Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 500172 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Things that piss me off
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
You should be able to go to a retailer's website and see if a product is in a store and how much it costs. If I go to Walmart.com, it's because I want to avoid the unpleasantness of actually going inside their stores just to find out they don't have what I want. It's not because I want Walmart to sell me something from Overstock.com. Sears and Radio Shack are the same way. No option to filter out products they don't actually sell in person. The fact that they'll send it to a store in a couple of days doesn't make it any better. If they want to be Amazon, I don't care. Just give me a filter to eliminate all the stuff I'd rather buy elsewhere anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Preach on man!
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »
Whoever decided that PDF should be the universal format for restaurant menus should be shot in the fucking face. Why does anybody think this is a good idea? There's no benefit to the user or the restaurant, and there are major drawbacks. For one thing, PDF sucks for almost everything. For another, you shouldn't need a second application to view something when you're already at their site. How many people actually open PDF's on their phone? Isn't that where you're most likely to need an online menu for an establishment?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
:clap: PDFs are stupid.

Say some stuff about Mobile! God that place sucks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
:hefdaddy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
This is starting out good and has the potential to blossom into the thread I have waited years to read.  A point by point list of truly dumb shit that EB finds annoying, in verbose detail.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
You should be able to go to a retailer's website and see if a product is in a store and how much it costs. If I go to Walmart.com, it's because I want to avoid the unpleasantness of actually going inside their stores just to find out they don't have what I want. It's not because I want Walmart to sell me something from Overstock.com. Sears and Radio Shack are the same way. No option to filter out products they don't actually sell in person. The fact that they'll send it to a store in a couple of days doesn't make it any better. If they want to be Amazon, I don't care. Just give me a filter to eliminate all the stuff I'd rather buy elsewhere anyway.

I'm not EB, but somewhat related:  When web-vendors won't actually show the price for something until you add it to your cart and go several steps down the check-out process.  "Price too low to post online.  Add to your cart to see price."  Yeah, right.  Maybe you got an exclusive price from a particular vendor on condition that you not post the price on the general site until someone has the item in their cart.  And your marketing folks conclude that that will drive sales because customers will come to you knowing you have that exclusive low price.  Okay, I get it.  I hope that gain is worth it, because you are simultaneously losing customers like me who want to reach through the monitor and strangle the little member of the Geek Squad smiling back at me from the other side.  I hate you, Best Buy.  I hate you so much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Whoever decided that PDF should be the universal format for restaurant menus should be shot in the fucking face. Why does anybody think this is a good idea? There's no benefit to the user or the restaurant, and there are major drawbacks. For one thing, PDF sucks for almost everything. For another, you shouldn't need a second application to view something when you're already at their site. How many people actually open PDF's on their phone? Isn't that where you're most likely to need an online menu for an establishment?

This. FUCKING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime, so why do we have to make everything cost stupid amounts? And then you factor in 8.0875% sales tax and nothing works anymore. In the old days, if your bill rang up to $8.02, a friendly cashier would spot you the two cents. Now they have machines that count it out and don't have to worry about your convenience.

Our government, in it's infinite wisdom, can't fathom why nobody wants a 1 dollar coin, which would save millions. It's because we're already saddled with more change than we actually want. And then you pay 10% back to the pirates at Coinstar so you don't have to actually count the shit.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
And then you pay 10% back to the pirates at Coinstar so you don't have to actually count the shit.

This is why I go to the local bank I'm not even a member of.  Their coin counting machine is fee-free and you can cash in on it without an account.  :metal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
I'm not EB, but somewhat related:  When web-vendors won't actually show the price for something until you add it to your cart and go several steps down the check-out process.  "Price too low to post online.  Add to your cart to see price."  Yeah, right.  Maybe you got an exclusive price from a particular vendor on condition that you not post the price on the general site until someone has the item in their cart.  And your marketing folks conclude that that will drive sales because customers will come to you knowing you have that exclusive low price.  Okay, I get it.  I hope that gain is worth it, because you are simultaneously losing customers like me who want to reach through the monitor and strangle the little member of the Geek Squad smiling back at me from the other side.  I hate you, Best Buy.  I hate you so much.
Expanding on this, I'm not giving anybody a credit card number until I know how much shipping is going to cost. That should be the very first thing on a checkout screen. Expecting me to write out my life story just to get to a shipping quote is asinine, and the easiest way to send me to another merchant.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Expanding on this, I'm not giving anybody a credit card number until I know how much shipping is going to cost. That should be the very first thing on a checkout screen. Expecting me to write out my life story just to get to a shipping quote is asinine, and the easiest way to send me to another merchant.

omfg seriously
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
I'm not EB, but somewhat related:  When web-vendors won't actually show the price for something until you add it to your cart and go several steps down the check-out process.  "Price too low to post online.  Add to your cart to see price."

I thought they could not legally post a price online if it was below a certain threshold.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
I'm not EB, but somewhat related:  When web-vendors won't actually show the price for something until you add it to your cart and go several steps down the check-out process.  "Price too low to post online.  Add to your cart to see price."

I thought they could not legally post a price online if it was below a certain threshold.

The only "legal" reason they can't is if they have agreed with the vendor that they won't.  The "legal" reason then becomes that they are in breach of contract if they do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
:clap: PDFs are stupid.

Say some stuff about Mobile! God that place sucks.

you in Mobile?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
I doubt it since there weren't any typos in that post.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime.

Woah now, not so fast. Keeping my change in a jar amounts to a new videogame or record store binge for me like once or twice a year!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime.

Woah now, not so fast. Keeping my change in a jar amounts to a new videogame or record store binge for me like once or twice a year!
My last two cars have been 25% paid for by accumulated change. That doesn't alter the fact that it's a piss-poor way of saving money.
E.F. Benson

Offline j

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Barto my friend, this is the thread you were born to create.

Agreed on all counts so far.

-J

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
Following.

Oh, here's one.. That stuck up flight attendant who stood over me to watch me turn my iPhone completely off. Bitch, I have a friend who is a pilot, and has told me the crew leave their phones on, and here is no distraction with the flight systems at all.  The ground crews have their phones on, the passengers in the terminals have their phones on... BUT THE FUCKING PASSENGERS ON THE PLANE CAN'T!?!?!?!?

The floor is yours again EB.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
No offense, but you signed the terms of agreement with the airline when you bought the ticket. Your life really isn't that important that you can't go without the 5 minutes of takeoff and touchdown without the phone on. So, shut it the fuck down. It's called courtesy and consideration.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
While not wanting to phrase it as bluntly as Rumbo, I agree. The stewardesses didn't make the rule and they might get griped at by their superiors if the phone thing isn't thoroughly enforced. Lastly, most passengers come across as tech-addicted zombies to me the way they frantically reach for their electronic devices the instant they're once again permitted to.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
No offense
No offense, but this is pretty annoying too. It is like saying "No offense, but I'm going to diss you, but no offense!" Somehow, saying "no offense" safeguards you from blame for saying something personal and confronting.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime, so why do we have to make everything cost stupid amounts? And then you factor in 8.0875% sales tax and nothing works anymore. In the old days, if your bill rang up to $8.02, a friendly cashier would spot you the two cents. Now they have machines that count it out and don't have to worry about your convenience.

Our government, in it's infinite wisdom, can't fathom why nobody wants a 1 dollar coin, which would save millions. It's because we're already saddled with more change than we actually want. And then you pay 10% back to the pirates at Coinstar so you don't have to actually count the shit.

My coffee every morning costs $2.06 after tax. I walk around with $0.94 jingling in my pocket all day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »
Loads of little things piss me off :lol

But it's mainly the way that people speak online on social media.

All the stupid acronyms and ending sentences on a random word

" Wanted to go out but it's raining oh "

or

" As if it's raining when i wanted to go out nope. "

The worst is idek because ending a sentence with it makes no sense at all.

" I wanted to go out but it's raining idek "

Which translates as " I wanted to go out but it's raining i dont even know . " ???

That and the level of narcissism on some people's Instagram. The ones that are like 350 pic of just their own face.

How vain can one person be ?

Mainly I hate inconsiderate people. People who actively go out of their way to be annoying for no reason.

Like - fellow house share-ers who will stay awake all night being really loud and don't even think of apologising - or never contribute to bills but have a nice car and all the latest gadgets etc etc.

:tdwn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Like - fellow house share-ers who will stay awake all night being really loud and don't even think of apologising - or never contribute to bills but have a nice car and all the latest gadgets etc etc.

Shit, those are the cats you kick the fuck out. Be it bills or blowjobs, some form of payment is required.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »

Shit, those are the cats you kick the fuck out. Be it bills or blowjobs, some form of payment is required.

smile in their shampoo. That's what I'd do.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
I complained to my landlord twice and he moved eventually but I still desperately wanted a studio flat so I moved to another city. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »

smile in their shampoo. That's what I'd do.

I don't *do* revenge.  ;D

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
Following.

Oh, here's one.. That stuck up flight attendant who stood over me to watch me turn my iPhone completely off. Bitch, I have a friend who is a pilot, and has told me the crew leave their phones on, and here is no distraction with the flight systems at all.  The ground crews have their phones on, the passengers in the terminals have their phones on... BUT THE FUCKING PASSENGERS ON THE PLANE CAN'T!?!?!?!?

Pilots are pretty well split on that issue. Some of them have reported hearing squeaks and squeals on their radio while dicking with their own phones. If that's the case, then turning them off would clearly be prudent. However, that shouldn't include all electronic devices.

My experience with that was when I was holding a GPS receiver up to the window. A male stewardess came up and said "that looks neat, what is it?" I said it's a GPS dongle for my laptop. "Oh, you can't do that, you have to put it away immeidately." Followed by the lecture about approved devices and what not. For one thing, GPS is strictly passive. How could it cause a problem? For another, the damn plane is full of GPS devices. Lastly, the acceptability of GPS on airplanes is a company matter, not regulated by the FAA, and American had rescinded it's ban on in flight GPS receivers previously. Alas, that memo apparently hadn't gotten to the cabin crew, and while playing with unapproved electronic devices will get you a stern warning, questioning the authority of a male stewardess will get you an F-16 escort and a free ride to GITMO. An area where being right means precisely dick.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
No offense
No offense, but this is pretty annoying too. It is like saying "No offense, but I'm going to diss you, but no offense!" Somehow, saying "no offense" safeguards you from blame for saying something personal and confronting.

This.

Rumbo... Don't tell me not to be pissed off at things that annoy me, just because it's an archaic rule that you are ok with. No, my life isn't that important (not that you know jack about my life anyway), and yes I can and do go 10 minutes without the phone (which on a plane is my music player). It isn't so much the rule, but the inconsistency of enforcing it. 80% of flight attendants don't say shit. I don't get pissed off with having to turn it off (I always put it in airplane mode), I got pissed off by this bitch hovering over me like I'm a 6-year old.

Drop your holier than thou act. You've never been pissed off at anyone utilizing/abusing their ability/power to uphold or enforce 'the rules'??

Josh, I might agree with you, but see my comment regarding inconsistency. For as much as I fly, I've never seen anyone worried about getting griped at.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Following.

Pilots are pretty well split on that issue. Some of them have reported hearing squeaks and squeals on their radio while dicking with their own phones. If that's the case, then turning them off would clearly be prudent. However, that shouldn't include all electronic devices.

My experience with that was when I was holding a GPS receiver up to the window. A male stewardess came up and said "that looks neat, what is it?" I said it's a GPS dongle for my laptop. "Oh, you can't do that, you have to put it away immeidately." Followed by the lecture about approved devices and what not. For one thing, GPS is strictly passive. How could it cause a problem? For another, the damn plane is full of GPS devices. Lastly, the acceptability of GPS on airplanes is a company matter, not regulated by the FAA, and American had rescinded it's ban on in flight GPS receivers previously. Alas, that memo apparently hadn't gotten to the cabin crew, and while playing with unapproved electronic devices will get you a stern warning, questioning the authority of a male stewardess will get you an F-16 escort and a free ride to GITMO. An area where being right means precisely dick.
Relevant.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
@jingle: Sorry, still no love from me. Your argument is the same as "why can't I wave my dick around publicly?! I've done it before and nobody seemed to mind."
Thing is, a lot of people *do* mind when you don't turn off your phone. Because, believe it or not, you are not the FAA electromagnetic specialist with a Faraday cage making measurements. Your knowledge of whether phones are safe or not comes from internet websites of various repute. And so, even though I and many others might not say anything, we don't appreciate you potentially endangering our lives based on your second-hand knowledge about phone safety.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
Better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
@jingle: Sorry, still no love from me. Your argument is the same as "why can't I wave my dick around publicly?! I've done it before and nobody seemed to mind."
Thing is, a lot of people *do* mind when you don't turn off your phone. Because, believe it or not, you are not the FAA electromagnetic specialist with a Faraday cage making measurements. Your knowledge of whether phones are safe or not comes from internet websites of various repute. And so, even though I and many others might not say anything, we don't appreciate you potentially endangering our lives based on your second-hand knowledge about phone safety.

And your argument is like saying everyone that goes 1mph over the speed limit should get a ticket every single time because they are endangering everyone on the road.

As for the above that I bolded, I have no idea what you're talking about, but thanks for the insults.

Next time I see or hear of a TSA employee patting down some guys ass or cupping his boys, I'll think, "boy, I sure hope that's Rumborak, because at least *he'll* be understanding that it's just for everyone's safety". 

Back on topic though, I'll add this to the list of things that piss me off .... People who make wildly erroneous accusations with no basis of fact or merit.