Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 502015 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
In the same vein, headhunters who won't tell you the name of the company they're trying to recruit for. It's like saying "I got a really awesome smartphone! Can't tell you which model, but want to give me $500 for it?"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:35 PM »
Rant

Yes, that craigslist mass item listing garbage is nonsense. But while I have seen the same on eBay, I have never encounted any problems searching for and finding what I am looking for. At least you can filter your search results.
The problem with the filters on eBay are that people list things in tons of different categories. And, the filters can only be so specific. I was looking for an xbox 360 controller, and while the filters will get you close, you still get tons of crap thrown in. Ten pages of gel cases and button mods. Plus a variety of PS3 controllers with the phrase (not Xbox 360) thrown into the description.

Then there are other times when the exact opposite is the problem. I buy cheap aviators from eBay about twice a year. Cheap sunglasses properly fit into 8 different categories on eBay, so all you can do is skip the filtering and go by keywords. That's not a big problem since you can tell easily by the picture if it's what you're looking for or not, but it's still an example of eBay just being plain-ass busted.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »
In the same vein, headhunters who won't tell you the name of the company they're trying to recruit for. It's like saying "I got a really awesome smartphone! Can't tell you which model, but want to give me $500 for it?"
This happens with car searches, as well. Any time something is subject to the hard sell, they'll leave crucial details out. They'll give you a low price, but omit the mileage and tranny type, or they'll tell you everything except the price, specifically to get you to call to ask. Scumbag salesmen are of the opinion that as long as they can get you to engage them they're in like Flynn.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »

It is hateful, I know.  But the reason for that is so you won't simply go to the employer's website and apply on your own.  Headhunters/employment agencies get nice fees for providing pre-screened candidates but if the employer can get you without paying the exorbitant finders fee, they often will.

What is very uncool is that employers often use more than one recruiter, as do job-seekers.  Not knowing the names of the employers might get a candidate in the unpleasant position of being presented more than once for the same job.  Which will then end up cancelling each other out and job seeker gets nothing.   :censored
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »
When people on internet forums show that they agree with an earlier post by just quoting that post and typing no text whatsoever. Congrats, you've added absolutely nothing to the conversation.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sueño

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
When people on internet forums show that they agree with an earlier post by just quoting that post and typing no text whatsoever. Congrats, you've added absolutely nothing to the conversation.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »

When I see this happening, I often think that there's an image used that doesn't show up and I quote the post, only to find that there's no such thing. So yeah, I agree with _floyd once again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »

What's worse is when people quote something and type their reply inside the quote because they're not paying attention  :yeahright
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
I do that often and I actually picked up on it here.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
I do that often and I actually picked up on it here.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »

What's worse is when people quote something and type their reply inside the quote because they're not paying attention  :yeahright

Yeah, that's also bothersome. It's a little less annoying though when they completely fuck up and the end of the post has "[/quote]" there instead of it being a cleanly-closed-off quote box since at least then it's obvious that you have to determine who said what.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
Hey!  Leave us old fogeys alone!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »

I don't understand the problem.  It's the same as saying, "I was going to type my own post, but this other guy basically said what I was going to say.  So I'm just going to endorse his post instead."

Is it necessary?  No.  But internet discussion is rarely (if ever) necessary, and we all do it anyway. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »

I don't understand the problem.  It's the same as saying, "I was going to type my own post, but this other guy basically said what I was going to say.  So I'm just going to endorse his post instead."

Is it necessary?  No.  But internet discussion is rarely (if ever) necessary, and we all do it anyway.

I also had never seen this practice until frequenting this forum. It's usually customary on most forums to add the ever verbose, "^". Or if you REALLY agree something like, "^^^^". Or even an emoticon like :iagree: So, the annoyance is likely a local product of DTF. That's irony.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DT.net Member
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »

I don't mean to be rude, it's just a minor pet peeve when it seems to occur in bunches

[/quote]

I get it. I just meant that the whole basis of that posting approach seems to be solely to convey concurrence with a point of view yet it's not saying anything that hasn't already been said. If you really care enough to quote the earlier post and feel that it's important enough that everyone know which way you stand on the matter, then chances are you'll probably have a few more reasons to validate your opinion on the matter. If you don't, then the original post was all that was necessary and you're not really doing anything more than spamming.

Offline sueño

« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »

I don't mean to be rude, it's just a minor pet peeve when it seems to occur in bunches

I get it. I just meant that the whole basis of that posting approach seems to be solely to convey concurrence with a point of view yet it's not saying anything that hasn't already been said. If you really care enough to quote the earlier post and feel that it's important enough that everyone know which way you stand on the matter, then chances are you'll probably have a few more reasons to validate your opinion on the matter. If you don't, then the original post was all that was necessary and you're not really doing anything more than spamming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y   :xbones   :angel: 

:P

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »
Out of curiosity, _floyd, if someone made a post that simply said "I agree with everything that guy said" rather than quoting 'that guy', would that be better, or would it still annoy you?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

• DT.net Member
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
About the same but at least it comes across less spamly with the typed text if nothing else. Basically, if you don't even feel like typing then do you really even feel like posting?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
About the same but at least it comes across less spamly with the typed text if nothing else. Basically, if you don't even feel like typing then do you really even feel like posting?

Add another word to the book of Floyd.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

Add another word to the book of Floyd.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
Sometimes, the fact that anything exists pisses me off. Sometimes i stand at the toilet, having the feeling of a full bladder, and then not being able to piss, pisses me right off. Sometimes I'll just be pissed off because.

Most of the time, actually.

Some people think I have a problem.

That pisses me off. SOMETIMES I'll get pissed off because I'm pissed off at something really stupid and then I get even more pissed off because I can't stop being pissed off about what pissed me off and so I get pissed off even more at the non-pissing off pissed off pissssssssssssssssssssss.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Chavs.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
Zubats and Geodudes.

P.S. The two people at work who know what pokemon is started calling me Geodude the other day after someone called me "George dude!", and then the one other guy said "OMG GEODUDE!" and now I'm fucked.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Bright House, Cable and Internet provider.
They are the racing stripe of Internet providers. I would not wish them upon my worst enemy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »

Is this really a big deal? Would adding "I agree" under the quote make a difference?

Posting this: :lol and nothing more isn't adding to the conversation either.

ninja'd by Jaffa, whatevs

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »
Here's one: bathroom locks. What's with some people staying at somebody else's place and doing a #2 without locking the door? I just walked into my roommate's bf and he apparently didn't feel it necessary to lock the door.
In the same vein, what's with a lot of places not even having locks?,
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »

:floydapproves:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
Here's one: bathroom locks. What's with some people staying at somebody else's place and doing a #2 without locking the door? I just walked into my roommate's bf and he apparently didn't feel it necessary to lock the door.

... So the door was closed, the light was on, and... you just turned the knob and walked in?

Quite frankly, that seems strange to me.  But maybe I'm just strange. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »

... So the door was closed, the light was on, and... you just turned the knob and walked in?

Was thinking the same thing.  When I see a bathroom door closed, the first thing I do before entering is knock.  I've never left a bathroom, and closed the door behind me.  Isn't it normal to assume that closed door = inhabitant?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »

No, not strange at all. In fact, you stole my damn post again!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
OK, I got one. There is a proper etiquette for public transportation, be it train or bus. You let the people get off before getting on. It is courtesey, it is a kindness, and it's not that fucking hard. I know you're in a hurry to get to work cause little Tommy shit himself on the way to pre-school, but bowling my ass over to get on the fucking train isn't gonna magically make the train go into hyperdrive. YOU AREN"T THAT FUCKING IMPORTANT, OK?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
OK, I got one. There is a proper etiquette for public transportation, be it train or bus. You let the people get off before getting on. It is courtesey, it is a kindness, and it's not that fucking hard. I know you're in a hurry to get to work cause little Tommy shit himself on the way to pre-school, but bowling my ass over to get on the fucking train isn't gonna magically make the train go into hyperdrive. YOU AREN"T THAT FUCKING IMPORTANT, OK?

I read that as little Tommy SHOT himself, and was about to call you a horrible fucking person.

Offline sueño

« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »

I agree, especially at someone else's house.  I would knock before entering any interior door. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »

High-five for great minds thinking alike? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
o/