Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112786 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Will this become a league-wide tactic, the next 'Hack-a-Shaq?'

SAUNA A LEBRONA?

:rollin
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Syzzle

In the last year the two-time defending champion Miami Heat have overtaken the Los Angeles Lakers as America's favorite NBA team, according to an ESPN Sports Poll.

The poll was administered over a 12-month period that ended in March. It tracks fan base sizes and fan base demographics for all major sports through a monthly telephone survey of 1,500 Americans ages 12 and older.

Overall, the poll shows that the Heat rank sixth overall among America's favorite teams -- three spots ahead of the Lakers. While Miami is pursuing a three-peat as NBA champion this month in the NBA Finals, the Lakers were 27-55 this season, the worst 82-game record in the history of the franchise.

The Dallas Cowboys are the polled fans' favorite sports team, and three other NFL teams are in the top five -- the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 2, the Green Bay Packers at No. 3 and the Denver Broncos at No. 5. The New York Yankees are fourth in the poll.

The ESPN Sports Poll's 12-month findings also showed that the NFL is America's favorite sports league and accounted for 40 percent of the top 10 favorite athletes of fans polled. Overall, seven of America's 10 favorite sports teams are NFL teams.

:hat

Offline Azyiu

Seriously, I think we ought to switch the focus from LeBroning back to the series for Game 2 tonight.

For the Heat, I think LBJ will bounce back, but will D-Wade (knee) and Lewis (yes, Lewis instead of Bosh) put up the same type of production? In game 1, aside from Allen, the Heat bench scored only 4 total points! If they carry on like that in game 2, combining that with Lewis or Wade having a so-so night, the Heat can be in for a long evening. I think the Heat are just feeling too comfortable with their small lineup. They really need to consider playing Haslem and Andersen together to force the Spurs' big further away from the paint, or at least try to.

As for the Spurs, Diaw will still be the key guy behind Parker. Hardly anyone talked about it, but Diaw handed out 6 assists in game 1; and many of them were GREAT passes for TD! Diaw is a very good passer, and if the Heat can't make it hard for him to see the court with even rotation, good luck. Manu and Green are the biggest question marks for the Spurs. As we've seen, they both are capable of having a terrible night after a great game. So let's see what happen tonight.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
For Miami, Chalmers needs to step up. I also think Bosh is more of an X-factor than Wade is at this point, because there's no big presence in the paint for Miami.

Kawhi Leonard needs to play well for the Spurs. He only had 9 pts, and 7 of those were in the second half. All 4 of his turnovers led to fastbreak points for Miami, so he needs to take care of the ball better. Timmy too, which he had 5.

In fact, the Spurs do not need to have 23 TOs. Ever. Especially against Miami.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Wouldn't it be cool if Oden could play well? Maybe he can, I've hardly seen him play besides against Indiana.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Great flopping there Chalmers. Absolutely embarrassing that the refs let players get away with ridiculous stuff like that.
EDIT: Followed by some fabulous flopping by Dwayne Wade. Unbefuckinglievable. The Heat are a joke.

The Heat are acting ridiculous with all the flopping, Chalmers did it again near the end of the half, just play the damn game, ya know, like the Spurs do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:13:55 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Syzzle

Please players have been flopping since the 80's only reason anyone cares about it now is because of social media bringing more attention to it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Well I actually care because it seriously detracts from the game and makes it much less fun to watch, especially when obvious flopping gets non existent fouls called on the other team., but you keep thinking that man.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:35:11 PM by Dark Castle »

• DT.net Member
Nah, Syzzle's right. Also, the Spurs used to get a ridiculous amout of calls because of Ginobili's flopping so they might be getting some karma payback.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
So because Social Media brings more attention to it, it's still fine and we should just accept it because hey it's always happened?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I guess. It doesn't really bother me, it happens, so I got used to it. But I understand what you mean.

• DT.net Member
So because Social Media brings more attention to it, it's still fine and we should just accept it because hey it's always happened?

No, but it's the refs'/league's fault, not the players'. If there's something you can do to improve your team's chances of winning, then it'd be foolish to not utilize it especially when the other team has the same ability to use it. I hate flopping but the burden of eliminating it lies solely on the league.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Nah, it isn't social media, people have turned into drama queens with flopping in the past five or so years all over the NBA because the refs let it go unless its stupidly, horribly bad. You see guys get elbowed lightly and fly fifteen feet like pro wrestling. Social media is just people complaining about how fucking horrible it's gotten league-wide. Cause it has.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Not a hard one to analyze.  Spurs made a couple huge mistakes.  Heat were great.  LeBron was great.

Onto game 3.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

• DT.net Member
Great finish by the Heat. I just wonder when they're gonna realize that it's better to risk having a 3-point shooter pump fake their way into an easy cut to the basket for just 2 points than it is to stay at home and give up 3 points cuz they were afraid to give up an easy 2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Social media, especially twitter, brings out the worst people and their most moronic opinions.

Offline Accelerando

Coach Pop on lack of ball movement:

"You move it or you die."

Well said. We did not move the ball well at all, and we made some critical mistakes. It was still a great game! I hope every game moving forward is just as competitive and fun

EDIT:

I ran to the restroom at one point, but I did not see that we missed 4 free throws in a row from Parker and then Duncan
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:58:30 PM by Accelerando »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That was the turning point.  Up 2, the flagrant foul gave Parker two FTs, which he missed, and then on the ensuing position, Duncan got fouled, and also missed both FTs.  Then the Heat came down and James nailed a 3. What could have been a 6-point lead became a 1-point deficit, just like that.

• DT.net Member
Yeah, the timing was bad, but I noticed numerous moments like that throughout the game. Just a game of hot potato, really, and it went the wrong way for them.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Both sides flopping aside, this game was close. Heat just took care of it at the end, Bosh is a fucking monster. I don't blame Parker for missing his FTs due to getting elbowed, but Duncan...sucks for him.

Offline Azyiu

The Spurs ain't too good in playing catch up in series. That's why I think for psychological reasons they must win game 3, or else they would always been playing catch up with the Heat; which is not an easy thing nor a good thing to do. Even they would admit they'd gotten lucky with the Mavs in the first round, after being down 1-2 after 3 games. The Heat are too good to let you take back a series lead, so do not expect to play catch up and beating them. In short, I might be jumping the gun here, but if the Spurs lose game 3, this series goes to the Heat!  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline senecadawg2

They obviously want to win game three, but I don't see why they cant win back to back in games four and five to retake the lead. I guess my biggest fear would be that they lose both three and four, but I think so long as they win one of them they'll be in a strong enough position to still win the series. Winning back to back games against the Heat is, admittedly, a lot easier said than done, but I believe they could pull it off should they lose on Tuesday
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I think it's important for the Heat to take Game 3 as well. They don't want to have to win on the road again, even though it's obviously something they're capable of.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Azyiu

The Spurs absolutely have to win Game 3! It is now a 5-game series, and three of the next 4 games are in Miami! Suddenly the odds don't look so good for the Spurs, if you ask me.  :hat
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:33:02 AM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
If they split the next two, the series will become a best of three with only one game in Miami.

The Spurs really want to win this game, but it's not the end of the series if they don't.  And if they do win, it's not like they have it wrapped up.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

If they split the next two, the series will become a best of three with only one game in Miami.

The Spurs really want to win this game, but it's not the end of the series if they don't.  And if they do win, it's not like they have it wrapped up.

True, but as good as the Spurs are, they ain't exactly a good come-from-behind team, agree?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I know what you're saying and don't totally disagree.  But we've seen what they can do.  Selling them short is a mistake.  I think everybody sold the Heat short last year.  Look how that series turned out.
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

In the Spurs series:

Lebron ON: 111.8 ORTG, 103.5 DRTG, +8.3 Net

Lebron OFF: 95.7 ORTG, 147.8 DRTG, -52.2 Net

+60.4 Net

:omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
His value to the team was never more obvious than it was at the end of that game.  If he's in there, does anyone really think Denny Green is that open to hit all of those 3s? 

It really is a shame that many people are so intent on hating the guy because of The Decision (something he has since acknowledged was a mistake) that they can't enjoy watching someone as great as him just play, especially when he's been a model citizen since coming into the league.  In this day and age of selfish athletes, a player as unselfish as James should not be getting as much hate as he does, but that's today's society for ya. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
His value to the team was never more obvious than it was at the end of that game.  If he's in there, does anyone really think Denny Green is that open to hit all of those 3s? 

It really is a shame that many people are so intent on hating the guy because of The Decision (something he has since acknowledged was a mistake) that they can't enjoy watching someone as great as him just play, especially when he's been a model citizen since coming into the league.  In this day and age of selfish athletes, a player as unselfish as James should not be getting as much hate as he does, but that's today's society for ya. 

It's legitimately depressing to think about. The dude hasn't had a moment's privacy since he was 15. Considering the worst thing he's been caught doing is a dumb TV special, there's really no reason to hate him, especially considering how much worse some athletes have done. People are morons.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
It's odd to me how people downplay The Decision.  He shit on city's chest on national television.

I'm willing to appreciate him as a basketball player.  I don't think he's a bad guy either.  But I think these things in spite of The Decision.  It feels to me like people saying it wasn't that bad have short memories.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Oh, he deserved all of the criticism he got for The Decision (for the way he did it, not for actually leaving Cleveland), but, like I said, he has since admitted that that was a mistake.  I thought this country loved for forgiveness, yet people hold on to that since it's all they got. 

Since people love the Jordan comparisons, can you imagine if Jordan had played in the social media era?  Between the repeated playoff losses to the Pistons before finally breaking through, the gambling, and the stories of him generally being an asshole, he would have been crucified probably worse than James is, yet many act like Jordan was this mythical god who could do no wrong.  It's comical.  But nostalgia can be a funny thing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Oh, he deserved all of the criticism he got for The Decision (for the way he did it, not for actually leaving Cleveland)

The bold is crucial.

I thought this country loved for forgiveness, yet people hold on to that since it's all they got.

That's interesting to think about.  Talking about LeBron specifically, there's a group of people that just hate him.  It's cheap ammo for them.

I wonder about America and public forgiveness in general though.  I think that's starting to go away a bit.  Because the Internet makes things so accessible, scandalous public acts don't go away like they used to, so the memory of them becomes less abstract to people.  So people don't look at something like the decision and think "well, in retrospect, he just presented himself poorly."  You can rewatch The Decision on the internet and be instantly reminded of how awful it was.  You can watch the welcome party video and immediately be reminded of how arrogant it was.

Since people love the Jordan comparisons, can you imagine if Jordan had played in the social media era?  Between the repeated playoff losses to the Pistons before finally breaking through, the gambling, and the stories of him generally being an asshole, he would have been crucified probably worse than James is, yet many act like Jordan was this mythical god who could do no wrong.  It's comical.  But nostalgia can be a funny thing.

Jordan's a little more media savvy than LeBron.  LeBron's always pretended to be this humble guy even though he obviously isn't, which hurts his image.  Jordan knew how to present his psychotic competitiveness honestly without laying it on too thick.

Still, Jordan would be a less mythical figure.  I don't see how you can argue against that.
Over and over again

Offline Accelerando

Just like Reap, I respect him as a basketball player. He's obviously great, and an athletic beast. The Decision and some of the questionable comments he has made definitely irked me. Comments that put himself above the average person who happens to be NBA fans. Also taking a shot at Dirk Nowitzki during the NBA Finals by faking a cough was pretty low. Also when he got dunked on by a college player during a pick-up game, and he went out of his way to try and make sure that tape was confiscated, which to me is cowardly.

Also, he's suppose to be the greatest player in the world, and suppose to be in the same breath as Jordan and Kobe....why does he have to flop to try to win games? And his flopping isn't subtle, like Manu Ginobli, especially in his early career...Jame's is pretty ridiculous and over the top. Yes everyone flops nowadays, but you have to respect the game better than that especially if you are considered "The Chosen One"

Those are my irks. I respect him as an athletic basketball player, and he's a marvel to watch on the court. But that's about it. I'll never own a Lebron James jersey or wear his kicks like I have for Jordan, Bryant, or even Duncan.

Well...maybe his kicks...I wear a size 17...there's not a lot of options for me, and if there is a cheap pair of his my size i'll get them, but ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE SASQUATCH FEET  ;)