Poll

What would you do in this situation?

Respond to the text messages right then and there
28 (51.9%)
Vacate the spot immediately so they can have the spot and reply to the texts later
23 (42.6%)
(FAIL OPTION) Vacate the spot immediately and reply to the texts while driving
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: June 29, 2013, 08:59:22 AM

Author Topic: What would you do in this situation?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What would you do in this situation?
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:22 AM »
You are getting in your car in a somewhat-crowded parking lot.  Your car is in one of the closest spots to the front, but there are several spaces available four or five spots back, and then a bunch available a bit further back.  You get in your car to leave, but realize that you have a handful of text messages, several of which you want to reply to immediately, as you'll be on the road for a little bit as soon as you start driving.  But there is a car waiting for you to pull out since that person wants your spot.  What do you do?  See the poll options.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: What would you do in this situation?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
I would probably vacate the space and go park in one of the spaces farther back to respond.  Combination of 1 and 2, I guess.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
I'd stay in my car. The vultures can park elsewhere.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
If it were to only spot I'd vacate but with your description, with all those other parking spots I'd text.  What's 10 to 15 feet?  This coming from a fat guy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
If it were to only spot I'd vacate but with your description, with all those other parking spots I'd text.  What's 10 to 15 feet?  This coming from a fat guy.

As usual, The King knows his shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
I would probably vacate the space and go park in one of the spaces farther back to respond.  Combination of 1 and 2, I guess.

That's what I would do, as well.  I chose the second option.  People in real life always trump people on the phone.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
Yeah, easily the Big Hath option. I'm pretty slow at typing into my phone, and I don't like being an inconvenience. I therefore didn't vote, as none of the options fit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »
If it were to only spot I'd vacate but with your description, with all those other parking spots I'd text.  What's 10 to 15 feet?   

This, exactly.  And it is what I did yesterday when this situation happened.  Like you said, had the parking lot been packed, no way would I have sat there and texted for five minutes while hogging the spot, but with spots all over the place, it ain't gonna kill someone to walk an extra 20 feet or so.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
It depends what kind of mood I'm in but honestly, is it going to kill people to park a few spaces father out and walk a few extra feet? I never care how far out I park. Not a big deal. My wife always tries to find a close spot and I'm like, just park already.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
It depends on exactly how urgent the text messages are. Family or friend emergency? People can wait. If someone wants to know what I'm doing or when I'm free, THEY can wait.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »
That's what cracks me up about some people: they'll sit there for two minutes waiting for a spot when there is one available two spots further away.  In that time they sat there waiting, they could have parked and been inside already. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
I would have sat there and finished up what you were doing. In my mind when I am looking for a parking spot I don't even consider the fact that someone might be leaving until see the reverse lights pop on
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »
I would have sat there and finished up what you were doing. In my mind when I am looking for a parking spot I don't even consider the fact that someone might be leaving until see the reverse lights pop on
Exactly. If you are sitting waiting for someone to leave just because they are in the vehicle that's your problem. As King said, if their are no other spots available you may feel more like you should move on. If their are plenty of spots then whatever, go grab one.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
I don't really like texting that much, but I had a parking spot and a phone, so what the fuck?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »
If it were to only spot I'd vacate but with your description, with all those other parking spots I'd text.  What's 10 to 15 feet?   

This, exactly.  And it is what I did yesterday when this situation happened.  Like you said, had the parking lot been packed, no way would I have sat there and texted for five minutes while hogging the spot, but with spots all over the place, it ain't gonna kill someone to walk an extra 20 feet or so.
A minor point of consideration is that often times in that situation a person can't back up because there are others behind him. That's what frustrates me the most about parking. Getting stuck between the guy who waits five minutes to park his fat ass 20' closer, and the long line of cars behind me, stuck just the same.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »
For me, I try to get get close the the cart return, (not right next to it) so I can return my cart without walking a mile.  I never look for that close spot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sueño

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
It depends on exactly how urgent the text messages are. Family or friend emergency? People can wait. If someone wants to know what I'm doing or when I'm free, THEY can wait.

I always feel that the person who sent texts already know they must wait until I can respond.  If the response time wasn't immediate, they should understand I am otherwise occupied.  I still regard my phone as MY convenience, not others'.

I cannot think what would make me stay in a parking space someone was waiting for.  I enjoyed the close spot, why shouldn't someone else?

I normally check my phone before leaving the building i'm in and reply there, if necessary.  Once I'm in my car, it is time to move on,
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
If I see someone behind me waiting to get into a parking space, I'd probably pull out, then drive out to where I wouldn't be in the way, park, and respond to the texts then.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
I don't really like texting that much, but I had a parking spot and a phone, so what the fuck?

:slowclap:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
:tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
If I see someone behind me waiting to get into a parking space, I'd probably pull out, then drive out to where I wouldn't be in the way, park, and respond to the texts then.

This.  I hate it when I see someone get into their car and I think they're going to leave.  No, they're not under any obligation to leave right away.  It's completely my fault that I got my own hopes up.  But I still hate it, so I try not to do it to other people.

Offline sueño

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

This.  I hate it when I see someone get into their car and I think they're going to leave.  No, they're not under any obligation to leave right away.  It's completely my fault that I got my own hopes up.  But I still hate it, so I try not to do it to other people.

Yes.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
:tup

Yeah, this is what I've done.....seems like the best choice.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
A minor point of consideration is that often times in that situation a person can't back up because there are others behind him. That's what frustrates me the most about parking. Getting stuck between the guy who waits five minutes to park his fat ass 20' closer, and the long line of cars behind me, stuck just the same.

Oh, I agree.  In those cases, I get in my car and get out of there as quickly as possible.  This was not one of those cases. :lol  There were no other cars in the lane, so that car was able to swoop around and park somewhere else pretty quickly (which they did). 

I always feel that the person who sent texts already know they must wait until I can respond.  If the response time wasn't immediate, they should understand I am otherwise occupied.  I still regard my phone as MY convenience, not others'.

I couldn't agree more.  Anyone who knows me knows that when they text me, they might get a reply within minutes or several hours later; it really varies.  I would normally, like you, check my cell before even getting to my car, but I had went to the gym and left it in the car during my workout (in the counsel in the middle where no one could see it; I am not that dumb :lol), so I didn't see I had texts until I got back in my car.

Offline sueño

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
:)  It's all not that serious to me.  Not that long ago, you had to wait til someone got home to get a response.  Folks need to chill...and let me get out of the parking space.   ;)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:14 AM »
As others have said, people know that I put my phone way down my list of priorities. Unless it's work related or otherwise pertinent, I might not respond for hours on end, or sometimes even at all that day and just give 'em a call the next morning. So usually in that situation I'd just wait it out till I got to a red light and/or wherever I'm going. If it's really important and demands immediate response, however, those fuckers can wait. Chances are that they'd not give two shits about my time if the situation were reversed.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »

Sorry Floyd. No I'm not. Muahahahahahahaha

Offline Ruba

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 05:00:05 AM »
The second. People probably won't mind, if you respond to messages later. The guy in the other car will get mad if you don't leave.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:44 AM »
Big Hath
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
I try my best to go through life treating others as I would like to be treated.  I'm not always successful, but I do always try.  With that said, I would just pull out of the spot and move somewhere else to reply to the text messages.  No text message is that important that it can't wait thirty seconds while I move my car for someone else to have the space I'm in.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 06:21:38 AM »
I try my best to go through life treating others as I would like to be treated.  I'm not always successful, but I do always try.  With that said, I would just pull out of the spot and move somewhere else to reply to the text messages.  No text message is that important that it can't wait thirty seconds while I move my car for someone else to have the space I'm in.

Similarly, no parking spot is so important that people could go another 20 feet to take the next one.  If there were no other spots (like my local Costco, at all hours of the day), I'd be courteous and pull out and pullover somewhere else to respond (as per Big Hath).  In the situation Kev describes, I wouldn't feel the need to inconvenience myself for the convenience of a random stranger.  Granted, the inconvenience is minor, but so too is taking the next available spot down.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »
Yeah, I think people are missing the fact that there are parking spots all over the the place 15 to 20 feet away.  Waiting for a spot while there are other spots to park is just as ignorant as ignoring a person that wants your stop if that's the only space while texting. 

Like I said if that was the only spot I would pull out right away but not if there were many available spots to park.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
They have no right to the spot, and they shouldn't assume you're leaving just because you got into the car. As you said, there were plenty of other spaces. I would respond before leaving.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
My exact same feeling. The way people get possessive about parking spots is unreal. I once had a grown man scream at and threaten me in front of his daughter because I pulled into a spot he was supposedly waiting for. Meanwhile there were plenty of other open spots around the parking lot.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »

This.