without posting in it, but if they don't support that (such as right here at DTF), I post something, just so it will show up in my CP from that point on.

So once you've done the initial scan of whatever forums and subforums you might be interested in (which is admittedly a pain but it's just a one-time thing), the internal structure of the forums themselves doesn't matter.  Just start with your CP and check "New Posts" and you don't miss anything.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »

With any forums, my starting point is the Control Panel (here at DTF it's "Show new replies to your posts").  First thing I'm interested in is the threads I'm following, and there they all are.  After that, I use New Posts ("Show unread posts since last visit") to see what's been posted lately.  Doesn't matter what subforum they're in; there they all are.  I prefer forum software that lets you "subscribe" to a thread without posting in it, but if they don't support that (such as right here at DTF), I post something, just so it will show up in my CP from that point on.

I have never used any of those options.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
I'd been lurking for a while and wanted to talk about On The Backs Of Angels when it was released, so I finally became a member. Had been lurking for a couple years on and off, though fairly regularly after MP left the band.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
I discovered the site after MP left, I was looking for info and this site popped up on Google. Now I'm not able to leave now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »

I have never used any of those options.

It just seems the most efficient to me.  Why navigate through several subforums when a single click gets you all the threads you're following, or anything new that anyone has posted?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
One look into bosk1's dark eyes and I was his for the taking.

You are one of many.

My story is, after LSFNY came out, I was on DT.net a few times browsing the forums and the merch pages to try to snag one of the "sold out" tour soccer jersies.  I kept checking back to see if they got more of the jersies in stock, but they never did.  On a whim, I called the customer service number, and the woman I spoke to said she actually had one single one left that was sitting in a box, and she would be happy to send it to me.  A friend of mine's son had just started to REALLY get into DT at the time, and he was there when I made the call.  He was really disappointed that they only had one shirt left, so when it came, I decided to give it to him.  Anyway, my trips to the site got me lurking on the forum, and I eventually signed up sometime during the SDOIT cycle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
I was looking for the album art for DT12 (as if I would have found it anywhere) and stumbled upon this thread on google: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35334.0

I instantly registered, and waited for a couple of weeks before I finally was let in.

Then I made this: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35334.msg1561676#msg1561676

This: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35334.msg1578299#msg1578299

and this: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35334.msg1581816#msg1581816

While commenting on the in-studio thread throughout
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
Er, well, I hate to admit this, but it's the truth.  I was a pretty regular member over at MP.com.  But a couple of years ago I really fucked up.  I hadn't had a drink of alcohol in quite a long time, but I relapsed.  It was a long, slow slide that, like a snowball going down a hill, went faster and faster and got bigger and bigger and....well, let's just say I made a complete asshole of myself, burned a really good burgeoning friendship with someone over there and ended up getting (deservedly, I must admit) banned in the process.  I suppose in some ways it was actually a good thing because not too long after that I got my head out of my ass and hopped back on the wagon where I've been ever since.

Anyway, I had been a member here for a while, but hadn't posted much.  I was a member at the old DT.net back in the day, but never posted much over there either.  When I got the bum's rush from the purple place, and after the dust had settled a bit, I started poking around here a bit more and took a liking to the folks here.  And that's how it happened that I ended up here.   I think when I first came here a lot of people thought I was just here to pimp my band, but I really was looking for a fresh start somewhere and I'm glad it worked out.  Good group of people here.   :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
FWIW, I didn't think you were here to pimp the band.  I have lurked on MP.com and Neal Morse's board forever, but rarely post.  I kind of knew you from both places.  When you started posting here, I figured, "well, it's about time."  :lol  I think my last time posting on Neal's forum was about the time we did the TransImperial forums April Fools prank just before TA did the Whirlwind tour.  Wish you could have seen that--it was truly epic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
I originally was a member at DT.net not sure of the year maybe 2001/2001. I then joined MP.com due to a friend and I posted some over there, but none after the MP drama. I just didn't feel comfortable over there either. I came here after I got out of rehab. I had another good friend here KNH and soon came good friends with lonestar. It just feels more like people care here then at MP.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
I don't even like DT but i had a PC and Internet... so, what the fuck!

But really it was to chat with like-minded people and learn stuff i didn't know about DT

Offline adameastment

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
I googled Dream Theater forums after I bought some tickets to the 2011 gig in Leeds. Found it's an alright site, so stayed.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »
The Devil made me do it  :metal

But seriously, I'm a fan since I&W but back then we had no internet. Much later I would only visit the official site looking for news. I stumbled upon DTF when Mike Portnoy quit and I googled for more information. Then I lurked for some time an finally decided to join about a year ago. That's all there is.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
I had lost contact with DT pretty much between '98 and '04 (got married, had kids).  Got reconnected late in '04 when I stumbled upon info on a new release coming up.  Found dt.net, and posted there for a bit.  Wasn't involved enough to know about the drama between here and 5/8 group.  I knew the board was shut down, but didn't take too much note of it.  When dtf.org came online, I was in like Flynn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
Dream Theater was my obsession at the time, so I joined up.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
I was in some boring French lesson. And then I started browsing the internet secretly on my phone. I was looking up a countdown for best Dream Theater songs. Why? Idk. Then I discovered this badass site. I joined. And that's how it started. I love this fucking site.  :)

I wanna hump this forum and start getting emotional.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
I know Bosk1 AFK, and he had introduced me to SDOIT and Awake (The former hooked me, the latter took some time).  We then went to a DT show in SF for the ToT tour, and I became a lurker on DT.net for a couple years, checking in every once in awhile. Since 8V was released, I've started spending more time here. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
We then went to a DT show in SF for the ToT tour 

For some reason, when I think back to that show, I keep forgetting it was you and thinking it was Travis.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »

For some reason, when I think back to that show, I keep forgetting it was you and thinking it was Travis.

??? :'(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »

??? :'(

I think it's because you white people all look the same.  :neverusethis:

...or it's just that I went to 3 DT shows with Travis in years prior to that, and I just have memories of that time period of what a huge DT fanatic he was back then.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
ITT: bosk calls FW another man's name during sex.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
I was a fan of Dream Theater, but I actually joined the forum because of how impressed I was of the General Music section and how wide a variety there was on bands discussed. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »
ITT: bosk calls FW another man's name during sex.

Oh yeah, right, like YOU'VE never...uh...yeah...    :blush

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
"Jerry" and "Gerald" are similar enough. Just be glad I sprang for the Golden Corral.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
I sprang for the Golden Corral.

Which shocked me, because I've been raised to believe that the man usually pays.  But, hey, I'm always open to new ideas.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
I sprang for the Golden Corral.

Which shocked me, because I've been raised to believe that the man usually pays.  But, hey, I'm always open to new ideas.

Yes you were...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
 :corn

I always did like to watch...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
:obscure:

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
DTF was actually the first big international forum that I registered on that wasn't a Swedish-site, and the first band/music-related forum I became a member on. It was a big deal for me then, and I was a huge fan of DT, and wanted to share my love for them with other people.

Over the years I feel like I have changed a lot as a person, but this place is still cool, and I still like posting here, despite not being as much into DT as I used to. I feel like I started out as a very immature troll on this forum, which gave a lot of people a very negative view of me, as a person who tried to get people react by stating shocking things, trolling and so on. There might still be people who look at me like that, so in that sense I really regret not being more mature when I made my account here (and for the first 1-2 years), but I feel like I have changed for the better over the years, and I still like a lot of the people here.

Despite popular belief, I still enjoy what I consider to be the best DT-albums; SFAM, Awake and 6DOIT. They are all great albums to me, and I still think they are pretty sweet. There are also albums in their discography that I don't really like at all, but I can still talk about DT in a positive way, just based on the great albums alone.

Offline jsem

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
Dream Theater was my obsession at the time, so I joined up.