Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 174090 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
Neither do I but we should probably make it about Final Fantasy IX or something.

Ok, how bout, YOU ORGANIZE AND DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT STARTED, and I'll finish eating my corn and play some more COD 4, mkay?
:lol I think you might be my favourite recent new user!

And FFIX is indeed the second best game, behind VII.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:10 PM »
I don't get why IX is held in such high regard. Too many things about it annoyed me and i didn't really like the story/ characters very much.  Then again, I also like VIII more than VII. I don't know why. I recognize the impact VII had on the genera and it's much more well thought out story and characters but I've always had more fun playing VIII.

Still not finished FFXII, but I did get quite far. Great game, but lacks character development - big time.

You mean like how the main character really has no reason to be part of the plot line other than he didn't want to get left behind?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
I want to play through FFIX again! I ARE JOINING THE CLUB RITE NAO KTHXBI
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
I don't get why IX is held in such high regard. Too many things about it annoyed me and i didn't really like the story/ characters very much.  Then again, I also like VIII more than VII. I don't know why. I recognize the impact VII had on the genera and it's much more well thought out story and characters but I've always had more fun playing VIII.

Kuja is an awesome villain and would probably be my favorite if not for his flamboyant style of dress, I like the story, I like the skill system, and it has a cool setting.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ehra

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:38 PM »
The skill system was why I never got past three hours into the game. Once I realized I had 3 or 4 different swords for the main monkey dude but I was still using either the starter weapon or the one right after because I still hadn't learned the skill off of it.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
I don't get why IX is held in such high regard. Too many things about it annoyed me and i didn't really like the story/ characters very much.  Then again, I also like VIII more than VII. I don't know why. I recognize the impact VII had on the genera and it's much more well thought out story and characters but I've always had more fun playing VIII.
VIII is my least favourite FF out of the more recent ones (Playstation 1 and later) :neverusethis:

I don't get why IX is held in such high regard. Too many things about it annoyed me and i didn't really like the story/ characters very much.  Then again, I also like VIII more than VII. I don't know why. I recognize the impact VII had on the genera and it's much more well thought out story and characters but I've always had more fun playing VIII.

Kuja is an awesome villain and would probably be my favorite if not for his flamboyant style of dress, I like the story, I like the skill system, and it has a cool setting.
Don't forget the awesome music.

I want to play through FFIX again! I ARE JOINING THE CLUB RITE NAO KTHXBI
YESSS.

The skill system was why I never got past three hours into the game. Once I realized I had 3 or 4 different swords for the main monkey dude but I was still using either the starter weapon or the one right after because I still hadn't learned the skill off of it.
The skill system was awesome! I love micro managing stuff like that. Particularly when I got all my characters to learn auto-regen and it made the game insanely easy :neverusethis:

You could also always find those little things that asked for ore or whatever and they gave you a lot of ability points or whatever they were called.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »

Still not finished FFXII, but I did get quite far. Great game, but lacks character development - big time.

You mean like how the main character really has no reason to be part of the plot line other than he didn't want to get left behind?

Yeah man, it just doesn't make sense does it?

It's got some cool characters like Basch and Balthier but in terms of developing their stories...it's non existant.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
So, are we creating the FFIX club thread? I think we should.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ouda

• Executive supervisor of FUNK
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »

[/quote]

Almost my favorite post except for the last part. Oh well, Cloud was a pretty big badass, but not nearly as awesome as Zidane nor Vivi.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
Can we all agree that Vaan is the biggest pussy in terms of main characters?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Yeah. No doubt.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ouda

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
Deal. Cloud, Zidane and Squall, were the pinacle of badassery for the Final Fantasies

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »
What about Auron?!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
Auron was pretty badass, but The Flaming Amaranth was a bit more badass. He stole shit and didn't afraid of anything.

Offline Ouda

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
I was talking main people. Auron/Flaming Arrant had badass in their veins, they just weren't main characters.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
Yeah. The main characters usually have friends that have several personalities. Auron/Amaranth/Zell were a couple of the badass ones.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »

Almost my favorite post except for the last part. Oh well, Cloud was a pretty big badass, but not nearly as awesome as Zidane nor Vivi.
Quotefail!

I'll join the FFIX club! As I said, I slightly prefer VII because it was the game that had by far the biggest impact on me as a gamer, but IX is also totally awesome and, to be honest, in many ways is extremely similar to VII (in all the good aspects anyway :D )

I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
And FFIX is indeed the second best game, behind VI.

Fixed.   :biggrin:

But I love VII (it would be third on my list), and I can't argue that it isn't easily the most revolutionary game in the series, and one of the all-time greats in this regard.  Still, I feel like VI is closer to flawless, has aged better for me, and did a lot of other things better (yeah that's kinda lame, but I don't have time to elaborate right now  :P).  Although it is very hard for me to admit, nostalgia is likely a factor in this opinion.   :lol

IX is unbelievable; my only complaint is that the gameplay could have used some tweaks.  VIII and X have great stories, but also have gameplay issues, and to a greater degree than IX.  This particularly goes for X, which I find to be highly overrated, in spite of a good plot.

I won't comment on the older games, since nobody here seems to care much about them.   :lol

-J

EDIT: There are a lot of Roman numerals in this post.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »
Meh, the story in VIII was quite weak I thought. Squall was a bit of a loser and kind of annoying, most of the other characters were largely unmemorable, and bits of the story didn't make much sense. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, and was very engrossing, but compared to the majority of FF games it wasn't that great.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
Meh, the story in VIII was quite weak I thought. Squall was a bit of a loser and kind of annoying, most of the other characters were largely unmemorable, and bits of the story didn't make much sense. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, and was very engrossing, but compared to the majority of FF games it wasn't that great.
You think the whole past/present/future thing is weak? I think of FFVIII's story as one big mixing pot. There are a lot of different elements thrown in, and I did think some of the characters were memorable. Selphie and trains, for example  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »
VIII is dull.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
FUCK YEAH!  I JUST KICKED TYRANT'S ASS!!!
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
You think the whole past/present/future thing is weak? I think of FFVIII's story as one big mixing pot. There are a lot of different elements thrown in, and I did think some of the characters were memorable. Selphie and trains, for example  :lol
No, that past/present/future connection was really cool and by far my favourite part of the overall plot. Just throughout there was so much irrelevant stuff, and the story never really went anywhere. It just kinda ended, and then suddenly everyone was happy. I didn't feel the emotion of finishing like I did with the other games, especially, VI, VII, IX and X.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »
I'm watching "Push" and marvelling at what a perfect 'Rinoa' Camilla Belle would make in a FFVIII film.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:18:12 PM by sonatafanica »

Offline ehra

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »

I think a big thing was that, after 7, it was nice to have a game that had a happy ending that actually resolved the stories and didn't end with just a big question mark.

The only real complaint I had was how little sense Ultimacia (or however your spell her name) herself made.

Offline j

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »

VIII's story had its weak points, but I really enjoyed it overall.  It seems like there were some plot pacing issues throughout the game though, which detracted from it a bit for me.  XII also has this problem, to go along with having a relatively weak story; luckily, the gameplay makes up for it IMO.

-J

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »
VII was pretty cool, I didn't like X much, I was a bit too old/generic, III was a huge improvement over I, and IV is my favorite.  I haven't played any of the others.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
For me, picking my favorite was really between VII and X. VII was the very first one I played, and everything about it just blew me away. The complex, multi-layered story, the active-time battle system, the cast. X was amazing as well, and the ending was one of the most emotional things I've witnessed in a game, period. As far as the characters go in X, I liked Yuna and Auron. Tidus, I'm kind of indifferent about. He's kind of a pussy. Lulu and Wakka were both somewhat annoying, and Rikku was another one that I just didn't really care about. The final battle (where you can actually lose) was extremely epic.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
I just got a Playstation Store update and Dissidia Final Fantasy is now available for pre-order on PSP.  It looks pretty cool.  You can choose to play as your favorite characters from the original FF up through FFX.  Pre-order ships 8/25.  Check it out.

https://na.square-enix.com/dissidia/
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2009, 12:55:38 PM »
I just got a Playstation Store update and Dissidia Final Fantasy is now available for pre-order on PSP.  It looks pretty cool.  You can choose to play as your favorite characters from the original FF up through FFX.  Pre-order ships 8/25.  Check it out.

It looks pretty cool. Is it a fighting game?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »

It looks pretty cool. Is it a fighting game?

Yeah, it says Action RPG.  Not sure if it's turn based or free form fighting.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
My friends have "had" the japanese version on their PSPs for a while now, and yeah it's a fighting game, but sort of like the DBZ fighting games the way your character fights is pretty customizable (like you can put in your own moves/equipment etc.) When you fight you have two meters/bars: Hp and Brave, similarly there are two kinds of attacks, HP attacks and Brave attacks. If I recall correctly, Brave acts as both defense and attack power for HP attacks, the goal being to get your opponent's Brave really low (and since brave attacks drain brave, get yours really high) and then tear into them with HP attacks. There is also the EX meter which is like limit break, fill it up and go into EX mode to get some sort of special ability.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ouda

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »
Aw that sucks, I always played Final Fantasy for the turn based. It was pretty much the only game, besides paper mario (the good ones, before the wii one), where I have some turn based adventure.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »
Aw that sucks, I always played Final Fantasy for the turn based. It was pretty much the only game, besides paper mario (the good ones, before the wii one), where I have some turn based adventure.

This Fall Nippon will be getting a new DS Final Fantasy game that is supposed to be similar to the older incarnations of the series.  Hopefully it comes to North America by early next year.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
I just finished Final Fantasy XII. I've played it before but never finished because of the mediocre story and awful characters. This time I powered through and found that as I went along the story got a bit better. It's still nothing compared to some of the other stories that previous Final Fantasies but it at least passed near the end. Plus near the end Vaan actually started doing something. For a while I wondered why Vaan and Penelo were even main characters since they never did anything or contributed to the plot line at all. I stuck through it though because the game play throughout the whole thing is fantastic. It's still turn based which I love but it adds so many new strategies by letting you walk around and incorporating area of effect. I'm glad I stuck with it because although it does take a while to get going it does pick up near the end.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.