Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 175291 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
Hey, if Zelda gets one, then FF deserves one too. Almost every single FF game I've played is addictive and awesome. (With the exception of XII) Final Fantasy I, VII, and X are the ones that I've played, beaten, and thoroughly enjoyed. I just started VI and it's looking to shape up nicely as well.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
I picked 12 cause it's the only one I've played but it has probably the best battle system I've seen for an RPG game. Granted I'm not an RPG player in the slightest but I sunk way too many hours into it. Forgive me RPG traditionalists but the real-time type battle system >> turn based by a lot. Makes the game move so much more fluid. Plus I like actually seeing your enemies instead of always having random battles.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
I've clocked VIII a few times.  Its extremely hard to find a copy of VII though, I really miss that game.

Offline ehra

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
No Tactics?  :sadpanda:

I guess I'll go with 7, although 4 and 8 were damn good too. Never got around to playing 3 and 10 was good but I didn't like it as much as the others. Never played X-2 or anything after. And Final Fantasy Mystic Quest wasn't THAT bad.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
I picked 12 cause it's the only one I've played but it has probably the best battle system I've seen for an RPG game. Granted I'm not an RPG player in the slightest but I sunk way too many hours into it. Forgive me RPG traditionalists but the real-time type battle system >> turn based by a lot. Makes the game move so much more fluid. Plus I like actually seeing your enemies instead of always having random battles.
For me, the battle system is extremely weird. For 10 games they had the perfect battle system. (Sure they tweaked it over the years, but still.) And then they completely jumped ship and tried to redo it. It's the one reason I can't enjoy that game.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
xii is the best.  i am playing it right now.  look at my review in the "video games suck these days" thread.  or something like that.

edit: the battle system owns in xii
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
There are so many great final fantasy games to choose a favorite. My favorites are 6, 7, tactics, and 10.
I've got good feelings about 13 and Versus 13 too

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
My favorite is VI. XII is a travesty, sorry XII fans :p

I've beaten VI-X, I've gotten to the final level in V and the last boss in X-2, but I could never beat it. I haven't gotten very far at all in 1, 2, or 12, 3 and 4 I got about halfway. I've also done the first few fights in TA and gotten maybe 1/4 of the way through T, but those games are stupidly hard and I don't have the energy for them :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 06:09:26 PM »
The Final Fantasy games are some of the most exciting games out there. Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time because of its storyline, the characters, the gameplay, etc.

And yes, a big thumbs up for the Tactics love here. I was addicted to that game for a couple of years.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
I'm completely with orcus on the battle system in XII. I don't mind the turn based stuff, but its kinda boring and frustrating. The thing I've always loved about the FF games is the stories, so never really cared about the gameplay, but XII still had a decent story, but was actually really fun to play. I spent a ridiculous number of hours playing that game and exploring the world!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
Definitely my favorite game series. I've played almost every Final Fantasy game there is (and every one in the numbered series), and although most hardcore fans will give me shit for this I must still say the best will be VII. It simply has the best storyline and interesting cast of characters in any game I've played :tup

Right behind VII is VI (Kefka is the greatest villain ever) and taking third in my eyes is a tie between both IV and IX (I've got a lot of memories connected to this one).

Of course, all of the others are classics as well, XII included :tup My only disappointments with XII are the battle system and the lack of characterization for most of the main characters until towards the climax.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
Gotta go with VI, although VII, VIII and X are amazing as well.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »
This is by far my favorite series of games of all time. I've played VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, and XII

I would rank them:
VIII - My favorite system for leveling up your characters. I really enjoyed junctioning. The card game was addicting!

VII - Best story and characters out of all of them.

X - The Sphear Grid was a little simplistic and the story had some very cheesy moments but over all this is anther of my favorite all time games. I also think I'm the only person who actually enjoyed Blitzball. Although it was a bit easy once you got your team leveled up.

XII - I really didn't like most of the characters in this game. The storyline was poorly exctuted. However I think this one has had my favorite combat system. Plus I really enjoyed bountys.

IX - I just really didn't like this game all around. It's been to long for me to remember the specific reasons. Maybe it's time to give it another chance.

X-2 - You level up by getting better dresses? Then you put on a pop concert to raise everyone's spirits?

I couldn't finish IX or X-2 because i thought they were so bad. I'm also one of the few people who actually like FF VIII more than VII. I don't know what it is about it that I like so much more. But I've beaten it four times compared to the one or two times that all of the other FF games have been played.

My brother owns a Final Fantasy I and II collection and Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of cerberus that I really want to play. I'm also thinking about buying the other collection they put out so I can play V and VI.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
Dirge of Cerberus is terrible. Stay far away from that game.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »
Only completed VII to X-2
Favourite is 10. Doesn't look assy like the PS1 games, battle system is fast and more fun.

No Tactics?  :sadpanda:
Oh wait, that. Tactics.

X-2 is underrated. Dress spheres are a really cool implementation of the job system. Even if it is a bit corny. But you like Final Fantasy, what the fuck are you worrying about corny things for? Nerd.

Offline ehra

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »
IX - I just really didn't like this game all around. It's been to long for me to remember the specific reasons. Maybe it's time to give it another chance.

Having to learn abilities off of your weapons was what kept me from liking that one.

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »
VI is by far the best.  Great series though.  I've played all of them over the years (except for II and III), starting with the original on my NES as a kid, and not one of them is a bad game.

-J

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
IV and VII are my favourite, I couldn't believe it when they redid III and IV for DS  :laugh:

However... CHRONO TRIGGER KICKS FINAL FANTASY'S ARSE

*runs*

Offline ehra

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:44 PM »
That it does  :hat

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »

This.  Average as.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
I am stuck on tyrant on final fantasy xii.  now I am going to do some mindless leveling for hours...
www.bedeceived.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
Now wait a minute, man, if I can beat Fafnir while near-blackout drunk you can sure as hell beat Tyrant no problem.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
I have them all except FFIII.  FFX is my favorite.  Great story, gameplay and side quests.  The only thing I dislike about it is being held hostage by random battle encounters.  Even though they can be turned off by a certain accessory later in the game, getting to that point can be very tedious.  Still an awesome game.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
I have them all except FFIII.  FFX is my favorite.  Great story, gameplay and side quests.  The only thing I dislike about it is being held hostage by random battle encounters.  Even though they can be turned off by a certain accessory later in the game, getting to that point can be very tedious.  Still an awesome game.

I think that's one reason why I love FF XII's combat system so much. It's not forced on you. You could run through the whole zone if you want to.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »
Now wait a minute, man, if I can beat Fafnir while near-blackout drunk you can sure as hell beat Tyrant no problem.
that's not how it is.  none of my weapons do any damage.  I guess this is the way i die every time. i just don't understand.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »

This.  Average as.

Just borrowed it from my brother and started it anyways. I think anything with FF in the title deserves at least a try.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »

This.  Average as.

Just borrowed it from my brother and started it anyways. I think anything with FF in the title deserves at least a try.
As long as it's actually an RPG, yeah it does.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »
My problem with XII is that if you work on it long enough, the game will fight your battles for you. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate (and so on, Kefka style) the gambit system. Goddamn.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »
My problem with XII is that if you work on it long enough, the game will fight your battles for you. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate (and so on, Kefka style) the gambit system. Goddamn.

Other than setting to it attack whatever has the fewest hit points and for ranged characters attacking flying enemies I didn't really use gambits. I prefered to control all of my characters myself.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Gambits are amazing for fighting some of the harder hunts. Not having to constantly do 'berserk, haste, protect' manually was a Godsend but I guess some people don't consider that fun and for some reason cheating. I mean if you can do that in this battle system efficiently by yourself more power to you but I can't see it being anything other than frustration. To me gambits allow a person to set as many or as little of the menial things you need to do in battle anyways ahead of time so you don't waste any time. Personally I don't see how manually selecting every action during a battle is particularly exciting in any case. Despite a rare few cases where actually enjoyed it (Golden Sun, Pokemon), turn based battle systems bore me to death.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:01 PM »
Gambits are amazing for fighting some of the harder hunts. Not having to constantly do 'berserk, haste, protect' manually was a Godsend but I guess some people don't consider that fun and for some reason cheating. I mean if you can do that in this battle system efficiently by yourself more power to you but I can't see it being anything other than frustration. To me gambits allow a person to set as many or as little of the menial things you need to do in battle anyways ahead of time so you don't waste any time. Personally I don't see how manually selecting every action during a battle is particularly exciting in any case. Despite a rare few cases where actually enjoyed it (Golden Sun, Pokemon), turn based battle systems bore me to death.
/thread
www.bedeceived.com

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
IX is the best game ever made. I've only played IV - XII, though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

Get on VII and VIII rightquick

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 10:05:16 PM »

he just said he played the, before.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 10:16:41 PM »

I've played 4 - 12  ;)