Poll

How many hours of TV do you watch a week?

0 - 1 hour
10 (23.8%)
1 - 2 hours
4 (9.5%)
2 - 5 hours
8 (19%)
5 - 7 hours
3 (7.1%)
7 - 9 hours
6 (14.3%)
9 - 12 hours
1 (2.4%)
12 - 15 hours
5 (11.9%)
15 - 20 hours
1 (2.4%)
20 - 25 hours
2 (4.8%)
Over 25 hours
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: The Scientific TV Study Poll  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Scientific TV Study Poll
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
My theory is the younger the person, the less TV they watch. I think the amount increases as life becomes more domesticated.
Reply with your age and answer if you are so inclined.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Scientific TV Study Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
7-9 sounds about right, but I sleep with the tube on. So really it's like 3-4.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
0-1, I guess. My wife watches quite a bit more, so I end up 'seeing' a lot of shows in the background. I'm rarely paying close attention to them, though. Sports are the one thing that ups my viewing time, but that's not even an every week thing during seasons, since I only watch out of market teams and don't have cable.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
5-7 hours sounds about right for shows being in season, other than that it's either 0-1 or 1-2. (age 42)

Edit:  Aw, shoot - forgot to factor in football season. :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »
Not including sports ... 7-9 seems legit.  A few of the regular shows we watch are family oriented, and I likely wouldn't be watching them if not for the kids and it being family time.

Hockey playoffs, golf majors, the odd regular season football game, and football playoffs all skew that though.

41 here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
I guessed 12-15.  I watch TV maybe 2-3 hours a day during the week (more on Wednesdays when NOVA is on for 2 hours on PBS).  Weekends are variable; sometimes I don't watch any TV at all and sometimes its on most of the day while I'm futzing around with other things.  I wouldn't be surprised if I am underestimating my TV watching, though.  Not having cable helps a lot.  Any time I visit my parents who do have cable, I realize that I'm not missing out on anything.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
double post.

Wasn't there an option to delete posts at one time??

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »
7-9 hours, primarily recorded shows. And it's usually in chunks....late Friday and Saturday nights after the husbandry and parental duties are over....I'll Veg out those two nights.

I'm 37, like long walks on the beach and enjoy light hearted comedies.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
I went 20 to 25. For me its about 21 a week. I watch about 3 hours a day between morning news and evening sports.
This number is less in Summer than Winter but I watch more TV than I should in general.

When I was in my early 20's I didn't really watch TV at all. Maybe 5 hours a week tops.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Even though I'm fairly "domesticated" (married almost 13 years) I don't watch a lot of TV.  I just don't have the time.  I get up at 3:30am to be at the gym by 4:30am.  I am at the gym until 6:45am and then I go to work.  I usually work until about 5pm.  I get home at 5:45pm and practice piano or work on music projects until my wife gets home, usually by about 7:00pm.   Then we sometimes watch an hour to maybe 90 minutes (max) of television, and even that isn't really "television" per se, since we mostly watch rented DVDs from Netflix.  (although these are usually programs that originally aired on TV, I hate commercials, so watching them via Netflix is vastly superior to watching them when the air)

Wednesday nights I don't watch any TV at all because of band rehearsals being from 7:00pm to 10:30pm, but weekends we watch about maybe 2 hours on Sunday.

My entire week probably consists of a total of 7 or 8 hours at most.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
From age 5 to about age 18, I watched around 8-10 hours a day of Television. Unfortunately I was kind of raised by it.

At age 25, I maybe watch 1 hour a week at most. With the exception of a show here of there, like Walking dead for instance, I have completely abandoned watching Television. There is almost nothing I have any desire to watch, and I feel physically nauseous in the presence of any type of reality TV, which sadly saturates the airwaves. Ultimately, I would rather make up for all the years I wasted in front of one by being out doing things.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
52 years old. 7-9 hours per week is what I answered but on second thought, once the current show season ends it will probably drop to just a few hours per week until the fall when football starts up. Mrs. Podaar and I rarely watch TV during the summer months. Shes... well, younger than me.  ;)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
and obviously watching NetFlix and other such things counts as time watching TV.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
Even though I'm fairly "domesticated" (married almost 13 years) I don't watch a lot of TV.  I just don't have the time.  I get up at 3:30am to be at the gym by 4:30am.  I am at the gym until 6:45am and then I go to work.  I usually work until about 5pm.  I get home at 5:45pm and practice piano or work on music projects until my wife gets home, usually by about 7:00pm.   Then we sometimes watch an hour to maybe 90 minutes (max) of television, and even that isn't really "television" per se, since we mostly watch rented DVDs from Netflix.  (although these are usually programs that originally aired on TV, I hate commercials, so watching them via Netflix is vastly superior to watching them when the air)

Wednesday nights I don't watch any TV at all because of band rehearsals being from 7:00pm to 10:30pm, but weekends we watch about maybe 2 hours on Sunday.

My entire week probably consists of a total of 7 or 8 hours at most.
I kind of forgot my band practice night. Thursdays is mine and strangely mine is from 7 to 10:30 as well!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »
2-5 hours for my favorite shows.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
Don't own a TV. I stream stuff.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 03:08:31 PM »
9-12. Mostly baseball games.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I will say this though. While I will generally watch up to 20 hours a week between news, sports, and my shows, I don't play any video games at all. So that occupy s none of my time. See...this poll has me feeling guilty about watching too much TV. :tick2:

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
About 1-2, occasionally up to 3 or 4. This time is spent streaming/watching TV shows on DVD though, as my family cancelled out satellite subscription due to it being a complete rip-off for the minimal amount of time we watched it.

Edit: I'm 17.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:19:43 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
Basically the only thing I watch on TV is sports, 99% of which consists of football and basketball.  Don't have time to watch much, I would guess 7-9 hours a week lately, just because the NBA playoffs are on right now and my schedule happens to be accommodating my viewing of them in the evenings. :lol

I'm 27 years young.

-J

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
About 5-7 on average, I'd guess. Most of that comes from sports. I'm 18.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
I chose 2-5. Most of the shows I watch aren't on TV. I never watch TV just for the sake of it to pass time, I only watch something if it's a show that's good enough to go out of my way to watch.
My dad on the other hand, will watch whatever happens to be on for lack of anything better to do.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
16, 5-7
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
I voted over 25 hours, and I'm 29. Though I wouldn't say I do that every week, just most weeks. My result is a little skewed though, because I'm an insomniac.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
I never watch TV just for the sake of it to pass time, I only watch something if it's a show that's good enough to go out of my way to watch.
I'm the same way.

I just don't get how anyone can spend hours a day watching TV. I spent a week with my grandfather a few summers ago and I couldn't believe how much TV he and his wife watched. First thing in the morning it was Good Morning America. Then it was talk shows, game shows, court shows, Ice Road truckers, sitcom re-runs, America's Got Talent, news etc for the rest of the day.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
Is this counting watching TV shows online? I don't have a TV, just my computer.

But with that, it's probably about 3-4 hours a week between Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, then some random netflix.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Is this counting watching TV shows online? I don't have a TV, just my computer.

But with that, it's probably about 3-4 hours a week between Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, then some random netflix.
yes, your computer counts.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
18, and I rarely, if ever watch TV, so 0-1 hour it is.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
23 and don't have a telly, and largely don't really bother watching things (exceptions being David Attenborough prorammes, Michael Palin programmes and the current series of Doctor Who.) Thus 0-1 hours.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D