Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 502630 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »
No offense, but you signed the terms of agreement with the airline when you bought the ticket. Your life really isn't that important that you can't go without the 5 minutes of takeoff and touchdown without the phone on. So, shut it the fuck down. It's called courtesy and consideration.

And part of the "courtesy" required on this forum is not making wild accusations and baiting others into arguments.  Please stay on topic and don't make it about criticizing the opinions of others.  That is not what this forum is for.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
Uh...not to make light of the situation, but I think you just proved jingleboy's point. :)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Looking over my original post, I don't think I was making my point accurately. It wasn't turning the phone off I was pissed about, it was the bitchy and condescending attitude of the flight attendant who felt the need to hover over me and watch that I performed the task to her satisfaction.  She had already copped attitude with other passengers during boarding, and about carry-on bags.  It was her attitude I was pissed at the most.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime, so why do we have to make everything cost stupid amounts? And then you factor in 8.0875% sales tax and nothing works anymore. In the old days, if your bill rang up to $8.02, a friendly cashier would spot you the two cents. Now they have machines that count it out and don't have to worry about your convenience.

The whole $2.99 thing comes down to some psychology, so yes, I guess people are that stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
And then you pay 10% back to the pirates at Coinstar so you don't have to actually count the shit.
I've got a Coinstar in my store and I cannot believe the people that throw money into the thing. What a waste!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
Why can't we have a system of currency that doesn't suck ass? Are we as a country really so stupid that we think $2.99 for a gallon of milk is better than 3 whole dollars? Nobody cares about anything less than a dime, so why do we have to make everything cost stupid amounts? And then you factor in 8.0875% sales tax and nothing works anymore. In the old days, if your bill rang up to $8.02, a friendly cashier would spot you the two cents. Now they have machines that count it out and don't have to worry about your convenience.

The whole $2.99 thing comes down to some psychology, so yes, I guess people are that stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing
I'm certainly aware of the rationale, which is why I'm so annoyed by the whole thing. A consequence of living in society is that we're often reduced to the lowest common denominator. If the average person is a pea-brained yokel, then we're all subjected to what works on them. The sad truth is that living amongst fools leads to being treated as a fool.

It's the same way with advertising. I quit watching cable and broadcast TV years ago. The number one biggest plus-side to that, even more than saving $80/month, was not seeing commercials anymore. During football season, having to sit through pointless and obnoxious advertising is absolutely abhorrent to me. It turns me into one of those people that yells at the TV as if the bastards responsible can hear. The truth is that some advertising is reasonable and effective. Tell me how many tacos I can buy for $3. That's good, useful info. Hell, showing me pictures of tasty, well prepared tacos can even produce a subconscious desire to eat. That's not to say that I'm going to head to Taco Bell at two in the morning, there's not enough pot on Earth to compel me to that end, but there are some people that might, and I don't have a problem with that. However, most advertising doesn't take that form.

What you see are commercials trying to convince you to switch from one brand to another because somebody else likes it better. On the rare occasion I want a soft drink, I usually go for Coca Cola. Seeing a group of obnoxious teenagers drinking Pepsi isn't going to change my taste. Likewise, I appreciate a good catfight as much as the next man, but seeing two hot chicks wrestle isn't going to compel me to drink awful, watered down beer. I think The Most Interesting Man in the World is a pretty nifty guy. I drink Negro Modello when I want Mexican beer. A commercial that makes me laugh won't change my buying habits, and more over, a good commercial is only funny the first couple of times you see it. By the end of a 3 hour football game, it's already run it's course, but you're still going to see it for the next 3 weeks until they make another.

This is just another example of living in a society of cretins. And it says quite a bit about America. Anheuser Busch will spend $1.42 billion of their operating budget hammering home the message that cool people drink their beer. Think about how much extra beer and how many converts they have to get to justify that investment. Then realize they'll spend even more next year.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 09:03:19 AM »
I would suggest that anyone who doesn't like the currency system has not yet mastered the art of how to use it to your advantage.  Something like:

Me:  *comes home from the store with something I wanted that wasn't on "the list"*
Wife:  What...how much did you pay for THAT?  I bet it was over $3!  :glare:
Me:  Nah...I think it was only 2-something.  :innocent:
Wife:  Oh.  Uh...okay then.
Me:  :fistpump:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
Barto, if it's any consolation, it's not just the US of A. Probably at least most of western civilization is treated the same way (certainly here, at the very least).

I buy products based on the product itself, and whether it's something I need, not because some guy who plays sportball that I've never heard of was paid a buttload of cash to say it's good in a personality-deficient monotone. It's sad that they think this is effective advertising, and even sadder that it probably is effective advertising.

All advertising these days seems to fall into one of only a few basic strategies, most of which assume the viewer is an easily manipulated idiot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
I would suggest that anyone who doesn't like the currency system has not yet mastered the art of how to use it to your advantage.  Something like:

Me:  *comes home from the store with something I wanted that wasn't on "the list"*
Wife:  What...how much did you pay for THAT?  I bet it was over $3!  :glare:
Me:  Nah...I think it was only 2-something.  :innocent:
Wife:  Oh.  Uh...okay then.
Me:  :fistpump:

:tup

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
Save 10%, 20%, 50% if you buy this now, switch to us, etc etc. Once, I'd love to see some raw truth in advertising and see a sign that says "...Or save 100% if you don't buy any of our junk at all!"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
And then you pay 10% back to the pirates at Coinstar so you don't have to actually count the shit.
I've got a Coinstar in my store and I cannot believe the people that throw money into the thing. What a waste!
I use them all the time, but I only exchange coins for Amazon/iTunes gift certificates. There's only a charge for coins-to-cash, which I agree is a huge waste.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Hey, that's actually not a bad deal. Still, I'd rather just let my bank sort it out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
I use them all the time, but I only exchange coins for Amazon/iTunes gift certificates. There's only a charge for coins-to-cash, which I agree is a huge waste.
Yes, the gift cards are a much better deal. Not many people actually redeem  for cards.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
I like Coinstar because all my free time is outside of my bank's operating hours. It's not uncommon that I'll head to Wal-Mart at midnight to dump a bag of change.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »
I guess I'll join the ranting fray. As I have already told some of you, we just recently had a flood in the town where I'm at boarding school and basically the whole town was flooded. For reference:

Anyway, during the days after the flood, I've spent some time in town helping people clean up and regain some semblance of normality, since our boarding school itself wasn't affected.

To get to the point, over the last two days, I've been seeing an increasing amount of people just walking through the wreckage while people are working their asses off to make their houses habitable again, just looking through windows or taking photos, and whenever I see these people, I just want to punch them. Now, I get that not everyone has the time to actually help people, but if you don't, then don't act like a fucking catastrophe tourist that is interested in the suffering of others. Just quietly walk past and do your business like any normal person would, don't let your family take pictures of you in front of flood-ravaged houses or something, that's pretty much the height of disrespect. Dickheads.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »
"Excuse me, Miss? Would you mind standing in front of that light pole? I'm taking a picture to send to my wife back home. Any chance you could look a little more decrepit? Yeah, that's the stuff!"
E.F. Benson

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
If you create a program
Rule 1. Close, closes the program. It does not simply minimize it to the system tray.
Rule 2. Right clicking on the program in the system tray or the task bar gives the close menu option. This menu option must adhere to rule 1.

Fuck you, skype and outlook.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
DEATH TO HACKERS!
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
And now we get to the lowest form of vermin, inspired by the Fuck Texas thread in P/R.

I'm a weird sorta guy. I don't mind thieves that much. Theft is a fact of life. That's not to say that I like them; I just don't get too bent out of shape about them. However, there are two sorts of thieves. There are those that steel your laptop out of an unlocked car, and there are those that break your window out to steel it. The latter group are probably the group of people I hate most on Earth. When some asshole stole the stereo out of my car, I shrugged, thought to myself that he did a fairly commendable job of getting it without destroying my dashboard*, and then went and bought a better one. This is opposed to the asshole who broke a $200 window to get a fuzz-buster that netted him $15 from a pawn shop. I hope that second guy's been shot by now for steeling the wrong piece of property.

*he even cut the wires after the harness, so the wiring wasn't all fucked up

I had an acquaintance once who owned a small business. Every night when he closed shop, he left the register ajar and $30 in it. I asked him why and he explained that the register was worth several hundred and it was cheaper to make it easier for the burglar than to replace the register. "Well, why give him anything at all," asked an inquisitive Barto. The amount of property in the store could run into tens of thousands of dollars if said burglar got pissed off and opted to trash the place. Best to appease him. Sound reasoning on both parts.

The thing is, there's a point where the damage exceeds the value, and as that increases, my contempt for the scumbag increases. Consider the asshole that destroyed $10k worth of my companies air conditioning to score $30 worth of copper. At this point you're displaying a degree of ASPD that truly boggles the mind. "I get whatever I want, and it makes no difference at all how bad the consequences to others are." This is a sociopath, and unfortunately, if I were to rewire the outdoor units to electrocute anybody who tried to pry the cover off, like my morally upright Christian boss recommended, I'd be the one to be punished.

Of course the modern version of these parasites are the people who make malware. A business model that involves wrecking hundreds of thousands of computers to rope in the 5% gullible enough to give them $30. There's no way to justify this other than being 100% devoid of empathy. Prince Nassim of Nigeria also preys on gullible saps, but he doesn't destroy property to find them.

I said I'm a weird sorta guy, and as a result, I rank these people below a lot of murderers. There are tons of reasons to kill somebody; some more valid than others. As I see it, even thought the consequences are more severe, the degree of psychopathy is no different between a person who ruins the computers of 100k innocent strangers, and the asshole that kills some old lady for $14 and her wedding band.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
Don't hold back dude - how do you really feel ? ;D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
You know what really grinds my gears?

People who don't take their shopping carts to the cart returns. I can understand if the only cart return is half a block away, that can be a real downer, but don't put your shopping cart behind my fucking car you lazy fucks! To add to that big fuck you note you just left me, I'M PARKED RIGHT NEXT TO THE FUCKING CART RETURN!

The laziness of the residents of Arizona doesn't even make sense anymore. This goes for inside the store as well.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: DEATH TO HACKERS!
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »

*he even cut the wires after the harness, so the wiring wasn't all fucked up
[/b]

There is honor amongst thieves.

I know, but I'm surprised.  I had my radio stolen out of my car and they trashed the wiring.  I'm surprised that there are some burglars who are, shall I say, considerate.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
People taking up the whole isle when food shopping and then they shoot you a dirty look when you say, "Excuse me."

I don't bite my tongue anymore to those assholes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
People driving in a different direction than they are looking. Got almost clipped the other day by a woman doing a U turn while looking backwards in her car.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Would anyone want to explain to me why (it seems) like most things are paid in cash in the US? A lot of posts here are about having change, but I almost never have more than 5€ with me - because you can pay with debit card literally everywhere. And I think that's kinda the norm here, everyone pays with card for everything.

The whole xx.99 pricing and advertising is just simple economics, better to be pissed of that the average person is stupid enough to be affected by it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
Would anyone want to explain to me why (it seems) like most things are paid in cash in the US? A lot of posts here are about having change, but I almost never have more than 5€ with me - because you can pay with debit card literally everywhere. And I think that's kinda the norm here, everyone pays with card for everything.
Most people do use debit cards nowadays. Cash is becoming the exception.

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but up until recently it was very easy for US banks to ding people with $30 overdraft fees for a simple mistake with a debit card. Nifty tricks like not posting a transaction for 2 days, so you make others thinking you have the cash in your account. I've never been hit with a fee for not having enough cash in my wallet. You have to remember that banks don't offer debit cards just to be swell guys. They make billions of dollars a year off of those overdraft fees. I didn't start using a debit card until they changed the laws which allowed me to opt out of so-called overdraft protection (one of the biggest scams ever).

On a side note, I was actually stuck behind a guy in the grocery store paying for something by check. I was amazed the girl at the register even knew how to process it.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »

People who don't take their shopping carts to the cart returns. I can understand if the only cart return is half a block away, that can be a real downer, but don't put your shopping cart behind my fucking car you lazy fucks! To add to that big fuck you note you just left me, I'M PARKED RIGHT NEXT TO THE FUCKING CART RETURN!
Fucking THIS.  I would just as soon slap someone upside the head as give them the time of day if I caught them doing this.  Sons of bitches.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
^^^Most livid non-modding post by Hef since 2006 :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

The whole xx.99 pricing and advertising is just simple economics, better to be pissed of that the average person is stupid enough to be affected by it.

I fuckin hate shops that still don't take card as payment. It's 2013 now ffs.

Just because I don't walk around with ALL MY MONEY in my pocket. . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
This isn't really an annoyance just a general amusing observation :

People who cannot use pedestrian crossings :lol

Seriously. First there's the ones who never cross the road unless the sign says cross - despite there being no cars for about a mile in either direction..

Secondly - the ones who still don't cross despite all the cars stopping at the same time for a good ten seconds or more. They just don't put 2 & 2 together

Thirdly - the ones ( this is mainly elderly people ) who wait for all the cars to stop. The sign lights up saying Cross, The thing is beeping. . . .

. . . And THEN they press the stop button and wait...  :facepalm: Geeze - what else do you need ffs ?

In the town where I used to live - there was a crossing to get to the UNI where I was studying and i'd worked out the exact timing of the traffic lights, so I knew exactly when it was safe to cross and it was always hilarious watching people who just didn't get that when one lane of intersecting trfaiic was moving - that obviously meant the other lane wouldn't be and would just stand there waiting  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
People who don't call me back.

Especially people who tell me "I'll call you within xxx days or hours..."  and.....nothing.  No call, ever. 

If you don't plan on calling me back, tell me you aren't calling me back you cunt-cheese oozing ass-berry.

Call me back and tell me you hate my fucking guts and you hope I die of schlong-rot, but call me back 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
^ Similarly - friends who say they'll absolutely come to your bands gig and you know they won't be there.

I'd be LESS hurt if they just said they couldn't make it straight up.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
People who flush the toilet (only urinals, though) before and after using.  I don't understand it.  Do they do that at home too?  Not likely.  What's the story?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
People who don't yield to others who are already in a round a bout / traffic circle... and those people who go around it THE WRONG FUCKING WAY
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »

Fucking THIS.  I would just as soon slap someone upside the head as give them the time of day if I caught them doing this.  Sons of bitches.

I honestly don't get this at all.  When I was younger, I worked as a bagger in a supermarket, and one of my duties was to go out into the lot every now and then and round up all the carts.  Some carts would be in the cart return.  Some would be in random places around the lot.  That was just how it was, and it was expected to be that way.  I never got mad when I had to get carts that weren't in the cart return, because there were always lots of carts that were not in the cart return.  Nobody else I worked with ever got mad about it either. 

When I'm shopping, I do the same thing.  If the cart return is close by and isn't full, I put the cart there.  If not, I make sure it is in the closest spot out of the way of cars and people (usually in the space in between the bumper of my car and the car parked opposite me that is facing me)--just like half the carts in the parking lot. 

Why the rage?  ???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
^^^Most livid non-modding post by Hef since 2006 :tup
LOL
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.