Author Topic: Green Day Thread v. Revolution Radio (merged)  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Green Day Thread v. Jay and Kotowboy cant be the only fans?
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
When I bought Uno it came in a collector's box with enough room for Dos and Tre to fit in for when they came out. Little sad I can't fit Cuatro in there as well. It looks so left out. :D
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »
I was really broke when they all came out so I had to buy them all at once from amazon some time later.

And ”Cuatro! came out with ”Tre! bundled with it so I had to have two copies.

I was hoping that it was a different version but - it's the exact same one - the catalogue numbers are the same.

There was talk of Green Day doing some remixes and adding additional guitar on the ”Trilogy! - so I was hoping maybe they'd done a new version of ”Tre! - but nobody knows anything about it now.

I wouldn't want them to run this trilogy into the ground - but if they did pick their favourite songs from the 3 and add some heavier guitars to them and put it out as ”The Best Of the Trilogy! - i'd be into that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »

My favourites from the ”Trilogy! in one playlist.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »
And now I wanna go listen to Super Hits... I love Maria and Poprocks. Super Hits was my second Green Day disc, after American Idiot.

I received American Idiot when it first came out... then on a whim bought Super Hits... which made me wanna go out and BUY ALL THE GREEN DAY (lol @ being 13 years old)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
And now I wanna go listen to Super Hits... I love Maria and Poprocks. Super Hits was my second Green Day disc, after American Idiot.

I received American Idiot when it first came out... then on a whim bought Super Hits... which made me wanna go out and BUY ALL THE GREEN DAY (lol @ being 13 years old)

I first heard Basket Case in 1994 - I think I was 15 or 16. Then my friend made me a cassette of Dookie and that was it.

Additional : When I saw Green Day for the first time in 2002 - They opened with Maria :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
Anyone interested in " Foreverly " - the new Billie Joe & Norah Jones Everly Brothers covers album out monday ?

Couple of clips out already. Sounds good. :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
Interesting. . .
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
It's basically straight up country songs but their voices work well together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_rhdglVBk

- It reminds me of something Mark Knopfler would write.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/user/kotow2011/playlist/2qNL4VHxTKwvtvfNTusYIU

Album is on Spotify.

It sounds like the soundtrack to a Coen Bros. Film. :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
I like that they did this but as someone who listens to folk regularly I find the album pretty flat and vanilla.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
It's cool though. I can imagine a BJA solo album being closer to this than Green Day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 08:05:25 AM »
Dookie is 20 years old today :)  :heart

I shall of course be playing the album a lot today :)

Happy Birthday to the album that got me into one of my all time favourite bands and -  :omg: have *never* once put out a record I was disappointed with !

I don't know how they do it. They just don't do *shit* albums.

American Idiot is 10 this year also. A big year for the band.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
Green Day is a solid band -- great tunes and solid, consistent releases.  "Warning" remains my favorite album and least favorites would have to be"1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" and "Dos" -- a couple strong songs on "Dos" but it feels like it was put out only to allow them to have 3 albums of material for that whole 3-album gimmick.  :biggrin:

Jason White - the 2nd guitar player is the 4th member. Not Jason Freese.

Other than Jason appearing on the cover of "Cuatro" I'm not sure why this thread indicates he's now an official member of the band.  He's been part of their live band for years and years, but I see nothing on their official website or elsewhere to indicate Green Day is now a foursome..... :\  Did I miss a press release?

Listened through American Idiot at work. Ya know... Whatsername was never a song I liked until recently. It always seemed like an afterthought, especially after how awesome I thought Homecoming was to end the album. Now it's like my favourite song off the album.

Same here -- I had a new love of "Whatsername" after seeing the "American Idiot" Broadway musical because the version they do in that show is such a significant part of the story.  :tup 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
I'd love to see the American Idiot Musical someday

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
Green Day is a solid band -- great tunes and solid, consistent releases.  "Warning" remains my favorite album and least favorites would have to be"1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" and "Dos" -- a couple strong songs on "Dos" but it feels like it was put out only to allow them to have 3 albums of material for that whole 3-album gimmick.  :biggrin:

Jason White - the 2nd guitar player is the 4th member. Not Jason Freese.

Other than Jason appearing on the cover of "Cuatro" I'm not sure why this thread indicates he's now an official member of the band.  He's been part of their live band for years and years, but I see nothing on their official website or elsewhere to indicate Green Day is now a foursome..... :\  Did I miss a press release?

Listened through American Idiot at work. Ya know... Whatsername was never a song I liked until recently. It always seemed like an afterthought, especially after how awesome I thought Homecoming was to end the album. Now it's like my favourite song off the album.

Same here -- I had a new love of "Whatsername" after seeing the "American Idiot" Broadway musical because the version they do in that show is such a significant part of the story.  :tup

He's in every one of the ”Trilogy! booklets as Jason White : guitar and all the photos and on Wiki it lists him as a current member.

Plus Billie says in the ”Cuatro! documentary that they asked Jason to join the band full time.

PLUS - he now plays guitar live on older songs whereas before he was "in the band" - he always left the stage for pre - American Idiot songs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »

I'm really not into musical theatre. Not just because of the stigma or anything - it just doesn't do anything for me and I find it quite cringing.

However - I did enjoy the double CD of all the songs they performed re-recorded with the cast. Some good versions on there AND Green Day actually play on it.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
Plus Billie says in the ”Cuatro! documentary that they asked Jason to join the band full time.

PLUS - he now plays guitar live on older songs whereas before he was "in the band" - he always left the stage for pre - American Idiot songs.
OK, if Billie says it, there it is.  :tup

By the way, he played on older songs previously.  I've seen them live several times and he didn't leave the stage for earlier songs......

Jay, we took our daughters to see it -- it was probably a bit risque for the younger one 9she was 10 at the time) but they both love Green Day and all four of us LOVED the show.  I'd go see it again in a heartbeat if it ever toured near me.   :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »
I want to know if  Jason will now be allowed to write songs for the band... Imagine if they found out he actually wrote amazingly good songs too. :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 11:15:17 PM »
Was happy when I heard Jason was a full time member. He's earned it. He's been touring with them for, what? Over a decade?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »
Since Warning era.

+ According to Wiki - Insomniac & Nimrod have sold about 10m copies each whilst Warning has sold about 1.2m copies.

I had no idea that those two sold that many whilst Warning sold so few... What's wrong with it ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »
Here's how I see the trilogy :

”Uno! - Dookie / Nimrod

”Dos! - Insomniac / Stop Drop & Roll

”Tre! - Nimrod / 21st Century Breakdown ( with better production ).

Nimrod is my favourite album and was really happy to have a couple more albums in a similar vein.

I think one of the reasons for the iTrilogy! being so listenable for me as opposed to 21stCB is the guitar sound.

21stCB is Les Pauls into marshall stacks for the entire album and after 75 minutes you get ear fatigue.

Uno, Dos & Tre have a much more overdriven clean sound and it's much more easy to listen to it in long stretches and they have more longevity IMO...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:20:01 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Warning was "too different".  As far as I remember, it lacked that urgent energy that they are known for. 

That trilogy was a bit much for me to handle.  The songs sounded the same after a while.  I like songs like Kill The DJ and Nightlife that's not 3 minutes of ear bashing. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
I loved Kill the DJ because it had an awesome groove but didn't really like Nightlife.

I think Tre is mostly great and combined with half of Uno & half of Dos would have made a good single album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »
I enjoyed Tre a fair bit, but the other two were a bit dull I thought.

And I really like Warning, but I can see why it was less popular. It was less punky and had quite a different vibe, and at the time Green Day just weren't really in the forefront of public consciousness. They put themselves there again with American Idiot, which was not only a great album but also got a lot of hype going for being a punk rock concept album which is quite a rare thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
I loved Warning obviously. My least favourite GD album is 21CB because it's not American idiot and is too loud for too long.

Audible clipping didn't help either.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
Green Day was the first band I fell in love with back in 1995. Basket Case was the first song I "learned" on the drums (the quotes are for the limitedness of my ability at age 10). They were my first concert too - 2001 Warning Tour. It's still the best show I've ever seen. Front row with my other favorite band at the time, The Living End. Truly fantastic experience.

Anyway, these guys are fantastic. I lost them after American Idiot, though. I'd have to say my favorite album and imo their best album front to back is Insomniac. In essence it's their Train of Thought. They came in with a dark, heavy, and fast album with no filler. I put together a 10:00 compilation of all the songs for a drum cover a year ago or so. It's sort of an homage to one of my favorite albums. Here it is if anybody's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoiU6XG86WA

-Tof

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Cool ! :tup

Bab's Uvula Who is like " Let Yourself Go " 's Big Brother.

Panic Song is such a f---ing good song.  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »

Panic Song is such a f---ing good song.  :metal

Seriously one of my Favs

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
If you take away the long intro - it's a swift 90 second song :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
Speaking of short songs.

Take Back is awesome

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Yeah I love that one too and Platypus.

Stop, Drop & Roll is a nice wee LP. It sounds like the album Green Day should have released between Warning and American Idiot.

Some great tunes on there for essentially a quick throw away album .

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
Never really gave it a listen. I know I pulled up some FHT songs a while back on youtube but never gave it much thought. I'll give it a try next time I go into a Green Day Mood.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
Listening to Insomniac on my phone speaker at work.

Album sounds great on this tiny ass speaker....

And the 1-2-3 punch of 86/Panic Song/Stuart and the Ave

Probably three of my favourite GD songs in a row.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:52 AM »
Insomniac is a weird album.

It's like Dookie but it's much faster, shorter, darker and has less harmonies and guitar melodies.

Not that it's a bad thing - but it does sound like it was written and recorded quickly.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »
IIRC It was.

And I love the darkness.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"