Author Topic: Nekov's Roulette pt. 3 v. Welcome to the battlefield - The end is here  (Read 19179 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

REALLY? You know Bruford's solo albums too?!!?! Damn you!  :rollin

Oops  :lol

Missing Zantera, Windmaster and Mora
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Will send something pleasantly obscure today :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Will send something pleasantly obscure today :)
Good luck!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I will send you a song in an hour or so. Just gotta pick a good one.

EDIT: Song sent!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:38:31 AM by Zantera »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Only missing windmaster now

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 3- The girls took over the place

Player: MoraWintersoul
Artist: Elfonia
Song: Nuestro Descanso
Review: Well, Marcela’s voice is quite soothing and beautiful and suits this song perfectly however I found it to be a little too calm for my taste. I can’t really criticize what’s done in the song because I think it’s a well crafted song but again, not my cup of tea
Score: 3

Player: Lolzeez
Artist: Curved air
Song: Marie Antoinette
Review: Viva la Nacion! This was a fun song both because of the lyrics and the music, this being a well rounded classic prog with nice melodies and arrangements. The vocalist is quite good and though the voice is a little weird it fits the style of music quite well. The only down part is the middle when they stop and come up with something quite different, while it’s interesting it’s too unconnected.
Score: 5 + 1

-------------------------------------------------------

Player: King
Artist: Sarah McLachlan
Song: Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Review: Man, this woman can sing. I have encountered feelings here cause the music is a little dull but that sets a perfect scenario for her to show all her attributes. Not all the music is dull though, there are some nice guitar solos and the backing keyboards generate a nice atmosphere.
Score: 5 + 1

Player: Windmaster
Artist: Luna Mortis
Song: Ash
Review: Some nice metal here with strong riffs and a solid bassline. The drums are a little overplayed at some points but overall a good job is done. Now coming to the vocals, the singers voice is beautiful which brings me to the question, why the growls? So unnecessary. That brings the song down for me.
Score: 4

Player: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Artist: Heather Dale
Song: Mordred's Lullaby
Review: Another strong submission. The whole song is based on the dark mood that it generates and which is perfectly contrasted with the flutes. Another strong singer that seems to be very capable and does exactly what the song calls for at all times.
Score: 6 + 1

Player: UMH
Artist: Akphaezya
Song: Chrysalis
Review: As you said in the email, it’s amazing how versatile this woman is and how easily she changes styles. Unfortunately the rest of the band can’t keep up with the awesome. There are some great passages in this song but again it’s another case of the song being too unconnected and just drifting through different styles without spending enough time in each section to develop something worth of being remembered. And again I ask the same question, why the growls? Her normal voice is extremely beautiful.

Player: Scorpion
Artist: Dresden Dolls
Song: Mandy goes to med school
Review: I received a song from this band in one of my prior roulettes and I liked it a lot more than this one. The singer’s voice is quite good and a bit uncommon, at least to what I’m used to, but the music itself is quite uninteresting really, way too repetitive for it’s own good

Player: Zantera
Artist: Beach House
Song: Other People
Review: I felt so relaxed every time I listened to this song and it also made me smile which is always good. In this specific case the singers voice doesn’t stand out but it merges perfectly with the instrumentation. A soothing yet happy atmosphere is generated, supported by some simple drumming and nice keyboard melodies. I will have to check this further cause it goes right down my alley
Score: 7 + 1

Overall Scores

19 - Shadow Ninja 2.0
19 - King
15 - Lolzeez
14 - Zantera
12 - Scorpion
11 - Windmaster
11 - MoraWintersoul
10 - UMH

Round 4

The previous round was about vocalist so to put that in contrast this round will be without them. Send me an instrumental song.

This round's pairings

MoraWintersoul vs Windmaster

Lolzeez vs UMH

King vs Zantera

Shadow Ninja 2.0 vs Scorpion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
 :metal Woo!

I'll try to send later tonight. You're going down, Scorpion!

Not really. Don't hurt me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:49:59 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Cool!  I will dig into all my instrumentals to pull out a gem.  Good luck Zantera as well as Shadow Ninja 2.0.  The battle is on!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
BTW,  I loved the odd time beat by the drummer in Sarah's song.  That woman can weave atmosphere.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Goddammit I had thought you'd love that song! It's so catchy! Oh well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

It's interesting that you find that song catchy but that goes to show how differently people can experience music cause I didn't think it was catchy at all.
As I mentioned, I received the song Sing from TDD on a previous roulette and that one I do find to be very catchy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sent!

It's a shame you already listen to Gordian Knot, otherwise I would have sent them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:50:18 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Now this is gonna be good.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I knew I'd sort of fail that one :lol
dammit instrumental tracks *grumble grumble*

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

It's interesting that you find that song catchy but that goes to show how differently people can experience music cause I didn't think it was catchy at all.
As I mentioned, I received the song Sing from TDD on a previous roulette and that one I do find to be very catchy

I love Sing as well (hell, I love the whole album!) but that's the song that took the longest for me to get into, 'cause I found it too repetitive. Oh well, tastes and what have you.

I shall send tomorrow. I'm seriously knackered right now.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
sent!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Song sent!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Only missing Windmaster now

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry going to be a little late this round. I'm out of town and don't really have access to internet often. I'll try to send tonight.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
No worries man, we're doing real well with the timing so far  :smiley:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Sent the best piece of jazz fusion of all time.

Maybe if you don't count Pat Metheny.  :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a great song, already familiar with it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Lolzeez needs to re-send, after that it shouldn't be long before I post results

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:50:32 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Just Pmed Lolzeez. Still waiting for him to re-send

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Sorry dude,I had my last exam couple days ago and now SCHOOL'S OUT!  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
You really need to pay attention to my emails, I already know that song, and also the bonus song. Please send something else

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
You really need to pay attention to my emails, I already know that song, and also the bonus song. Please send something else
I never get them.  :-\

Edit:The E-mail app I'm using sucks ass. Gonna use something else from now on. Btw sent.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:34:26 AM by Lolzeez »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Got it. You're good with this one  :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
So yeah, results.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening and rating right now. You'll see results today (or tomorrow depending on your time zone  :P)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 4 Results

Player: MoraWinterSoul
Artist: Animals As Leaders
Song: CAFO
Review: This song starts out really powerful and a bit crazy, the guitar work done here is of the charts really as is the bass guitar playing. The way they handle the time signatures is flawless really and the same thing can be said for the execution. I specially enjoy the way they are able to mix all that craziness with the few bits of the song that are more calm. Overall it’s very solid though I lost a bit of interest after a couple of listens because they rely too much on their technical skills.
Score: 5

Player: Windmaser
Artist: Russian Circles
Song: Mladek
Review: The start of this song is just perfect, beautiful and upbeat with a guitar melody that is able to generate this feeling of being tightly embraced by something peaceful. It really surprised me how it goes from that to a darker mood the first time I listened to it but the transition works very well in the long run. All in all they manage to produce a tight sound which is quite captivating.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Player: Lolzeez
Artist: Extra Ball
Song: Narodziny
Review: Normally Jazz is a hit or miss for me and in this case you got a hit. I first I thought it was gonna go the other way because of the slow starts but then it picks up quite nicely, especially with the winds and the eclectic drumming. The guitar doesn’t stay behind either. The song ends where it started, slow and a bit random.
Score: 5

Player: UMH
Artist: Scale the Summit
Song: The Great Plains
Review: I’m not sure how to describe this song at all cause it works at so many levels. They manage to build a very good atmosphere with some very enjoyable melodies and they can transition into full prog mode without any kind of problem. The more proggy parts didn’t sound as natural and didn’t flow quite right yet I got caught up in them too.

Player: King
Artist: Steve Morse Band
Song: Cruise Missil
Review: I saw Steve live in the last G3 and it blew my mind but for some reason I didn’t look more into his solo work. I can only assume that the bass here is played by Larue because it kicks all kinds of ass and that something that stands out to me from Steve, even though it’s his show he lets the other guys in the band show off. Overall this song kicks ass.
Score: 6

Player: Zantera
Artist: Agalloch
Song: Odal
Review: I like this song yet it’s a bit hard for me to say why. It has a particular kind of intensity because at no point does it get heavy. I take this song as a journey really, at no point does it stay in a particular place even though it doesn’t make any drastic change, the transitions being very smooth. The ending throws it off with the wind sound mixed with those other weird sounds.
Score: 6

Player: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Artist: Lindsey Stirling
Song: Spontaneous Me
Review: Ah, the sweet sound of violin, one of my favorite instruments when it’s used right. Her execution is quite good and the melodies she creates are interesting and well crafted but overall the electronic super mainstream backing takes a bit of the magic away.
Score: 4

Player: Scorpion
Artist: Buckethead
Song: Hills of Eternity
Review: Wow, I never thought this guy was able to create such beautiful melodies. I always thought he was a weird guy that played weird music but I’m glad to be proven wrong. Basic drums but effective, provide a simple structure to support the guitar melodies that are quite perfect. Those random sounds are weird but somehow they fit the song quite well.

Totals

25 - King
23 - Shadow Ninja 2.0
20 - Lolzeez
20 - Zantera
19 - Scorpion
18 - Windmaster
17 - UMH
16 - MoraWintersoul

Round 5

This round we'll go with something that's fairly new. Send me something that was released between 2008 and now.
Match-ups for this round are as follows

MoraWintersoul vs UMH
Windmaster vs Zantera
Lolzeez vs Scorpion
King vs Shadow Ninja 2.0

I'll try to be faster from now on guys.