Author Topic: Arrested Development Season 4 Trailer V. The Bluth's Are Back  (Read 4647 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Arrested Development Season 4 Trailer V. The Bluth's Are Back
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
Besides not having the main cast in every episode, the show essentially picked up right where it left off.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
Just wrapped up the Tobias episode, and I have to say it left me a little underwhelmed. Considering how it began, I was expecting one of those big Seinfeld-type wrap-ups where everything comes crashing together, and it never really came. It certainly had plenty of laughs. I just felt like it could have been quite a bit better. That said, I'm pretty much expecting all of these to improve as the series progresses. In a month I'll rewatch the whole thing and probably find all of these significantly better.

One thing that has been bugging me about these is that they'll occasionally obscure something to have the reveal later. Obviously, delayed punchlines are a big part of the show, something we all love about it, but I don't recall them being so overt in hiding things before. There have been times where I've rewound the thing to try and figure out what somebody said, or what something showed (Tobias's license plate, for example), only to find that it was unintelligible or obscured by a glare on the window. Seems to me like in the past they would have just shown the ANUS*TART, we would have said "damn, that's certainly peculiar," and then figured out the back-story later. You laugh twice that way. This way you just go "oh, another joke they'll explain later." Not as funny either time around, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
Marathoned it today, I really liked it. The ending was kind of a let down, but overall it was a great watch. With how it's structured I definitely feel like it's something that will only be better on a second viewing, so I'm excited for that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:01 AM »
Netflix should have considered releasing these on a weekly basis or something. Catering to the binge viewers has allowed hype of the show to start dying as soon as it's released.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
I can almost guarantee it will be better with repeated viewings. The first three seasons of the show operated the exact same way, so I can't imagine this one being any different.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
I really have enjoyed what I watched thus far. In no way is it as superb as the original three seasons, but it's still Arrested Development, and for the struggles they had in producing it, and the limitations of the actors who could film together, I think they've done a great job. The story lines are still spread far and wide and eventually tie together, which I love, and the actors themselves are still able to pull off their own characters superbly (namely Tobias and Gob.)

I think repeat viewings will help improve the season, but overall it's still a great comedy and I'm just really happy they brought it back.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »
Not really feeling this season.  There are some moments of brilliance here and there, but overall a lot of it seems forced.  It seems to be going for "clever" rather than "funny": it's tying to go for the most complex storytelling rather than just good storytelling.

Also the episodes are really padded.  The editing simply isn't there.  I'm thinking these episodes would be much better with 5-6 minutes at least trimmed off each.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44:15 AM »
I'm shocked at the negativity.   I think it is absolutely brilliant, and I'm laughing just as hard as I did at the first three seasons.   

Saw the second Tobias episode last night (the F4 Musical episode) and I about busted a gut.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 05:04:05 AM »
Not really feeling this season.  There are some moments of brilliance here and there, but overall a lot of it seems forced.  It seems to be going for "clever" rather than "funny": it's tying to go for the most complex storytelling rather than just good storytelling.

Also the episodes are really padded.  The editing simply isn't there.  I'm thinking these episodes would be much better with 5-6 minutes at least trimmed off each.
Completely agree with this. Especially the part about trimming the episodes.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 06:07:43 AM »
I would agree with most of the complaints while I was watching the first 2 or 3 episodes, but from episode 4 and on I thought this season really hit it's stride right up until the end. The two Gob episodes are my favorites, closely followed by the Maeby episode.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
This is a good point. I remember watching the unedited pilot version a while back, and finding it quite a bit less funny than the TV version. A couple of extra minutes can really throw the timing off.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the new season, so far. The criticisms are valid, I do think they're forcing some things, but it's still very good television. Furthermore, I doubt anybody's given it a second viewing yet, and I think we can all agree that it'll be better the second time around.  A consequence of this format of story-telling is that it's real hard to wrap your head around all of the separate aspects. Big-picture knowledge will make it a very different series.

I think Heartfire was the best idea for a character, to date. A mute who's smart enough to know what's going on, and constantly providing her thoughts without interfering with the rest of the characters is a brilliant idea for this sort of series. Shame they didn't make better use of her.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
I just re watched seasons 1 through 3. going to watch the new one tomorrow. im excited.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
Netflix should have considered releasing these on a weekly basis or something. Catering to the binge viewers has allowed hype of the show to start dying as soon as it's released.
People are already shitting on it after watching just one episode. If they realeased it on a weekly basis it would have bombed.
The whole season was made to be watched in a binge.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
I found it funny that some of the news outlets are bashing the new season because critics are not impressed. The critics weren't impressed with the first 3 seasons, so what exactly is new about that?  :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
I found it funny that some of the news outlets are bashing the new season because critics are not impressed. The critics weren't impressed with the first 3 seasons, so what exactly is new about that?  :lol

The first three seasons were very well critically acclaimed. They didn't get good ratings, and it was marketed horribly.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »

The first three seasons were very well critically acclaimed. They didn't get good ratings, and it was marketed horribly.
My point is that the critics don't necessarily matter, especially for a series like Arrested Development. One of the major reasons for the show to even come back was the show's viewer following. The critics and the way they view the show are irrelevant. At this point, it's all about how the new season of Arrested Development affects Netflix subscriptions.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
I'm shocked at the negativity.   I think it is absolutely brilliant, and I'm laughing just as hard as I did at the first three seasons.   

Saw the second Tobias episode last night (the F4 Musical episode) and I about busted a gut.

My exact opinion!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
Not going to read much here as I want to keep spoilers to a minimum, but I watched the first 4 episodes of this show on Amazon Prime and I think I'm just going to go ahead and order the 1-3 set.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »

Arrested Development was critically acclaimed from the get-go.  Among other things, it won the Emmy for Best Comedy for its first season.  The notion that a lot of fans are spreading around that critics never liked it is just revisionist history meant to discredit critics who have legitimate criticisms of this season.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »
Yeah, critics loved it all along. It just got awful ratings. I suspect this time around it'll be the exact opposite.

As for myself, I think it's too convoluted. At this point (11 episodes in), I have no idea who wants what anymore. Maybe it'll make more sense the second time around, but between Oscar, george, both Luciles and the wall, I have no idea where anybody stands anymore. I also think there were a couple of ideas that they didn't explore enough. I have hope that the maybe episode might elaborate on Tobias and To Entrap a Predator, as that could have been spectacular, but never really went anywhere in his episode.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Lindsay was ruined. Part of the charm of her character was that, despite her looks and willingness, she was never able to have the affair she wanted. And now she can? It just feels lazy and character growth that wasnt needed.