Author Topic: Nekov's Roulette pt. 3 v. Welcome to the battlefield - The end is here  (Read 19020 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Head to head!  Boom!

BTW the bass player on that album was Jerry Peek.  The dude had a whammy bar on his bass when I saw them open up for Rush on the Power Windows tour. :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Thank you, Hills of Eternity, for showing another person the amazingness that is Buckethead. You should definitely check out the album Colma, which is, like that song, very relaxing and chilled-out. You can find it on Spotify or YouTube in full.

New stuff... I'll have a think on this.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Goddamit Windmaster you outdid me :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Well played King... Well played...

Sending shortly.  :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
It was one hell of a round, you guys need to keep the level, except you King, give the rest a chance  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Lolzeez.

Not a chance Nekov.  I aim to win!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Sent! Let's rock.  :metal
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:50:52 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm debating on heavy or a quite song.  Mnnnnnn...........

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm debating on heavy or a quite song.  Mnnnnnn...........
A quite song would be quite an appropriate choice.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:51:02 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Or quiet! :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Are they throwing you off king?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

It's just annoying him while he has desert at after diner.

I'm hardly one to talk lately though
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Sent!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

It's just annoying him while he has desert at after diner.

I'm hardly one to talk lately though

Yeah you are! :lol

Will send a song tonight!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have loads of songs to send for this theme (god bless keeping current and reviewing stuff in the past few years), so I'll have to pick wisely.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
seeeeeeeeeeeeeeent!!!!!!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sending!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Just missing Windmaster and Lolzeez

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
I just can't decide  :lol

I'm gonna be taking a HUGE risk. But I just love the hell out of this song. I have to do it.
Edit:The band has actually released the album in instrumental form! So I'm sending that. BUT I can't find it on You Tube. So I'm gonna send MP3's.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:03:08 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Got all of them. Results tomorrow

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 5

Player: MoraWintersoul
Artist: Enochian Theory
Song: The Aching Isolation
Review: Slow start, slow build up and a good delivery. The cadence of the song is quite interesting and the melodies created are very nice. I like the keyboard work in particular providing a great background for the rest of the band to work. I’m not much of a fan of the singer, he’s OK but I’d prefer someone else. All in all, solid song from start to finish
Score: 5 + 1

Player: UMH
Artist: Ghost
Song: Ghuleh / Zombie Queen
Review: Weird song. I liked the piano work done all along the song but the changes from let’s call it “happy” to dark are a bit disconcerting. I like how the song goes to a more upbeat pace later but at the same time they include some weird (polka?) elements that I don’t feel fit the song quite well.
Score: 4

------------------------------------------------------------------

Player: Windmaster
Artist: Alcest
Song: Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles
Review: I was immediately immersed in this song, it creates an atmosphere from the start that doesn’t let you go. It felt nice while I was there until the growlings and blast beats come into place. I didn’t hate them cause the guitar work is used in contrast with that so it doesn’t feel extreme but still that’s out of my comfort zone. The second half of the song is even more interesting than the first, starting slow and building up more and more until it settles in another captivating atmosphere.
Score: 6 + 1

Player: Zantera
Artist: Pure Reason Revolution
Song: The Gloaming
Review: Usually electronic music is not my thing but in this case you nailed it, particular because of how those elements interact with the piano. The percussion is also quite good, especially since it sounds very natural for the most part but then again, in the long run it’s still something I enjoy in bits and pieces. I’ll listen to this guys a bit more to see what else they have to offer.
Score: 5

Player: Lolzeez
Artist: The Ocean
Song: Bathyalpelagic . Parts 1 - 3 (instrumental)
Review: Another song that has a great piano work accompanied by a huge intensity from the rest of the band. This is very technical but not going over the edge, managing to produce some good guitar riffs mixed with a great time signature management. That is until the 3rd part, where everything becomes more dense, throwing blast beats and going for unnecessary speed.

Player: Scorpion
Artist: Diablo Swing Orchestra
Song: A Tap Dancer’s Dilemma
Review: So much groove on this song mixed with a distorted guitar which goes great. I love the female vocal accompaniment but I don’t care much for the kinda spoken male vocals. They are great at transitioning the upbeat sections with the more calm ones and the bass work is perfect at keeping the rhythm.

Player: King
Artist: Jolly
Song: Dust Nation Bleak
Review: I enjoyed the chorus but the rest of the song didn’t appeal to me. Even though I like metal this particular kind is not my cup of tea, it seems a bit too chaotic.
Score: 3 + 1

Player: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Artist: Tom Waits
Song: Hell Broke Luce
Review: Hmm, well this is nowhere near my ballpark. There are some bits and pieces that seem alright but Tom’s voice is just horrible and the song can’t seem to catch my attention.
Score: 2

Totals so far

29 - King
25 - Scorpion
25 - Windmaster
25 - Zantera
25 - Shadow Ninja 2.0
24 - Lolzeez
22 - MoraWintersoul
21 - UMH

Round 6
I want something that has an uncommon instrument in it. Common instruments would be guitar, bass, piano/keyboards, drums.
Matchups:

MoraWintersoul vs Zantera
UMH vs Scorpion
Windmaster vs Shadow Ninja 2.0
Lolzeez vs King

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Ah, well. Tom's voice certainly isn't for everybody. :lol

Unusual instruments... this could take some time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:51:24 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lucky for me Shadow Ninja crapped out as well! :lol

I've got the oddest instrument used in a song ever but it's nor a prog song.  Hell, it's not Rock but the lyrics are freaking awesome.  I'll have to think about this one.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Didgeridoo?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:51:33 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hm, will have to think on this one. Glad you liked Alcest - they are one of my favorite bands.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I considered sending that Jolly song too :lol will have to think.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sending! I love this one, hope you'll love it as well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sent!

:partyinpartyinyeah:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:51:44 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Song sent!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just sent the weirdest instrument used and the shortest song in this roulette I bet.  SENT!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Only missing Lolzeez now

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Sending now. Would you consider the flute an unusual instrument?

Edit:sending now

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try to post results tonight guys.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 6

Player: MoraWintersoul
Artist: A Forest of Stars
Song: Left Behid as Static
Review: The mix of string instruments is pretty neat at the beginning and it goes very well with the percussion and then from that little intro transitions very smoothly to the more intense part. I’m not into the singer to be honest but since he doesn’t participate a lot that’s OK. I also didn’t enjoy the section where the drums go into an almost blast beat, I feel that’s quite unnecessary but overall I enjoyed the song, even though it’s intense I felt a sense of calm.
Score: 5

Player: Zantera
Artist: The River Empires
Song: A Toast to the Snake King
Review: Man, banjo is such a great instrument and one of my favorites when it’s played the right way. I enjoy every aspect of this song, the smooth vocals accompanied by the great vocal arrangements, the constant upbeat drumming that never seems in excess, the violin melodies, the smooth transitions, just everything.
Score: 7 + 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Player: UMH
Artist: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Song: Angle of Repose
Review: Is there something you listen that is not weird? :lol The song starts a bit slow but then it turned into something weird which made me think of King Crimson  and turned to a strange mix of atmospheric prog mixed with a more technical approach. The song is definitely sustained in the  use of out of the ordinary instruments and all of them are put to a good use. Not a fan of the singer to be honest, her voice is a bit harsh at times.

Player: Scorpion
Artist: Caravan Palace
Song: Brotherswing
Review: I love the vibe they are able to come up sustained by a very good bass work. Nevertheless the excess of electronic elements brings it down for me. The singers voice is very adequate to the song and the wind instrument fits quite well too.

Player: Windmaster
Artist: Dropkick Murphys
Song: The Irish Rover
Review: This was so fun to listen to, very irish indeed. I’m not crazy about the vocals in the song though I guess they fit the song. There’s not much I can say about the instrumentation, Irish music well played but nothing special about it
Score: 4 + 1

Player: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Artist: Shining
Song: I won’t forget
Review: Well, the intro to the song is nice but then it loses any appeal it had. The vocals are harsh and while they fit the song, this is not the kind of metal I enjoy. The intensity is right but the instrumentation isn’t
Score: 3

Player: King
Artist: Guster
Song: Barrel of a Gun
Review: Sweet song, very soothing and enjoyable. The bongo playing adds a lot to ir, the singer’s voice is fantastic and the guitar work is just so smart. I like how it manages to switch the mood in such little time and still be fitting. And holy shit typewriter solo :lol. I can’t say it adds much to the song but it’s quite fun
Score: 6 + 1

Player: Lolzeez
Artist: Comus
Song: The Bite
Review: Good classic prog here. The song is driven by the flute and very well. The vocals are a bit annoying and bring the song down because they are very present. I think without that this song could be a lot better because the melodies and are quite interesting and the execution is very good.

Totals so far

36 - King
33 - Zantera
30 - Windmaster
29 - Scorpion
28 - Lolzeez
28 - Shadow Ninja 2.0
27 - UMH
27 - MoraWintersoul

Round 7

I want to hear something acoustic.

Morawintersoul vs Scorpion
Zantera vs Shadonw Ninja 2.0
UMH vs King
Windmaster vs Lolzeez