Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. And The Winner Is.....  (Read 40266 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Now Listening to Round 2 Songs
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
:corn

Think I'm gonna go buy me some stock in Kernels
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
At the pace the doctor is moving at, that would be a prudent investment.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
At the pace the doctor is moving at, that would be a prudent investment.

I think we need to get him some Head & Shoulders, and upgrade him to a 'medium' pace.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Dr. DTVT

Band: Dimension Act
Album: Manifestation of Progress
Song: Industrial Evilution

Dimension Act is a Norwegian melodic progressive metal band.  Their debut album, "Manifestation of Progress" was released in 2012 and if the submitted track, "Industrial Evilution" is representative of what is on that album, I'd say they've hit the scene with a bang.   The music is tight and crunchy with plenty of keyboards to enhance the texture.  I hate making comparisons to Dream Theater because it's almost a cliche, but it reminded me a bit of Awake-era Dream Theater.  That's not to say they are clones.  Far from it.   While they certainly are delivering fairly typical music for the genre, it's definitely well-crafted and performed by skilled musicians.  My only slight criticism, and what I would consider the weak spot in this band, is the vocalist.   The vocals are OK, but I tend to be a little on the fussy side when it comes to vocals and there was something about the timbre of this guy's voice that didn't sit well with me all the time.  That said, the backing vocals helped quite a bit to make up for that.  All in all, a very good submission.
Score: 7.5

Elite

Band: Touchstone
Album: Wintercoast
Song: Original Sin

Touchstone is a progressive rock band from Hertfordshire, England that formed in 2001.  "Wintercoast" is the band's second full-length release (2009) and has been compared stylistically to Marillion, but also features some heavier, guitar-driven music which sometimes garners the band a "heavy metal" label.  "Original Sin" is the 6th track on this album and is a ballad.  It's a nice song with nice melodies and good instrumentation.  The vocalist, Kim 'Elkie' Seviour, has a beautiful voice.   And the lyrics seem spiritual, which makes sense given the title.  I like a good ballad and this one is decent, but I didn't really connect with it all that much.  I often found myself wondering if it was almost over so I could get to the next song.
Score: 6.5

ich bin besser

Band: Diablo Swing Orchestra
Album: Pandora's Pinata
Song: Voodoo Mon Amour (Pandora's Pinata)

Diablo Wing Orchestra is a Swedish avant-garde metal band formed in 2003.  "Pandora's Pinata" and in fact all of their music is a mix of influences ranging from progressive and symphonic metal to classical to jazz.  The instrumentation is an interesting mix of traditional metal pieces (distorted guitar, bass, keys) and horns (trombone and trumpet).  I have to be honest:  My first impression was along the lines of WTF?  But it grew on me after a few listens.  I'm not too crazy about the female lead vocals in the beginning of the song, but she dialed back the operatic style as the song progressed, so it was OK in the long run.  The musicianship here is off the hook.  These people can definitely jam.  And I am very impressed on that front.  I don't know that this is a style of music that I'd actually have any long-term interest in listening to, but in the context of this competition, it was a pretty cool submission that came with some risk, given that ich bin besser has known me for the better part of a decade, perhaps longer.
Score: 7

jingle.boy

Band: Powerworld
Album: Human Parasite
Song: Human Parasite

Powerworld is a German power metal band and "Human Parasite" is their second album, released in 2010.  This is straight-up, hard rocking power metal with all of the trimmings.  Heavy, guitar-riff-driven music, acrobatic guitar solos, a big, huge sing-along chorus.  There really isn't too much more to say about a band like this.  Quality music, quality vocals, great instrumentation.  Probably my only slight beef with the track would be that it gets just a tiny bit repetitive with the chorus, but that's just nit-picking.

lonestar

Band: Karnya
Album: Coverin' Thoughts
Song: When The Silence Remains

"Coverin' Thoughts" is the debut album from Italian Power/Progressive Metal band Karnya.  I am, in a word, blown away by this band.  Definitely going on my list to buy this album.  The guitars are crunch as hell and the keyboards are also smokin'.  Guitar solos, keyboard solos, amazing dual harmony keyboard/guitar solos, and the vocalist delivers too.  I really can't wait to hear the rest of this album.  Quite an incredible piece of work, especially for a debut.  Everything about this reeks of quality and craftsmanship.   The song feels almost like a journey and its abrupt ending leaves me feeling spent and frankly wanting more. 
Score: 9

nekov

Band: Aghora
Album: Formless
Song: Open Close The Book

Aghora is a Miami, FL based progressive metal band with two albums, the first of which featured two member of the progmetal band Cynic.  Their second album "Formless" was released in 2006 and that is where this track came from.  The music is dense with pounding double-bass/heavy riffing intermixed with ambient passages with a female vocalist singing a lead melody in what sounds like either Phrygian or Harmonic Minor mode, which gives her vocals an exotic slant.   She's certainly a decent vocalist, but perhaps a bit one-dimensional.  The guitarist in this band is absolutely incredible.   A listen or two with headphones uncovered a few more layers to this music that were not immediately apparent when listening on the car stereo.  It's got a subtle complexity to it that I find compelling, but I found the non-stop double-bass drum to be somewhat distracting at times. 
Score: 6.5

obscure

Band: The Great Gamble
Album: Book 1
Song: Breach At Fort Mycenae

This.Fucking.Band.Rocks.  Hard to believe they're not signed.  In a crowded genre full of Dream Theater wannabees and progmetal cliches, somehow this band manages to sound fresh and different.  Part of it probably has to do with the vocalist, who is, so far in this competition, the best pure vocalist I've heard.  There are almost no effects on the vocal tracks on this album.  Just a pinch of reverb.  Dude has awesome pipes and great, bold texture.  The music is sophisticated, but not overly so.  I absolutely LOVE the use of solo violin in spots.  The stripped down production manages to sound robust on the strength of the performances, songwriting and musicianship.   Stellar stuff here.
Score: 9.5

Scorpion

Band: Ring of Fire
Album: Dreamtower
Song: Until The End of Time

Ring of Fire is an American neoclassical progressive/power metal band from California that formed in 2000, fronted by former Yngwie J. Malmsteen collaborator Mark Boals after the release of his solo album "Ring of Fire," the band also included guitarist Tony MacAlpine, "Planet X" drummer Virgil Donati, grammy-award winning bassist Philip Bynoe, and keyboardist Steve Weingart. Ring of Fire released three studio albums between 2001 and 2004.  This particular song reminded me quite a bit of early Symphony X, but the extremely high-pitched vocals were a bit distracting.  Tony MacAlpine is a killer player and naturally the drumming was great as well.  I found the lyrics here to be a bit on the goofy/cheesy side, which I sometimes actually enjoy, but somehow the mixture of neoclassical themes, ball-pinching vocals, and lyrics about journeys to distant stars didn't really add up for me. 
Score: 6

TAC

Band: Odd Dimension
Album: Symmetrical
Song: Light Speed Journey

Odd Dimension is a progressive metal band from Italy.  Plenty of keyboards and crunchy guitars in the 3+ minute intro to the submitted track.  Musically, I loved it, but the vocals (here I go again!) would definitely be an acquired taste for me.  I admit that I am a bit fussy when it comes to vocals.  But vocals aside, this music is very nice with great melodic sensibilities and some very good instrumentation.  I really enjoyed the piano refrain of the main melody around the 6:45 mark.   Not much else to add here.  I think if I can wrap my head around this vocalist, I'd definitely want to further explore this band.

wolfking

Band: Eyefear
Album: The Unseen
Song: The Unseen

Eyefear is a progressive metal band from Australia.  Musically, I was reminded of Evergrey.  And the vocal melodies definitely helped with this as did the dark imagery of the lyrics and the dark mood of the music....bordering at times on an almost doom-ish sound.  About 1/2 of the vocals are delivered in harmonies.   Some pretty killer guitar and synth solo trade-offs in the middle of the song prevent it from getting a bit too repetitive.  All in all, I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.  I actually really liked the riff that was used as an outtro and sort of wanted to hear that expanded upon.
Score: 7

Leader Board:

obscure - 17.5
lonestar - 17
TAC - 15.5
Dr. DTVT - 15
wolfking - 15
scorpion 14.5
jingle.boy - 14
Elite - 13.5
nekov - 13.5
ich bin besser - 13.5

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 2 Results Up!
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
All right!  Movin on up.  Lots of awesome tracks there (fortunately, not gonna cost me a ton of money since I've got a few of these already).  Checkin out the rest this afternoon.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
Nice, Karnya's album is rock solid, beginning to end. Just an unbelievable debut.

Now, I need just the right song to surpass the Lady....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
 :sad:

I thought you were going to dig that one. Maybe that song wasn't the best choice but you should check the band for sure.

Will be sending shortly

Edit: Sent
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:33:49 PM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Holy crap!!! It's so much fun to send tunes to someone whose musical understanding you can trust!!!!

also...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
Round 3 submitted.

Wow, the vocal pickiness has me rethinking my Round 4 submission. Damn, and it's a great track too.

Still, 3rd place after two rounds in this field, I can live with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
OK gents and Lady, sending in round 3. See if I can knock Nem off of that top spot.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
To help people out, here are some of my top vocalists:

Andy Engberg (Speaking To Stones, Section A)
Russell Allen (EARLY Symphony X, Ayreon)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Ray Alder (Fates Warning, Redemption)
Neal Morse (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse Band)
Hasse Froberg (The Flower Kings, Hasse Froberg and the Musical Companion)
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
Well now I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.  I was sure I knew what I was about to send, but now seeing this favorite vocalist list, and I'm torn.  Either way, I got a feeling a Jesse "The Body" approach will be coming soon ... win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

How early?  Their debut??  :neverusethis:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
Well now I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.  I was sure I knew what I was about to send, but now seeing this favorite vocalist list, and I'm torn.  Either way, I got a feeling a Jesse "The Body" approach will be coming soon ... win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

How early?  Their debut??  :neverusethis:

Didn't really care much for Rod Tyler, no  ;)

But I like Damnation Game more than either of their last two albums.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
Second round in a row without having to re-send makes me feel good about my musical knowledge  :hat

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Second round in a row without having to re-send makes me feel good about my musical knowledge  :hat
Yup. That's a victory in itself!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
Hmmm...no clue as to what to dish up this round.  I thought mine would have scored a little higher, especially after seeing your fav singers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
Hmmm...no clue as to what to dish up this round.  I thought mine would have scored a little higher, especially after seeing your fav singers.
Yeah, maybe he should change his name to Kirksearhair.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
RJ, that song is awesome.  I'm listening to that album now on Spotify.  Loving it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Yeah, maybe he should change his name to Kirksearhair.   ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
RJ, that song is awesome.  I'm listening to that album now on Spotify.  Loving it.

It is a serious ass kicker. Pretty damn close to starting a thread about them, they are so damn good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

It is a serious ass kicker. Pretty damn close to starting a thread about them, they are so damn good.

what the fuck is stopping you???  You know a bunch of us will pile on, and start a following just like Beyond The Bridge.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
ok :)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
*goes to find that thread*

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2013, 02:36:25 AM »
Hmm, maybe I should have sent a different Touchstone song.. Well, there's still rounds to go, so I'm not exactly out of the game yet. Bring it on!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13:32 AM »
I have to be honest:  My first impression was along the lines of WTF?  [...]
 but in the context of this competition, it was a pretty cool submission that came with some risk, given that ich bin besser has known me for the better part of a decade, perhaps longer.

No risk, no fun.  :hat
Let's see what else I can find.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2013, 06:17:40 AM »
I have to be honest:  My first impression was along the lines of WTF?  [...]
 but in the context of this competition, it was a pretty cool submission that came with some risk, given that ich bin besser has known me for the better part of a decade, perhaps longer.

No risk, no fun.  :hat
Let's see what else I can find.

I admire your spirit, my friend  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2013, 07:28:37 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KirksNoseHair's Simple Roulette v. Round 3 - Submit Now!
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:05 AM »
Round 3.  Let's get it on!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Hmm, maybe I should have sent a different Touchstone song..

I'll be honest, I got some of Touchstone's albums to write reviews on, and I think the absolute best I could have given any of them was C- so I didn't write anything, and that would have been a generous C- since the album I gave a C is much better.  Nothing caught my attention, it sounded like homogenized generic prog.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
Hmm, maybe I should have sent a different Touchstone song..

I'll be honest, I got some of Touchstone's albums to write reviews on, and I think the absolute best I could have given any of them was C- so I didn't write anything, and that would have been a generous C- since the album I gave a C is much better.  Nothing caught my attention, it sounded like homogenized generic prog.

They've been coming up in my Amazon.com recommendations for a long time.  I've listened to samples a few times, and checked out a few youtube videos but never really felt compelled to pull the trigger.  The track Elite submitted was OK, but like the other stuff I've heard it didn't really leave me wanting to hear more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:52 AM »
SONG SENT!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:51 AM »
I've got half the submissions for round 3 so far.  :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
Sent.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey